FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long serves
    Posted: 02/10/2007 at 2:02am
I have hard time against some pen holders who serve long with side and under spin. I can return the short servers with side and undersping towards my left - I normally reverse the underspin to topspin with opposide side spin. I tried the same to the long servers, but the ball does not lift high. I tried to push, but the balls just go somewhere. I don't think push is going to work against long serves having side spin. Any ideas how to return those?
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 2:43am
Try to loop all long balls. Learn to loop against bottomspin. 
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 6:16am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I have hard time against some pen holders who serve long with side and under spin.

Hi Varghesep
there are two kinds of long underspin serve:-
1.The normal chop with sidespin
2. The fast one with backspin that bounces on the end line

1. of course practise looping it. If you contact over the table loop more forward. if you are letting it drop then loop more upward so that it goes high.
Problems come if you are missing your loop or your opponent likes it too much. After all he gave you a long backspin, so maybe he wants you to loop!
There is another option: Let the ball drop and open your racket slightly and do a gentle roll topspin. Make sure the length is good. Its not a power shot. It gives the opponent difficulty because they are expecting spin and speed. It also gives you time to get ready for the next ball.

2. the hardest serve for amateurs to return effectively (IMHO), usually there is direction change as well .
again opening the racket and lifting is probably the best option. When its done to the backhand it will beat you if you are too close. The key is to get length on yr return. Its no good doing a loop that is weak.
some practice against this serve every week will really help your game.

BTW
hows the backhand going with the new rubber!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 12:06pm
varghesep, Try getting a partner to duplicate this type of deep serve, varying the location on crossover, BH, and FH - practice looping them.  Once you can hit a decent percentage of these, more frequently try for fast loops right at the crossover or wide FH away from the server.  If you were having a problem returning the majority of this deep bottom/side spinny serve, then you really have nothing to lose trying to decicively finish the point/put the opponent under pressure - you were missing these anyway and giving your opponent free giggles.  When you land them, you give your opponent motivation to try something else, unless he continues to want lose his initiative on the serve and watch his formerly successful easy point producing serves get punished for winners. 

If he does this a lot to your backhand, learn how to drive through this serve at its high point and place it down his FH line deep by following through forward and upwards depending on the amount of backspin and adjust your aim point based on the sidespin - this return usually produces a winner. It is too fast.  The server is usually parked in the BH corner waiting to pounce on a slowish push and gets surprised by your attack.  You can still do this return with BTY Tackiness Chop, it is just reacts to spin some more and is slower than most rubbers.  You will still be able to surprise him and take away his initiative/easy points and put you in a better position.  I like doing this BH, it is effective.

Even if you miss your attack, but are reasonably close, it will still make the opponent realize how close he came to losing an easy point and weigh his chances of continuing to use this serve.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 5:02pm
Thanks for the tips.

Let me answer pingpongpaddy's qn first. After you advised me to try different rubber on the back end, I tried it. In the last 1 month, I improved my game a lot. One sad thing is that I don't chop as I used to do because I try to smash or loop from my FH and smash or loop from the BH. Against certain players, I do chops to get points. The problem I face sometimes is that my chops are becoming cuts which causes the ball to bounce instead of dieing with underspin. Another problem is that a good % of the top players in my club are hard loopers. I have found a number of loopers don't have problems in returning my chops - this means the chops are not good. I have hard time also chop their loops back because of heavy top or side spin. There are players who don't loop (I mean even among the top players). I have good time against them because I chop continuously and one of the chop puts them in toruble.

Few of my other qns:

1. What should be the hitting point on the ball for balls coming with left side spin on to your FH. The ball is curving towards you. I tried to loop from the outer shell as I used to for top spin (like counter drives). That did not help because the ball just falls down. What should be the hitting point? bottom or back?

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 8:32pm
If its long kill it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 10:25am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Thanks�for the tips.

Let me answer pingpongpaddy's qn first. After you advised me to try different rubber on the back end, I tried it. In the last 1 month, I improved my game a lot. One sad thing is that I don't chop as I used to do because I try to smash or loop from my FH and smash or loop from the BH.

If you practice chopping it is still possible to chop low and heavy with Tackiness. However probably just learning to have strong backspin pushes in your table play is the first step, and this may take a while, once those stroke s are grooved you can try chopping against topspin again . Important thing is to develop good strokes both sides of body.

Quote What should be the hitting point on the ball for balls coming with left side spin�on to your FH.�The ball is curving towards you. I tried to loop from the outer shell as I used to for top spin (like counter drives). That did not help because the ball just falls down. What should be the hitting point? bottom or back?

Difficult to understand what shot you mean but if ball goes in the net open the racket, if it goes too high close the racket!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 11:41am
In your particular case I would learn to push the long side-backspin serve. Learning to loop these balls will be the next step but it won't be easy for you as pingpongpaddy pointed out above.
Some help on the pushing: As you are training to become a passive player, a push is a good return for you. You want your opponent to loop, but you don't want him to get an easy kill. Your push needs to be long, low and spinny *and* it has to be placed somewhere where your opponent has to move to be able to be in a good looping position. The other important thing about placement is to think how you can restrict the possible angles your opponent can play. It's very important for a passive player to learn to dictate the most likely return in order to be able to position yourself perfectly. This is a huge part of TT, but you'll need a *LOT* of experience to be able to do this effectively. This is one of the reasons why it is not a good idea to try to be a real long distance chopper at this early point in your TT career. It's much better to stay relatively close to the table and try to base you passive game mostly on blocks at this point. Block in a way that he has to move to make his next attack. Block aggressively - not only hold the racket against the ball, but move it forward through the ball and slightly upwards (=wrist action and a bit of forearm). This will get your general level of play up much faster.
Pushing long sidespin from a righty to your bh: The ball wants to go to your right to you opponent's bh corner because of the sidespin. To prevent this, you have to change your racket side angle from this "-" to "/" and then push. An easy way to push these balls is to raise the elbow and make the racket tip point down in the direction of the floor. Now adjust the racket side angle to "/" and push. It's more important to push low and deep than pushing with extreme spin. You have to watch for the amount of backspin and sidespin in the serve. The more sidespin the less backspin will be in the ball.
Good luck.
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 12:56pm
I generally do this FH left sidespin+backspin and this is very good serve to have . Also If you mix this with bh right sidespin+backspin , it will put you in control of the 3rd ball . The best I think is reverse left side spin + backspin /topspin/deadspin as the return will come back to your fh and you are ready for the loop .
Coming back to question how to lift this for fh pendulum:
check the player racket movement , If racket going down + moving sideways , put ur racket on open position and / . If it is going up & side , it is with top spin , so block it with / .

If it is a reverse pendulum then it is right side spin , so the racket angle should be other way round.

I also observe that If you serve left sidespin which curves into fh in the middle , could be a useful serve .The same is the case for right side spin curving into the backhand . The reason for this I suppose is that people tend to serve sidespin mostly to backhand . Rightsidespin is easier to pick from backhand & vice versa.
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic