FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Top 10 angry moments in table tennis!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2012 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

...But there is definitely a double standard against TT.  Seeing tennis pros smash rackets, yell etc. doesn't bother the audience but TT players have to be polite, apologize for edge balls, etc.

TT players, too, are allowed to yell, aren't they? Profanity and racket abuse is penalized in both TT and tennis. Tennis players wave their rackets in apology when the ball hits the net and they win the point, just like TT players raisining a finger. An edge ball in TT is a lucky shot, hence the apology, whereas a shot on the lines in tennis is a good shot, hence no apology needed, just applause.

You are correct for the most part.  My comment is more directed towards the spectators.  Tennis fans consider McEnroe and Connors heroes with a tantrum.  If you have someone in TT that behave like that, they would have a different label.

Are you sure about that? I was around at the time and to me and most of my friends regarded McEnroe as an obnoxious, loud, brat that lived up to all the disagreeable stereotypes of a red neck American. At least to all us foreigners. He seemed to have been anointed as the favoured one as only he got away with his behaviour. I believe that the only reason he was tolerated is that he helped to bump up ratings in the USA. 
I don't remember watching (on TV) any Wimbledon match where he was the crowd favourite.
Yes, Connors had his moments and could be loud and he perfected the grunt, but he never got to being obnoxious which characterised McEnroe from his first televised match. But this is all from memory.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Speedplay wth is going on in that video??!Will go back and embed my vid sorry about that

Oh, the "how to tread" wasn't directed at you, it was a cry for help since I simnply can't embed my videos from youtube here. Sometimes I manage to create a hyperlink, but most of the times, I fail to do even that
The holy grail
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

You are correct for the most part.  My comment is more directed towards the spectators.  Tennis fans consider McEnroe and Connors heroes with a tantrum.  If you have someone in TT that behave like that, they would have a different label.

Are you sure about that? I was around at the time and to me and most of my friends regarded McEnroe as an obnoxious, loud, brat that lived up to all the disagreeable stereotypes of a red neck American. At least to all us foreigners. He seemed to have been anointed as the favoured one as only he got away with his behaviour. I believe that the only reason he was tolerated is that he helped to bump up ratings in the USA. 
I don't remember watching (on TV) any Wimbledon match where he was the crowd favourite.
Yes, Connors had his moments and could be loud and he perfected the grunt, but he never got to being obnoxious which characterised McEnroe from his first televised match. But this is all from memory.

I'm just a casual tennis fan.  But for the most part, it's easier to be an obnoxious jerk in lawn tennis than in table tennis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic