Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Closed bat on the takeback on backhand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the great feedback. Why pay a coach when I can get expert advice here for free. Smile Thanks guys.

BRS is correct in that the stroke breaks down in match play. I tend to get the timing of the bow down wrong in matches and this messes up the stroke. I also find my training partner can not block consistently when I do this stroke correctly. I did ask a coach about the timing issue and he was not keen on the bow down movement and closed bat angle and had no advice to my question. This resulted in my original question on this post. This stroke resulted from 5 lessons with brett clark.

The suggestion to time the whip closer to the ball could help this. Perhaps a faster bow down movement would give more time to adjust to the balls position. I am at the Australian open at present and I see the pros have a short sharp backhand stroke maybe due to lack of time.

I do find adding a hip rotation element allows a shorter stroke action although I am not sure why.
Thanks next level for the robot tips. The robot app does not have random functions but that is coming soon.

I find that there is a certain nice feeling when you time the bow up movement with the slight delay in back whip motion  that feels effortless in some way as my body is moving the arm up. I am trying to focus on having this feeling in training with a partner.

Edited by maurice101 - 07/11/2019 at 4:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic