Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

home made glue legal after sept 2007?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home made glue legal after sept 2007?
    Posted: 09/07/2006 at 11:22am
I'm wondering what procedure they use to determine what glue you use at a tounament. all they do is sniff rite????

If then, the home made glue I made is almost odorless. then they won't be able to tell rite??

But strictly speaking, is rubber cement + thinner legal?? just the two, nothing else.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
Sponsored Links

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 11:33am
Well my homemade glue I got from cole has d-limonene in it, so you can't smell anything but citrus D-lim is used in food, and is pretty safe overall.

Strictly speaking, rubber cement + thinner (heptane) is the basis for all commercial speedglues (except for the long lasting juic ones possibly), so it's gotta be legal.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 12:15pm
no, i mean after sept 2007.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 12:22pm
whoops. I thought that the ban kicked in in 2008.
if this is true: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5880&KW=speed+glue+ban
then rubber cement itself could be illegal (even without the thinner).
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 1:55pm
I am with you fatcomet, I also belived that the ban didnt kick in until 2008. To Pingpongkf: Does it really matter if they can detect it or not? I thought TT was a sport with a gentlemens agreement, like fair play. So, even if they cant detect it, it would still be cheating and thats not something that I would like to do.

If I was a young and ambisious man I would rather start a petition against the speed glue ban and send it to the ITTF. So, if someone makes such a petition let me know so I can sign it...
The holy grail
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 3:15pm
not to quash your impressionable young dreams speedplay, but nearly all the equipment companies probably already petitioned the ITTF against the glue ban. It's a matter of health, they say.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 3:26pm
it is moved back to septemeber 2008 and will keep being moved back because the ittf knows no one has a chance agaisnt the chnz without speed glue
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 3:29pm
no one except joo and chen
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 7:45pm
The date will not be postponed again. Speed glue is banned after the 2008 Olympics. This is a fact.

To answer your question: Any home made speed glue is *always* illegal unless it is formally approved by the ITTF
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 9:40pm
Is the cement you can get from Home Depot similar to the regular (non-speed) glue? Will it be too sticky? Can I add some lighter fuel in it?
Andreas_90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreas_90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 8:33am
Home made glue isn't legel becuse to play with rubber,blade or glue it ahve to be ITTF signed and I dont think you'r homemade glue is that
Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
BH: Andro Revulotion
FH: Donic Desto F3
Shakehanded
Right-Hand
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 8:40am
The blade does *not* have to be approved by the ITTF. You can make your own blade, but rubbers and glues have to be approved.
Andreas_90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreas_90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 9:13am
Oh yea sry. Not blade my fault
Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
BH: Andro Revulotion
FH: Donic Desto F3
Shakehanded
Right-Hand
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 9:17am
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

not to quash your impressionable young dreams speedplay, but nearly all the equipment companies probably already petitioned the ITTF against the glue ban. It's a matter of health, they say.

Well, I could almost guess that the manufactors hade done that already, what I was suggesting was for the users of the sport (players) also made a petition. Dont know if that has been done too, otherwise it would be good to show ITTF that we want to keep our glue...

As for prohibited glues, from what I can read in my rules, home made glue is approved as long as it doesnt contain any of the illegal substances listed by ITTF. There is no where in the rules that they say anything about approved glues. Thoose are the rules approved by ITTF and translated to swedish... So, where did you find that glues where supposed to be approved?
The holy grail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 10:03am
oh ok, so then 2 more years to go then. the reason I'm asking this is because I just recently started to do my home made glues and I don't want it to go to waste.
www.speedpong.net
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 11:29am
Here is the list of approved glues:

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Glues.asp?
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 11:57am

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

Well, I could almost guess that the manufactors hade done that already, what I was suggesting was for the users of the sport (players) also made a petition. Dont know if that has been done too, otherwise it would be good to show ITTF that we want to keep our glue...

As for prohibited glues, from what I can read in my rules, home made glue is approved as long as it doesnt contain any of the illegal substances listed by ITTF. There is no where in the rules that they say anything about approved glues. Thoose are the rules approved by ITTF and translated to swedish... So, where did you find that glues where supposed to be approved?

you're using the word "approved" incorrectly.

"approved" means that you have presented your "home-made" glue to the BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE [ITTF] EQUIPMENT COMMITTEE, paid them a fee, and then got authorization from them to put their stamp of approval on the can.

if you haven't done that then you're glue is not "approved." 

you are right in saying that they do NOT come out and say clearly that you must play with an "approved" glue (they only say it for the rubber), but it IS implied in the rules (go to EQUIPMENT at the ittf website and look at their TECHNICAL PAPER, for example)--and by the fact that they have an "approved glue" list.

that said, i doubt seriously that your homemade glue would be legal even if you did present it to the BOARD and paid to have the tests done.

cuz, how possible is it to make a good glue and meet the strict requirements they have set??  i think at this moment there's only one glue on the market at present that will be legal in 2008 and that's the JUIC AQUA EFFECT.  well, i dunno about you, but i've tried it and it doesn't stick at all!!

besides, how many of us here on this forum are gonna be playing in a pro tour, or world championship or olympic event anytime soon??  99% of us won't be, so for the overwhelming majority of us, all this business about which glue is legal or not doesn't really matter one bit in the end!!

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 12:26pm
There is a LOT of misinformation on this thread. Speaking frankly, those who don't know of what they speak need to do their research before they start acting like authorities.

Balls and rubbers need to be on the approved list. Approved lists for glues and blades are simply marketing tools at best.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 2:31pm
step 1:
you can't outlaw* sodium hypochlorite but not Chlorox
^^    aspartame but not Equal
^^    acetaminophen but not Tylenol
^^    rubber cement, heptane, dlim etc but not Fair Chack

step 2: replace "outlaw" with "smell"
step 3: replace "smell" with "detect"
step 4: listen to cole
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

There is a LOT of misinformation on this thread. Speaking frankly, those who don't know of what they speak need to do their research before they start acting like authorities.

Balls and rubbers need to be on the approved list. Approved lists for glues and blades are simply marketing tools at best.

Well, that was the point I was trying to reach, but I got corrected due to some language missunderstandings. Approved to me is that its legal. Good to see that you are on the same side as me, now I know that I am right!
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic