Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mr. Big cpen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mr. Big cpen
    Posted: 07/26/2012 at 5:08pm
received this blade today

82 grams, 5.6mm

I can add more data and pics if anyone is interested

Notice the price is $9.60, but with fees and shipping, it costs a little over $24 in the end
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 5:30pm
does it play like a Violin though?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

heck if i know dude

lol
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 5:52pm
btw i suspect it will dry out to around 81 or 80 grams... that seems to be the trend with the blades i get lately with the weather like it is here
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 5:59pm
you never played with a violin before?  A Violin cpen handle should be straight and much more slim.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 6:04pm

you never played with a violin before?  A Violin cpen handle should be straight and much more slim.

nope, never played with a Violin... i might have continued on a journey to such an expensive blade; had I not found the Expert. Plus, I'm told that the Violin plays/feels similar to the W-6. The W-6 is a good blade, but doesn't have the feel that I much prefer (which the Expert has).

anyway, I wasn't interested in copying all dimensions of the Violin. i already knew it would be thicker (the description said it would 5.6mm) .this blade is one of Mr. Big's least expensive so I wanted to try it out. Actually, I hoped to get a shakehand-flared version, but ordering through yoybuy.com / taobao.com is a challenge.  no matter though... I've decided to keep a cpen or two around (the other is a 79 gram YEO)
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

heck if i know dude

lol

hahaha
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 10:46pm
One thing I feel strange about Violin, the C-pen is much better for looping then the J-pen. Perhaps it is because of the shape ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 11:18pm
so, it's already dropped to 81.5 grams, even with a coat of varnish on it

Smile

p.s. aeoliah, i have no idea
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 11:24pm
I had a Violin cpen, it's good for looping, but loops are not fast enough, very consistent though.  My wife still has her Violin shakehand, she likes it.  But after I let her try out a Kreanga Carbon, she immediately ditched her Violin, haha.  I guess she doesn't like it when it is also a tad too slow.  
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 1:00am
wow, the cpen costs 60 cny (~9.5 usd) at mr. big, and they can ship to HK for 30cny or 10cny within china. At the end, only ~ $10usd more(incl  s&h to usa). It is not a bad deal. Plz give us more info on the blade (workmanship, play characterizes etc). I want to order the rosewood 5 when it is available. thx
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 9:28am
80.8 grams this morning

craftsmanship: very good, I do notice some file marks across one of the blade faces. otherwise, perfect.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 9:38am
I'll probably just put it up for sale though. I really only need 1 cpen, and I like my YEO.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 10:07am
How did you buy from these guy?  Does he buy from Tao bao on your behalf or what?  Please let us know the buying process and experience from this site.  Thanks,
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 10:10am
i bought through yoybuy, an agent that gets stuff from taobao for you. you have to preload your yoybuy account with a paypal transfer. i tried to order two blades, and in the chat on the other one i mentioned that i wanted both blades to be flared. the other blade ended up getting cancelled, as yoybuy reported there was "no response from the seller". so, in the end i got a cpen.

some aspects of yoyboy are easy (loading with paypal, tracking your shipment)... but simple things like selecting colors and shapes are difficult.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 10:16am

i bought through yoybuy, an agent that gets stuff from taobao for you. you have to preload your yoybuy account with a paypal transfer. i tried to order two blades, and in the chat on the other one i mentioned that i wanted both blades to be flared. the other blade ended up getting cancelled, as yoybuy reported there was "no response from the seller". so, in the end i got a cpen.

some aspects of yoyboy are easy (loading with paypal, tracking your shipment)... but simple things like selecting colors and shapes are difficult.
I see.  But looks like you will not know what is the total (Shiping + fee), until after you bought right?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 2:36pm
yeah that's a little tricky. they have a forumula, but even then after all was said and done, they wanted a couple more bucks
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 2:43pm

yeah that's a little tricky. they have a forumula, but even then after all was said and done, they wanted a couple more bucks
Also, looks like they require you to transfer money from paypal to your account, then pay from the account right?  I am a little concerned on this, since this mean there is no protection from paypal.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 2:53pm
yeah that's how the payment process works... not sure if you'd be out of luck with paypal protection
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic