FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

looping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looping
    Posted: 02/10/2007 at 2:09am
I was advised that when I loop, the hand should go at the head level - more like saluting. Also follow through of the hand should be to the chest level or side to side is not good. What you guys think about this? I'm practing loops, and follow through towards my head causes the balls to go off the table. Is it because I don't close the blade and keeping it open during the follow through? My other question is what is the deciding factor whether or not you should smash rather than loop? Are the loops against under spin only?
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 2:42am
Generally I use loops to build the topspin, I first use a loop then a loop drive. If the loops goes off the table, you aren't generating enough topspin, you need to brush more up on the ball. You might be hitting it too close to the table for a salute,unless you want a high arcing loop. Never open the paddle open for loops against topspin. If the ball is high enough, smash it. You can loop any ball, but smashs generally you go for winners. 
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 6:29am
I used to have this trouble.
Distinguish between chopped ball you contact at highest point
and chopped ball you take late (letting it drop)

Against the high ball loop forward closed racket (contact 2 oclock on ball)( called sinking drive because it dives to floor)
Against low late ball do lifting drive (contact 3 oclock)
with high arc strong spin less forward speed.

About where you racket finishes dont even think about it.

Salute is a useful term to get beginners on right track.

Now you are a player concentrate on how you contact the ball. If that is correct the finish will also be correct

Lastly,
kill the ball when it is short and high, when you are sure not to miss! otherwise drive or push
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 4:55pm
Be very careful with the salute though. If your loop stroke ends with your racket close to your head, then when you get sloppy/tired, you might hit yourself in the head pretty hard. If the racket ends close to your head, it likely means that you're not following through enough (eg. elbow is low, and forearm swings the racket into your head)
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 5:20pm
I hit my head once, and have already a cut between my left and right eye. This was few months ago.

Do you suggest the follow through over the head? What about to the left shoulder?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I hit my head once, and have already a cut between my left and right eye. This was few months ago.

Do you suggest the follow through over the head? What about to the left shoulder?

I'd say your elbow should be about halfway up the height of your head, then the racket should be about centered over your head.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 8:27pm
Don't focus on the look of your loop, as long as you concentrate on "enveloping" the ball and closing over it as you loop it'll go in.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 11:16pm
I don't pay much mind where my swing finishes as it is dictated by how I contacted the ball, hit through the shot, which are mainly controlled by how fast I need to ready for the next shot.  More distance from table or slower loop = more time to go for a bigger swing.  When I FH loop against backspin, I let the ball come down some,  crouch down, explode up and use mostly upwards motion.  I finish anywhere from my chin to the ceiling tiles, depending on how fast I need to be ready for a possible return.

Against a topspin ball, there is less time to get ready, especially closer to the table, so the stroke is usually more compact, but at mid-distance with good position, the big swing is on and I generally finish with my elbow in front of my neck and the blade over or in front of my left shoulder.

pingpongpaddy and tt_Freak say it more concisely and are issuing words of gold for free.

BTW, I need help pimping my wardrobe.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2007 at 11:23pm
In any situation you can still follow through with your stroke; it only uses up a few microseconds to do a regular follow through above your head. Unless you overswing heavily. Just get used to following through on all your strokes, otherwise you're wasting some power potential.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2007 at 12:16am
just focus on hitting through the ball or "through" the top of the ball for loops and you'll have a good followthrough. Followthrough should be 100 percent of distance you needed to get to ball.
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2007 at 12:30pm
i am having the same follow through problems i keep stopping short because i am scared i am going to miss and i dont even use fast equipment
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2007 at 1:18pm
really the main thing about follow through is that it should flow into prep for next shot.
so play shot 100% (think about contact)
Then Recover 100% (think get ready)
let coaches analyse follow through!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2007 at 1:33pm
I also don't pay much attention.  Further back you just must make sure to rotate your body some.  And don't be afraid to swing the racket.  Make sure to keep your racket closed when looping against top spin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic