Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to remove rubber cement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove rubber cement
    Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:05pm
How do you properly and fully remove rubber cement from your rubber. I've tried picking the rubber off but there are small bits of rubber residue on the rubber. If I use normal free chack, will the uneven bumps of the leftover rubber cement alter/ruin the rubber? 
GO MUSTANGS!
Sponsored Links

wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:22pm
I usually soak a small part of the hand towel with gasoline / paraffin oil then rub the glue off the sponge. You can also apply 1 or more layers of ParaffinOil to the sponge to soften the Rubber cement.
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:35pm
It can be removed from some sponges but some others it's just about impossible. This is one of the best things about the new latex glues, they are so easy to remove
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:39pm
you also have to look at if its really worth your time to 'save' the rubber or to start with a new piece.  After many, many tries, I'd say no unless you have more time than I do. Big smile
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

you also have to look at if its really worth your time to 'save' the rubber or to start with a new piece.  After many, many tries, I'd say no unless you have more time than I do. Big smile
man...I was hoping to be enlightened or well-informed by your "findings"....well...too bad then & I'll have to ask AcudaDave re: this topic of "How to".... 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

man...I was hoping to be enlightened or well-informed by your "findings"....well...too bad then & I'll have to ask AcudaDave re: this topic of "How to".... 

The RC can be removed easily IF the sponge is hard and firm. (most Chinese rubbers)

If the sponge is soft and brittle (Euro and Tenergy rubbers), you'll no doubt leave bits and pieces of RC and sponge all over the place.Confused
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:35pm
I used the palm of my hand.   I rubbed the sponge from the center to the edges until it got warm.  The rubber would start to ball up and can be easily removed at the edges.  This is safe and won't hurt the rubber.  Your palms will get warm though.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:38pm
RC comes off in all cases where you have enough layers of it. Trying to remove just one layer seems impossible to me, but after trying the rubber on 5 different blades it started to curl by itself, and just rubbing with the thumbs would make it form little rolls that you can take away.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 5:03pm
yeah it should just rub right off after you have enough dried and dead layers.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 5:33pm
Just try the rubbing method.  My T05 had maybe two layers of glue and I rubbed them off.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 6:10pm
If you insist on doing this make sure you try the edges first, on soft euro sponges you are very likely to tear chunks of sponge out and you don't want to do that in the hitting zone
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2011 at 9:10am
The easiest way is to use a smoothing iron.
Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic