Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grippier than Fastarc G1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grippier than Fastarc G1
    Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:45pm
Hello,
I'm using G1 MAX on both sides, a little bit heavier for my taste. But my issue is that sometimes I feel that it doesn't grip the ball. When the incoming ball is slow and/or floating I feel that I can't penetrate the sponge, the ball just goes into the net. If I'm not in position this is even more probable to happen. I'm an amateur and I'm sure that my technique is not good, but I'm looking for a topsheet with more grip.

Any suggestions? No Butterfly products.
Anyone tried a boosted/tuned G1? I'm thinking of trying Falco Tempo Long booster on it.

Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:46pm
Any softer rubber.
Yasaka Rakza 7 soft etc.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:55pm
vega pro
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

Hello,
I'm using G1 MAX on both sides, a little bit heavier for my taste. But my issue is that sometimes I feel that it doesn't grip the ball. When the incoming ball is slow and/or floating I feel that I can't penetrate the sponge, the ball just goes into the net. If I'm not in position this is even more probable to happen. I'm an amateur and I'm sure that my technique is not good, but I'm looking for a topsheet with more grip.

Any suggestions? No Butterfly products.
Anyone tried a boosted/tuned G1? I'm thinking of trying Falco Tempo Long booster on it.

I have to say it is a bold claim to say that the topsheet of the G-1 is not grippy enough to properly grip the ball. In fact it is one of the grippiest rubbers made by ESN (similiar to T05 and I have not heared from anyone that the T05 is not grippy). You already named the issue that is responsible for you trouble with the G-1: technique (or lack thereof...). The topsheet is very firm and the sponge medium-hard (47.5° on ESN), so it is not that easy to get the most out of it and you simply need to have a certain level to get maximum spin and speed from the G-1.
That being said, you could try the C-1 on fh. It has the same grippy topsheet but a slightly softer sponge (45°).
Lightzys recommendation might be a good solution for your bh.
One last word: The G-1 is very similar to the Vega Pro (sort of an upgrade). You very probably wouldn't gain anything by switching to Vega Pro.

Edited by Nightsky - 03/03/2019 at 3:13pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 3:25pm
it’s easy to blame the equipment, get some coaching.
Video the sessions and rinse and repeat.

Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 4:18pm
+1 to Lightzy and Nightsky.
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 5:01pm
I asked for suggestions, I haven't blamed anything, don't feel attacked. I want a rubber more appropriate for my skills.
I had Vega Pro before G1 and overall I prefer G1, Vega is bouncier than G1, G1 has much more control on the table on pushes and drop shots.
Don't worry about my practice, I do it as much as I can.

passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 5:22pm
If anyone has used this and mxp since the last thread a year ago I would love a comparison as currently using mxp both sides.

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 6:10pm
The G1 top sheet has about as much grip as an ESN is going to have unless it's a Chinese hybrid. You could try switching to S1 which is softer and lighter than G1 . 
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 6:11pm
For me G-1 is also one of the grippiest (non tacky) rubbers in the market.
Maybe T05 is a notch grippier, but the difference is extremely small.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 6:27pm
Maybe Baracuda?  Or C1 or Baracuda Big Slam?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 7:08pm
I agree with Lightzy, sounds like you would be better off with a softer sponge (from med-hard to med).
Someone recommended C-1, which I can easily second. Other options would include Vega Japan or Bluefire m2, but those are faster and not as good when it comes to control. Another option would be Aurus Select, which has thin and soft topsheet so ball acceleration is even easier. But the feel is quite different.
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:59am
G-1 has a very grippy topsheet, fantastic for serving and serve receive, but I cannot seem to get it to work well on thin brush loops.  (My fault for sure)

It must have something to do with my 'game' or "lack of game".  I've tried it twice but just hasn't worked well.  Reminds me of Peter79's original thread on it back in 2011.  Also on other forums some have had issues with thin brush looping.

I think part of the reason might be a slightly harder topsheet because it does feel harder than 47.5.

But pros and semi-pros who use and love it far outweigh those who have 'issues'.  I think some equipment just might not work for some people.

You might consider Hexer Powergrip if you are looking for something that is super easy out of the box, uses natural rubber topsheet and speed is similar with G-1 and I think the grip is great.  Not as grippy as G-1 but 'easier' access to spin with a slightly softer sponge and topsheet.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:33am
This isn't G1's problem. Like many have said, you need softer rubber until you learn proper footwork and stroke. R42, M2, EL-P, FX-P, R7 Soft, Vega Euro/Japan, etc. There are plenty of choices. For BH, you prob need a softer one like M3, R37, R7 soft. 
KomiTTa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KomiTTa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:53am

But my issue is that sometimes I feel that it doesn't grip the ball.  
I had similar experience. Important factor is maybe the blade you are using.
Let me elaborate and maybe you can get some tips from my experience.
To begin with, Fastarc G-1 is one of the best grip/control rubbers I used. Pairs nicely with all allwod, and some other blades. Proven record on Violin, Acoustic, Flame Carbon, Ludeack...and more...
 Couple years ago I got Clipper CR - WRB with another rubber, initially big disappointment, poor control, too fast, too stiff, too sharp STIGA wing edges, too...I don't know what... , and then Nittaku Black G-1 super thick 2.0 saved it, when it was close to be thrown to trash can. With G1, I could control the ball precisely with respectful spin, nice serves and short game, ...
But, last year I got myself Carbonado290 w new hype of the day ESN tensors, and guess what..,also, too fast, too stiff, too HARD, too .. I do kno...What to do, remembered, G-1 , but,..this time to my surprise, G-1 did not work as I expected, Hard to grip the ball consistently, specially using brush spinny strokes, poor to so-so control overall, sometimes popping up pushes, sometimes so spinny sailing over the table..
 My, supposed to be heavy backspin serves became good confidence booster for my opponents, I looked like a coach feeding balls, when serving, instead of netting, they were flipping, looping, smashing, chiquiting, name it....and I was loosing tournament and league points while listening over 'n over "CchhOoooo  and CchOooollllleee .
Point is -Fastarc G-1 is not as good with every blade. There are still unknowns, so, I can't explain!!! Interestingly, for example, while MX-S was not good as G-1 on other blades, it was much better on Carbonado.
  To summarize, assuming you take good care of your rubbers, and your G1 is not too old, maybe your blade is too hard, or too fast for y'ur level, has a too short dwell time,  ... or for another reason can't use full advantage of G1's gripp capability.

When the incoming ball is slow and/or floating I feel that I can't penetrate the sponge
For these balls, specially when above table, I personally haven't discovered better rubber than Barracuda, Yet!!!

I'm thinking of trying Falco Tempo Long booster on it.
It's actually not bad idea. though I never tried it w G1. Do NOT buy C-1, I bought it, to try as BH rubber, when learning wristy BH topspin over table, sold on it because of advertised as, same topsheet as G1 but softer sponge, also praised by a guy on German forum. Well, sometimes, good logic thinking, having bad info, results into bad tt experience. C1 sponge is based on medium hardness old ESN recipe,  boosted to bring speed to norms of the period, and as it softens down a bit, they got new product. While initially good for a month, or so, it deteriorated quickly. I used over 20 rubbers, and when unglued C1 shrunk the most and domed the most. Looks like giant dry red mushroom cap. I don't even have desire to boost it now to bring it to original size and shape, though used only a month or so.

Edited by KomiTTa - 03/04/2019 at 1:48pm
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 2:40am
Would recommend Barracuda big slam. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
RoyPips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyPips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 4:46am
Originally posted by KomiTTa KomiTTa wrote:

But my issue is that sometimes I feel that it doesn't grip the ball.  
I had similar experience. Important factor is maybe the blade you are using.
Let me elaborate and maybe you can get some tips from my experience.
To begin with, Fastarc G-1 is one of the best grip/control rubbers I used. Pairs nicely with all allwod, and some other blades. Proven record on Violin, Acoustic, Flame Carbon, Ludeack...and more...
 Couple years ago I got Clipper CR - WRB, big disappointment, poor control initially with another rubber, too fast, too stiff, too sharp STIGA wing's edges, too...I don't know what... , and then Nittaku Black G-1 super thick 2.0 saved it, when it was almost decided to go to trash can. With G1, I could control the ball precisely with respectful spin, nice serves and short game, ...
But, last year I got myself Carbonado290 w new hype of the day ESN tensors, and guess what..,also, too fast, too stiff, too HARD, too .. I do kno...What to do, remembered, G-1 , but,..this time to my surprise, G-1 did not work as I expected, Hard to grip the ball consistently, specially using brush spinny strokes, poor to so-so control overall, sometimes popping up pushes short'n'High, sometimes spinny sailing over the table..

Yes, if the G1-1 don't grip, the fault is most propably in the blade. I have big problems looping and gripping with my stiff blades, but with flexible blades the grip is sometimes even too good... Big smile
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 4:54am
NextLevel, I think, uses G1 on harder/stiffer blades and I don't think I'm seeing grip issues in his vids.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 6:14am
I also have the same problem with older-gen, harder ESN rubbers like G1, Adidas P7, Vega Pro - since the introduction of the plastic ball.  The "fault" certainly lies with my overly-brushy FH stroke - when I get a solid contact on the ball everything is fine, but on very thin contacts I have exactly the same problem of a feeling of ball slip and a dud result.  Had no issues with cell balls.

For me (might not apply to you), softer sponges help to some degree, but it depends on how fine a contact you want to use (and you might not like the other characteristics that some with softer sponges).  I've found more recent ESN rubbers use softer topsheets (Omega 7), or more matte-effect rubber compositions (Rasanter), and these completely resolve this for me.  I'd say Rasanter R47 is worth a try.

It is, of course, always possible to magic up a coach from your back pocket and spend lots of time reworking your stroke mechanics.  I'm not sure this option, however rational and sensible on paper, is as simple or practical as many would like to imagine.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

NextLevel, I think, uses G1 on harder/stiffer blades and I don't think I'm seeing grip issues in his vids.

The thing is that what people think they are doing when they are brushing is not what the physics and logic shows.  You need the ball to get into the wood even when you brush and some people try to brush with as little wood as possible hoping the ball will not slip.

I just try to use the speed of my technique to generate the rotation.  So even on slow topspin,  I focus on making contact then adding the rotation. 

People have argued that they can do the slow topspins that I do with G1 with their T05. In the end, technique is king but if the rubber is slipping, improve your contact.  Or find another rubber you prefer.  But usually, what you think is brushing is not brushing. And with the plastic ball these days, brushing gets you into more trouble than it is worth.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 9:52am
Hello Thot, 

Sorry I don't boost therefore can't tell you how a boosted G-1 plays. From the way you described, perhaps a more forgiving rubber might suit you? Usually that would mean a softer sponged rubber. Or you could try the G-1 with a thinner sponge?

As far as top sheet grip goes, the G-1 is one of the grippiest ESN rubbers for me. To list 3 more, the Tibhar MX-S, Nittaku C-1 and Cornilleau Target Pro H47 too. 

I can understand the majority recommendations for the C-1. It has the same topsheet as the G-1 but on a softer sponge (S1). Which might help when you're not in optimal position, and requires lesser power than the G-1 to bring out the full speed of  the rubber. 

The MX-S is more demanding on technique and positioning, while the H47 is faster. 

A sound recommendation to you, IMO would be a C-1. 

Cheers! 
-Chewy 
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 7:13pm
Don't think there is one at least non tacky.
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 7:55pm
The illusion of slipping may not have to do with the rubber's grip but weight. What blade are you using? G-1 leans on the heavy side and 2 sheets on a heavy blade maybe be slowing your stroke. When "lifting" soft ball or backspin, you need a good deal of racket speed.

I use short pips and I don't feel slipping.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic