FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How ESN makes sponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How ESN makes sponge
    Posted: 07/19/2013 at 2:07pm
Found this video of how the Andro Rasant sponge is made from raw materials.

Edited by sweetstrike - 07/20/2013 at 3:29am
Sponsored Links

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2013 at 2:38pm
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2013 at 5:25pm
Wow so technical and such specialized and expensive equipment....
I wonder how this compares to the Hurricane 3 manufacturing process.

Amazing that I like H3 so much more than Rasant when Rasant has all this research behind it. Seems like Rasant should be vastly superior.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Wow so technical and such specialized and expensive equipment....
I wonder how this compares to the Hurricane 3 manufacturing process.

Amazing that I like H3 so much more than Rasant when Rasant has all this research behind it. Seems like Rasant should be vastly superior.

how the hell did you come to that conclusion? have you seen how DHS manufactures their rubbers/sponges? I'm guessing no. So why should ESN be vastly superior??

And if you think the best manufacturers of the Nr.1 TT country in the world don't have highly sophisticated research and manufacturing processes then you are being very unrealistic

By the way ESN isnt a TT company, but a plastics fabrication company that make all kinds of rubbers/synthetic materials the TT branch is just a small part of their company. I'm not saying thats a bad thing though

Edited by crackfst - 07/19/2013 at 6:12pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2013 at 11:26pm
I will guarantee DHS's factory is 50 years behind the ESN factory. Lucky for them high technology doesn't always make the most playable rubber. Rasant is three times faster and twice as spinny, that doesn't make it better for everyone (only the majority)
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 1:04am
I am impressed.  I understand finite element analysis ( FEA ).  One can simulate how a ball is going to bounce off a rubber given the properties of the top sheet rubber and the sponge. Then one just has to actually make the sponge and top sheet with those properties.  Or you can do it the other way around.  If you know the properties of the sponge and top sheet you currently make you can simulate how well the rubber will perform.  One can find the properties of their rubber and sponge by doing what is called system identification.

The software to do this can be bought by anyone in the world.  Even the Chinese.  It just costs money.

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Rasant is three times faster and twice as spinny,
Can you prove that statement? NO!!!

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 1:23am
Bluebucket,

I don't have too much info on manufactoring,
So base on your info provide, the DHS users are using 50 year old technology and in a way - such an inferior product (3 times less speed and 2 times less spin)

So if that is true, a lot of people must be happy that DHS users don't use ESN rubber or rather the Andro Rasant rubber (in place of DHS).
Just imagine if they did.....

So is this the same reason why the ESN players actually are in the world ranking, it must be superior technology - giving them more speed and spin?

Just imagine if they all use such great and up to date technology. The DHS users must make the ESN users look amateur hey? Since they can do so well with 1960 technology - just check the World Top 10.

So really.....are you really serious and can guarantee the 50 years part?

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 1:54am
I've seen a video of Yinhe rubber manufactoring - they are probably 100 years behind. Cry The same is probably true of Nittaku balls manufacturing facilities.

DHS (Chinese) rubbers have something unique - a dead spot, as opposed to the soft spot of all Euro and Jap rubbers. Avoiding this dead spot gave the Chinese players all the technical advantages they have over the Euro and Jap players.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:15am
Zapenholder, players in the top of the world ranking has nothing to do with rubber or blades. Its about 20 years of 7 days a week training.

I use dhs rubber and I'll be the first to admit its vastly inferior in every way as a rubber product. Luckily that has almost nothing to do with how well you can play table tennis with it. Even Yinhe with their 100 year old technology produce much faster and spinner rubbers than DHS, again that doesn't mean you can play better with them. DHS, 729 and globe have captured the x factor of a technically rubbish dead rubber that you can play well with

Its how bad they are which makes them good.

That all said, the majority 95% play better with tensors

Edited by bluebucket - 07/20/2013 at 2:17am
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:38am
DHS makes good balls but their rubber technology is far behind ESN and butterfly. I believe the real reason Chinese pros play DHS on their FH is due to endorsement contracts with the national team. If they could switch to T05 on FH they would. Isnt it a little odd that only DHS is used on FH of all those players?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:43am
If CNT players could use their BH in the same way they use their FH - with vigour and enormous strength - they would probably use H2 on their BH.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 3:25am
Nice video. The FEM analysis of ball/rubber interaction is nothing special - heh, that's what FEM has been used for by mechanical and structural engineers since 1960-1970s. But the visualization looks nice. Shame the video does not answer the "dwell time" question that's provoked so many heated discussions here.

Also, is it just me, but there seems to be a lot of very imprecise human involvement during the stage involving the "mastication roller", like manually painting the green "secret" ingredient onto the mix, etc. That should really be automated to ensure uniform rubber properties.
yesyup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yesyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 3:30am
I am wondering, why some of CNT used non-DHS rubber like Tibhar grip-s before, but they changing to use the DHS rubber..it is because of the contract or the suitability of their playing style?..
Then, there also non-China national team that using DHS rubber such as Singapore players. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 5:15am
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

DHS makes good balls but their rubber technology is far behind ESN and butterfly. I believe the real reason Chinese pros play DHS on their FH is due to endorsement contracts with the national team. If they could switch to T05 on FH they would. Isnt it a little odd that only DHS is used on FH of all those players?
If it wasn't good they (the Chinese) wouldn't use DHS
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 8:14am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

And how many of them actually use the DHS rubber un boosted or tuned, My bet is 0%,

When it comes to pure performance ie spin versus speed, nothing beats ESN rubbers. They are generally out of the packet consitent, and have fantastic feel, and further more they make that many varieties to suits all differant styles from the begineer to the experienced. Forget the Pro's they all tune....
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 10:50am

isn't it odd that CNT players use Tenergy only on the BH. Must be a shitty FH rubber....

Thats terrible logic. the FH is more important for most pro players than the BH. No sane pro(remember guys, this sport is their life) would ever play with an inferior rubber there if he could use a better one

I will guarantee DHS's factory is 50 years behind the ESN factory. Lucky for them high technology doesn't always make the most playable rubber. Rasant is three times faster and twice as spinny, that doesn't make it better for everyone (only the majority)

you are so full of BS. First off Rasant is only spinnier if you use a low swing speed, small action amateurish stroke, the opposite of what the CNT does (of course there is guys like MMaze that have a small action but a very fast whip motion, wouldn't call him an amateur). Otherwise a Hurricane is just as spinny. Its definitely slower but thats a good thing, and the chinese seem to prefer it.

So if ESN doesnt produce rubbers that play better(Ill admit the DO play better for amateurs and lower end club players) on the Forehand what good is their technology?

It's only for slightly higher product consistency, which is obviously a good thing, but pros get the best batches anyways

Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

And how many of them actually use the DHS rubber un boosted or tuned, My bet is 0%,

When it comes to pure performance ie spin versus speed, nothing beats ESN rubbers. They are generally out of the packet consitent, and have fantastic feel, and further more they make that many varieties to suits all differant styles from the begineer to the experienced. Forget the Pro's they all tune....

have you ever touched a ESN sponge right out of the package? it feels really oily and has a bad smell just like the chinese factory tuned rubbers. And obviously they are pre-tensioned much more heavily than regular DHS rubbers. Thats why tuners are less necessary on tensors since they are already more heavily "tuned"

Edited by crackfst - 07/20/2013 at 12:18pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 11:29am
if you wish to create your own rubber using your own properties.. get the newest Solid Works with the addons which should come as standard. with a price tag of about 300-500 euro
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 1:35pm
Crackfst, youre right rasant makes its best spin at moderate swing speeds, thats a no brainer as its a fairly soft sponge, but rasant absolutely makes more speed and spin than the dhs rubbers everywhere withing its sponges range. If you swing harder than that, there are plenty of harder esn sponges. Some are much harder than even the 40+ degree dhs and the still outspin the dhs rubber everywhere.

I use dhs rubber but im no fool and I do realise its nothing special and no better than the sheets of 729 I was using in 1984. The rest of the world has moved on. I liked 1984, Im used to it but I would never be so stupid to say dhs make high performance rubbers because they just dont
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 1:56pm
hmmm.

i guess everyone forgot about the Arc series

Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:34pm
Very enlightening movie!  I was surprised to see the action at 3:26.  The player holds the paddle pretty steady,  the ball hit the paddle at an angle, yet the ball came back exactly the direction it came in, with reversed spin, vs. bouncing off to the right of the video due to the angle of incidence.  I always thought this type of effect requires the player to move the paddle the other direction a little (it seems the paddle was even moving a little in the wrong way in the video).  What causes this effect?
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:47pm
The spin of the ball and the angle of the bat at the moment of contact.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

Very enlightening movie!  I was surprised to see the action at 3:26.  The player holds the paddle pretty steady,  the ball hit the paddle at an angle, yet the ball came back exactly the direction it came in, with reversed spin, vs. bouncing off to the right of the video due to the angle of incidence.  I always thought this type of effect requires the player to move the paddle the other direction a little (it seems the paddle was even moving a little in the wrong way in the video).  What causes this effect?

that cant be serious question

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 4:41pm

Zapenholder, players in the top of the world ranking has nothing to do with rubber or blades. Its about 20 years of 7 days a week training.

Base on your Theory, if more DHS users move over to Tensor/ESN etc, then all ranking will be the players that train 20 years and 7 days a week - AKA Chinese.

Since the Chinese are choosing 1960 equipment, they are giving the rest of the world a big chance hey?

Chinese 20 years, 7 days a week, rubber with 3 times less speed and 2 times less spin VS non Chinese with less years and less days but latest technology rubbers

LOL
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 4:44pm

Edorsement contracts?
There has always been Butterfly contracted players in CNT.
Even Stiga, Yasaka and other contracted players.
I think you are really taking a wild guess here.

Why the Non CNT - Chinese top players around the world will want to use DHS still?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Thats what I gather.

But because it is the Chinese, so all sorts of guesses and assumptions comes out to the equation.
Maybe should just give credit to good products use by great players.

Its so difficult being the Chinese and being treated equal in the table tennis world - same when they loose, some call it match fixing....
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 5:16pm

Crackfst, youre right rasant makes its best spin at moderate swing speeds, thats a no brainer as its a fairly soft sponge, but rasant absolutely makes more speed and spin than the dhs rubbers everywhere withing its sponges range. If you swing harder than that, there are plenty of harder esn sponges. Some are much harder than even the 40+ degree dhs and the still outspin the dhs rubber everywhere.

I use dhs rubber but im no fool and I do realise its nothing special and no better than the sheets of 729 I was using in 1984. The rest of the world has moved on. I liked 1984, Im used to it but I would never be so stupid to say dhs make high performance rubbers because they just dont

how in the world do you define "high performance"?? if you mean which provide more spin and especially speed, obviously Tensors/Tenergy beat every unboosted chinese Rubber by a big margin. But what good is massive speed and spin if it makes you win less points/matches. i dont get it, if more speed was always desireable every pro would run around with a Schlager Carbon or even faster blades, yet most of them use pretty control oriented blades some like Wang Hao even pretty slow ones. If the pros wanted more speed they could easily have that, but they prefer winning games over having the fastest shots with the least effort. In the end all that matters is winning for pros, and i guarantee you if the CNT thought switching to Tensors/Tenergy on the Forehand would increase their performance(the athletes) all would have switched long ago.

In tennis 20 years ago pros used much faster rackets and strings than nowadays, but "they have moved on" as you said. Nowadays they use equipment that provides almost zero extra power for you, it only gives you control and consistency. fast rackets+strings are pretty much looked down upon as beginner equipment or for older or weaker people. Maybe in TT we will have the same in 20 years you never know. More speed =/= higher performance/better
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 5:39pm
Okay, nice discussion.
But how about one little tiny detail... the "real life" control capability at high speeds? A rubber that is too springy may just not be it for the pros, or am I wrong?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Okay, nice discussion.
But how about one little tiny detail... the "real life" control capability at high speeds? A rubber that is too springy may just not be it for the pros, or am I wrong?

It all depends on your technique.  What all pros demand is a rubber that has enough dwell time (usually through tension, but possibly through tack) to put enough spin on the ball when they drive the ball.  That is the reason why speed glue and now tensors/tuned rubbers are so popular.  You need to lift the ball less to drive underspin or get good spin in general.  Because the spin and speed generated make looping so powerful, getting that extra spin/speed on your loop has pretty much trumped every other skill in determining one's ceiling in the modern game.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 6:02pm
...on the other hand the Euro players who don't play DHS, consistently choose T-05 over the more powerful rubbers (more spin, more speed) available these days. So, I claim that the "real life" control at high speeds is a factor, and that's probably why the DHS is liked there. Or maybe not...

Edited by JacekGM - 07/20/2013 at 6:03pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 6:10pm
imo rubbers like Tenergy are for lazy players. the rubber does most of the work for you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic