Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Serves Tactics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serves Tactics.
    Posted: 03/16/2010 at 11:43am
recently i have problems with my serves. i only think to attack after my serves therefore my opponent attack it first.

what factors do you consider before executing your serves? what is your strategy for yours serves? anyone want to share maybe i can learn something from your tactics.

Now i use DHS Hking 655 but i miss my the moments i use dr neubaeur firewall plus.
Sponsored Links

FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by nashron nashron wrote:

recently i have problems with my serves. i only think to attack after my serves therefore my opponent attack it first.

what factors do you consider before executing your serves? what is your strategy for yours serves? anyone want to share maybe i can learn something from your tactics.

This is my 2 cents:

I have several serves that with the same motion, I can have a long and short serves, and also different rotation (side or underspin).  If my opponent attacks my long serve, I mix it up with the short serve so he has to guess most of the time.  I also vary the location of my serve with the same type of spin, for example, side-underspin serve: to the wide backhand, to the middle, short and to the forehand.

You probably serve to the power zone of your opponent and not get back to your ready position quick enough.  Next time, try the same serve but not to his power zone so when he attacks, it will be weak so you can put it away, or try to vary it so he can't attack or cannot change his position quick enough to get a power shot.

To me, I find the long serve which barely goes off the table is good for preventing the opponent to attack your serve strongly.  But if he still can attack then you will need to make it shorter to have it bounce twice on the table (if untouched by the opponent) or away from his power zone.

Hope it helps.  And I'd like to hear from others as well because I need to work on my serve tactics too.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

This is my 2 cents:

I have several serves that with the same motion, I can have a long and short serves, and also different rotation (side or underspin).  If my opponent attacks my long serve, I mix it up with the short serve so he has to guess most of the time.  I also vary the location of my serve with the same type of spin, for example, side-underspin serve: to the wide backhand, to the middle, short and to the forehand.

You probably serve to the power zone of your opponent and not get back to your ready position quick enough.  Next time, try the same serve but not to his power zone so when he attacks, it will be weak so you can put it away, or try to vary it so he can't attack or cannot change his position quick enough to get a power shot.

To me, I find the long serve which barely goes off the table is good for preventing the opponent to attack your serve strongly.  But if he still can attack then you will need to make it shorter to have it bounce twice on the table (if untouched by the opponent) or away from his power zone.

Hope it helps.  And I'd like to hear from others as well because I need to work on my serve tactics too.

FireHorse

a heavy bottom spin to the powerzone is a gud idea or try to avoid it at all?
Now i use DHS Hking 655 but i miss my the moments i use dr neubaeur firewall plus.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:38pm

This is my 2 cents:

FireHorse

a heavy bottom spin to the powerzone is a gud idea or try to avoid it at all?

It depends, if he can attack and you can't control his attack then I think you should avoid it.  You can serve it lighter so he can't attack it strongly, but if he reads it well then you don't want to give him easy point.  My point is you should serve so that he will not do whatever he wants to get easy point or giving you a hard time.  So, it depends on the situations and the opponents.
Current Setup:
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:38pm
not a good idea if the guy you're playing can loop it. if not then go ahead.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:44pm
*As serving is one of my favorite topic and it's one of the thing that I'm quite good at, I'm going to give you quite some details here:

1) Golden rule should be keep the opponent guessing. Doesn't matter how much spin and what type of spin you put on the ball, where you land the ball, if the opponent anticipated well enough and they have quite good attacking skill then you will still be in deep trouble.

2) Don't try to make hard serves that you can't even return when your opponent successfully returned.

3) You have to control the amount of spin and the type of spin you put on your serve. It would be very dangerous if you just randomly put a lot of spin which you don't even know if it's topspin or backspin that you put on the ball because you can't anticipate your opponent's reaction ( are they gonna push back, block or loop, etc. )

4) What I do is that I mix up serves of different lengths, and type of spin + amount of spin. Try to practice and have serves that looks almost the same but they are totally different, that will bring you some cheap points or just totally setup your 3rd ball attack.

5) Serve accordingly to the type of opponent. If they are well-trained and quite high level, then be more careful. If it's a noobie or just beginner then a very spinny serve will already give them enough trouble.

6) Double-bounce serve is usually the most effective one since it limits the ability of your opponent to return the serve strongly therefore gives you an upper hand. Even though, do not underestimate the power of long, fast serves. Especially deep and fast no-spin serves to the elbow or to the other side. If you're a chopper, it wouldn't be too bad to use long serves frequently to provoke attacks but if you're an attacker then you have to use long serves very carefully, you have to make sure that you're ready to counter-attack.

7) Even it's 6-10 or 9-10 to your opponent or 10-10 in the last set, don't just panic and serve a short backspin serve, when they have good morale, that serve is a piece of cake. You can play risky game and use a fast, deep serve, I sometimes do that and it's not bad at all !

Hope this helps.
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 3:12pm
I will tell you what my coach has engrained in me.

Keep short serve short, long serves long and fast.

A short serve of course is only as good as it's spin. If you THINK you ar serving underspin but theyare light underspin or dead ball, expect an attack on a short serve. Same with long serves.

Te objctof the serve is to "sell" one serve. Heavy underspin, light top etc. That makes the other serves more effective.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
Ryu_S_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryu_S_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 3:32pm
in tournaments I serve short backspin pendulum, short reverse backspin pendulum, fast float pendulum and short backhand side spin serve, if I am really down and not know what to do I try tomahawk serve and it works quite good against some players, I started doing it against former national junior team membet and lost only 3:2 and 11:9 in the fifth and beat our cadet national team member, I was down 2:1 and then started to do tomahawk serve, he make 4-5 service return mistakes and I won 3:2 Smile
Blade: BTY Balsa Carbo X5 An
Fh: Donic JO Coppa Platin
Bh: Donic JO Coppa Platin
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:36pm
You need to know your serves well.  If you want short underspin in the middle then it should be short underspin and lands in the middle (of course middle of the table but close to the net).  If you want your serve to be double-bounce, curves to the left and lands around the elbow of your opponent, then it should be that.

I used to have one serve that is long side-underspin but I couldn't control how much spin, how long it was and where it landed on the table so I couldn't predict what the return would be.  I'm not saying that you should predict the return but if you want to serve long but it ends up to be semi-long then you definitely got a strong return but you don't expect it because you think it's long enough to have a weak return.

FireHorse

Current Setup:
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ryu_S_M Ryu_S_M wrote:

in tournaments I serve short backspin pendulum, short reverse backspin pendulum, fast float pendulum and short backhand side spin serve, if I am really down and not know what to do I try tomahawk serve and it works quite good against some players, I started doing it against former national junior team membet and lost only 3:2 and 11:9 in the fifth and beat our cadet national team member, I was down 2:1 and then started to do tomahawk serve, he make 4-5 service return mistakes and I won 3:2 Smile

Yeah, the tomahawk and backhand serves are sometimes the "life savers".  I used to have only one serve, that is forehand pendulum and a lot of people get used to it so even though I varied it, people still can handle it.  But with the tomahawk serve, they have a hard time handle it because now, it goes to their forehand that it's not easy for them to handle so I get some points off of the serve which I wouldn't got it if I continued serving with the forehand pendulum serves.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by Ryu_S_M Ryu_S_M wrote:

in tournaments I serve short backspin pendulum, short reverse backspin pendulum, fast float pendulum and short backhand side spin serve, if I am really down and not know what to do I try tomahawk serve and it works quite good against some players, I started doing it against former national junior team membet and lost only 3:2 and 11:9 in the fifth and beat our cadet national team member, I was down 2:1 and then started to do tomahawk serve, he make 4-5 service return mistakes and I won 3:2�Smile
Yeah, the tomahawk and backhand serves are sometimes the "life savers".� I used to have only one serve, that is forehand pendulum and a lot of people get used to it so even though I varied it, people still can handle it.� But with the tomahawk serve, they have a hard time handle it because now, it goes to their forehand that it's not easy for them to handle so I get some points off of the serve which I wouldn't got it if I continued serving with the forehand pendulum serves.FireHorse

+1. The tomahawk serve rules! Practically the same motion not only generates a lot of side spin, but also allows you to easily vary between short and long serves, slow and fast, to the opponents backhand, forehand and middle. Just look what Ovtcharov, Kenta Matsudaira and Ding Ning do - it's amazing.
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 9:13pm
i saw in youtube before.. waldner get easy point with his long bottom serves.. maybe it is too heavy?
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 9:48pm

This is my 2 cents:

FireHorse

emm power zone is something i dont really think before, just reliase that every player has different power zone. i should analyse their power zone now :)
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 12:42am
The main thing is practice serving, and practice for a reason, practice for predicted return , practice for your third ball attack
the average rally is 3.7 or less times over so get a bucket of balls and try lot of variations from the same starting point, then the same from your backhand
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
sauron_03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauron_03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:08am
how many serves do we need exactly??i mean how many type of serve do we need in other to confusing our ooponent??
blade: stiga clipper wood
bh: stiga almana sound
fh:xiom vega pro
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:19am

emm power zone is something i dont really think before, just reliase that every player has different power zone. i should analyse their power zone now :)

Yeah, different players have different power zones, and different players have different area where he's comfortable returning serves.  I think if the opponent can attack your serve and you can't do anything then you should avoid to serve there with the same type of spin, you can try to change up the spin to see if it gives him any problem.  If it does, great, if not, try somewhere else and then go back to that area once in a while to make him guessing.  The key point is make the opponent guessing, not too comfortable to attack your serves all the time.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by sauron_03 sauron_03 wrote:

how many serves do we need exactly??i mean how many type of serve do we need in other to confusing our ooponent??

IMHO, it doesn't need to be a lot but if you can have two types of spin, for example, heavy underspin and light or no spin and then if you can vary the lengths and the placements of these two serves then I think you're good enough but the main thing is you must know your serves well enough so when you serve, you know how much spin it is, where it goes to and if it's short or long so you don't get surprised returns.

And the more you have the better but I think you don't need a lot but know your serves well enough.

I'm not good at serving either but lately, I just vary the length and the placement of the serve, I make some opponents feel uncomfortable, not easy to do whatever they want to do as before.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
sauron_03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauron_03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:29am
good explainationSmile
so i guess...watever we want to serve..then let da opponent move or make them a bit shakey o hard 2 return n prevent them 2 return da serve so esy..rite?
by then,we shud know da charactristic of our serve n expected the ball return by da opponent.
blade: stiga clipper wood
bh: stiga almana sound
fh:xiom vega pro
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:39am
Originally posted by sauron_03 sauron_03 wrote:

good explainationSmile
so i guess...watever we want to serve..then let da opponent move or make them a bit shakey o hard 2 return n prevent them 2 return da serve so esy..rite?
by then,we shud know da charactristic of our serve n expected the ball return by da opponent.

No, not really that.  I think first of all, we need to know our serves well enough so in the game, we can execute them the way we want them to be and depend on the opponent, we execute different kind of serves. 

You don't need to make your opponent move but giving them serve that they are not comfortable to put it away. 

If you know what type of serve you execute, you probably know the type of return it will be.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 8:32am
IMHO: The purpose - not to receive powerful attack of the contender.
Way:
1.Low serve ! !
2.Various directions, length, speed.
3.Different spin.
4.Unexpectedness.
5.To prepare for your third ball attack .
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 8:41am
the tips i get from this forum is very useful, this evening i apply in my game, now before i serves i will think which place is the best n which spin to apply that will make my opponent difficult to read. before this i just serves to the place i want without thinking too much about my opponent esp his power zone.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 8:56am
one thing that hasn't been mentioned much here (except for by viktorovich), is that keeping a serve low is just about the single most important thing when serving. A slightly high long serve will get powerlooped by a good players, just as a slightly high short serve will get flip-killed by a good player.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 10:42am
The most important thing about your serve is that it does what you are asking of it. It needs to introduce the ball into the rally in the way you wish the rally to commence by cutting down the options of the receiver so he is limited and you can commit to your connecting stroke. When you can do this you have the makings of a constructive game pattern, the limiting factor being the level of your opponent in relation to you.
 There are a multitude of ways of serving to achieve this, but a start is to perfect a 'half long' chop/float variation with yr f/hand from the pendulum serving position (b/hand corner) across the diagonal or to the mid third.
The Older I get, The better I was.
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 12:24am
sometimes i think it is dangerous to server no spin or light , even low n mid table because people is it to attack it compare to bottom spin, what is ur opinion on this?
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 9:15am

sometimes i think it is dangerous to server no spin or light , even low n mid table because people is it to attack it compare to bottom spin, what is ur opinion on this?

It could be dangerous if you keep doing it or you somehow don't make it as a surprised serve.  But if you mix it with underspin serve then it could be more to your advantage.  The light or no spin serve sometimes catches the opponent off-guard so you can get the point right away or set it up for your third ball.  But you need to have the guts to execute it.

FireHorse

Current Setup:
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 2:20pm

If it is an obvious dead serve you are certainly correct.  If it looks like a spinny serve delivered from the same motion then it can be effective.  On the other hand, a very spinny underspin serve that always goes too long and never varies much is equally easy to attack.   
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If it is an obvious dead serve you are certainly correct.  If it looks like a spinny serve delivered from the same motion then it can be effective.  On the other hand, a very spinny underspin serve that always goes too long and never varies much is equally easy to attack.   

can we discuss in detail good tips how to vary serves that look like same motion for underspin/top spin/ side spin/no spin?

i get one tips from my senior player, he suggest at the ver 0.00001 moment than that time u can change your strategies to confious your opponent.

one of my coach suggest, i can change my grip but use same motion for my serves.

some of the players i observe, the just vary the power but use same motion.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 4:40am

can we discuss in detail good tips how to vary serves that look like same motion for underspin/top spin/ side spin/no spin?

To vary the amount of back spin between heavy and light, contact the ball at the tip of the bat for heavy, and near the handle for light, using the same arm speed.
The Older I get, The better I was.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 4:43am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

To vary the amount of back spin between heavy and light, contact the ball at the tip of the bat for heavy, and near the handle for light, using the same arm speed.
now you show your passion for tt.
i enjoyed reading that  post.
sulli182 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sulli182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 2:17pm

Mostly serve to where you put your opponent on the wrong side of the ball.  I.E. for righties always serve your backhand side spin serves or reverse forehand serves to your opponents forehand (righties) so that to get on the "right" side of the ball they have to manipulate their wrist.  You will also find that some players get to the "right" side of the ball when you do this but dont understand why.  So serving these guys where they will be on the right side they will still bend their wrist and get on the wrong side.  figure out early in a match if they are good at doing both and if not exploit what works

Innerforce ZLF - FL
Sriver - G3 2.1
Sriver - G3 2.1

Michael Maze - Back up Blade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic