FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stellan training August/September in Salem, OR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stellan training August/September in Salem, OR
    Posted: 05/22/2010 at 2:36pm

Hi Everyone,

The Willamatte Table Tennis Club in Salem, Oregon is pleased to announce our next Stellan and Angie Bengtsson training camp for this summer.  Actually, we have two camps covering different rating ranges!

This is a special training opportunity with one of the great coaches of the world in a small group setting.  Stellan is the 1971 World Singles Champion whose coaching credentials include Waldner, Persson, Karlsson, Lindh, Maze, and other greats.  Stellan speaks excellent English, has incredible knowledge, and is truly a gifted teacher.  Here is what Sean O'Neill (himself a former top American player and excellent coach) has to say about training with Stellan:

"Stellan is by far the best coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with a number of the best Swedish and Chinese coaches of the last 30 years... I want to stress that if you are a serious player or coach you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime if you don't take advantage of this unique opportunity...  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."

Our camp provides an opportunity to learn from Stellan in a small group setting of 12 to 14 serious-minded players in an excellent playing facility.  Great lighting, top quality tables, and lots of space all help to make learning easier.  If you ever wanted to improve your game, this is your opporunity.

The first session is Wednesday, August 25 through Sunday, August 29, 2010. This camp has one rating group with a rating range of 1350 to 1800.

The second session is Thursday, September 2 through Monday, September 6, 2010.  Please note that Monday the 6th is Labor Day.  This camp has two rating groups: the lower group is 900 to 1350 while the upper group is 1800 to 2250.

For each session, we limit our total participation to a maximum of 14 players.  This gives the camps a greater feeling of personal attention.  In the case of the second session, there will be two simulaneous groups (lower and upper) and that means that each group will be limited to 6 to 8 players.

The fee for each camp is $500 with entry by August 1st.  Entries after August 1st will pay a late charge of $20 for a total of $520.

The camps are held in Salem, Oregon, which is a beautiful place to visit at that time of year.  Our facility is a large warehouse with excellent lighting, high ceilings, and lots of space, but (unfortunately) concrete floors.

Registration is online through our web site.  Please register at http://www.wtabletennis.org/stellanCampSummer2010/.

At our March camp, we ended up with a waiting list of people who applied after we were full.  If you don't want to end up on a waiting list, I recommend you register early.  If you're interested but not sure, you might want to email me just in case.

If you have questions, you can write to me directly at [email protected] or call me at 503-851-2941.  Let me add that Stellan and Angie really enjoy this camp because everyone has so much fun and learns so much.  If you love table tennis, this is a great way to spend a week.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Ben Bednarz
President, Willamette Table Tennis Club
Salem, OR
www.wtabletennis.org

P.S. Even if you can't come yourself, please spread the word.  You can forward this message or you download the PDF file from our web site at hand it out at your club.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 2:47pm
Count me in! I'm going to register right now. Also, I can vouch for the quality of the facility. It's a great place.

I hope to start coming up to Salem on the weekends and training/playing with you guys this summer. See you then, Ben.

P.S. Yule will likely be visiting in June or July, if you were interested in knowing.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 9:00pm

It would be great to have you with us.  See if you can pull in a few friends, too!

I think everyone in Salem would love to see Yule again -- he was very popular here.  Let me know when he's back in the States and likely to come, because if I make an announcement, I'm sure some people will come just to say hi to him.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2010 at 12:57am
Just wanted to add that at the end of the Saturday on the second camp (September 4th), we're going to have a BBQ.  It won't improve your game any, but it's a lot of fun!
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 1:30am

Now that the US Open is over and we've all had our fun, it's time to think about how you're going to do better next time.  What's better than some top notch training?

The good news is that we still have space, although it's not a lot of space.  These are *small* camps, and our last camp (March) ended up with a waiting list.

So sign up now and see you at the end of summer in Salem.

Slade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 8:21pm
I'll be there..
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 8:34pm
Have you already registered?  Of course, I have no way to link only names with real names, but it helps to know.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 9:10pm
I registered but didn't pay. If you haven't already, you may remove my name as I will not be attending.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 9:17pm
Ah!  In case you have figured out yet, I haven't figured out your real name yet.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2010 at 1:42am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Ah!  In case you have figured out yet, I haven't figured out your real name yet.

I would've thought the email correspondence we had, which contained my full name, would've been a clue. ;-) I'll PM you my name. Thanks.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I would've thought the email correspondence we had, which contained my full name, would've been a clue. ;-) I'll PM you my name. Thanks.

But it doesn't contain your screen name, right?  Anyway, I'm waiting on your PM.  Why are you dropping out?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

But it doesn't contain your screen name, right?  Anyway, I'm waiting on your PM.  Why are you dropping out?

he he he maybe we'll get another long rally between anton and benfb. Reserve your front row seat guys It might get fun in here LOL
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 2:22pm

OK, Fatt, then you explain to everyone why you haven't signed up for one of these camps?  You'd be a perfect candidate for your level and style of play.  Don't you want to start beating all those 2100's at Yong's club?

Hey, did I tell you that might Open Doubles partner at the US Open was French?  Really a great guy.  So now based on the two French guys I know, I have a high opinion of Frenchmen.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 2:28pm
My wife won't let me. Big smile 
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

My wife won't let me. Big smile 

What?? Did you tell her that table tennis is a life long passion and that attending a Stellan camp is a dream come true?  Did you offer to let her get that new sofa she wants if you can go?LOL
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 3:11pm
Our old sofa is so nice and well used; I am afraid she would never let me join her on any newer one.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2010 at 7:07pm
That still doesn't explain how she can not let you go.  Man, this is Stellan.  Tell her you'll buy less rubbers next year.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 12:50am

Time for another reminder.  We've still got space.  One thing that makes this camp special is that it's a small group setting, so you get more personal attention.

Also, Salem is a great place to bring the family at that time of year.  The coast to the west and the mountains to the east and the weather is usually very good.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 1:43am
Hi Everyone,

Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought I'd just add a post to last summer's thread.
The Willamette Table Tennis Club in Salem, Oregon is pleased to announce our next Stellan and Angie Bengtsson training camp for Summer 2011. This is a special training opportunity with one of the great coaches of the world in a small group setting. Stellan is the 1971 World Singles Champion whose coaching credentials include Waldner, Persson, Karlsson, Lindh, Maze, and other greats. Stellan speaks excellent English, has incredible knowledge, and is truly a gifted teacher.
Here is what Sean O'Neill (himself a former top American player and excellent coach) has to say about training with Stellan:
"Stellan is by far the best coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with a number of the best Swedish and Chinese coaches of the last 30 years... I want to stress that if you are a serious player or coach you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime if you don't take advantage of this unique opportunity... I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."

Our camp provides an opportunity to learn from Stellan in a small group setting of 12 to 14 serious-minded players in an excellent playing facility. Great lighting, top quality tables, professional floor mats for four of our tables, and lots of space all help to make learning easier. If you ever wanted to improve your game, this is your opportunity.
This summer we will have two camps run on consecutive weeks:
Session I: Wednesday August 24, 2011 through Sunday August 28, 2011
Lower Group Rating Range 900 to 1350.
Upper Group Rating Range 1800 to 2250.

Session II: Thursday September 1, 2011 through Monday September 5, 2011
Rating Range 1350 to 1800.
Each camp is limited to 14 players, so this is a very personal experience. THe first camp will be divided into two groups. The lower group will be for those rated 900-1350 and the upper group will be 1800-2250. The 14 player maximum is for both groups combined, so each group will end up about 6 to 8 players.

The fee for each camp is $500. This provides five days of training at six hours a day (the facility is open for longer hours for those who wish extra practice).

The camps are held in Salem, Oregon, which is a beautiful place to visit at that time of year. Our facility is a large warehouse with excellent lighting, high ceilings, and lots of space, and about half of our table on professional mats (the other half will be on concrete floors).

Registration is online through our web site. Please register at

At our last March camp, we filled up very quickly and ended up with a waiting list of people. If you don't want to end up on a waiting list, I recommend you register early. If you're interested but not sure, you might want to email me just in case.
If you have questions, you can write to me directly at [email protected] or call me at 503-851-2941. Let me add that Stellan and Angie really enjoy this camp because everyone has so much fun and learns so much. If you love table tennis, this is a great way to spend a week.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Ben Bednarz
President, Willamette Table Tennis Club
Salem, OR
www.wtabletennis.org

P.S. Even if you can't come yourself, please spread the word. You can forward this message or you download the PDF file from our web site at hand it out at your club. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2011 at 9:37pm

One of the most common questions (or comments) I hear when announcing the Stellan camps is the value of a group camp versus individual one-on-one training with a coach.  As it happens, the latest USA Table Tennis magazine just came up with an  article (page 30) by Coach Massimo Costantini where he discusses exactly this question.

Basically, Coach Costantini says that a coach can do a better job of coaching by observing a small group of players rather than actually just playing with one.  He argues in favor of small group coaching -- something which he also says is the preferred approach in Europe.  He presents two arguments in favor of small group coaching: first, that the coach can focus on observing the players without having to worry about interacting with them.  Second, that the coach often hits the ball too perfect, like playing a robot, which does not prepare the player for real match play.

Of course, this depends upon your coach being good enough to make lots of good observations, such as Costantini or Stellan. A skilled player (such as a 2300 player) who happens to give lessons might not have the coaching skills (playing skills and coaching skills being different things) to make as many useful observations.

Costantini goes on to describe small group coaching as 3 to 10 players for a single coach, although you can handle more with one or more assistant coaches.  I've never asked Stellan this question directly, but I know that he prefers at most 14 players in our camps and that he's assisted by his wife, Angie, as an assistant coach.  So I'd say the two men share the same idea on the ideal size of a small group.

Read the article if you take lessons or are considering a camp -- it's very enlightening.

Edited by benfb - 05/27/2011 at 9:42pm
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2011 at 9:40am

I was just wondering how much housing would cost.  Are there some good deals within walking distance?  Thanks.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by capablanca8 capablanca8 wrote:

I was just wondering how much housing would cost.  Are there some good deals within walking distance?  Thanks.

I think there is a Howard Johnson Inn within walking distance.  I believe the pricing is in the $55/night range.  Check www.hojo.com.  Also, sometimes you can just stay at the same hotel as someone else in the camp and get a ride with them.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2011 at 1:50pm
Just a reminder that Salem, Oregon is a great place to visit in August and September.  Take a short drive to the mountains or the coast or just enjoy the local scenery.  If you drink, this area is a hot spot for both vineyards and microbreweries; if you like gardens we're near the Oregon Gardens; if you like fresh fruit, we have a lot of fruit stands.

And, of course, we've got this awesome coaching comin to our terrific facility.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 11:09pm
I just realized I've got two Stellan threads (one about the camp and one about the discount). So here is the announcement I made in the other thread.  My apologies for any confusion and the duplication.

We are announcing some important changes to our upcoming Stellan camps for summer 2011. We have four major changes:

1. There were two camps scheduled but due to lack of enrollment in the second session, we are combining all players into the first session.

The dates of the first session are unchanged: Wednesday, August 24th through Sunday, August 28. The second session originally scheduled for Thursday, September 1st through Monday, September 5th, has been cancelled.

If you are interested in taking one of our Stellan camps, you should only look at Session I.

2. The Session I camp was originally divided into two groups: 900-1350 and 1800+. Now that we have only one session, the camp is divided as follows:

Group 1: 800-1300; Group 2: 13800-1700; Group 3: 1700+.

So we are now accepting the full range of rating for this session. Also, please note that we dropped the minimum rating from 900 to 800. That was done primarily to allow in youths who may be under-rated.

3. We are offering an option sixth day of training at extra cost.

Our normal camp is five full days for $500. Because a few people wanted to take both sessions, we are now offering a sixth day for an extra charge of $100. That means that you can either participate in the regular five day camp for $500 or go for a little more for $600 total.

The optional camp day is Monday, August 29th.

4. We previous announced a discount for new participants rated over 2000 or over 2100. We've expanded that by adjusting the threshold ratings lower: all new participants rated over 2000 qualify for a $100 discount and all new participants rated 1900-2000 qualify for a $50 discount. That's like getting either a half or a whole day of training free.

The details on the camp are here, but these pages haven't been adjusted to reflect the above changes:

http://www.wtabletennis.org/stellancampSummer2011/default.asp

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic