Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light Blade suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thefred View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Blade suggestion
    Posted: 06/10/2010 at 7:45am

Hi,
I am looking for advices or suggestions from blade experts �

I made lots of trials, but I couldn�t find what I am looking for. But now I think ( I hope ) I precisely know what I need.

Blade specifications:
Around 80gr, less is much better, High flex or mid Flex (not stiff), High throw ( or medium high), handle heavy ( no hollow handle), soft outer veneer ( Limba? ), not bouncy, long dwell time, speed OFF- ( up to OFF, but not speed demon ), thickness less than 6mm.

My game - rubbers:
FH - loop with lots of rotation   -  CJ8000 Biotech 39-41 degrees black 2.2mm
BH � chop over the table and opening loop. - HK1997 Biotech 36-381 degrees Red 2.2mm

I own:

Timo Boll Spark        � perfect� but too heavy, cause tennis elbow
Keyshot light            � not bad, but too thick and head heavy
Galaxy K4                � heavy and stiff
Viscaria Light            � head heavy and too bouncy ( beautiful blade away from the table, but not my game)
SWORD RGUC-C08   � beautiful blade but too fast and heavy

All are very good blades, but not suiting my style of play, except Timo Boll Spark, but too heavy, and could be little faster.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Butterfly Timo Boll Spark
FH DHS Neo TG3
BH Palio CJ8000 Biotech 36-38 1.8mm

http://www.palette-bleue.net
Sponsored Links

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 7:49am
perhaps you would be interested in a nittaku tenaly carbon really nice feel great weight and good with european rubbers. i have one if you would like to trade or buy.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 7:59am
Have you considered the Samsonov Alpha or Yasaka Extra? as you should be able to get one, around 82-83 grams and both have good control, as well as being good looping blades.
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 8:18am
If you don't want any composite layers (i.e. arylate and/or carbon) then perhaps you might want to think about getting an all wood blade made to your weight, shape and balance specifications by Palatinus (oldstiga). The quality of their blades is first rate and I can recommend them without hesitation or reservation.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 8:55am
Yasaka Extra is a good solid choice.  I have been EJ'ing for over 1.5 years now on many blades faster and slower from it.....  The only thing is that the weight you want may be hard to deal with.  I have a Extra 3D that is about 83grams, but it did not loop as good as my 88g non-3D Extra.

80g and below is getting pretty light on the blade side, you might want to try different rubbers, some of the Palio rubbers are slightly medium heavy from my experience with many of them.   

I have come full circle back to this blade.  Its going to be my only blade I take to play at the club for quite awhile now. 

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 9:26am
I would give the Yasaka Gatien Extra and Samsonov Alpha a try. They are both in decathlon and pretty cheap as well. Stiga Offensive Wood (non wrb) is another very good option.Two days ago I played few shots with it (T64) and was impressed by the performance. Long ago I use to have one myself and it was a perfect match with Chinese rubbers(I see u play with such)
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
j0hn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j0hn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 9:40am
yasaka x1 is great.. not too heavy, soft feel and fast.
Conan the Greek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan the Greek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 12:30pm
A nice blade that seems to fit in that category is the Donic Dima Sawtec. IIRC, limba plies, 80gr, ALL+, great handle, nice flex, good dwell. I had one for a couple of years before I wanted to try a faster blade.

Also, I wonder if Ian Worz could whip up something that would work.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by j0hn j0hn wrote:

yasaka x1 is great.. not too heavy, soft feel and fast.

Yasaka X1 is 90g + normally, he is looking for 80g-.

Spinaldo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinaldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

... some of the Palio rubbers are slightly medium heavy�...

Two Palio Biotech rubber sheets? There's the real weight/"table-tennis elbow" problem.
Blade: Friendship V-6 Aramid Carbon FL
FH: Red 2.2mm Haifu Whale III (Training)
BH: Black max Juic Nanocannon
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 1:21pm
I've got three different blades with Balsa/Fibre/Limba and I think not coincidently ? those are my 3 favorite blades, it's a good combination and they are all weigh less than 80 grams. So anything in that combo seems to be good. I have other blades that are almost as good, but a light blade really is worth it's lack of weight in Gold after a 2 day tournament for someone that doesn't normally play that much, it makes the difference between failure on the second day due to a dead sore arm and wining :). Just that part alone has help me a lot in recent years
neolooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neolooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 4:43pm
I would check out the Galaxy T-11, at about 73 grams, a Powerful light blade, ( 28 dollars )For more control,check out TSP Astron Red-at 85 grams with wonderful handle,plus good power, (38 dollars ) 5 grams extra is 0.17 oz. less than a 1/4 oz. over 80 grams. Ying%20Yang
Andro Temper Tech off-, Galaxy T-11
Fh.Palio Hk1997
Bh.Palio Drunken Dragon,   Andro Kinetic Cf Light Off, On Fh.Bomb Ufo J.Tension, Max,Bh Dhs Hurricane Neo 3

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 8:16pm
Around 80gr, less is much better, High flex or mid Flex (not stiff), High throw ( or medium high), handle heavy ( no hollow handle), speed OFF-

You just described an Avalox BT550. Paired with faster rubbers it is fast enough to finish the point and is a very flexible looping blade. Short game is very controlled.

Only good out to mid distance. At far distance would need very powerful rubber to counterattack.

As far as hollow handles go - I don't know, Balance would suggest it may be slightly hollow, but I haven't broken one - so I haven't opened one up.

Most blades since the 40mm ball have been hollow handle (Stiga, BTY, especially) in some form or another; the TT companies just don't advertise it as a "feature".
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
elpmip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elpmip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 9:15pm
"Hi,
I am looking for advices or suggestions from blade experts �

I made lots of trials, but I couldn�t find what I am looking for. But now I think ( I hope ) I precisely know what I need.

Blade specifications:
Around 80gr, less is much better, High flex or mid Flex (not stiff), High throw ( or medium high), handle heavy ( no hollow handle), soft outer veneer ( Limba? ), not bouncy, long dwell time, speed OFF- ( up to OFF, but not speed demon ), thickness less than 6mm."

-------
The message or main requirement is lighter blades.

This appears to be a good spec for custom blades.

Most of the blades I made are below 70g, most in range of 55-65g. Thinnest below 5mm and thickest at 11mm.

Earlier models are highly flexible, with horizontal wood grain structure combined with Unilateral fibric cloth, say, fibre glass/ULC hybrid, but tends to make less flex blades recently, as players need to adapt to new styles to play flex blades. Lots more dwelling time, if the blade is flexible. There is also appreciable catapult effect with flex blades if played properly.

OFF- is a bit slow as I used mostly ZF, ZLC recently?
Perhaps,Vectran/carbon may be a bit slower combined with softer veneer layers.

Thought Hinoki is soft but I found Tasmanian Huon Pine is equally soft with good grains. Sourced a few sq meters recently. However, I worked on a blade with 1mm thick Tasmanian King Billy Pine to find it even softer.

However, King Pine Pine is expensive, (only from dead trees in river beds, cannot be cut live) and hard to find in quarter cut with straight grains. I have to try more to confirm the playing characteristic of this soft wood.

It is covering a blade I am making, Vectran/Carbon on one side, ZL on another side. Guess it is not a slow OFF- blade.
--------
So, King Billy, GF/ULC, Balsa core, GF/ULC, King Billy may be suitable construction as GF/ULC is a gear slower.
THickness could be 5mm to 6mm or more.
-----------
Actually, I sold handshake blade to an A grade player a few months, ago, he was looking for a lightest, thinnest and fastest blades he could use.

- limba veneer
- thin carbon layer 98g / sq meter
- 3.5mm long grain balsa
- thin carbon layer
- limba

It is 5.0mm I think, 52g, but is OFF at least. Quite flexible. The GF/ULC is a bit slower.
----------
Most of the blades in the market are not quite flexible by just looking at the grains on outer veneer layers. The grains running from top to bottom. This makes the blades stiffer.

Very hard to see blades with veneer with wood grains from side to side, i,e Sword combi cpen on one side. Some inner wood layers may have grains running from side to side to reinforce the other layers with top to bottom grains.
-------

-------
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic