FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ma Lin x Timo Boll 11x0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2009 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

They are prety equa, and I would say right now Timo is better since he won

is this a joke? timo boll is a garbage player compared to any chinese player.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 1:12am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Lixiao, while I'm basically 100% with you on the general Idea, you gotta give Timo more cred than "garbage player"

He HAS beaten Ma Long this year, regardless of the record, not many non chinese can say that for themselves at all lol.

I like Timo, but i don't think he deserves #3 in the world. At best, bottom 5 of top 10.

But Like I said, top 10 on the ITTF are not the 10 best players in the world. The 10 best players in the world are ALL chinese. The real question you have to ask when searching for the best 10 are "who are the 10 best chinese players right now?"

Who do you guys honestly think the best chinese player is at the moment (we already know the 'all-time' answer), WR aside?

A lot of the chinese province players will say its Zhang Jike. Most non chinese people will tell you its Ma Long. The WR system says its Wang Hao.

What's everyone's opinion?

do i smell a poll coming on?  
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 2:40am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

(we already know the 'all-time' answer)

Do you mean  Guo Yehua? Smile
Single Ply Hinoki club
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

So, does this mean that there should be a sliding scale for the World Rankings?  Is Timo the #3 in the world because he accumulates his points by beating up on the other Euros?  Is he simply the "best of the rest"?  

That was in 2004.  And Timo Boll is #3 now.  I think he goes up to #3 because of some winning he had in 2008 and early 2009 against some top Chinese players, and of course, he did well against all other non-Chinese players. 

He might go down after losing to Maze but just one lost might not cost him too many points.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 5:47pm

While I just argued that Boll isn't equal with the top Chinese, he would definitely be on the Chinese national team and would be a serious competitor in the Super League. He is also more consistant against non-Chinese players than the lesser Chinese players, aka out of the top 5 or 6. He has beaten all the top Chinese at one point or another, and someone who isn't in the same league or on the same level can't do that.

But to say that Boll is garbage compared to "any chinese player" isn't just ignorant, it's racist elitism.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

So, does this mean that there should be a sliding scale for the World Rankings?  Is Timo the #3 in the world because he accumulates his points by beating up on the other Euros?  Is he simply the "best of the rest"?  

That was in 2004.  And Timo Boll is #3 now.  I think he goes up to #3 because of some winning he had in 2008 and early 2009 against some top Chinese players, and of course, he did well against all other non-Chinese players. 

He might go down after losing to Maze but just one lost might not cost him too many points.

FireHorse

Not trying to be smart aleky but Timo is actually Rank #5 as at 1/10/09. Ma Lin and, more surprisingly, Wang Liqin took the 3/4 spots respectively.

Timo is doing very well, thogh.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
dtxa90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtxa90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2009 at 9:59pm
You can tell how old this vid is becuase Timo looks so young compared to now!
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon. DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial Team (FH). Stiga Boost TC max (BH)
ttproguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttproguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 6:43am
Ma Lin is old now. his era along with the Wangs are over. you cant blame ma for losing to a fresh player
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 8:10am

What is the meaning of giving a point to the opponent at 10-0? I would be bothered if that happened to me and i wouldn't give a free point at 10-0 even if someone asked me to do it.

Any thoughts on why to give a free point?

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 11:05am

pretty silly overstatement... the kind I would expect from kids talking trash online over Halo rankings

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

Originally posted by ttCrawsaive ttCrawsaive wrote:

But its not really fair play by ma lin playing 11-0.
He could give at least 1 point in my eyes

actually, i think he was trying to miss that last serve (to give boll 1 point), but it clipped the edge.  and i don't think he was sure, but boll, being the sportsman that he was (is), conceded the point.

What takaaki said is true, I have read an interview of Timo Boll talking about this match and told that Ma didn't want to beat him 11-0, he tried to lose the last serve, but even that hit the edge...

This is sad...
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

Some people get very hurt (may be even humiliated) when they lose 11-0, so this is really common to show a respect to opponent by giving up a single point. I well remember Samsonov serving into the net on 10-0 when he was playing Kim Taek Soo back in 2002, it was a single set Vladi won then, by the way.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by stefashka stefashka wrote:

Some people get very hurt (may be even humiliated) when they lose 11-0, so this is really common to show a respect to opponent by giving up a single point. I well remember Samsonov serving into the net on 10-0 when he was playing Kim Taek Soo back in 2002, it was a single set Vladi won then, by the way.

I think its dumb, you should just get the 11-0. Recieving a pity point is embarassing. 
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 2:25pm
Holy old thread batman
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 5:59pm

Recently Xu Xin did it against Bastian Steger at World Team Cup. Steger was extremely frustrated and he gave Xu's gift back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prynS-VN0mk&feature=player_detailpage#t=688s
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by zzz zzz wrote:

Recently Xu Xin did it against Bastian Steger at World Team Cup. Steger was extremely frustrated and he gave Xu's gift back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prynS-VN0mk&feature=player_detailpage#t=688s

I have seen one of my teammates lose a game after leading 10-2(call timeout after 10-8 already). Unless you know you are a lot better than your opp, it is still a risky move.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic