Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Haifu Blue Whale II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haifu Blue Whale II
    Posted: 03/02/2011 at 8:32am
I have a question about the tuning of BW II. Some months ago I purchased a BW II which was permanently tuned and it didn't have a protection film on the sponge. Today, my new BW II arrived (I am not sure if it is permanently tuned or not) and it did have a protection film on the sponge. Does it mean that the sponge is not permanently tuned and the effect will be gone after some weeks? Or now, they put a film even on the permanently tuned rubbers?
Member of the Wang Hao Ownss fan club :).
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 10:00am
@corsuse : The best possible way to explain this is the quality control problem with Haifu. Theoretically speaking, every Haifu BWII which is tuned (having glue layer on sponge) should have that protection film on it.However, there are times, when due to bad quality control at Haifu, that sheet gets missed out. I once had a Haifu Shark II delivered to me with a protection sheet on the sponge and missing the protection sheet on the rubber topsheet itself.

Edited by anubhav1984 - 03/02/2011 at 10:01am
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 10:18am
Good news.

So even permanently tuned rubbers have also this protection sheet on the sponge?
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 10:29am
Yeah. They do! At least, all the Haifu rubbers that i have had till date had it on the sponge!
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 8:41am
To determine whether your BW2 is permtuned or not, there is a simple test. After you pull off the protective films, a non-perm tuned rubber forms a significant reverse dome. But is it`s lying flat, then it is perm tuned.

BTW, I didn`t like perm tuned BW2. The early, non-permanent tuned rubbers were much more dynamic and powerful and were very responsive to re-boosting, the new ones` sponge feels dead.
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 11:39pm
The right way to see if BWII is tuned or untuned is to check for the presence of the cover sheet on the sponge.  

Permanent tuning is a prestressing of the sponge before gluing the topsheet onto it.  I believe that all BWII sold now are "permanently tuned" in this way. 

Factory tuned BWII is given a further treatment wherein an already "Permanently Tuned" sheet is further treated by impregnating the sponge with Haifu Oil.  The tuned sponge is then also coated with a very thick adhesive layer that help slow down the evaporation of the oil from the sponge.  Factory tuned BWII has a thick clear protective sheet on the sponge with the Haifu name printed across the protective sheet in a series of diagonal rows. 

Your can immediately check for factory tuning by looking at the clear window on the rear of the package.  If you see the Haifu name printed repeatedly within the window then you are looking at the factory tune protective sheet.    If you only see black sponge, then you are looking at untuned BWII with "Permanent Tuning".   (Note: Permanent tuning gets a small red sticker with yellow writing on the front of the package.  Old sheets of BWII don't have this sticker.)

Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 3:19am
don't get permanant tuned mixed up with permanant tension. Nothing is permanantly tuned. The second statement from JRS explains how that is. But even still there is pre-tuned permanant tension and untuned permanant tension.

They are now only "tuned" with Haifu Water-Solubility Bond. The older and better sheets of BW2 were pre-tuned with Haifu Oil (the brown oil) and then the WSB was layered on about 10-15 times.
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 5:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic