Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hitting on the run?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hitting on the run?
    Posted: 01/31/2007 at 10:16pm
Sometimes When I run and slam a ball, I miss by a fraction, Is there a tip to hitting on the run. Should I tone down my power on loops/smashs, since there is energy coming from my running. Or should I try a jump stop before I hit. I've seen many pros miss pushs on the the run and smashs.
Sponsored Links

WLiqin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLiqin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2007 at 10:30pm
well i think there are a few things to consider, the type of spin ur hitting against and how far away is the ball? Can you get to the ball in just one step? if not i suggest the jump stop but instead of trying to smash i would suggest loop by inncorporating lots of body rotation. Well the reason why pros miss is because the speeed they play at is so much faster then ours that slight miscalculations at those speeds result in a miss.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2007 at 11:40pm
Well it's most either a high ball near the side of the net, or a bad drop shot. You are usually far back from the table. It requires running in. Theres a running smash that you can do near the side of the net that is straight down the line. I've seen wang liqin do it,maybe he was showing off. I can do it 8/9 times. I've seen zoran do the same thign, but it got returned and it was pretty funny. I've seen persson attempt a running backhand smash, but he missed. I see sometimes pros run in and attempt a push, but it goes long. It takes running to get to the ball. I don't think there is time for a jump stop. It doesn't even have to be high , it can just be short with and spin.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2007 at 1:29am
Learn the crossover footwork, you don't have to swing so hard as long as you can plant your foot and pivot.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 6:52am
improve your footwork side, crossover and also backward forward movement.
Falkenberg (for side to side)
N (for backward forward)
If you do these drills for consistency not only will yr movement improve but your ability to watch the ball while moving also.

Forget about WLQ for a while, see if YOU can get a 20 to 30 shot rally doing falkenberg going (good blocker as partner needed)
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
holoclothes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holoclothes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 7:04am
all about footwork, the purpose of which is to maintain your center of gravity and stroke integrity
"If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow"
BLADE: Yasaka Neptune
FH: Yasaka New Era
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 10:36am
When I do lunge-loops (reaching far on the forehand side), I used to be in mid-jump at the point of contact, and that made it really hard to get proper contact, usually whiffing completely on the ball. I found that if I try to swing/pivot while my feet are still on the ground (and only leave the ground after making contact), I don't miss much. Since if you're in mid-jump you definitely have less control than if your feet are still on the ground.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 3:26pm
For the crossover footwork, do you try to hit it when both feet are planted, or whenever there the ball comes. 
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

For the crossover footwork, do you try to hit it when both feet are planted, or whenever there the ball comes.�

In general the whole idea of the ministep footwork is to keep the feet in contact with the floor, as that maximises control and power. (you cant change direction if you are in mid air for instance)
However running steps (crossover)are necessary to get to the ball. I think that wide forehand is usually done with one foot on the floor. The swing of the fh on the wide ball means you pivot around and end up facing the fh diagonal. Often yr next shot may be a bh from there. (to practice this specifically the falkenberg controller will be blocking from the fh corner if hes right handed, so do the exercise to bh corner AND Fh corner)
In addition i'd say falkenberg helps you to play shots even when your 'wrong' foot is on the floor. The more you do thes drills, the better you become at dealing with every possible type of shot.
If you do exercises like falkenberg for consistency where your partner coooperates such that you get rallies of twenty plus strokes you start to learn how to deal with all the variations of steps and blends of mini and crossover steps needed (For instance where the ball clips the net during the exercise breaking the rhythm, it should be a point of honour to adjust and carry on). While you are learning give yourself half an hour of consistency work at steady speed before going to town with the big drives.
After six months you'll find your consistent level at which you can do 20+ will probably be much faster. So your level of play will have risen significantly.
One more thing As well as watching your steps make sure your consistent drive is landing near the end line even when you hit softer shots (requires high arc). To be effective topspin must be good length.
enough!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2007 at 6:03pm
Yeah, one foot is still on the ground. I'm a right-hander, so when I lunge for a forehand loop, my right foot is still on the ground and my left foot is crossing over during the time that I make contact with the ball. Previously, or when I get sloppy, I would make contact during the time when my right foot has left the ground. At that point it's very hard to be consistent because both feet are off the ground.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic