Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valeri Kim vs. Anand Engineer - U2100 Final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robert Trudell View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valeri Kim vs. Anand Engineer - U2100 Final
    Posted: 01/03/2009 at 9:58pm

Valeri Kim vs. Anand Engineer

Under 2100 Rated Singles Final - US National Table Tennis Championships

http://www.outpost81.com/nationals08/u2100/

Match Video

--Rob
www.Outpost81.com

Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 3:13am
that's forum member Valerikim
Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 6:39pm

Robert, thanks for recording and posting this video.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 7:24pm
it's funny to hear the groupies andre and bernardo at the end as the shooting continues Big%20smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Valerikim Valerikim wrote:

It's a pleasure.

Recognize this guy?:

http://www.outpost81.com/nationals08/day0b/index_3.htm

--Rob
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 8:03pm
Ouch
Originally posted by Robert Trudell Robert Trudell wrote:

It's a pleasure.

Recognize this guy?:

--Rob

yep! that's valerikim; and our buddy nikita is in between.
I took 2 games in tournaments from both of them. i bet you know the ending ...Ouch
Ouch
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 8:15pm
nice vid

valeri, u playing richmond open this weekend?
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Robert Trudell Robert Trudell wrote:

It's a pleasure.

Recognize this guy?:

--Rob

Oh, didn't see these pictures. Thanks, Robert!
Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

nice vid

valeri, u playing richmond open this weekend?

Yes, of course I am :).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 8:34pm
> Oh, didn't see these pictures. Thanks, Robert!

I just found and posted them last night.

I was hoping I had some during the match.  Even though it was a day or 2 early, I was happy to see I had a couple pictures.

--Rob

77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 10:50pm
Just asking about USATT rating. I thought USATT rating of 2000 knows how to read spin and serve well. Why is it that serves are a bit high, only on one side of the table and mostly long. It could have been easily killed.  Plus the kid only knows one or two kind of stroke, too predictable and modesty aside I could have won over that kid without sweating. I will just push and block my way to victory. But basing on rating/skills table on the USATT website, my USATT rating would have been around 1600 to 1700, 1800 at most.
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:27am
This does not make any sense but I can explain why you said it:
a tt clip will always make the ball appear slower than it is and the player's technique worse.
I can assure you a usatt 1700 player will not do much against valerikim. Even USATT 1950 to 2050 will have serious trouble to get a game if he plays in a normal day.
I have made movies of myself and of friends and I and they always look MUCH WORSE that what I think I am or they are.
just my 2 cents.

infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 3:55am
People who estimate their USATT rating by watching other people's match videos without ever having watched their own match video tend to overestimate their rating by as much as 300-500 points.

Watching one's own match video for the first time will be a very humbling experience for most people.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 6:20am
Proper players. Terrible match... They are training good thats obvius but I think they are playing for 3-4 years at most. There was no varying the spin or placement, they just played...

Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 8:53am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

a tt clip will always make the ball appear slower than it is and the player's technique worse.
I can assure you a usatt 1700 player will not do much against valerikim. Even USATT 1950 to 2050 will have serious trouble to get a game if he plays in a normal day.
I have made movies of myself and of friends and I and they always look MUCH WORSE that what I think I am or they are.
just my 2 cents.

If Valerie Kim is the big guy, I can't really be sure I can win  but as for the Anand kid I am sure I can win by serving really short, pushing, feeding fast no spin balls balls to his forehand and blocking or killing the the ball to his backhand. Also the serves I can kill most of them since I can smash high long balls anywhere on the table depending on where my opponent is standing. I don't think the small kid is really at 2000 level.
Main:
Sunflex Pro

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 8:54am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

just my 2 cents.

I wholeheartedly agree with the statement about videos being worse than actual technique - every time I see myself playing in the videos, i want to barf Cry
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 9:17am
First, Val hits very hard.  His forehand loop is as fast as anyone less than, say, 2600.  It is true that he doesn't vary his spin much, mostly fast, fast, fast, but when you've got a bazooka, why bother with a fly swatter?

Second, Val's BH servers can be difficult to read.  This probably isn't an issue for his regular practice partners in Seattle, because you can get used to almost anyone's serves (again, unless they are pro or over 2600).  My take is that the kid had trouble reading the serves, so he didn't attack aggressively.  That can happen to anyone (including the pros) and when it does, it always makes you look worse.

Third, this being a final, I imagine there was a certain amount of nervousness involved.  That can make errors that you wouldn't  normally see.

Finally, videos do make us look a lot worse than we are.  Trust me, if you meet either of these opponents in a regular match, you'll wonder which train that you over (unless, of course, you're also 2100+).

It is said that to win an event at Nationals takes a skill level about 200 point higher than the event classification.  So where does that put Val?
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 9:29am
Originally posted by infinite_loop infinite_loop wrote:

People who estimate their USATT rating by watching other people's match videos without ever having watched their own match video tend to overestimate their rating by as much as 300-500 points.

Watching one's own match video for the first time will be a very humbling experience for most people.

I don't compare my skill basing on the video. I am basing my skill based on the USATT rating/skills table. My conclusions are based on the ball trajectory in the video and the ball trajectory when I play. The way I look at it, the balls during serves in the video are really way above the net and only going one part of the table plus they seem to misread a lot of spins on the ball. As for my serving skills, balls just barely grazes the net whether I serve long/short/backspin/topspin/sidespin and I usually have a lot of lets on my games. In fact when I have a really bad day I lose due to a lot of serves going into the net. Also, whenever I serve high balls, I dont hit it back, I give it as a bonus to my opponent and I can put balls anywhere on the table during my serves.
Main:
Sunflex Pro

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 10:22am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

It is true that he doesn't vary his spin much, mostly fast, fast, fast, but when you've got a bazooka, why bother with a fly swatter?

If you're serious than you know nothing about TT. Ermm
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Back at ya.

I was being melodramatic.  Even so, clear variation in speed and spin is a critical part of the game at all levels.  Even so, have you never played anyone who just loops so hard that it's hard to keep up?  At Nationals, the young girl in the women's finals plays all hard hits, and her shots aren't nearly as hard as Val's.

I've played Val, and for me, personally, I like it that he hits hard.  Still, I see a lot of other people who can't keep up.

Anyway, the whole discussion is kind of silly.  If someone says they can beat the two U2100 finalists from Nationals, then they had better be over 2100 or exlpain why they weren't in that final.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 1:49pm
I have watched Valeri's (I think he is the right person I have seen) game against a chopper from Texas - I think the boy's name is Sam. It was an interesting match. 

During the break between the games, I approached Valeri to find out the game count. With a don't care attitude (or little furious) he has told me 'You can't talk to me' now. Hmmm....

I think Valeri is serious about his game. That is good though.

I think Anand is the US Cadet team.
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 77g33k 77g33k wrote:

Originally posted by infinite_loop infinite_loop wrote:

I don't compare my skill basing on the video. I am basing my skill based on the USATT rating/skills table. My conclusions are based on the ball trajectory in the video and the ball trajectory when I play. The way I look at it, the balls during serves in the video are really way above the net and only going one part of the table plus they seem to misread a lot of spins on the ball. As for my serving skills, balls just barely grazes the net whether I serve long/short/backspin/topspin/sidespin and I usually have a lot of lets on my games. In fact when I have a really bad day I lose due to a lot of serves going into the net. Also, whenever I serve high balls, I dont hit it back, I give it as a bonus to my opponent and I can put balls anywhere on the table during my serves.

OK It looks like your estimation was based on objective analysis of consistency, quality of placement, ball trajectory, spin and variation. In that case, your estimation is likely to be more accurate.

My previous post was a general statement about people who usually go by their gut feel they get on watching the video, as compared to how they feel about their own game (that they haven't watched). That is when they overestimate their rating.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

During the break between the games, I approached Valeri to find out the game count. With a don't care attitude (or little furious) he has told me 'You can't talk to me' now. Hmmm....

I wonder why? mmmh...  Disapprove maybe because he was trying to stay focused and that it was not the good moment for him to start a relationship with a total stranger?

Just speculating here Big%20smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:50pm
no kidding...some people i know very well did the same to me like "excuse me can I concentrate here???"
I did not take offense because I knew the pressure was so high inside.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 3:20pm
I did not take that as a offense. He was right. He should be talking to only one coach not to me.

I was little lost there. I came in the middle of the game and when I have approached him to talk, I have thought the match was over and the other chopper boy has won - the boy was writing in the clip board, so I made that assumption wrongly.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Back at ya.

I was being melodramatic.  Even so, clear variation in speed and spin is a critical part of the game at all levels.  Even so, have you never played anyone who just loops so hard that it's hard to keep up?  At Nationals, the young girl in the women's finals plays all hard hits, and her shots aren't nearly as hard as Val's.

I've played Val, and for me, personally, I like it that he hits hard.  Still, I see a lot of other people who can't keep up.

Anyway, the whole discussion is kind of silly.  If someone says they can beat the two U2100 finalists from Nationals, then they had better be over 2100 or exlpain why they weren't in that final.

I'm not saying that Val is not looping hard enough, or they are not good enough to be at u2100 finals, or "I'm 1700-1800 but I can beat them"
I'm just saying they are training well but they need more experience. Without that experience, that game was just boring to me ok?

ps: I think I'm 2200-2400 and I've played with pro players (I guess they were 2800-3000) and yes when they try to do some kill, that 2.7gr tt ball feels like a baseball ball on my racket. But if I they keep killing those balls with the same speed and spin, than I can keep those balls on the table and believe me you can do it too... 
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but there were a couple of reasons for it. First of all, talking to anyone except your coach during the match is really cheating. I hate when people do this to me, so I avoid doing this even accidentally at all costs.

Secondly, I was leading 2-0 and thought I had the match in the pocket. That's when my opponent made a come back and I only won the match in the 5th set. I guess you tried to talk to me when he was writing the score after 3rd or 4th game, when I desperately tried to figure out what needs to be changed to get back in the game.

By the way, the chopper's name is Lu Chengda and during the tournament he was adjusted from 1900 to 2100.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 5:46pm

I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but there were a couple of reasons for it. First of all, talking to anyone except your coach during the match is really cheating. I hate when people do this to me, so I avoid doing this even accidentally at all costs.

Secondly, I was leading 2-0 and thought I had the match in the pocket. That's when my opponent made a come back and I only won the match in the 5th set. I guess you tried to talk to me when he was writing the score after 3rd or 4th game, when I desperately tried to figure out what needs to be changed to get back in the game.

By the way, the chopper's name is Lu Chengda and during the tournament he was adjusted from 1900 to 2100.

That is okay. It is cheating when you talk to anybody other than your coach. I'm sorry for disturbing you.

Wasn't that boy running around the whole area and chopping? I did doubt you would lose when you have slowed down in your attack.

Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 6:06pm
I will try to respond to all these allegations of me playing crappy against a weak opponent in this video :).

First of all, I agree with all those saying that this video is probably not fun to watch at all. Unless, you are me or Anand. I personally watched it already a dozen times (lots of moments in slow motion and rewinding a lot too).

Here's my vision on the flow of the game. I started the match as I always do. Short heavy underspin or short no-spin serves to the center or forehand, followed by a 3rd ball attack. After figuring out that I deal with a typical "developing kid" game (strong short game with good placement, but not much power in both opening and decisive shots), I decided to let Anand attack first, but from long and low heavy underspin. The plan was to block the 3rd ball to his right shoulder and then get points in counter rallies, but there were almost no rallies, because Anand couldn't read the spin on my serves (especially fast ones down the line or to his shoulder). He was also nervous and rushing a bit, very often going for a power loop instead of a slow and spinny opener. And the absence of rallies is what made this game so little fun to watch I guess.

There's also the absence of variety in all those short exchanges, but for this I am not taking the blame :). Why would I go for a different strategy if I was winning relatively easily and in such an important match?

In one thing, however, I think most posters are not entirely correct. There're 4 most important things in any player's arsenal. Serve, return of the serve, 3rd ball and 4th ball. 90% of all points at ALL levels are decided during these first 4 balls. And higher difference between player's levels always results in less rallies that get even to 4th ball. If you watch a game where Ma Long plays against somebody out of top 50, you will think that he really has no skills except for the serve and 3rd ball super powerfull attack that he doesn't even know how to vary the spin or placement. I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. If the match in this video was decided in the 5th set, there would probably be some entertaining rallies, aggressive returns of many serves and the whole style of the game changing few times.

And to support some posters, I can say that when I first watched the video of myself playing, I was horrified by the crappiness of my game :). But now I know that when Ma Long is watching videos of his matches he is also thinking very often "Why the hell did I do that? That was stupid. Ugh... uglyness" :).

TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 6:40pm
Look I know that kid not good enough for you and yes he makes a lot of mistakes. Just pushing and blocking does the job. But you were suffering with poor backhand pushes sometime and you didnt do anything about it. But you just cant rely on your oppenent. He was just nerveous and that situation could change in any minute. He served long and killed that third ball at the beginning of the 3th set. Maybe he was gonna make a comeback there?  You were winning but at the same time you were the passive guy out there and I think that was wrong.  You should vary the spin and do some placement every time you got a chance. Thats my idea and I dont want want to talk about more because you're taking it personaly(and thats just fine)

Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic