FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Need advice on my new Carbonado 145

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on my new Carbonado 145
    Posted: 04/10/2015 at 3:39pm
I need some advice on whether this blade should be OK quality-wise or not.

I just received my new Stiga Carbonado 145 10 minutes ago. The blade feels great (weight balance, softness, etc) but here is a close-up of the grain on the BH side.

Will this give future problems? Does it increase risk of outer veneer fiber shedding while peeling rubber? Do I return this to the dealer (I hope not)?

Sponsored Links

thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2015 at 4:39pm
I will give you $5 shipping included 😊

You'll be fine 👌
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2015 at 6:33pm
I would return it without thinking
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 12:55am
stray cut when the tree was growing? :p
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 1:28am
See this is the problem with Stiga. They are saying that Carbonado's are handmade but they are not checking the outer ply. Any player will have their doubts on what is inside. 
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 1:42am
For the price I would expect nothing less than top notch quality. Therefore I would ask for money back instead of replacement.

Anyhow, I appreciate your photo. You helped me to narrow the choice regarding my next blade.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 6:39am
Thanks everyone, I'll return it. Let this be a lesson to everyone ordering a Stiga blade sight unseen.

I'm curious: specifically, what are the disadvantages when the grain on a veneer has a pattern like this or has knots in it?
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 6:54am
The blade is fine and will play fine. If you would have played it  and later with antoher 145 you will not notice any difference at all. I own a couple of high priced blades of, what some of you would say, bad quality. These blades are still in perfect condition.

Each time a blade is over 100 euro, many on this forum are complaining about quality, even if they don't like the color of the surface or a different pattern of the wood.  It's like you expect a blade of gold (so to speak).

Edited by p1ngp0ng3r - 04/11/2015 at 6:55am
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I'm curious: specifically, what are the disadvantages when the grain on a veneer has a pattern like this or has knots in it?

There are none... If you could feel any difference playing with a blade with grain equally all over and a blade with knots, then you have a sensitive feel.
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

The blade is fine and will play fine. If you would have played it  and later with antoher 145 you will not notice any difference at all. I own a couple of high priced blades of, what some of you would say, bad quality. These blades are still in perfect condition.

Each time a blade is over 100 euro, many on this forum are complaining about quality, even if they don't like the color of the surface or a different pattern of the wood.  It's like you expect a blade of gold (so to speak).

+1
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 4:32pm
So, when you pay for gold, you're actually don't expect to get the gold? Very interesting.

For the price of Carbonado you can buy almost every most of Butterfly or Nittaku blades knowing you've been making worry-free purchase (not to mention OSP, Darker or Soulspin).

Yasaka makes high quality blades and sell them cheaper than Stiga, leaving no excuse for Stiga.

For the particular Carbonado, we've been discussing about the thin sheet of wood that cost... <1eur? Shame, really.

Edited by Ray - 04/11/2015 at 5:05pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 3:21am
I have been very unimpressed with Stiga's quality control and customer service. 
When I purchased a Stiga Emerald I noticed a few imperfections and emailed them, they didn't reply.
When the same blade started to delaminate after 3 months and still on the first set of rubbers, I emailed Stiga and Tabletennis 11 where I purchased it from. No reply from Stiga, yet Tabletennis 11 sent me a different blade after receiving photos of the fault.
I then sent the Emerald back to Stiga, as I thought they may want to inspect it and they didn't even send an email in acknowledgement.

Whilst I think your blade will probably be fine, I would see if you can get it changed whilst it is still unused. If you had paid for a 'slight second' then fine, but you shouldn't get this sort of issue on a premium blade.
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 4:55am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Easy to say when is not your blade...
Doesn't matter if affects or not; not very smart to see that pic when you pay such ammount if money.

That's not a surprise when exists several posts talking about quality Stiga products. Only for Stiga lovers...
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

So, when you pay for gold, you're actually don't expect to get the gold? Very interesting.

For the price of Carbonado you can buy almost every most of Butterfly or Nittaku blades knowing you've been making worry-free purchase (not to mention OSP, Darker or Soulspin).

Yasaka makes high quality blades and sell them cheaper than Stiga, leaving no excuse for Stiga.

For the particular Carbonado, we've been discussing about the thin sheet of wood that cost... <1eur? Shame, really.

100-150 euro nowadays is not even that much for a blade. Each brand has multiple blades in this price range. Yes, there are ofcourse many cheaper blades.
You don't pay for just the materials, but you also pay for product innovation for example.  IF it took Stiga indeed several years to come up with this end product, the costs for innovation and development are huge.

What was the last time Yasaka introduced a product that was a true innovation? Indeed: Mark V. (like ages ago :) )
Their blades are not that unique, so they don't have the massive innovation and development costs meaning cheaper blades.

Quote Easy to say when is not your blade...

I also had blades with so called faults. Owned a Accoustic with a knot and you don't hear me complaining about Nittaku. The blade played fine for 3 years :)

When I purchased a Stiga Emerald I noticed a few imperfections and emailed them, they didn't reply.
When the same blade started to delaminate after 3 months and still on the first set of rubbers, I emailed Stiga and Tabletennis 11 where I purchased it from. No reply from Stiga, yet Tabletennis 11 sent me a different blade after receiving photos of the fault.
I then sent the Emerald back to Stiga, as I thought they may want to inspect it and they didn't even send an email in acknowledgement.

Not responding to customer, is bad ofcourse. But if you buy a faulty product at a reseller, you turn to that reseller, not to the manufacturer. The reseller is responsible for delivering a good product. There are several EU laws on this in fact. TT11 did exactly what do had to do and think you could have better send the faulty blade to TT11. TT11 will claim the faulty product at Stiga anyways. And if they receive multiple complaints about a product, they can give a stronger signal to a manufacturer then a sinlge customer.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 7:26am
Ray, Dr Bacterius et al: thanks for your input but kindly answer my question that I had posted earlier: for a player (& not a collector), in what way is a blade like this (in which the grains are arranged in this manner) inferior to a 'regular' one?
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 3:31pm
If blade were mine I would no wait to see if blade performs well or not. Not with that cost. I would contact with the dealer and ask for a change inmediately.
Something similar happened to me in the past with a Stiga Emerald. The dealer changed the blade inmediately and without any problem.
If the blade doesn't performs as expected could be a problem if it's used or little damaged.

Also agree with p1ngp0ng3er that the problem must be solved with the dealer.
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 4:12pm
Slevin, have you ever tried to saw or drill through a part of wood with a knot in it? Its about 10 times harder than the surrounding wood.

Out of principle, this blade should be returned. For the price they are selling it, you are paying for the kind of QC that should eliminate this kind of flaw.

Variances in wood, dimensions, etc, are to be expected in manufacturing, but this glaring type of flaw is inexcusable. They should be using that part of the wood in a pre-made or lower priced blade, or not use it at all.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Slevin, have you ever tried to saw or drill through a part of wood with a knot in it? Its about 10 times harder than the surrounding wood.

Thanks LOOPMEISTER, that is useful info.

The retailer has been nice enough to knock 40% off the price of the blade in case I decide not to return it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

The retailer has been nice enough to knock 40% off the price of the blade in case I decide not to return it. 

Not a bad gesture from the reseller, as they are selling at their buying price in this case.
Nevertheless, of course they offer this for their own reasons , as swapping the blade will cost them a lot more.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:24am
I started another thread before I saw this one... woops, but I'm having a separate QC issue with the Carbonado 145.  EJ's beware.

That said the blade played quite nicely on the non-bubbled BH side, very close to TTD's review's claim of playing and feeling like Viscaria.  FH was troubled because of the bubbling wood problem I'm sure, so I can't comment on that.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 4:16am
wow. I have two on the way. I'd be contacting them immediately if any such defect is found. Cosmetics are really important to me and make resale value a joke if bad.

Looks like I have to seal them as well. Although the guy with the diluted glue.. if you over diluted and then put lots of glue on the blade.. you can bring this destiny upon yourself... 
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 5:33am
I put about a nickel-sized amount of glue on the blade and it really isn't that diluted, maybe a bit less than a tablespoon's worth of water for a 500mL bottle.  I know the risks of water warping the blade and I make sure I never use too much.  Shocked

Dynasty / H3 / H3
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 9:29am
I wonder why you guys buying this piece of crap ,whenever you can buy T5000 invented a few decades ago and already prooved itself on TT market.

Stiga Blade after year 2000 .... equivalent to russian roulette.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 9:42am
schen: wow, feel sorry for you - IMHO, that blade is not salvagable.

This whole new blade QC thing is a damper on the 'Made in Sweden' sticker in general. Is that factory co-owned by IKEA?

TBH, the thing with Stiga blades is - if there's something wrong, you know pretty quickly. If there isn't something wrong, well, they're known for their good feel. Haven't tried Carbonado yet, but I owned a Infinity that I thought was great.

I know 3 players recently who have moved from Viscaria to Stiga blades (Rosewood XO, Infinity and some Maplewood blade) and love the change. There are also quite a few players in my club who play with the Clipper Wood and love it (including 2 >2500 players).
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 10:24am
schen,
wow not a good situation.  did you do something else unusual to the blade?  I changed the rubber on a 145 yesterday and the color of the wood was quite a bit lighter (nothing like your photos)
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 11:19am
The more knots = a much older wood . Right?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 12:50pm
So, I've decided to keep my blade - the bounce seems absolutely fine & consistent in that area as compared to the rest of the blade face. Besides, the 145's feel and level of softness seem perfect to me. The Legend handle is one of the best FL handles in the business.

The risk I take is if the top veneer comes off when I first remove rubber from the blade. If not, it should be a perfectly fine to play piece.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

schen,
wow not a good situation.  did you do something else unusual to the blade?  I changed the rubber on a 145 yesterday and the color of the wood was quite a bit lighter (nothing like your photos)

Nothing out of the ordinary?  The coloring is just a poor lighting issue on my end - took that photo late at night.

Hopefully the replacement they are sending me wont have this problem.  I too really enjoyed the feel of it.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

schen,

Nothing out of the ordinary?  The coloring is just a poor lighting issue on my end - took that photo late at night.

Hopefully the replacement they are sending me wont have this problem.  I too really enjoyed the feel of it.

not so bad if they are replacing it for free.  enjoy the blade when it comes !
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I started another thread before I saw this one... woops, but I'm having a separate QC issue with the Carbonado 145.  EJ's beware.

That said the blade played quite nicely on the non-bubbled BH side, very close to TTD's review's claim of playing and feeling like Viscaria.  FH was troubled because of the bubbling wood problem I'm sure, so I can't comment on that.

Quite similar issue with my brand new stiga carbonado 145 which I ordered from TT11:

https://workupload.com/file/Kx3nXpggKRN

You have been warned guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic