Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to return a long serve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to return a long serve
    Posted: 09/19/2008 at 7:26pm
Hi, I'm new to the forum with a few baisc questions. I just started playing in a local club and a few players really likes to serve long with under/side spin.
The ball comes at me very fast with a lot of spin. I tried to block or push it but didn't work.

Do I have to loop it? They usually serve to my backhand side and I don't have a BH loop. If I step further to the left (I'm right-handed) to loop with forehand, I'll be in awkward position as I don't have enough time...
Sponsored Links

hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 8:11pm

you have to improve your reflexes - which takes time.  when that happens you should be able to attack that serve with either a backhand or forehand loop. 

however, in the meantime, you can return with an aggressive stroke such as a backhand loop or an aggressive block putting your opponent on he defensive setting it up for a possibl attack on the 4th ball. 

the key is your read on the serve and speed of your reaction to put you in a position to attack. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 8:17pm
Reflexes, just as hafawaz said, be ready to step a bit to your left, make room and loop the serve back, or, if you have a good backhand loop, to just stay in your stance, if you prefer to return serves using your backhand and loop it with your backhand.

I do both, but I prefer to step around and loop it with my forehand.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
t3h anarchist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3h anarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 8:18pm
the key here is to use a extremely small stroke to loop the ball, since if you make it big, you wont have enough time to react and its far more inconsistent

what you can do to help you receive these types of serves is to roll a ball down the table and loop it off the surface.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 8:49pm
Hmm... Looks like most people just loop it.  I watch TT on TV and rarely do I see a long serve. It guess the pros will just swing at it? It works well against me and for me it's a lot easier to return short serves even with lots of spin because the speed of the ball is slow.

I think I'll just practise looping it with the BH. I'll have to lift the ball a lot if they put underspin on it. Is it possible at all to just push it back?

Thanks guys.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 8:58pm
well you can't really just have a BH loop all of a sudden.. what i would suggest is find someone at your club and ask them to hit some backhands with you. You'll find that a lot of club players are usually willing to help. And even just gaining experience though joining a club is a great way to get better.. you do nothing but imporve every week playing at a club.

Really the only thing to do until you have that technique is to just experiment.. put more on your pushes.. try hitting it back flat.. just really experiment with racket angles and other things. You'll find something until you're comfortable with either that, or looping from the BH.

Thanks.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 12:16am
Yeah work on a BH loop. It's risky to step around and FH loop a fast long serve to your BH side. If you can't put it away hard to the corner, your opponent will likely return it, and you'll be out of position.

The pros have perfect footwork and have put-away power to finish the point on those. I'm not saying it's not worth trying to step around, but it's much safer to work on a BH loop for that so you're in good position.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 12:28am
you can push it, just wait a little and push harder.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 12:34am
Kill it. It doesn't matter whether it has topspin or not, just as long as you end the point right there and then. Your opponent used that serve for a reason, they want the rally to happen.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 2:35am
I have the exact same problem against 3 of the girls in my club who serve this exact same long side bottom spin serve. I learned to just loop it with my backhand. Ask someone in your club to just keep doing it until u got it perfected. Once and a while i will to a chop at an angle to reverse the sidespin and so it doesnt pop up, but those are a lot harder and if to high they just SMASH it.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 3:32am
exactly!
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by DeathAngel DeathAngel wrote:

I have the exact same problem against 3 of the girls in my club who serve this exact same long side bottom spin serve. I learned to just loop it with my backhand. Ask someone in your club to just keep doing it until u got it perfected. Once and a while i will to a chop at an angle to reverse the sidespin and so it doesnt pop up, but those are a lot harder and if to high they just SMASH it.

I wouldn't recommend pushing it back, because even done successfully you'll give the opponent the chance for the opening loop. They'll have plenty of time to set up that loop if you push a long serve.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 10:54am
First of all give a little space between yourself and the table.. so you would have more time to be ready for the long serve (but make sure you can step in if they serve it short)
For the time being try to loop it if it is convenience for you if not wait for it to drop  a little bit and chop it down hard, it will come back with heavy underspin which will be hard to loop it your opponent is not that good. If your opponents are good then you're basically have to chop down hard then ready to block their loop..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Superserv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superserv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 11:00am
if its hight enought loop it at the higherst approx. to do that u have to train ur FH loop from the BH side really good every time u play TT.
Photino ST
sinuz alfa max FH/BH
Need to add more speed to my FH.

need MORE speed

I WILL use THIS COMBO 4EVER!
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 11:19am
Loop it back, either with a lot of speed or a lot of spin - depending on the type of serve it is.  You may need to step back or forward, if the serve is fast and long, or slow(er) but still long.

If it comes to your FH, try to loop it with side (top)spin to the opposite corner, or normal topspin down the line.  Vary your return, to keep your opponent from guessing correctly.

If you don't loop it back strongly enough, it will give the opponent a chance to attack.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 12:24pm
Guys, this is a new player coming into the game, most likely he does not have a consistent BH loop yet.. so for now chopping it back, IMO, is the best option.. 
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 3:57pm
Well what I did before was to block or push softly, and the ball just bounces all over the place due to the speed and the spin.  I think I'll first try to push it harder when I go to the club next week.  They might loop my return but at this point I just wanna put the ball back on their side of the table. As long as they can't directly smash it, I'll live with that Smile
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 10:14pm
Look like you don't have good back hand and can not return a serve very well. Why don't you try using the long pip rubber on back hand?. It is easier to return a serve and kill a ball on forehand. I believe your rating around 1700 that why they try to win a game by serve. I have 2 option for you: First, if you are young like less than 25 then try using smooth rubber and learn your foot work combine the technic to update your game, looking for a coach. Second option is using the long pip on back hand if you are OLD....can't move like young. Using a weird rubber to return a serve, and weird game too.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 10:31pm
thats the easy way out LOL
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2008 at 12:57am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Well what I did before was to block or push softly, and the ball just bounces all over the place due to the speed and the spin.  I think I'll first try to push it harder when I go to the club next week.  They might loop my return but at this point I just wanna put the ball back on their side of the table. As long as they can't directly smash it, I'll live with that Smile

remember to wait for it to drop just about table level or slightly lower then chop it down hard with all you might.. Wink
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
PP Dui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PP Dui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2008 at 1:15am
I would sumarize as follows:
1. loop it (BH or FH), to the right or left corner or to the body of the server.
2. chop it to the corners, if you could not control the spin try to aim to the middle of table.
3. push it with good angle of the blade, you might have to touch side lower  part of the ball.
4. side brush it, this requires you to relax your arm, wrist totally, gentlly touch the ball on the a spot usually side lower spot, moving ur racket in the same dirction of spin.

You dont see pros serve long cos receiver will kill it immediately.  so working on your foot work and loops skills will be the ultimate solution.

funplay, enjoy the game
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2008 at 3:17pm
if you do push it, try to push it long as you can to their bh side.  See if they can perform the loop that you couldn't.  If they can, then they're just better than you anyway right?  And you'll give yourself lots of time to set up for a block.

Also bear in mind that a long backspin serve, esp if it's at all fast, isn't likely to have as much spin as a short serve.  It might be easier to loop than you think.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2008 at 12:13am
Are you sure it is under spin? The best option for you is to return long underspin serve is to return with same spin back to the sender.

Hi, I'm new to the forum with a few baisc questions. I just started playing in a local club and a few players really likes to serve long with under/side spin.
The ball comes at me very fast with a lot of spin. I tried to block or push it but didn't work.

Do I have to loop it? They usually serve to my backhand side and I don't have a BH loop. If I step further to the left (I'm right-handed) to loop with forehand, I'll be in awkward position as I don't have enough time...
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2008 at 11:17pm
Well I tried my new technique to return the long serve and it worked out pretty well. Smile What works best for me a just a simple push but harder, with a little chop motion. That way their spin has much less effect and the ball is more likely to go where I want it to.  A chop away from the table is much harder to control so I didn't try that.

Also it does make sense that they can't put a hell lot of under spin on those fast, long serves. And standing ~1 foot away from the edge of the table gives me just a bit enough time to react.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 4:23am

Well I tried my new technique to return the long serve and it worked out pretty well. Smile What works best for me a just a simple push but harder, with a little chop motion. That way their spin has much less effect and the ball is more likely to go where I want it to.  A chop away from the table is much harder to control so I didn't try that.

Also it does make sense that they can't put a hell lot of under spin on those fast, long serves. And standing ~1 foot away from the edge of the table gives me just a bit enough time to react.

good for you Zing..
keep up the good work.. Clap
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 7:11pm
If it's backspin you can step back and chop or if it's side spin you can block or loop/drive it.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 7:40pm
chopping is good enough man, let them deal with it and youll win ahah
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 7:54pm
Cole and Dragon Kid makes some excellent suggestions for you. At this stage, the most important thing for you is to get the ball back, you can worry about developing a good back hand loop later on, as you will eventually need it.

Nothing wrong with trying to loop one back every now and then to get some practice at it. But remember , against strong opponents, a weak loop is an invite to attack so you better be prepared to block afterwards.

TTHOUSTON's suggestion about getting pips or anti is hopefully a silly joke. Both Pips and Anti are rubbers that takes skills to use but they are mainly used for defensive players and if you don't intend to be one, then stay away from them.
The holy grail
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 11:08pm
I think I suggested it once here already but no harm in repeating myself - if you getting a long serve to your left, simply step back and then decide whether you want to chop it, push it back or even attack. Making a step back does wonders with spinny serves because the ball's spin slows down as it flies more... so when you receive it a couple of feet back it is no longer so spinny as it is when you get at it right at the bounce.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
TimoisPrimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimoisPrimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 1:48am
I had/have the same problems with these types of serves.  A lot of the advice here is good, but I'd like to add one caveat: if you push/chop it back (like a lot of people have suggested) just to stay in the point it will become hard habit to break down the line when you do develop a strong BH loop.  I spent months getting beat up at my club when I started, to try to staunch the bleeding I got in the habit of always pushing BH returns. Now that I've had time to develop a stronger BH I find that I still revert to my old pushing habit in tough situations.  Be careful of forming bad habits just to get the ball in play. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic