Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confidence and Psychology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boll_rules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boll_rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confidence and Psychology
    Posted: 02/09/2007 at 12:19am

Hey guys, this is a thing that has affected me for ages. It is a real problem. I  can play the shots fine but I am too scared to play them, especially with my backhand. I just hit the ball lightly and dont fully go for it like I should . I don't use my full technique. Eg, I could counte loop but instead I just block or i dont  topspin drive the ball hard like I should but instead just loop it lightly. I think this is a psychology problem. Is there a way to improve confidence? People who are shytter can beat me. It's really bothering. HELP!!

Sponsored Links

*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 1:07am
Do a barrell Roll
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 1:21am

Ditto problem for me.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 2:18am
Force yourself to go for those shots, the harder you hit with good technique the less chance of it going out.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 4:03am
Originally posted by PhilsterT PhilsterT wrote:

Ditto problem for me.

Ok, you can do a barrell roll too then
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 4:07am
Originally posted by *JC* *JC* wrote:

Originally posted by PhilsterT PhilsterT wrote:

Ditto problem for me.

Ok, you can do a barrell roll too then

how do i barrel roll?
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 4:18am
Press R or Z twice
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 4:35am
rzr

did i do it right?Ermm
culvch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culvch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 4:41am
Hi Boll_rules,

I had the same problem too. Perhaps we are too afraid of loosing therefore we do not dare to use the technique we already know aggressively.

What I do now is that I make a conscious effort to think how I want to play the short. For example, if there is a loop from the opponent to my forehand that is high and not too spin, I will consciously force myself to smash the ball rather than as usual just to block it that may enable my opponent time to recover and attack aggressively.

I think it's all about conscious effort and if you keep on doing it, it will become your habit and automatically you will recognise what shot to play next time.

Hope the above will help. 

CUL
STW 1Ply Hinoki C Pen
FH DHS PF4-50 (Red)
BH RITC 802-40 (Black)

crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 5:02am
Boll rules, here is what you have to do. Find a trainig partner that is at your level or a bit higher.  Give him 5 points advantage. This way you have no choice but to constantly use your best shots and concentrate on not making mistakes.  Eventualy you'll get used to playing at full capacity.
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 8:31am
You can also trying playing with partners who are at higher levels . In this game , the pressure is off from you and anyway playing blocks , pushes will not be useful . This will allow your mind to play those aggresive shots which are in your bag but not used .
I think important point which is keeping your stokes in the bag is the thinking in your mind which says that If
I play safer stroke , I can keep the rally on & produce an error from the other side . When you start playing with a higher level , the time you play a higher play it is cleaned up immediately . This will enforce you to intiate a aggresive attack.
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 9:20am
Try practice routines that are competitive -award yourself point for executing the problem shot and write down score then compare with partner
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
waldiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 12:40pm

That is very popular problem between players that they can not fight in the games. I had this problem with my young players who their technique was very good but day lost very simply in important matches. So considering my experience I can recommend following procedure for you to improve your mental confidence in game.

1.      don�t do your exercises with only one partner. Many players do very beautiful hits against their familiar opponent that they use to them. So it is better you do exercises with different opponents. but not each session. For example every week you can change your main partner. But each session at the end of exercise do games with different partners or I suggest to do service receiving each session against different players .

2.      do much training for attach from Bose sides against long services with different spins. If you can improve this ability you won't lose regular situations for attacking.

3.  for a period of time ( 2 or 3 month and each week 2 or 3 session.)   when you are parleying against your friends concentrate to attack each ball that are coming out from the table. But remember that your friends should not inform about your plan. With out any attention to beat your opponent only concentrate to do attacks for out coming balls, specially services.  The important point is that you should do your attacks with control and most of them with looping. Not with close eyes!! Consider a penalty for your self for balls that came out and you don't attack those. For example for each ball 500 meter running. As a whole do your regular games to improving your abilities not only for winning.

4.      I think the most important situation that players are nervous is when they are against an opponent who has equal level. When you are playing with stronger players you have not any thing for losing so you are comfortable and you can do your best. But when  opponent is in same level you have much stress.  However may be you don't like it but  I suggestion do every week some games on  some things, for example a sandwich, against players are in your level. Not so weaker or stronger!!!!!!!!  ( be careful don�t go to big gamble!!!!!!!!)

5.      at last I can suggest you to do physical exercises. If your body be prepared your nerves will do better work.

do TT for fun and pleasure even if you are professional.!!!

Good luck

Blade: KLS
FH: Bryce
BH: Nittaku hammand
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 12:53pm
rrzz...rzrz....

Nothing...
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

rzr

did i do it right?Ermm

he said r OR z twice.. so here we go

rr.. nope

let's try.. zz

nope

jc that sucked, didn't work at all
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 2:40pm
i have this problem too sometimes, i just try to relax as much as I can and not care if i lose
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boll_rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2007 at 8:54pm
Thanks guys. This was a lot of help. I hope that now I can play with confidence and to my full potential.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 3:03am
he's a rip... you rub your stomach with one hand and pat head with the other while doing squats... THEN you can barrel roll... jc's a hacker man.. r and z!?!?
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Boll_rules Boll_rules wrote:

Hey guys, this is a thing that has affected me for ages. It is a real problem. I  can play the shots fine but I am too scared to play them, especially with my backhand. I just hit the ball lightly and dont fully go for it like I should . I don't use my full technique. Eg, I could counte loop but instead I just block or i dont  topspin drive the ball hard like I should but instead just loop it lightly. I think this is a psychology problem. Is there a way to improve confidence? People who are shytter can beat me. It's really bothering. HELP!!

Keep practising it, and don't be too concerned about losing. The wins will come later.  Get a coach or knowledgeable player to help you out, as well.  This is advice I give to myself as well!  I'm a 2000+ level( Canadian) player, and I spin the ball regularly with lower level players, from forehand and backhand. And I'm successful. But when it comes to playing higher, or as high, level players , I mostly spin on service return and rely on blocks and a few hits for almost every other shot.  I want to get to the point where I'm top spinning with 2000+ players on a majority of rallies, but it's not going to happen overnight.  Keep at it!
Ayrton jouti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrton jouti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 7:06pm
Wink
Thanks

I have too this problem.

I will do your recommendation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boll_rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 10:10pm
 Is there any way to raise your confidence in a match when you are not steady?
???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 11:43pm
imagine that you are a better player and if that fails try to imagine that you are timo boll
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2007 at 12:30am
try to play the point and not the match. i try only to think about the score in between points.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boll_rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2007 at 1:35am
This happens a lot when you're hitting low no spin balls.  
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2007 at 8:27am
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

try to play the point and not the match. i try only to think about the score in between points.

very good advice
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2007 at 6:19am
try going from club to club and challenge players so that you wouldnt be that nervous, dont be afraid to lose
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2007 at 9:42am
I'm sure pretty much everyone has this problem. Definitely when I'm afraid to lose I get nervous. Once, this 14-year-old kid came to my club, well-coached, and I played him. Since I'm about 8 years older than him, my honour was at stake. It was a very close match, and I had him at match point. Then he came back and won it.

But because he was younger and I was afraid of benig shamed, I got nervous and couldn't make myself play aggressively, with my hardest loops. I reverted back to medium loops and blocks. And I know I play better when in aggressive mode because I usually control the pace with third-ball attacks and attacking their serves.

I think the more you put yourself in those situations that make you nervous (whether it be at a tournament, or whatever), and force yourself to play the way you want to, to overcome your mind, then you will be able to perform under pressure. I'm still working on that.

I remember reading either a thread or an article about this. There are 3 R's: Release, Relax and Re-focus. I don't remember what Release means, but yeah try to relax and clear your mind before each point, especially if the nerves are ruining your serving confidence too, which I've experienced before.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic