Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Short Serve Strategy Question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Serve Strategy Question?
    Posted: 05/24/2010 at 9:52pm

Hi All,

I have a question about short serve strategy that I would like to discuss it with you.

Particularly about short serve and where you mainly put it. Let say both players are right handed and play at medium level, the question is: what are the benefits of mainly serving short into opponent's BH?

My ex-coach once told me to mainly serve to opponent's BH because normally, BH is weaker than the FH so it is safer...

Other than just for variation, or serving to a weaker zone, I can't think
any other benefit of mainly serving short to opponent's BH.

Of course, in a game, you will try to vary the location where you put the ball i.e. fh, bh or middle with short or long combination but I think there is probably a particular location where you serve more than any other location to your opponents.

I tend to think that mainly serving short to opponent's FH has more benefits than mainly serving short to opponent's BH.

The benefits are:

1. You are forcing the opponents to move in and out. He needs to move in quickly to make a good return and move out again quickly ready for the next shot. Needless to say, this is a huge advantage.

2. In the long haul, the opponent will be 'probably' more unsettled to which position he needs to cover depend on how good you play but definitely more tired because he/she has to constantly move in and out quickly to cover his position.

3. FH flip is harder to learn and generally weaker compared to BH flick/loop in the table, so again this is a safer zone I think.

Short serve to opponent's BH does not have the advantage of moving the opponent in and out.

Furthermore, what I've found is that when I serve FH pendulum to opponent's BH, more than often the opponent
receives with his FH and return it deep or short into my FH forcing me to move.. In terms of position,  I have been disadvantage. so why would you mainly serve short to opponent's BH?

I've watched professional videos lately, I notice that they tend to serve short more into opponent's FH. Am I right? WLQ, Wang Hao. Liu She Wen, Ma long etc... 

Please give me your opinion and correct me if I am not right.

Thank you..

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2010 at 10:06pm
for me, the whole point is position...as you put it. at medium level, you can pretty much just serve short and not have to worry all that much. but the reason why some are hesitant to serve to the fh side is b/c of the flip situation (crosscourt to your fh side).

this means that you have to chase down a shot that's even further away from you than if you had served to the bh side (the flip will just go down the line instead). it's a game of angles.

the basic underspin/side-under pendulum serve has the main advantage of putting pressure on your opponent in two ways. forces him to 'try' to return the ball short enough so that you don't step to your fh and loop drive the hell out of the ball. and if he wants to 'try' and flip the ball, it has to be strong enough so that you don't (again) counterloop the hell out of the ball...

for me, i serve more towards the middle of the table so that the angle of returns aren't extreme on one side or another. if it goes wide fh, i can usually step and loop the ball if not fish it.

but long story short, that's why i serve to the bh mostly.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2010 at 11:27pm
Thanks for your input, tpgh2k. But I still don't quite get it. Is chasing the ball cross court is harder than down the line?

I thought the amount of distance that I have to cover is about the same. In this situation i.e. return is deep into my FH (cross court or down the line), will it be more advantage to have my opponent also move into an out of position i.e. into his FH side.. rather than him not moving much controlling me to move right and left. What do you think?

About the pendulum short serve into opponent's BH, if my opponent successfully return the ball short in my FH, than I am forced to move in... I can either flick, deep push or return short... but in anyway I have been disadvantaged because firstly I have to move in and secondly I can't execute my strongest stroke e.g. loop or hit.. I am forced to do a passive return or a flick which is a weaker shot compared to loop or hit.

In the same scenario, if my opponent successfully return deep into my FH (down the line), then again I am forced to move into my FH where my opponent does not really need to move much...

In both cases, my opponent is controlling me rather than me control him. Is like why do you serve by giving the ball come to him, why not him come to the ball?

Do you get what I mean?

Please give me your input so that I can learn and understand more.

Thank you...
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:46am
If you serve side/under to forehand,a natural return is to slide it deep to the forehand. I feel a lot of players can open up on the backhand side with a flip a lot easier than on the forehand. And serving to the forehand requires more movement from the opponent.
High level players from China that I've seen mainly serving short to the forehand and follow up with a monster forehand.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 1:23am
As tpgh2k said, it is a game of angles. Typically when serving with your forehand you want to serve from your backhand corner so you can immediately step into the correct ready position on the table. So your position for the majority of FH service is already fixed. Serving down the line gives you a shorter distance to work with both to the net and to the other end of the table. This smaller distance means you have put less into your serves, i.e. spin and speed, while still bouncing twice on the opponents side. So you are serving an inherently weaker shot that will be easier to flip/fast push/drop shot. At the same time you are stepping around from your BH corner and your FH side is exposed. A crosscourt return is going to be safer and easier (because of the longer distance crosscourt) than going down the line so you are giving your opponent the safe shot. That is not going to set you up to receive a ball you can easily kill or play as you wish and will put you on the defensive.

In general when I play other lefties I like to serve down the line occasionally with super fast dead balls if they think they have pro level footwork and stand deep in their backhand corner. That takes a good deception though so they don't see it till it's too late.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 1:33am
I like the idea of randomly serving short to thier FH as the opposition has to do more work to get there and if thier reply isnt good you can catch them while still recovering ie at the tummy or to thier left shoulder
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 2:47am
Thanks for the input guys... keep it coming...

So as explain by Bmonkey, another advantage of serving serve to opponent's BH is that we have more room for double bounce and hence can applied more spin and speed. Probably, more suit for a 3rd ball attack type of play?

Any other input?

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 4:16am
I have found that double bounce serves are usually safe, OK safer, but I find my self torn between two goals, the double bounce and the back spin When I double bounce serve with back spin the ball loses a lot of its back spin when it hits the table and even more when it hits the opponents side. I can put more backspin on the ball but the same force that makes the spin also pushes the ball forward so that the ball may not double bounce.   It is clear to me that serving the ball downward should be done a at a as low an angle as possible and yet not with too much speed.   Serving the ball at a low angle keeps the ball from losing too much back spin when the ball hits the table but the ball travels too far. Any thoughts?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 5:09am
The positioning of the serve is most important because you are dictating the 'angle of play' the reason pendulum serves are often from the b/hand corner to the opponents b/hand corner is because you can dictate where the opponent CAN'T put the ball, ie wide of your f/hand beyond the side of the table (or an extention of) so you can ignore a major area of court that he cannot play the ball into, this allows you to comitt to an attacking stroke with yr f/hand within a smaller zone.
If you serve pendulum from the b/hand corner down the line to his f/hand, once again you are dictating the angle of play, he cannot play the ball wide to yr b/hand because there is no angle to squeeze, you are exposed wide to yr f/hand, but ofcourse you know this and can rule out having to cover your wide b/hand court. Its all about limiting the options of your opponent, and increasing yours.

So, given the examples above, your ready position immediately after the serve will be in two different places, centric to the court that needs to be covered, ignoring the court that does not.
The Older I get, The better I was.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 5:21am
if you serve very short to my fh...

if its underspin: i will aggressive push wide to your fh or drop short wide to your fh.  the step i take will be worth it because you will have to run for that shot since i will get a better angle than you.  also, you need to be able to loop underspin that has sidespin.  good luck with that.
if your underspin isnt heavy enough, ill be flipping too.

if its no spin: aggressive flip.  one of my favorite shots.  that nice crack sound off a flip is eargasmic.  i have a better fh flip than bh flip.  it all depends on the player here.

if its topspin: pretty much the same idea as what i do to no spin.

IMO, i prefer serving short to bh.  of course i vary it a bit, but its main to bh.

the reason why pros prefer to serve to fh is to bait the opponent.  if i had the reaction and footwork as them, id be doing the same thing.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 7:25am
picture this...a down the line return (from a serve to the  bh) is just that...down the white edge line of the table. a serve to the fh, when attacked by the receiver and sent WIDE to YOUR fh, will have a ball bounce at about halfway distance of the table on your side and on the line (this ball travels even further away from you.

so instead of traveling 1 table length to chase down a ball, you're going to have to travel 1.5 to 2 table lengths.

if you have quick feet, then i see no problem following up with a monster loop. i can maybe do it on a really good day with no slipping. but most days...not a chance in my life.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

picture this...a down the line return (from a serve to the  bh) is just that...down the white edge line of the table. a serve to the fh, when attacked by the receiver and sent WIDE to YOUR fh, will have a ball bounce at about halfway distance of the table on your side and on the line (this ball travels even further away from you.

so instead of traveling 1 table length to chase down a ball, you're going to have to travel 1.5 to 2 table lengths.

if you have quick feet, then i see no problem following up with a monster loop. i can maybe do it on a really good day with no slipping. but most days...not a chance in my life.
 If you learn to 'use the angle of play' when you serve as you state above, you will already have moved into the 'optimum ready position' before you have to play your third ball, in this case if would be as far right as you can move whilst still being able to cover your b/hand corner (with yr b/hand) so you are halfway there so to speak. this is what sorts the standards out and whether you have a structured game or not, to serve and wait, rather than moving into the optimum position of play angle, is something that many players can work on as they develop their serves.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 9:58am
I vary my direction, I mean, I can serve short to the forehand or backhand to keep my opponent guessing. Also, you will need to come to some kind of a decision based on your opponent. Hookshot once wrote about a girl he played in China and anything to her backhand was returned like a torpedo that went past him and end of point. He actually managed to win by playing to her forehand or by moving her around.
So some players will make easy work of great serves because they are just good at a certain shot that just happens to be the best shot for that specific serve, and others will mess up fairly simple serves.
Every opponent is different, hence you cannot come to a decision about forehand side or backhand side until you have gauged your opponents strengths. After that, variation is the key. Also, short serves need to be low, otherwise short and high is a kill. And if it is much too short, some players will just flip it back over the net, if they are fast that is.
If your opponent is slow to move, and standing close to the table then a fast underspin serve right into his elbow could actually cramp him up more than a short underspin serve. And then if he stands a bit further back, serve him the very short one and force him to move forward.
Variation and keep him moving.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

So some players will make easy work of great serves because they are just good a certain shot that just happens to be the best shot for that specific serve, and others will mess up fairly simple serves.
Every opponent is different, hence you cannot come to a decision about forehand side or backhand side until you have gauged your opponents strengths. After that, variation is the key. Also, short serves need to be low, otherwise short and high is a kill. And if it is much too short, some players will just flip it back over the net, if they are fast that is.

Thumbs%20Up 

I totally agree that each player can have a better return on a certain serve than the other.  I need to gauge my opponent to see which serves give him more trouble than the other.  For example, if I serve forehand pendulum serve short to his backhand and if he's so good at flipping the serve with the backhand then I'm in trouble.  He can flip the ball or backhand attack it because the ball curve to his backhand which is easier for him to attack, but if I can serve the reverse forehand pendulum serve (I'm working on it), then the ball curve more to his forehand which it would make it more difficult for him to use his backhand to flip or loop it.  The reverse is true to the short serve to his forehand.

FireHorse

Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 7:06pm
One thing about serving short to the forehand is there is less margin of error-- serves can float just a bit longer than you would like and then you are inviting an attack if your opponent has a good forehand and is always looking to exploit a weak serve--in other words, anyone good. Especially with pendulum serves. I find that is less likely to occur with the little "hook" serves used by Wang Hao and Liu Shiwen, it is really easy to keep those low and tight and to vary the spin in ways that are not easy to see.

Anyway, it is good to be able to serve all over the table for the reason mentioned by Ranger-man.  All kinds of players out there have something they do really well and it is good to feel confident in being able to play "keep away" right from the beginning of the point.
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 7:58pm
Thanks for all the input, guys...

I know that we need to vary the serve, but in a game, let's say you are 10-10, if my math is correct this means you are serving about 10 times. Do you serve all over the place evenly e.g FH 40%, Middle 30% and BH 30%? or do you serve mainly to a spot/spots and occasionally throw some surprises to keep the opponent playing honest with that spot e.g. FH 60% Middle 20% BH 20% or even FH 80%, M 10% BH 10%?

When we talk about variation, by serving mainly to a spot let's say FH 60% Middle 20% and BH 20%, I am not only doing a variation during serving but also variation during the play. For example, if I serve short to my opponent's FH, once instance I can return deep to his BH, make him awarely cautious to quickly return to his BH position.. but the next time you can also drop it short again in his FH.. making him to move back in and out again or deep to his FH...

With this kind of strategy, I think I have a continuous strategy serve.. what I mean is that one serve is related to the next serve. If you too randomly serve all over the place.. it is too random... one serve is not related to the next serve...

What do you think, guys? Keep it coming... I am learning..

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:23pm
I think most players would return to their bh side. At least the fh dominant players. Watch my video, I don't eeven use my bh
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

Thanks for all the input, guys...

I know that we need to vary the serve, but in a game, let's say you are 10-10, if my math is correct this means you are serving about 10 times. Do you serve all over the place evenly e.g FH 40%, Middle 30% and BH 30%? or do you serve mainly to a spot/spots and occasionally throw some surprises to keep the opponent playing honest with that spot e.g. FH 60% Middle 20% BH 20% or even FH 80%, M 10% BH 10%?

When we talk about variation, by serving mainly to a spot let's say FH 60% Middle 20% and BH 20%, I am not only doing a variation during serving but also variation during the play. For example, if I serve short to my opponent's FH, once instance I can return deep to his BH, make him awarely cautious to quickly return to his BH position.. but the next time you can also drop it short again in his FH.. making him to move back in and out again or deep to his FH...

With this kind of strategy, I think I have a continuous strategy serve.. what I mean is that one serve is related to the next serve. If you too randomly serve all over the place.. it is too random... one serve is not related to the next serve...

What do you think, guys? Keep it coming... I am learning..

Instead of trying to pump the forum for information, you should try it out for yourself and learn what you can/cant do and what each opponent can/cant do. Actual in game service strategy is much more complicated than just a percentage forehand, percentage center, percentage backhand.
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 1:12am
Instead of trying to pump the forum for information, you should try it out for yourself and learn what you can/cant do and what each opponent can/cant do. Actual in game service strategy is much more complicated than just a percentage forehand, percentage center, percentage backhand.
 +1. Every opponent has different styles so it varies. You have to test the water all the time. Though this may work as your play for a 3rd ball attack. 
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 8:47am
yes no such thing as percentages, just work the table looking for you benifit, but you must drop at least a couple of short ones to thier forehand especially if the are on the far left protecting thier backhand, and if they get them back with a loop or flick the don't do it 9-9 lol, you must do or have at least 12 different serves and placements, as you just never knows what might work
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 9:03pm
Good input from APW about the explanation of angle, of what we are trying to do or in this case try to limit the opponent...

My assumption is that I am playing right handed attacker with both smooth rubbers . Of course, needless to say, I am practising and trying all these things. I am also playing with different kind of styles, height strengths, etc...

The only reason why I go to forum and asked is because even after I practice, I still don't like the return or the play sequence as a result of serving short into my opponent's BH...  Not that I cannot return, but I don't understand what the serve is trying to achieve and how the serve fit into the overall strategy...  Is it to force backhand to backhand rally? tempt opponent to step around? attacking with forehand flick? moving opponents? attacking his/her BH? or what?

if I know the answers... then I should know what sort of skill or play set need to be improved and against what opponent's style I should use this serve more...

I am trying to play a game where I don't need to depend much on serve deception. I don't lose many points on return serve and neither my opponents. We lost most of the points during rally.... mostly, being not able to initiate a strong attack.. that's why I am trying to understand what I am trying to achieve with serving short into opponent's BH...    

Thanks guys.. ... keep it coming..
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 10:51pm
i think you gotta have serve deception or at least surprise. if your serves are easy to read or predict, then you're giving your opponent all the initiative. you cannot win this way unless you're playing against someone with much lower skill level.
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 11:56pm

yes, addoydude.. I am not saying that I am not doing a serve deception. I am doing it and definitely a surprise serve... because I need my opponent to be honest against the spot that I am mainly serving to...

But I am not expecting for a loose return... If you play a good player surely s/he won't be fooled too much, will s/he?

I have played against a very good and structured player. In one instance, I felt that I can't even initiate a strong attack... only push or a flick... His serve was tight and he was able to attack strongly against my short serve into his BH... During the match  I was hardly able to initiate attack with loop or hit... I felt limited and constantly under attack.. felt like I was just doing passive strokes such as pushing and blocking.. 

Have you ever been to this situation before? Firstly, I thought that my opponent is just too fast for me... but then I realised it is not that he is faster than me... but he is playing a much tighter game than me... not allowing me to open the game strongly... 

Then I changed my strategy to what I have explained before, as long as he is not able to attack my serve strongly... then I have a chance...
overall I am still lost to him, but I am closer...

What do you think?.. Please give me input...
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 2:50am
serve deception & surprise will get you some free point from less skilled opponents. from more skilled opponents, it may not give you a loose return, but it will increase your chances of getting a safe return rather than an attack. so instead of defending against the second-ball attack, you have a chance to do your third-ball or fifth-ball attack.

i have a losing record against most of my regular playing partners, so i certainly know what it's like to play better players. but even those players i can't beat, i can still deceive with my serves from time to time, and i do get them to dump the ball into the net or pop up the ball by making them misread my serve.

my problem area is not that i am not able to attack, but that i make too many errors when attacking. among other things of course -- i lose points receiving serves or defending against attack too.

also the better players that i play with just has so much better balance and anticipation, that they can put me on the wrong foot. they surprise me more than i surprise them.

i think if you are out of position or did not anticipate the shot, this will cause you to react passively, which just give your opponent a ball to actively play, and then the cycle repeats.

so i think part of the solution is better footwork. another is taking the initiative, and actively limiting your opponents options (so you get surprised less).

another thing i find works with players at my same level is being unpredictable and deceptive. and this starts from the serve.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

i think you gotta have serve deception or at least surprise. if your serves are easy to read or predict, then you're giving your opponent all the initiative. you cannot win this way unless you're playing against someone with much lower skill level.
 You can, I know quite a few players who have very readable and predictable serves, very easy to return too, the problem is they are very polished and difficult to do anything with that has not been covered by them for the third ball. If you only have one serve but it is quality, you can exel in attacking every permutation for a return and construct a considerable game around it. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know.Wink
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

�You can, I know quite a few players who have very readable and predictable serves, very easy to return too, the problem is they are very polished and difficult to do anything with that has not been covered by them for the third ball. If you only have one serve but it is quality, you can exel in attacking every permutation for a return and construct a considerable game around it. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know.Wink

i think if somebody is using only 1 easy serve against you, he's probably doing it just to make the game competitive. :)

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 12:49pm

You can, I know quite a few players who have very readable and predictable serves, very easy to return too, the problem is they are very polished and difficult to do anything with that has not been covered by them for the third ball. If you only have one serve but it is quality, you can exel in attacking every permutation for a return and construct a considerable game around it. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know.Wink

i think if somebody is using only 1 easy serve against you, he's probably doing it just to make the game competitive. :)

No, some players play that way, against everyone, most have other serves admittedly, some don't though, you can build a serious game around one serve.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 12:54pm

No, some players play that way, against everyone, most have other serves admittedly, some don't though, you can build a serious game around one serve.

Most of defensive player has only 1 or 2 serves.  They just need to serve well enough so you don't get the ball pass them before they are ready.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Most of defensive player has only 1 or 2 serves.  They just need to serve well enough so you don't get the ball pass them before they are ready.
 Exactly, could not have put it better.
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2010 at 8:03pm

Wow.. APW Clap... I like it the way you explain.... "more than one way to skin a cat"... hehehe Smile... Seriously, this is what I am trying to build my game on.. less depend on serve, more into rally.. more into position movement..

Is there any advice if I want to build my game with this kind of strategy by serving short into my opponent's BH? What should I try to achieve? weak bh flip? BH to BH rally? or taking most of the return using FH?

What sort of short serves should I be using? pendulum/reverse serve with under/top? or probably just no side spin just under or no spin?

I watched Wang Hao, Liu She Wen and Hou Ying Chao.. they serve pretty simple actually.. spin/ no spin..  when they serve to opponent's FH, sometimes like ZJK, WH or Ma Long like to move to their FH position but using their BH loop/flick over the table to take that serve.

Keep it coming guys, thank you...
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic