Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hitting the Wall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting the Wall
    Posted: 02/13/2010 at 6:03pm
So this is how my personal TT story goes: I used to play around on the weekends at my local Chinese school in middle school. I dropped TT in high school for basketball, and now I'm taking TT back up as a freshman in college for my school team. When I first got to our school club, I was more or less a total novice again, I could only block, couldn't use spin at all, much less return it. Well, needless to say, I was motivated to really improve and I'm really into the game now. I managed to practice plenty over the first semester and winter break, so I'm certainly much improved from the beginning of this year. However, I'm kind of in a rut now because of that improvement. Our school club is divided more or less into two teams that compete, team 1 and 2 (1 being the better team that actually counts to the school record). In that one semester and winter break I've managed to overcome everyone on team 2, and now I find I really get little out of playing them. However, I don't really get the chance to play team 1 people because they prefer to play each other, understandably of course. Basically, I've landed right in between the two teams now, and I still want to get better to make it onto team 1, but I feel like because of the limitations of being able to play better people all the time, my progress is definitely slowing down. So have you guys ever hit a wall in your progress? And if so, how did you handle it? How'd you manage to get over it and keep progressing? 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
Sponsored Links

xLeitix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLeitix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 6:41pm
I feel you. I have trained with two clubs so far, and both times I had the feeling at some point that I am 'in the middle', way too bad for the actual team players and still significantly better (and more commited) than the pure hobby guys. This can be depressing, but I think this is (just like puberty :) ) a phase that you have to get through to be part of your 'team 1'.

I do not think that you are not advancing anymore, just slower than at the beginning. This is, I am afraid, just natural. When you start, especially if you get back from a break, you can really see that almost every session you are better than last time, but of course this stops at some point. The you really have to start working hard for progress :/ probably you just came into this phase, where talent alone does not carry you anymore and you really need to work on the things that don't come natural to you.
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 7:18pm
Glad to hear I'm not alone on this, I understand getting better at things becomes progressively harder the better you are, unfortunately a big ol' catch 22. It's just frustrating being out of place I guess. I find myself losing concentration when I play scrimmage matches with lower players and getting away with it, which isn't what I want. 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 7:24pm
Depending on where you live you ought to be able to find another club to practice at. You also should be able to find an outside coach to help you get to where you want to be. If those two options aren't available, then ask one of the team1 people to help you get to the next level.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 8:36pm
I'm thinking of getting a coach during the summer, there's not really any nearby clubs that I could get to during the school year, since I'm a full time student.  If the team 1 people were available for help and practice I probably wouldn't be in this situation. I can't blame them, they have more riding on their practicing since their goals are to reach college nationals. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 9:57pm
I really feel your pain.   My advice for you is to pay the best player you can find and play with him/her regularly, at least three times a week.   It's the best investment you will make.   Try it.    
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 11:33pm
Some thoughts on getting better practice with the Team 2 players.

1. Most players play some part of their game at a higher level than there overall game.   Try to figure out what each of the other Team 2 players does best and then try to get practice against that thing when playing that player.   If playing games then play to that players strength and don't exploit his weakness.   If doing practice drills, try to do drills using that players strength.

2. Do one-sided practice drills.  Most of us tend to do drills where each player is working equally on their game. This keeps us both interested.  However if the levels of play are different then it is hard to work equally.  Let each person pick a drill (or stroke they want to work on).  It is their drill and the other person works like a coach not really trying to work on their own game, but rather help the other guy.  With weaker players you might want them to feed more multi-ball to you or just hit one shot at you rather than playing out points.  For example instead of looping to their block work on hitting a winning loop away from them and have them quickly start another rally. 

3. Do more footwork drills or try out better (more difficult footwork in matches).  The quality of the shot coming at you is not as important if what you are really working on is your basic footwork. 

4. Work on something you really do badly or are just starting to learn when playing matches with weaker players.  I really only block loops now, but am trying to learn counterlooping.   In some matches with weaker players I set them up to loop and then force myself to try counters instead of blocks on their loops.  This does mean I sometimes lose practice matches to players I probably could beat, but it is worth it to get better quality practice.

5. Do not win points with serves when playing weaker players.  You can practice more difficult serves by yourself later.  Hit good quality, but less tricky or less heavily spinning serves.  These serves can actually be useful as a change of pace from your best serves when playing a match that really counts.  If you are not winning with your serve you have to work harder on being good at the rest of the game so you get better practice from the weaker player.

Hope some of this makes sense and is useful to you.

Mark
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 10:21am
Great suggestions. I think there are ton of people that fall in this category including myself. Sometimes have used tactics you suggested but other times I forget and play half heartedly against lower level players and that really is just no fun and waist of time.
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Some thoughts on getting better practice with the Team 2 players.

1. Most players play some part of their game at a higher level than there overall game.   Try to figure out what each of the other Team 2 players does best and then try to get practice against that thing when playing that player.   If playing games then play to that players strength and don't exploit his weakness.   If doing practice drills, try to do drills using that players strength.

2. Do one-sided practice drills.  Most of us tend to do drills where each player is working equally on their game. This keeps us both interested.  However if the levels of play are different then it is hard to work equally.  Let each person pick a drill (or stroke they want to work on).  It is their drill and the other person works like a coach not really trying to work on their own game, but rather help the other guy.  With weaker players you might want them to feed more multi-ball to you or just hit one shot at you rather than playing out points.  For example instead of looping to their block work on hitting a winning loop away from them and have them quickly start another rally. 

3. Do more footwork drills or try out better (more difficult footwork in matches).  The quality of the shot coming at you is not as important if what you are really working on is your basic footwork. 

4. Work on something you really do badly or are just starting to learn when playing matches with weaker players.  I really only block loops now, but am trying to learn counterlooping.   In some matches with weaker players I set them up to loop and then force myself to try counters instead of blocks on their loops.  This does mean I sometimes lose practice matches to players I probably could beat, but it is worth it to get better quality practice.

5. Do not win points with serves when playing weaker players.  You can practice more difficult serves by yourself later.  Hit good quality, but less tricky or less heavily spinning serves.  These serves can actually be useful as a change of pace from your best serves when playing a match that really counts.  If you are not winning with your serve you have to work harder on being good at the rest of the game so you get better practice from the weaker player.

Hope some of this makes sense and is useful to you.

Mark

Thanks for the input Mark, I'll certainly try to make use of some of this. I especially like the serve idea for scrimmage matches. Thumbs%20Up
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 5:46am
Full marks for a nice topic ,well put over.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 10:06am
Great suggestions!

Similarly, I landed "in the middle" after a year of drilling and hard work. The consistency payoff allowed me to easily beat any of our B division players (US 700-1000) and yet I still lost to almost all of our A division players (US1200-1900).

Mjamja's advice on drilling is particularly telling. Some good suggestions - especially about isolating what each tier two player does well and learning to do it better.

Smart practice will help you get more out of your game.

I now enjoy matches against our B players more because I turn them into practice - i remove my service and third ball attacks (except if the games get to 9-9 :) and focus on countering and placement. Depending on the level of my opponent I will sometimes play to their strengths to see if I can practice consistency against those strengths.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 10:59am
icontek
makes sense to me this will surely increase consistancy ,come to think of it ,this is a great way to practice ,thanks .
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic