Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

old TG3 vs TG3 Neo vs TG3 blue sponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old TG3 vs TG3 Neo vs TG3 blue sponge
    Posted: 09/20/2010 at 2:59pm
Which out of these three is the spinniest and is best for playing far from the table? Can someone compare these three rubbers?

Edited by corsuse - 09/20/2010 at 3:19pm
Member of the Wang Hao Ownss fan club :).
Sponsored Links

guabst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guabst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 4:51pm

Hi there,  I found that I can generate more spin with the blue sponge (stickier), specially if I use the intensifier, but the neo is the best, less maintenance. And if u r willing 2 wait, order that baby from overseas, is cheaper. I usually get them 4 under $20 including shipping.

corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 5:06pm
I've read that the blue sponge is designed to be tuned to work well and if I don't tune it, it would not be very powerful and fast. It would have a lot of spin in the close game only maybe. And I don't want to buy tuners and so on... 

So is TG3 Neo best for me? Will it feel faster than the old regular TG3 (both glued with water-based glue)? The TG3 Neo is not so expensive whatever I buy it.
sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 5:11pm
old tg3 is as tacky as hell, but slower than blue sponge and neo.
blue sponge is a bit softer but not much.
neo is probably a bit more tacky than blue sponge and a bit faster than old tg3.
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 5:20pm
How about the fastness and power between neo and blue sponge untuned? Is the untuned blue sponge so slow and weak far from the table as I've read?

Edited by corsuse - 09/20/2010 at 5:24pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by corsuse corsuse wrote:

How about the fastness and power between neo and blue sponge untuned? Is the untuned blue sponge so slow and weak far from the table as I've read?

none of them is fast.
but it also depends on what you need...
you can get by with any of them but playing will not be as easy as with some other faster rubbers.
you can loop from far, etc. however it will not be a dangerous loop and you will limit your capabilities a bit.
I used tg3 blue sponge with joola-mc1 so the lack of speed was somehow compensated.
if you don't tune not only the speed becomes a bit slow but the tackiness also becomes less. so the rubber as a whole is not that dangerous to your opponent.
if you really want to see why all this fuzz about chinese rubbers then you need to tune them. without tuning even the chinese would throw them away, european rubbers are far better without tuning.
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 6:57am
So the blue sponge won't be a good idea. Without tuning it won't be dangerous :(. If you tune it, this is a completely different stuff. I think the TG3 Neo would be faster and even spinnier than the old version? But I've read that the TG3 Neo is 39 degrees. Not so hard? My blade is Hurricane Hao and the outer plies are very soft. Will it be a problem? Will TG3 Neo be more dangerous (without tuning) than the TG3 blue sponge. You said none of them is fast (maybe none chinese rubber which is untuned except Gambler Outlaw?) but which out of them is faster and more dangerous? 

I read that the TG series are designed for chinese penhold but I don't know if it's true.
icc0191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icc0191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 9:23am
Hi there, just what is tuning and how do you do it?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by corsuse corsuse wrote:

So the blue sponge won't be a good idea. Without tuning it won't be dangerous :(. If you tune it, this is a completely different stuff. I think the TG3 Neo would be faster and even spinnier than the old version? But I've read that the TG3 Neo is 39 degrees. Not so hard? My blade is Hurricane Hao and the outer plies are very soft. Will it be a problem? Will TG3 Neo be more dangerous (without tuning) than the TG3 blue sponge. You said none of them is fast (maybe none chinese rubber which is untuned except Gambler Outlaw?) but which out of them is faster and more dangerous? 

I read that the TG series are designed for chinese penhold but I don't know if it's true.

I'd say blue sponge and neo are similar in terms of speed.
yes tg3 neo is a bit faster than the old tg3.
not sure if spinnier however.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 12:09pm
I've played neo tg3 on the same blade at the same time as the original, both new sheets and there's almost no difference between them. They are both fast enough, the original makes a little more spin and I preferred it over the neo but really there's hardly any difference

Edited by nicefrog - 09/21/2010 at 12:12pm
tiburon74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiburon74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 1:38pm
I already use the 3 rubbers, the old TG3 was tackier than the blue sponge and NEO, but the rubber depends a lot on speed glue to get bounce and beat the tackiness, i also try that rubber with tuner and really doesnt feel well, cause the old TG3 with speed glue got power, with tuner no. But, talking about distance, the old TG3 is the one with the most distance for playing. The blue sponge TG3 is sorfter on the sponge, less tackier than the old TG3, also softer, that rubber got the best feeling from the 3, and also is the one with more gears, got good distance, but not as much distance as the old TG3, also the blue sponge is the one with less power from the 3 and really needs tuner, and the biggest problem with that rubber is durability, i found that the blue sponge only last from 1 to 3 weeks, one even last me 2 days, all of the blue sponge i use i made bubbles on every sheet i use. Finally the NEO TG3, thats the one with more power of the 3, i also find it the one with the less feeling, i really need to use tuner on that to got more feeling from the rubber, i also find that is the one with less distance of the 3 and also the hardest, i use it on 40 degress sponge. Close to the table the NEO is really explosive, more than the other two, far to the table you need a lot of force to make the ball pass over the net, also, you need a lot of training with the NEO, cause you have to got as much precision as possible, that rubber got a little margin of error on the hit.

1 Ply Hinoki Club

Darker Speed 90
Tenergy 05
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 1:57pm
tiburon 74 Thank you for the review. I use HH so I need a hard sponge to fit the blade. You said TG3 Neo was the hardes. So it will be the best for me. The spinnest rubber would be the old TG3 but you have to glue it regularly :(. What degrees of the sponge of TG3 Neo are available in the stores?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 2:16am
if you get a REAL authentic blue sponge then I'd go with that. I have no problem playing off the table with it, and I'm not tuning it right now. When I loop with full force closer to the table its very good. It also has the grippiest topsheet, almost like H2 in terms of grabbing the ball. Wonderful for service. NEO topsheet not as good.  

TG3 NEO does not have the feel, but its bouncier and a bit faster. Either way you're looking at a rubber that has a smaller margain for error than any other DHS rubber, and also more so than most chinese rubbers period, and if you are just using it because wang hao uses it, i would strongly advise you to stay away from it, and just get H3. It's really not a beginners rubber. H3 is more forgiving, and more suitable for more players at more levels, that's why its one of the most, if not THE most popular chinese rubber. H3 NEO is nice, and very playable. TG3 you really need something extra to go along with.
goodbyesaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodbyesaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 2:27am
I know a lot of people tried to replace the FH with a Chinese Rubber and 100% went back to Europe Rubbers.
Don't know the reasons though.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 2:55am
if you're grooved on european rubbers, then try to go to chinese rubbers you realize that the rubber doesn't do as much of the work for you, so you go back because it's out of your comfort zone.

I switched relatively early on, so they fit. You have to have more precise technique to be the same consistency with them. That's why I like them- they are brutually honest when it comes to telling me how bad I am. Plus the ball kicks off the table more when looping, its harder to hit through the loop of someone using chinese rubber than it is of someone using european rubber. They also have benefits over the table.
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 5:00am
beeray1 You want to say that all TG3 are hard to play with? Also the Neo topsheet is not very good and the Neo TG3 hasn't got much control but is a bit faster than the other? While the blue sponge TG3 has more feel and is not so bad without tuning and is a better choice? But isn't the blue sponge TG3 very soft?

Edited by corsuse - 09/22/2010 at 5:01am
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 1:42pm
I tried H2 Neo. It wasn't very fast but produced easily spin. However, sometimes the ball simply fell down when I was hitting it. What'st the problem?
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 2:45pm
It means you are only brushing the ball.  You have no forward component when you hit.  I though I have not used TG3, I will assume it is like H3 in the sense that it's not that grippy.  Yes, its tacky but it is not grippy so the ball will slip if you try to brush too much.

All the Hurricanes and TGs have tons of speed if you know how to hit correctly with it.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 3:19pm

shouldn't have that problem with h2 though- H2 is also VERY VERY grippy along with tacky. However it might be a NEO thing.

same with Tg3 blue sponge. Very very grippy.

H2 is without the tack, still the grippiest rubber I've ever seen.

corsuse- tg3 isn't necessarily hard to use, it's just not forgiving. If you are hitting the ball incorectly it's really going to show you.

I would recommend starting with H3 NEO, and then after you go through a sheet or two of that, then try Tg3 NEO and see what you think. NEO you don't have to hit as hard to get the speed as blue sponge. It has it's own spring. TG3 is faster than H3 but H3 has lots of mid range gears, and will let you get comfortable with your looping.

I like TG3 blue with nothing, but it takes some effort. It has lots of control and spin. Boosted its very good. NEO will keep you away from having to worry about that.

so get H3 NEO.
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 5:48pm
Thanks for your review. I will have to go with the TG3 Neo if I decide to buy a TG3 rubber. 

So I should hit the ball with more forward and powerful motion not just slightly brush it. I should try this the next time. I will hit harder and more forward.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 7:13pm
BTW, I  am already playing more than a month with a H2NEO and really like it. What I don't understand is was it there any tuning effect and if there is any, for how long it will stay before I see difference .It still plays like the first day....C'mon experts Geek

Edited by Kolev - 09/22/2010 at 7:16pm
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

BTW, I  am already playing more than a month with a H2NEO and really like it. What I don't understand is was it there any tuning effect and if there is any, for how long it will stay before I see difference .It still plays like the first day....C'mon experts Geek

I felt the same way about H3 NEO.  I used sheets for 6 months+ and it felt the same as day one Big smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 6:59am
Thumbs Up Good news. I am happy cause the H2 NEO 39° seems to be a perfect match with my Senkoh 90.The TG3(orange sponge) is on my BH and I like it a lot, but the H2 r is unbeatable for my FH among all the chinese I've tried so far.....but frankly, haven't tried the rest of the NEO's 
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 7:07am
@Kolev can you compare the H2 and TG3 Neos Smile?
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 9:16am
Which do you feel is faster and more powerful?
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 11:04am
TG3 is "nicer" than H2 but not ultimately as powerful, but there's so little difference in the spin potential and speed I think nearly everyone would be better off with TG3. I feel like TG3 gives you all the good qualities of H2 and H3 without the bad side affects both those rubbers have
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 2:48pm

i agree with nicefrogs comment but I also won't be sticking with TG3 because i don't like the trajectory of the ball coming off of it. It's longer than what I want.

I feel like with h2 or H3 I can get the ball down much quicker with the same stroke- the ball feels much more directly related to how I'm hitting it.. while it feels like TG3 is trying to accomodate for something that i don't need it to accomodate for. Therefore sending the ball in a longer trajectory.

Edited by beeray1 - 09/23/2010 at 2:54pm
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 2:50pm
Today I tested again the H2 Neo and I was amazed. Very much spin, speed, control. The game becomes very satisfying and bring happiness. If TG3 Neo is similar I might go with it.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 2:56pm
why not just use H2 NEO?
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 3:10pm
I imitate Wang Hao. HH + TG3 is supposed to be his combination. I know his blade and abilities are to another level but I am that kind of person.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic