Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The poison of the backhand.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The poison of the backhand.
    Posted: 11/19/2010 at 10:25pm
I've recently made some notable improvements to my backhand technique. (It's still not "good", but it is "better".) What I've noticed is that backhand shots are often safer--BUT--much less likely to end the point. Because of this feeling of safety, I find myself covering much more of the table with my backhand than I used to. This is undesirable primarily because my forehand is my main "weapon". I like that. My backhand is more of a defensive shot. I like to think of myself as an aggressive, offensive player... but this new found tool has seduced me into being more passive. I don't like that.

It now takes 3 or 4 shots to end a point, when it used to take 1 or 2 when I was more dependent on my forehand. I've become complacent. I feel that I've traded power for security Embarrassed. My dilemma is this:

I like the increased safety and increased options of an improved backhand, but I really don't like the idea of becoming dependent on it.

I have two questions:

1) Have any of you had similar experiences?

2) What are some good drills that help to integrate the backhand and forehand? Things that might help me better understand when to be safe (with the BH) and when to attack (with the FH)?

Side note: My old coach was hesitant to teach me BH stuff until I was much, much better with my FH. He was afraid that I'd become too BH dependent and, subsequently, my footwork would get lazy. Like so many other things, I see the wisdom of his ways only too late.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 10:31pm
You need to develop a step around forehand after hitting backhands. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

You need to develop a step around forehand after hitting backhands. 

I used to do that obsessively, especially since my backhand used to be much worse than it is now. That is gratifying and effective, but it also occasionally opens up my forehand side too much. (Like many, I need better/faster footwork.)

What I'm asking for are some drills that might help me learn when to step around and when not to.

I have one idea for a good drill that I got from a Bengtsson seminar, but I'm looking for more.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 10:48pm
1.) Yes. Getting old and lazy sucks. But my backhand loop is sometimes better than my forehand and arguably more consistent. I do find myself stepping over to block with my backhand when I should be making a big move to a forehand but at the last second a little voice reminds me that's too much like work and I punk out. It happened several times tonight and I lost the point as a result. Good.. I should have lost it!

2.) For me the answer is loose some weight and start doing more cardio... it is the only thing that will sustain me for that style play.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I've recently made some notable improvements to my backhand technique. (It's still not "good", but it is "better".) What I've noticed is that backhand shots are often safer--BUT--much less likely to end the point. Because of this feeling of safety, I find myself covering much more of the table with my backhand than I used to. This is undesirable primarily because my forehand is my main "weapon". I like that. My backhand is more of a defensive shot. I like to think of myself as an aggressive, offensive player... but this new found tool has seduced me into being more passive. I don't like that.

It now takes 3 or 4 shots to end a point, when it used to take 1 or 2 when I was more dependent on my forehand. I've become complacent. I feel that I've traded power for security Embarrassed. My dilemma is this:

I like the increased safety and increased options of an improved backhand, but I really don't like the idea of becoming dependent on it.

I have two questions:

1) Have any of you had similar experiences?

2) What are some good drills that help to integrate the backhand and forehand? Things that might help me better understand when to be safe (with the BH) and when to attack (with the FH)?

Side note: My old coach was hesitant to teach me BH stuff until I was much, much better with my FH. He was afraid that I'd become too BH dependent and, subsequently, my footwork would get lazy. Like so many other things, I see the wisdom of his ways only too late.

Same happened to me to the point where my backhand is now my better shot, altho i'm very offensive with it, rather than passive. But i want to start training more again and working on my forehand footwork because it's a much more dangerous shot when i hit it.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 11:27pm
I would suggest to learn how to use your BH as a rallying tool if it is not a point winning weapon Anton. Practice doing drills where you vary the speed and spin of your BH, such as opening with a spinny loop, then countering/punching the next, and then changing direction. This will not only make your BH better in a wide range of situations, but will allow you to create ball patterns that start with your BH and set up a FH rally ending shot.
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 11:47pm
Anton,

You had several replies, but from reading the responses, it seems the answers are not what you're looking for. Hopefully my experience will be helpful.

1. When learning backhand, you always start with consistency shots - they are the ones that will immediately make you feel that you do not necessary have to move to force your forehand in the game, but can use strategy to bring your "weapon" into the rally. So you're on the right path.

2. When your backhand will begin getting steady, you'll immediately feel that you're not working or moving on the forehand side as you once used to - this is a perfectly described feeling of improvement. While you're not "liking" it because you're not winning points with "weapons", you're winning points on consistency and defense - its a good sign of improvement in your game. Again, you're on the right path.

3. Now that you can be solid or more or less stable on the backhand, you'll need to learn to transition - how to create the point so that you can use your forehand. This is where your backhand needs to be more than "stable". If your backhand is not strong enough ( or not fast enough, spinny enough, etc ), you will not be able to pin your opponent in order to step around - so its not a matter of footwork, its a matter of utilizing backhand as a "weapon". Soft backhands, allow your opponent to attack the ball and hence, if you step around during your control backhand, your opponent will have more time to notice your movement and attack the ball in the other direction. So pinning opponent in one spot is vital.

4. One thing to remember - strong backhand complements a strong forehand and makes forehand stronger. Gatien's coach Michel Gadal worked on Getien's forehand, but Gatien's true strength was always backhand - he lured his opponents to open to his backhand because it looked weaker, but that is when he developed an uber fast step around technique to step around backhand and force his forehand into the game. If you can't develop a stronger offensive backhand, you'll need to use placement to allow your forehand into the game. How do you do that? read my next bullet.

5. If you want to use your FH weapon, you need to attack the other person's forehand with your backhand - the response most likely will be a cross court shot, now you can counter that shot - risky but... depends on when you attack the forehand. Must pin the opponent before forcing him to move and use a forehand shot. Another option is attack the hip, most likely that would give you a slow response, with plenty of time to step around, but this one is more of a gamble because some people are better at close movements than redirects to forehand ( distance movement ), so you'll need to study your opponents to figure out which strategy works best.

6. Drills to practice - Falkenberg is the one that allows you to train both forehand and backhand in a continuous motion. The other is a pinning practice. Basically you stand as close to the table as you can, then you counter with BH with partner really fast for up to 2-3 shots. Then redirect to partner's forehand, he counters, and you attack that ball. Its not an easy drill but it will make you faster and better. Once you can counter close, you can train to take a step back on parntner's FH opening and power loop the ball with your FH.

Hope this helps. Carry on.
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2010 at 11:53pm
I forgot to mention one thing.

When I began working on my backhand, my forehand shot deteriorated in consistency, power, etc. No need to worry, its part of learning. In order not to loose your strengths on the forehand side, after you strokes get stable, you must involve forehand into the drills so that it keeps moving. Our minds are just not design to remember and do everything great, when your focus sh*ts to one particular body part, the other starts to "loose its memory".

Again, you're on the right path.
Back to table tennis...
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Anton,

You had several replies, but from reading the responses, it seems the answers are not what you're looking for. Hopefully my experience will be helpful.

1. When learning backhand, you always start with consistency shots - they are the ones that will immediately make you feel that you do not necessary have to move to force your forehand in the game, but can use strategy to bring your "weapon" into the rally. So you're on the right path.

2. When your backhand will begin getting steady, you'll immediately feel that you're not working or moving on the forehand side as you once used to - this is a perfectly described feeling of improvement. While you're not "liking" it because you're not winning points with "weapons", you're winning points on consistency and defense - its a good sign of improvement in your game. Again, you're on the right path.

3. Now that you can be solid or more or less stable on the backhand, you'll need to learn to transition - how to create the point so that you can use your forehand. This is where your backhand needs to be more than "stable". If your backhand is not strong enough ( or not fast enough, spinny enough, etc ), you will not be able to pin your opponent in order to step around - so its not a matter of footwork, its a matter of utilizing backhand as a "weapon". Soft backhands, allow your opponent to attack the ball and hence, if you step around during your control backhand, your opponent will have more time to notice your movement and attack the ball in the other direction. So pinning opponent in one spot is vital.

4. One thing to remember - strong backhand complements a strong forehand and makes forehand stronger. Gatien's coach Michel Gadal worked on Getien's forehand, but Gatien's true strength was always backhand - he lured his opponents to open to his backhand because it looked weaker, but that is when he developed an uber fast step around technique to step around backhand and force his forehand into the game. If you can't develop a stronger offensive backhand, you'll need to use placement to allow your forehand into the game. How do you do that? read my next bullet.

5. If you want to use your FH weapon, you need to attack the other person's forehand with your backhand - the response most likely will be a cross court shot, now you can counter that shot - risky but... depends on when you attack the forehand. Must pin the opponent before forcing him to move and use a forehand shot. Another option is attack the hip, most likely that would give you a slow response, with plenty of time to step around, but this one is more of a gamble because some people are better at close movements than redirects to forehand ( distance movement ), so you'll need to study your opponents to figure out which strategy works best.

6. Drills to practice - Falkenberg is the one that allows you to train both forehand and backhand in a continuous motion. The other is a pinning practice. Basically you stand as close to the table as you can, then you counter with BH with partner really fast for up to 2-3 shots. Then redirect to partner's forehand, he counters, and you attack that ball. Its not an easy drill but it will make you faster and better. Once you can counter close, you can train to take a step back on parntner's FH opening and power loop the ball with your FH.

Leshxa makes some good points but there is one thing that stands out that i don't agree with. In reference to number 5 - going to the forehand isn't always the best option, puts you in a lot more danger.
 You're better off making an "effort ball" (10% faster shot into their elbow) and be prepared to step for your forehand if it comes in range of your forehand, generally it will come to roughly the middle of the table which is the idea point in which to hit your forehand from.
It's less risky but also more effective, imho.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 12:55am
good ol' multiball will always be my answer lol. just plain topspin balls that are a bit slow (so you can get your footing right) and in a random manner with position will be a great drill. 
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 2:01am

When I began working on my backhand, my forehand shot deteriorated in consistency, power, etc. No need to worry, its part of learning. In order not to loose your strengths on the forehand side, after you strokes get stable, you must involve forehand into the drills so that it keeps moving. Our minds are just not design to remember and do everything great, when your focus sh*ts to one particular body part, the other starts to "loose its memory".

Leshxa, will you be my mentor?Wink

TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 3:01am
Perhaps you could try to have a more aggressive BH too! Go Kreanga style !!! LOL Personally Ive never had too much problems putting enough power in to kill on my BH. Maybe being short like Kreanga helps...

If you land a Kreanga its so satisfying that even if you lose the set it doesnt matter...

Many times with BH you are too close to the table, so you end up having to do a miniswing, so basically a powerblock, sometimes a little bit more. But you can also just step back a bit, then let rip like on a FH!

Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 3:31am
Leshxa: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not only did you say the words I wanted to hear, but you were very thorough and thoughtful. Excellent advice. It encouraged me while also giving me something to work on. I'm assuming you're a coach, and if not, you should be! Smile I'm sure I will come back to your post many times and reread it.

Vassily: Although it's not yet where I want it to be, my power is getting better with my backhand. However, I hesitate to focus too much on an "offensive" backhand like Kreanga's, simply because I have a pretty large forehand. I went to a Stellan Bengtsson seminar over the summer. Although he made me aware of many areas in which I need to improve, he also gave me a huge compliment. About my forehand, he said, "The best in the world don't hit much harder." (I hope that doesn't appear like I'm "bragging", but it's relevant to the story Embarrassed.) When I told him I wanted to work on a powerful backhand too, he said that's good but not to focus too much on it. Here's why:

To paraphrase, he said that having a big, powerful forehand and a big, powerful backhand as your two primary tools can be a drawback because in order to use them both you need more distance from the table. In creating that distance, you give up control of the table, which is not always ideal. He said that a smaller (but effective) backhand is better for connection balls, until you can work your forehand into the rally. And that was my concern: In trying to establish an effective, consistent backhand, I've started to become too dependent on it and have therefore started to ignore my main weapon--my forehand. But I think Leshxa has straightened me out.

But still, I agree: A big, nasty backhand "Kreanga" shot is satisfying! Smile

To everyone else: Thanks for your time and suggestions! Thumbs Up

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 4:45am
I agree that for most rallies a small backhand is better. But I think you shouldnt give up on killing people with your BH, i.e. dont relegate your BH to passivity. It is still possible to get quite good power from a smaller swing. If you hit into the ball more, the ball will travel quite fast while not having as much spin. The lack of spin makes it harder to land the shot, but if you are over the table and the ball is highish its not too bad.  So if you see a good chance, go for it! Even if you miss the opponent may be a bit scared of your BH, which is good. If not just play the consistent BH into some cunning place :P

Edited by Vassily - 11/20/2010 at 5:15am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 5:22am
Look some combinations bh-fh Schlager - they are very good.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 7:17am
Wow Leksha - that was amazing. Thank you.

For years, I've only used a passive (block, push, dropshot) backhand, and then I made a concerted effort (coaching, drilling) to develop an active backhand (rallying, attacking).

I've had a struggle similar to Anton's, having spent nearly 2 years developing a new backhand, only to find that it meant that my former FH game went "fallow".

When I use what I have learned, my BH keeps me in the point, often simply outlasting my opponent.

Off to play.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 7:45am
Where many players fall down with their b/hands, they don't use them as a directional tool, you can hit a b/hand with pinpoint accuracy because you are behind the ball when you contact it. The comments by Leshxa are exellent, many many players with seemingly fantastic f/hands actually play off and set their game off their b/hands, you just have to look, everyone only sees the last shot, look at the penultimate one more often and you will see the set up. Its easier to out position the opponent with a b/hand because its a more conservative stroke requiring less committment, and its also possible to see the ball/table opponent at once because everything is framed at point of contact infront of you, you just have to look. Directionally its far harder to read where a b/hand is going and its far easier to disguise where its going for you, untimately at top levels it allows a player to delay his intentions so the opponent can't read him. Never underate the good old b/hand.......
The Older I get, The better I was.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 8:05am
I have the same problem as Anton.. I had tried at least three times to integrate BH into my FH oriented style.. Each time my game took a dive that I lose to people I usually beat.. This is the hardest obstacle I had in learning TT.
After several failures, I finally figure it out. I over tried. I felt that since I have learned the BH I should try to squeeze it into my game.. This has not worked out..
So finally I do BH drills and train the BH on my warmups, but not over try to integrate it into my game when I play matches. I play my usual game but put more confidence from time to time on the BH. But still try to take the ball with my FH as much as I can... And the result is encouraging. I now have the confidence to open up from my BH wing (I used to step around to hit a FH, and risking being caught by a down the line block) and when I was caught out of position several times I hit a few miraculous BH shots that I don't even know I had.. LOL
N
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Anton,

Leshxa makes some good points but there is one thing that stands out that i don't agree with. In reference to number 5 - going to the forehand isn't always the best option, puts you in a lot more danger.
 You're better off making an "effort ball" (10% faster shot into their elbow) and be prepared to step for your forehand if it comes in range of your forehand, generally it will come to roughly the middle of the table which is the idea point in which to hit your forehand from.
It's less risky but also more effective, imho.

I'm not disagreeing, Fruitloop, You're right on. At the beginning stages, however, I would urge the player to use that tactic. Here is why.

Catching the elbow sounds easy, but it isn't. The elbow is a moving target. At lower levels, the players don't move their feet on the BH side, so you can catch them easier. On the higher levels, the elbow can become a dangerous side spin forehand very easily, no matter how much speed you have in your backhand, because those players learn to develop a quick step back and pivot with forehand, just like Gatien.

Plus, such tactic builds confidence and works on backhand placement - which I believe is one of the most difficult shots - due to the timing required to contact the ball.

Also, going directly into someone's forehand, your footwork will get a lot better since you'll have to respond to a strong shot and not a weak shot that will be made by the opponent if jammed. During the game your tactic to the elbow is probably a better one, during practice, it won't force you to use the footwork in the way you'll need to apply it in the game.
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

Leshxa, will you be my mentor?Wink

Saif, I'm far from being a mentor. I am a developing player just like everyone on this forum. I do have some insight since I don't just play the game. I keep trying to play it better - learning new things and developing new strengths.

Obviously, if you have a question, feel free to contact me. I'll be sure to respond.
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 11:39am

Leshxa: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not only did you say the words I wanted to hear, but you were very thorough and thoughtful. Excellent advice. It encouraged me while also giving me something to work on. I'm assuming you're a coach, and if not, you should be! Smile I'm sure I will come back to your post many times and reread it.

Vassily: Although it's not yet where I want it to be, my power is getting better with my backhand. However, I hesitate to focus too much on an "offensive" backhand like Kreanga's, simply because I have a pretty large forehand. I went to a Stellan Bengtsson seminar over the summer. Although he made me aware of many areas in which I need to improve, he also gave me a huge compliment. About my forehand, he said, "The best in the world don't hit much harder." (I hope that doesn't appear like I'm "bragging", but it's relevant to the story Embarrassed.) When I told him I wanted to work on a powerful backhand too, he said that's good but not to focus too much on it. Here's why:

To paraphrase, he said that having a big, powerful forehand and a big, powerful backhand as your two primary tools can be a drawback because in order to use them both you need more distance from the table. In creating that distance, you give up control of the table, which is not always ideal. He said that a smaller (but effective) backhand is better for connection balls, until you can work your forehand into the rally. And that was my concern: In trying to establish an effective, consistent backhand, I've started to become too dependent on it and have therefore started to ignore my main weapon--my forehand. But I think Leshxa has straightened me out.

To everyone else: Thanks for your time and suggestions! Thumbs Up

No, Anton I am not a coach! But I'm glad I was able to help.

Regarding your response to Vassily, don't rush your practice. Once you're stable and more confident in your strokes, and the longer you keep using them, you'll see that driving power into the ball is a lot simpler than it seemed. You know "need to learn to crawl before you walk". Its always good to have "gears" in your shots. Slow, spinny, fast, flat, etc. Having just two variations ( safe shot or weak shot, and power shot ) will limit your options in the game.

Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Where many players fall down with their b/hands, they don't use them as a directional tool, you can hit a b/hand with pinpoint accuracy because you are behind the ball when you contact it. The comments by Leshxa are exellent, many many players with seemingly fantastic f/hands actually play off and set their game off their b/hands, you just have to look, everyone only sees the last shot, look at the penultimate one more often and you will see the set up. Its easier to out position the opponent with a b/hand because its a more conservative stroke requiring less committment, and its also possible to see the ball/table opponent at once because everything is framed at point of contact infront of you, you just have to look. Directionally its far harder to read where a b/hand is going and its far easier to disguise where its going for you, untimately at top levels it allows a player to delay his intentions so the opponent can't read him. Never underate the good old b/hand.......

ClapClap

Wise words. I completely agree! Yes, nobody ever looks why a player scored the point and led up to it. In chess, that exactly what everyone analyzes, what kind of a move led to a checkmate. In table tennis, it gets missed to most viewers.

Clap
Back to table tennis...
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 12:03pm
you'd be surprised how much of your bh is going to be just blocks and small counters. that should be able to lead you up to 2000 (my goal) but after that point, then it gets crazy =(
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 12:52pm
There are some really excellent posts here! Some great advice. Thanks so much guys. I feel better about my situation and I have more focus on what I should be doing.

Thanks a bunch! Clap

friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 4:06pm

it would be nice to have big backhand and not to use it always, but to use it in rare occasions which call big BH to be used. I have a vision of FH oriented game with smaller BH for preparing FH attacks, but also with big BH deployed when needed, as a tactical weapon in specific situation. to conclude my thought: it's certainly not bad to have big BH. it might be only wrong to overuse it Big smile

and it seems to me that is the way newer top-class chinese players play. they have big BH's but they use them sparingly, while still relying on BH to prepare FH attack at first place. they are in nice synchro with stellan's words Big smile
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 4:08pm
Can you make a video ?
it would be more helpful to figure out the whole thing ... Wink

Edited by Pioneer - 11/20/2010 at 4:10pm
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by friendship friendship wrote:

it would be nice to have big backhand and not to use it always, but to use it in rare occasions which call big BH to be used. I have a vision of FH oriented game with smaller BH for preparing FH attacks, but also with big BH deployed when needed, as a tactical weapon in specific situation. to conclude my thought: it's certainly not bad to have big BH. it might be only wrong to overuse it Big smile

and it seems to me that is the way newer top-class chinese players play. they have big BH's but they use them sparingly, while still relying on BH to prepare FH attack at first place. they are in nice synchro with stellan's words Big smile

For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with all of the above. Thumbs Up

rand111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rand111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 8:05pm
Always try to use forehand if your forehand is more powerful. Use backhand when you don't have enough time to step around, or as a surprise down the line shot for close table loops. Most of the time I only use my backhand to flip and occasionally to loop kill from close table. If you only use backhand when you are forced to, your forehand will still be dominant.
mil View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 9:28pm
I totally agree with dragon kid.
I think you need to have a clear FH dominant game plan:

1. STAY FH-dominant WHEN SERVING - when you serve, you can attack almost every longer push return with your forehand. There is absolutely no need to change this winning pattern. When serving, stay forehand dominant and use the backhand only as a complimentary shot.

2. When receiving, you can not be as FH dominant as when serving so you will naturally play more backhands, use FH in the FH half of the table, BH in the BH half, run round once in a while as not to be too predictable.

3. DO NOT LEAVE THE TABLE TO YOUR OPPONENT - you do not want to play several BH-Topspins in a row, you would do more mistakes then points in this way, you want to make an opening BH topspin , a quick BH block/counter as a 2nd/3rd shot if necessary and attack a weak response with your FH. 

4. You need a rubber on your BH side which allows you to control the game. You do not want a catapult monster and it should not be too soft because of the block/counter game. I use CJ8000 Extreme Speed and it is great - I can play the touch shots - receiving short and pushing, it helps me to block/counter opponents spins and also allows me a topspin play.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2010 at 12:24am
Originally posted by mil mil wrote:

I totally agree with dragon kid.
I think you need to have a clear FH dominant game plan:

1. STAY FH-dominant WHEN SERVING - when you serve, you can attack almost every longer push return with your forehand. There is absolutely no need to change this winning pattern. When serving, stay forehand dominant and use the backhand only as a complimentary shot.

2. When receiving, you can not be as FH dominant as when serving so you will naturally play more backhands, use FH in the FH half of the table, BH in the BH half, run round once in a while as not to be too predictable.

3. DO NOT LEAVE THE TABLE TO YOUR OPPONENT - you do not want to play several BH-Topspins in a row, you would do more mistakes then points in this way, you want to make an opening BH topspin , a quick BH block/counter as a 2nd/3rd shot if necessary and attack a weak response with your FH. 

4. You need a rubber on your BH side which allows you to control the game. You do not want a catapult monster and it should not be too soft because of the block/counter game. I use CJ8000 Extreme Speed and it is great - I can play the touch shots - receiving short and pushing, it helps me to block/counter opponents spins and also allows me a topspin play.

No offense, but I completely disagree!

Chinese players, especially penholders know the importance of backhands - hence they developed RPB. The reason why they needed to develop it is because you cannot possibly cover everything with a forehand. They have developed amazing footwork and yet, that is still not enough.

I mean look at the way Samsonov outplayed Ryu Su Min in Polish Open. Exposing a weak backhand is simple or a not so strong one - don't attack it as the opening shot - it does NO GOOD! Attack it after you attack a strong wing - then you'll see how poor someone's backhand really is... Also, don't serve there, serve to forehand, make the opponent move, then attack the backhand.

I don't care how great someone's forehand is, they will have to have a backhand in order to progress in their development of the game. Otherwise, they will hit a plateau and won't advance their skill level any further. Please point me to a player on a Chinese team that does not have a backhand? NONE! is the answer. They all have them and their backhands are great! Their footwork is superb so you see them end the point with FH, but its the backhand that allows them to set up their rallying shot.

So in response to #1:

You're making assumptions that your opponent will always push to you where you can predict their push and it will be a long push, allowing to open. I disagree, you serve knowing where the response is MOST LIKELY will be, but then you'll need to open depending on the placement of the service return. Can't always rely on forehand.

Service return with using FH on FH side and BH on BH side is not a good advice. Look at how many responses from good players including Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Jun Mizutani, Timo Boll, Dmitri Ovtcharov, and many many more that use BH to return serves going to FH. Why do you think that is? I know the answer, but I'll let you try first...

Is not a good point at all. Forcing your forehand in the game because backhand is not good enough to stay in the counter rally on BH? Work on making your BH side stronger. There is no need to be afraid to pin the opponent. If your consistency is not there, work on it. As long as you're making the ball come back with some spin and pace, you're in control. You're not just giving up your momentum in the rally just because someone blocked your shot back to the BH side.

I make this mistake at times, step around when I think I can do more to the ball, but end up producing a weaker FH shot than I would produce with BH on the same stroke - stepping around is slower and forehand needs a backswing, backhand shot is ready to go just need a small side step, and proper contact.

Now again, I have no idea why discussion of rubbers was brought up. Who cares???? That's not what this post is about... rubbers play no role in strategy, tactic and footwork discussion.
Back to table tennis...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic