Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single ply hinoki - center part of the tree ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single ply hinoki - center part of the tree ?
    Posted: 02/02/2008 at 8:21pm
I noted that on my Darker Speed 90 and Kokutaku J-pen, the center part of the rings showing growth of the tree are on the sides of the blade. This means for these blades the manufacturers use only one piece of wood cut vertically (along the height of the tree). This means that if the useable (good) part is for example 3 meters, and the width of for material for J-pen is 15 cm, they can get only about 20 blades (this will cause the high price). Then perhaps the parts next to the center part are used for lower grade blade. I wonder if my conclusion is correct. Any comments ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sponsored Links

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2008 at 9:17pm
i think you are on right track, my blade also has that elliptical rings on the sides. and i guess in center of the tree, the rings would be much denser, hence more expensive blades as u said. How is your new darker 90 playing? 
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2008 at 9:18pm
Not sure what you meant exactly.  If you could draw some picture it might help.

The sides of the Jpen that resemble the eyes are not the center of the tree growth rings.  If the side of the Jpen were cut dead straight instead of the slightly round curve, you won't see those those concentric oval circles - "the eyes."  Those eyes signify the growth lines along the side of the blade are straight.  The more and identifiable eyes you see would indicate the growth lines in that area (or years to be specific) are straighter and more packed together (or it means this particular Hinoki tree in those years got even precipitation, no drought, no sudden climate change, and suffered no trauma).
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2008 at 8:58am
Everest81, it will  be a while before I use the Speed 90, as I have to find spare time to shave and seal the sides as well as the cork part (the blade face is factory sealed).
GKnight, I will try to post a picture later.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2008 at 10:55am
My opinion is that they are not near the centers of the tree otherwise if you look at the bottom end of the blade, the lines would appear curved. Instead they are mostly straight indicating they are more likely to be taken from parts a distance away from the center so the lines appear parallel and quite straight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic