Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How does stiffness/hardness effect spin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does stiffness/hardness effect spin
    Posted: 03/17/2016 at 7:59pm
How does the stiffness and hardness of a blade effect its spin?
Sponsored Links

Bobobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2016 at 9:09pm
How about for hardness or is stiffness and hardness the same?
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 1:19am
Rubber plays a more important role.
<3
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 4:51am
Can anyone define the effect using numbers and reference any scientific studies ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 03/18/2016 at 4:52am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by hidasjoki hidasjoki wrote:

I highly disagree with this statement, I feel the blade is the more important role as  I feel your, "base stats"(I.E. speed, control, stiffness, hardness) are all derived from your paddle.. How stiff or flexible a paddle will help dictate what the rubber is going to add to your experience.

Edited by ri0t1 - 03/18/2016 at 9:47am
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by ri0t1 ri0t1 wrote:

I highly disagree with this statement, I feel the blade is the more important role as  I feel your, "base stats"(I.E. speed, control, stiffness, hardness) are all derived from your paddle.. How stiff or flexible a paddle will help dictate what the rubber is going to add to your experience.

1st - can you explain how the manufacturers arrive at speed and control ratings for their blade and the related effects of soft or hard wood and weight.

2nd - can you give an example, Quantifying the numbers of a certain blade using different rubbers and the effects.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 03/18/2016 at 2:38pm
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

1st - can you explain how the manufacturers arrive at speed and control ratings for their blade and the related effects of soft or hard wood and weight.

2nd - can you give an example, Quantifying the numbers of a certain blade using different rubbers and the effects.

These are two requests that will take me some time to write up.  Time is not a luxury I have at the moment.  I am more than happy to share my thought processes on this, and my experience of using different blades/rubber combos over the short 10 years I've played this great game! It just will be a little delayed that is all! Cheers!

Edited by ri0t1 - 03/18/2016 at 4:22pm
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 4:22pm
Agree with what fatt said about the effect of flexiness on spin generation.

Hardness would mostly determine the size of the sweet spot, the harder the blade the bigger the sweet spot in my experience.

Also hardness/softness of the top plies would effect the feedback that you get from the blade, harder outer plies give you a more direct feedback, whereas softer outer plies give you a more muted feel.

I m no way an expert, so feel free to correct my assumptions

Edited by rocketman222 - 03/18/2016 at 4:23pm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Flexier means the ball will stay longer with the blade, the time it flexes and springs back, allowing the ball to be slightly more brushed by the rubber.
We all know this is bunkum.  Time after time, the figures have been put forward to show that it is impossible for the ball to "stay longer with the blade".

A few people smarter than I am and playing as good or better tell me that's a myth but I still believe the above is true.
My question is, 'Why do you choose to believe something that's rubbish rather than believe "people smarter than I am"'?

Please note, I'm not saying there's no truth to the theory that flexier equals better for looping.  I don't know about that and I've never seen any study to show whether or not that might be true.  My point is simply that the belief that the ball stays longer on the bat is conclusively false.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

My question is, 'Why do you choose to believe something that's rubbish rather than believe "people smarter than I am"'?

Please note, I'm not saying there's no truth to the theory that flexier equals better for looping.  I don't know about that and I've never seen any study to show whether or not that might be true.  My point is simply that the belief that the ball stays longer on the bat is conclusively false.

So, there have been studies done that show, for example, that the ball would stay on blade for the same amount of time on say, a Schlager Carbon as it would on a 5-ply ALL blade?

Where? I haven't seen any? Can you show us some links?

Edited by slevin - 03/18/2016 at 6:12pm
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 7:43pm
If you don't think rubber is the main contributor in generating spin, throw some hard bat rubber on your favorite flexible blade and enjoy the massive spin it will generate . Tassie is correct in that the ball time on a blade differs so slightly between different blades with the same rubber that it can't be considered the most important factor. You are arguing against physics not me.
<3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 8:13pm
It is not the most important factor but it is a factor. The sad thing about this sport sometimes is that details may matter at a certain level but at another level they may not. Flexiness does promote vibration and dwell relative.to.stiffness, all other things being equal. Rubber is a bigger contributor to spin generation. These details are unlikely to tell you whether a specific blade is good for you or not
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 10:21pm
Why do these topics have to come up every time when there is an Open ongoing?  I do have data to back up the claims but I don't want to be detracted from enjoying the amazing matches.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Bobobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 11:05pm

Do you know what wood is good for topspining and what the pros and cons of each are? How does the thickness effect its ability to produce spin?

Edited by Bobobo - 03/18/2016 at 11:35pm
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 2:34am
Sorry but the physics of table tennis are not "knee jerk" reactions. It is very misleading to just some it all up to: high flex = more spin &  more stiff = less spin. The interaction between different rubbers, sponge, and blade compositions are more complex than that. That is reality.  
<3
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 3:08am
The basic and insurmountable problem with the notion that a flexier blade will mean "the ball will stay longer with the blade" is the pure physics of what happens when the ball hits the blade.  All reasonable estimates indicate that the ball rebounds from the surface long before the flexing of the blade can deform and then regain its shape.  (Someone with better physics than me can provide the right terminology, but the basic idea is correct.)

From this thread: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62442&KW=dwell+time&title=dwelltime you get the basic idea:
Quote About two years ago, I also learned that the dwell time is 0.001 sec. I believe that is rounded result due to relatively slow camera. Unfortunately, it causes some people to consider the dwell time is a constant regardless of blade ruber type, different tech. etc.

The sound frequency is more likely between 700 to 1000 Hz when bouncing a ball using a blade with a rubber. This might indicates the dwell time is 0.001- 0.0014 sec. When hiting a ball, the sound frequency decreases a little, suggesting a longer dwell time. When looping, I guess the dwell time could reach 0.002 to 0.004 (? I did not test this). A frequency measure software should be helpful to measure the blade frequecy under different playing techniques.  (Emphasis added)

If, as all the evidence suggests, the time the ball is on the racket can only be measured in milliseconds, then any flex in the blade takes place after the ball has already left the face.

I'm not talking about vibrations in the blade - that's different from flex.  I'm not talking about whether energy is imparted or reduced - that is also different from flex.  If flexier blades are somehow better for looping, it's because of something other than "the ball will stay longer with the blade".
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 4:35am

In my opinion, no scientific facts back up, the blade has very little effect (maybe up to 10%), compared to sponge and rubber, exceptions OX .5 1.0 thicknesses, then some more effect but not sure how much.

In my opinion for me, the key to a blade is feel of grip/handle, weight and balance.

Manufacturers ratings

Blade - speed and control

Rubber - speed, spin and control
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 4:32pm

Rubber playing a bigger role in spin?even if it's true it's too often a knee jerk intuitive reaction. The blade influence remains huge.
A valuable analogy is imo the legs work v. Arm swing in the forehand loop: Which is more important to generate racket speed? A wise man will answer they are equally essential.
. No, you are comparing apple's and oranges. Arm swing is a whip motion and the question is what propels the whip which is the legs and body. In the case of blades, you can isolate the blade contribution to spin byvaeying the blade and keeping the rubber constant and vice versa. No blade will spin if you use Anti. Any blade will spin if you use Tenergy. This is not rocket science and there is no need to call the conclusion knee jerk.
Cybershape Carbon
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 7:08pm
I don't think anyone is bullying you, at all. You just happen to be wrong and don't seem to like it very much.
<3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 7:12pm
Okay, fatt. In fact, if you read my original post, I said that blade has an influence but that its influence is small compared to the rubber. You seem to be in a rush to insult people rather than understand them. The impact of Tenergy vs anti is greater than the impact of Schlager Carbon vs 3 ply hock, all other things being equal. Both are very important, but I can play with slower blades or faster blades ans spin. It is much harder to get spin if you use radically different rubbers but wood is wood.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 8:04pm

Insult? Where? That's Ridiculous...mentioning a knee jerk reaction is certainly not insulting. Treating people "effing nitwit" like you have done in the past is. Insulting on this forum is historically your strength not mine.
I never said rubber is less important than the blade...of course it's the main factor...everybody agrees on that. I just want to underline the smallest flex effect of the blade has exponential consequences on the final spin; the same way than small legs work can increase final racket speed exponentially. Not so apples and oranges.

It would help if we could stick to the current topic, since to understand why I insulted someone would require revisiting the original.context. in this context, we are disagreeing over something which you and I have brought no serious evidence to. Since you agree with what I said about the relative impact of rubber, then what is so controversial?

You think the smallest flex effect has great consequences on the final spin while I find those consequences largely negligible and most inseparable from the speed effect of the blade. It is okay to say that you disagree and others are wrong. After all, you have played with far many more blades than I have. But why should my position be knee jerk? You mean you have a good reason to believe that I came to my conclusion without giving the issue serious thought?
Cybershape Carbon
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 10:00pm
I do not know if it is actually more spin or the feeling of getting more spin but I think I can get more spin with my ZLF as compared to my ALC. The difference is more so on shots where the arm speed is high like looping, counter looping etc. I think a slower blade allows the ball to stay longer, whether it is the materials or the flex.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

If, as all the evidence suggests, the time the ball is on the racket can only be measured in milliseconds, then any flex in the blade takes place after the ball has already left the face.

I'm not talking about vibrations in the blade - that's different from flex.  I'm not talking about whether energy is imparted or reduced - that is also different from flex.  If flexier blades are somehow better for looping, it's because of something other than "the ball will stay longer with the blade".
Vibrations in the blade are not different from flex.  In fact, flex is a measure of vibrations.  Stiff blades vibrate less, flex blades vibrate more.  Of course, you can do things to blades to reduce the sensation of vibrations in the handle or palm/fingers, but that doesn't change the main point.

Pnatchwey made similar points on TTD and I found the response a poster there made to him to be fairly instructive and I will link to it - it doesn't really matter whether you agree with it or not, but I think it makes some relevant points, including questioning the relevance of the short nature of dwell time to the degree one dismisses it:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10772-high-and-low-throw-rubbers&p=115974&viewfull=1#post115974

The main point is that just because dwell time is short doesn't mean that attempts to reduce it or increase it (or the feeling of it) have no impact on high level TT strokes.

Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

I do not know if it is actually more spin or the feeling of getting more spin but I think I can get more spin with my ZLF as compared to my ALC. The difference is more so on shots where the arm speed is high like looping, counter looping etc. I think a slower blade allows the ball to stay longer, whether it is the materials or the flex.

MY point exactly.  Thanks for stating it so clearly so that I am not accused of being rude or condescending.
Cybershape Carbon
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2016 at 2:13am

Regarding Spin

Why do the manufacturers only give a speed and control rating for their blades ?

There is no estimated spin rating given.

How do manufacturers come up with speed ratings ?

Drop a ball on a blade without rubber or have a robot ball impact a blade without rubber ?
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2016 at 11:54am
"How do manufacturers come up with speed ratings ?

Drop a ball on a blade without rubber or have a robot ball impact a blade without rubber ?"

Better question yet: How do they estimate "control"? LOL

Such a nebulous term IMO.

FdT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic