Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinmax homemade replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinmax homemade replacement
    Posted: 01/17/2007 at 1:25pm
Anybody knows how to make a homemade spinmax? It would be interesting, as the original is expensive.
Sponsored Links

Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 1:26pm
It's called Orange Soda. Any brand will work.
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 1:34pm
its called heptane. any brand will work
Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 1:45pm

Thanks fatcomet. I saw in other posts that it is probably mostly heptane. But it probably has other solvents. I saw a lot of information in the homemade glue topic forums.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 2:41pm
Somebody on about claimed to have done a chem analysis on it. They said it was just heptane with a very minute amount of rubber cement dissolved in it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 4:10pm

There is definitely a residual coating, likely rubber cement.  This coating begins to get worn away as you play and the worn spots become less tacky.  This degradation doesn't occur quickly but you will notice it.  

Spinmax red makes old slick rubber spinny again and makes sticky rubber sticker.  If you've got new sticky rubber, I'd stay away from the SpinMax until your topsheet begins to wear and loose some grip.  

Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2007 at 9:27am
Thanks Cole and JRSDallas. Let me say that I�ve seen discussions where there was opinions about the pressure of the gas of different solvents evaporating in the sponge/rubber. If there are solvents that do that, maybe those could improve heptane results. Any opinions on this? Thanks,
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2007 at 10:02am
Results as speed glue or as cleaner? I'm afraid I'm lost on that one. I think you just want cleaner to evaporate asap.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2007 at 12:32pm
I tend to assume (I may be wrong) that heptane works BOTH as a surface cleaner, AND that it also works evaporating inside the rubber and so creating pressure, pretty much as solvents in glues work. Yhat is why I was wondering if there were other solvents in Spinmax-type of products. By the way, I tried yesterday a rubber-cement diluent on an old rubber (rubber side) and it didn�t clean it, but the rubber got a dome!!!. I dunno what was in the diluent, but it was not heptane, toluene or trichloroeti....(whatever). What do u think happened? Maybe I can experiment further....
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2007 at 11:59pm
I spoke to the guy who manufactures Spinmax, and they tell me there is definitely more than just heptane in there. They also told me that many have tried to copy it or make it themselves, but none have succeeded...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2007 at 1:10am
A cheap substitute for Spinmax is WD-40.  It works just as well but requires a clean up.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2007 at 11:25am

Personally I don�t like the idea of WD40. I will try different solvents mixed with heptane. It may take time but I�ll try. I like the results but makes me mad to pay $20 for something that costs probably $2 to mnufacture. Anybody else willing to experiment?

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2007 at 11:45pm
Good idea Ricardote though Joola wont think so.  well we know it has in Heptane so the job is to find out what else then in what ratio.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2007 at 7:59am
it's not just heptane and rubber cement; have tried different proportions and no combination produces the sticky/tacky surface that spinmax does.

there must be another solvent and/or adhesive.
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 6:49pm
any other suggestion for heptane, or where can we buy em?
have anybody uses Armorall?
Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 7:07pm
heptane will work... not so sure about the soda haha
わが青春に悔なし
testsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 7:24pm
.... please  Can some body show a picture (photo) of "Heptane can" to see how it look like because i ask in some stores and no body know with that name.

thanks.

testsoft
Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 7:38pm
I can take some from my lab... if you lived in the usa id mail you 15mls or so for free,  but shipping to panama would cost too much:/
わが青春に悔なし
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 7:42pm
can u send me some
testsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 8:59pm
Thanks Ksix .... I appreciatte your effort.  But remember the polices to send volatil products by air mail can not be done is a regulations...  Let me tell you some .... I can�t order speed glue or regular TT glue from regular stores in USA.  We use here a solvent called Tolvene  with rubber cement but this product will not come any more and we are looking for substitute.
here is a picture of tolvene can....

Cry
testsoft
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by testsoft testsoft wrote:

.... please  Can some body show a picture (photo) of "Heptane can" to see how it look like because i ask in some stores and no body know with that name.

thanks.

testsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2007 at 9:08pm
Thanks genomicsK...  
Smile
testsoft
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 3:09pm
I know of a local lab that could test both Spinmax and Ecolo II. The stuff that you really want is no longer is Asti Turbo Booster. This chemical expanded the TOP SHEET and when used the speed glue...I'll just say that I was hard to beat.  I've taken it to a lab but they couldn't tell how much of each ingredient would be needed and/or if they were available in California.
MaoaMz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaoaMz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 7:15pm

would applying spinmax after every time you use your rubbers damage it?

Ebenholz V

FH: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: Tenergy 64 2.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 7:38pm
That depends on many factors.

- what type of rubber is it?
- how thick is the topsheet on your rubber?
- how often do you play?
- how clean is the table and floor you play on?
- probably some more questions along the same line...

Overdoing it can make the topsheet becoming very soft.  If it's on a sponge that is already on the softer side, then the whole thing can give you a very mushy feel when you hit with it.
MaoaMz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaoaMz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 8:59pm
on a hard tacky chinese rubber? what effect would spinmax have on them?

isit recommended to treat the rubber after every play.. i play 2 times per week. 3hrs each session.
Ebenholz V

FH: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: Tenergy 64 2.1
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 9:52pm
Ricardote, there is stuff you can use besides spinmax that really works well for cleaning and preparing your rubbers for storage.  Did you know that Rubber Rejuvenator is just a rubber cleaner that restores rubber to original elasticity.  You can go online and find an 11 oz. bottle for $6 usd.  Just cover the surface of your rubber with it.  Let it sit for about 10 seconds, then wipe off the remainder with some sort of lintless fabric.  Rubber rejuvenator is used for cleaning and restoring printer platens, so you can find this sort of item at office supply sites.  Spinmax doesnt come close to this value. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by MaoaMz MaoaMz wrote:

on a hard tacky chinese rubber? what effect would spinmax have on them?

isit recommended to treat the rubber after every play.. i play 2 times per week. 3hrs each session.

I'd suggest you apply spinmax only if you can't recover the tackiness after cleaning it with water or other types of rubber cleaner.
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2007 at 4:08am
Too much SM will prevent the ball from leaving the racket quickly if you're a hitter.
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2007 at 4:09am
I still have the free EE1 if anyone wants it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic