FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Important Things - The lower body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important Things - The lower body
    Posted: 01/12/2009 at 11:32am
As you can see, when I was watching some TT videos, I was a bit confused about the legs in the stroke. For me, I just bend my knees, lean slightly forward, pivot shoulder and arm to a backswing and swing away. On Greg's TT page, I read something about transferring weight from front foot to back. Is it important? I can see professionals just play without it.

Anothing thing that I want an explanation is TO REACH OR NOT TO REACH? What I mean is that when I'm playing, my opponent places the ball on the other side of the table, what is better, to reach or do short or big steps? What if the point is important to you like 10 - 9 Just one more and you can win the match.
See you guys in the next life!...................
Sponsored Links

LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2009 at 2:44pm
Here are my 2 cents' worth, higher level players might think differently.

Yes, it is important if you want powerful loops and smashes. However, it is not always possible to do it when the ball is coming in too fast or you are out of position. Waist is the most powerful but slowest to setup and slowest to get back to ready, arm is less powerful but faster, wrist is even less but you can react almost instantly. Transferring weight from the right (back) foot to the left (front) foot helps you twist your waist faster hence more powerful. The pros have much stronger arms than average players so in some situations their shots look fast and spinny even without using the waist. Once I saw a picture of Wang Hao with what looks like a 40 lb weight on his elbow and his arm is still 90 degrees to his body. However, given the chance I don't see pros using less waist and weight transfer than any regular players. For example, the most powerful smash I can think of is the smash against a lob/high ball. With ample time to set up the smash and less worry about a fast return the weight transfer is to the extreme where your right (back) foot actually lift off.   

Personally, I will try to go to the ball and only reach if I know I have absolutely no chance of getting to it in time. Whenever I'm reaching for the ball I produce a weak return. More often than not, my opponent will give me more until he wins the point. When I'm in position I will try to pin him down at the other corner, worst for worst I can still be in a rally of equal terms with him. By the way, most people will tell you you shouldn't change strategy just because it is a match point.   
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic