Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscaria, H3, T05 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria, H3, T05 review
    Posted: 12/25/2017 at 6:58pm
Going to do a typical review. Viscaria + H3(FH provincial oj sponge) + T05(BH) review. This is going to be a quick one as I know there's numerous view on this setup. English is not my first language so bare with me. 

Blade: Viscaria

I would rate the blade as the "slow" side as compare to my past all wood equipment (H656,NCTVII); The throw is low from this blade. Whatever the wood ply material before the carbon is some kind of softwood that's what I can tell. Far off the table it's superior compare to my allwood equipment. 

That said this blade is exception with fast returns(快带); minimal strength is needed and the return effect is fast and strong with a lot of feel. This is very beneficial on topspin to topspin lays. 

FH rubber: H3 provincial
At first the rubber is utter garbage. Glossy and hard. Ball will bounce right off with no feel what so ever. After I nonstop loop for a while and rub my hand against it until I see those "pip" the rubber property changes to something else. There's more dwell time and it feels great. 

BH rubber: T05
Topspin to topspin feels great. Pushing no spin to underspin needs some adjusting. In short game the dwell time on this rubber far exceeds h3. I have to adjust my push angle to make sure it doesn't goes to the net or pop up too high. A spiny low short push on service return is really difficult with t05. H3 is easy it's just a light touch right off the bounce. If I do the same thing with t05 the ball will stick to my racket and either it will go to the net if i try to add spin or pop up if I don't. The control in the short game area is kind of horrid compare to chinese rubber. 

I'm only pointing out the cons as the pros is already well known. So far I am very happy with this setup . It's a proven setup for chinese pros so no complaints. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 12/25/2017 at 6:58pm
Sponsored Links

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 9:54pm
I appreciate the review and glad that you are enjoying the setup, however, not for a moment do I believe that Chinese pros user anything closer to commercially available equipment. Except for this, thanks for the review.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 10:58pm
Rich, you really don't need to make that comment on every thread.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 11:10pm
I'm just wondering why all these reviews are always punctuated with this myth. "A proven setup for pros?" It is odd. It is very much a TT thing since I've never seen such efforts to link pro equipment to commercial equipment on any other forum I've ever been on. Yet here it is a constant tune. I would say I am bewildered.

Edited by richrf - 12/25/2017 at 11:12pm
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I'm just wondering why all these reviews are always punctuated with this myth. "A proven setup for pros?" It is odd. It is very much a TT thing since I've never seen such efforts to link pro equipment to commercial equipment on any other forum I've ever been on. Yet here it is a constant tune. I would say I am bewildered.

Tennis is very much the same way. Obviously few sports actually such variance in equipment you can use, so naturally in table tennis, tennis, and even squash, people gravitate toward what professionals use.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 3:14am
Getting sick of this guy...

I appreciate the review and glad that you are enjoying the setup, however, not for a moment do I believe that Chinese pros user anything closer to commercially available equipment.

I'm assuming you know this from first hand conversations with all the Chinese National Team? Or perhaps you had dinner with Timo Boll last night and discussed the equipment all the pros use just so you can come and threadjack more posts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAYbAiGhDQ

Or I guess you're going to say the Chinese Government had a gun to his head so he would fool all us forum dwellers into thinking that his equipment isn't really a top secret governemnt experiment, which they've crafted just so all their players can have world table tennis domination.

Great review, hunkeelin. I liked it. In fact, you've made me curious to try the exact same set up. I like to see how the pros equipment handles, also.
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:23am
purpletiesto, I suggest you read through this recent thread (starting at the bottom of page 1) and save yourself a big headache.

To answer your question directly though...

I have no idea where advanced players get their equipment, but judging from my experiences, it is not the same as the average Joe. As I said earlier, the only (I repeat only) good equipment I ever bought was through my high rated coaches in Chicago. I also bought one solid rubber online. The rest ended up in the trash heap. 
Lesson learned.

...no, he has no idea despite being told by people who do, the fact that he bought a blade he liked from a professional is the sole basis for his grand conclusion. It is what it is though, at the end of the day, people have to have a critical eye and see who's posts appear to be backed by facts and who looks like they know what they are talking about.

Edited by bard romance - 12/26/2017 at 9:24am
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:26am
This is proven false as everyone has custom blades from thickness to blade face size.. Also the dhs rubbers they use for backhand have anything from tenergy 05 sponge to different rubber sponges underneath. Ma long is good but they would never use a national h3 neo for backhand by itself. He needs extra power and the long v unless super beefed up by itself isn't the fastest blade. Also that's the same with fan zhendong everyone believed he used a stiga infinity vps v....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by HarmonicTT HarmonicTT wrote:

This is proven false as everyone has custom blades from thickness to blade face size.. Also the dhs rubbers they use for backhand have anything from tenergy 05 sponge to different rubber sponges underneath. Ma long is good but they would never use a national h3 neo for backhand by itself. He needs extra power and the long v unless super beefed up by itself isn't the fastest blade. Also that's the same with fan zhendong everyone believed he used a stiga infinity vps v....

...what?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by HarmonicTT HarmonicTT wrote:

Also that's the same with fan zhendong everyone believed he used a stiga infinity vps v....

no. everyone knows he use Viscaria with Infinity handle
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 1:28pm
For one I can attest that I have seen a couple of ex-provincial players in LA play with this exact setup, though they had bluesponge hurricane.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 2:18pm
Merry Christmas richf

Edited by ohwell - 12/26/2017 at 2:21pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

For one I can attest that I have seen a couple of ex-provincial players in LA play with this exact setup, though they had bluesponge hurricane.

Well that's a pretty big difference. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Yesterday I spoke with my nephew who plays quite a bit it NYC. He agreed with me about the c quality of online purchases and related to me he and his friends purchase their equipment from China and Japan at the brick and mortar retail stores when one of them take a trip there. They certainly noticed differences.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:21pm

Yesterday I spoke with my nephew who plays quite a bit it NYC. He agreed with me about the c quality of online purchases and related to me he and his friends purchase their equipment from China and Japan at the brick and mortar retail stores when one of them take a trip there. They certainly noticed differences.

And what is the rating level of your nephew?  2600?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

And what is the rating level of your nephew?  2600?

I forgot to add, I did get to hit with one of those setups, and I played worse with it than my regular set-up, as I don't have the racket head speed to play with hurricane, so it was just like any other hurricane to me :)
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:27pm

I thought that nothing of any quality was ever made in China according to your sources.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Tennis is very much the same way. Obviously few sports actually such variance in equipment you can use, so naturally in table tennis, tennis, and even squash, people gravitate toward what professionals use

I haven't been on a tennis forum in a while but I don't remember anyone ever suggesting that pros play with retail equipment. It was pretty much taken for granted that there was no parity. But then again, tennis was pretty straight forward. Go to the pro shop, borrow a few few rackets, and buy one that you like and it would last for years. Equipment discussion was very limited because it was inconsequential.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:46pm

Tennis is very much the same way. Obviously few sports actually such variance in equipment you can use, so naturally in table tennis, tennis, and even squash, people gravitate toward what professionals use

I haven't been on a tennis forum in a while but I don't remember anyone ever suggesting that pros play with retail equipment. It was pretty much taken for granted that there was no parity. But then again, tennis was pretty straight forward. Go to the pro shop, borrow a few few rackets, and buy one that you like and it would last for years. Equipment discussion was very limited because it was inconsequential.

Yeah, it was so inconsequential that you went to a pro shop to buy a racket.  And of course, we won't get into natural gut vs luxillon strings and tensions etc.
Cybershape Carbon
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

I thought that nothing of any quality was ever made in China according to your sources.

It's there, but you have to go to known channels that are responsive to known customers. It is a relationship. He offered to give me one of his blades he purchased in China which he said is really good. I'll look at it when I visit. It's really just like 1, 2, and there star balls. There are gradations and the pros get the best.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:51pm
Rich perhaps instead of using these general terms you keep throwing around such as "known channels" you can provide some specifics about what actually goes down?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:52pm

Yeah, it was so inconsequential that you went to a pro shop to buy a racket.  And of course, we won't get into natural gut vs luxillon strings and tensions etc.

I could get the same rackets at Sportmart, at a cheaper price, but I felt the pro shop offered the additional service of loaners so they deserved my business

Tension gut, and all of that other stuff was totally inconsequential. Never mattered to me or to anyone I played with. I just let the pro string it up to some average tension so it wouldn't break to quickly.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Rich perhaps instead of using these general terms you keep throwing around such as "known channels" you can provide some specifics about what actually goes down?

I told you. Players develop a relationship with a vendor and they are taken care of. I don't buy enough to make a difference, but in Chicago, the players would buy in large quantities from a vendor that they knew, (there were a few in Chicago) and the equipment was generally quite good. The only stuff I've ever had to throw out (literally) was stuff I bought online. In any case, it is absurd to create an equivalence between pro equipment and retail equipment so I am bewildered as to why this forum continues to nourish this idea.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:17pm

Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

I told you. Players develop a relationship with a vendor and they are taken care of. I don't buy enough to make a difference, but in Chicago, the players would buy in large quantities from a vendor that they knew, (there were a few in Chicago) and the equipment was generally quite good. The only stuff I've ever had to throw out (literally) was stuff I bought online. In any case, it is absurd to create an equivalence between pro equipment and retail equipment so I am bewildered as to why this forum continues to nourish this idea.

And what about the ones who don't? How do you account for them?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:17pm

I mean you can buy custom rackets from Head and Wilson now. And of course you can purchase custom blades. Will it ever be exactly the same, no? People like to argue over false advertising etc etc, but I doubt the difference is noticeable to an amateur, but we all have our preferences, and professionals getting custom equipment is very much a part of that. When you buy equipment you're taking a risk, and hoping that it will be the same each time. For professionals, that assurance that everything will be the same each time is probably more important than whatever special tunings/boostings/etc are used.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:21pm

I could get the same rackets at Sportmart, at a cheaper price, but I felt the pro shop offered the additional service of loaners so they deserved my business

Tension gut, and all of that other stuff was totally inconsequential. Never mattered to me or to anyone I played with. I just let the pro string it up to some average tension so it wouldn't break to quickly.

In other words, you were not a good enough player to tell the difference.  
Cybershape Carbon
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:25pm

It was of no matter. I can play with anything. Consistency is key.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:37pm

It was of no matter. I can play with anything. Consistency is key.

I can play with anything too.  But I wouldn't call any equipment a toy or piece of junk.  I would describe the exact properties and who it might or might not be suitable for.  And I would describe how it contrasted with what I currently used.  I am good enough to tell the difference in some contexts and not good enough in others.  

I mean, here is me winning matches with the exact same blade (but not the same rubbers) that you called a piece of junk.  I bought the blade and rubbers online (True Carbon + Tibhar Genius).  I ultimately decided that the blade was faster than ideal for me and that I would find time to grow into it if I could but that my level was easier to keep with OFF- blades until I had time to commit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jts1pl2V7Xc&index=5&list=PL1xHYZmEaJtRdy-PpkctWd7iu13lzy7jc

I don't know what your issues are but leave equipment evaluation to people who take the equipment aspect of this sport more seriously than you do.
Cybershape Carbon
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 5:43pm
I have no doubt that there are those who take equipment very seriously and will change it once again very shortly. As for me, a good piece of equipment lasts eight years. It is all about consistency.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 6:00pm

I have no doubt that there are those who take equipment very seriously and will change it once again very shortly. As for me, a good piece of equipment lasts eight years. It is all about consistency.

Using equipment for me is a hobby I enjoy. I am at a decent playing level and started learning 6 years ago. If you have kept your equipment for 8 years and played for s long time and have not come close to my playing level what is the conclusion? What has your consistency earned You? The right to bloviate about your incompetence?

Part of the reason I test stuff is that as I improve, I have a different notion of what might work.   But it is cheaper than buying cars. And I can tell people who want to buy stuff how it plays. Not quite as easy as calling it junk because I have no clue how to use it but if it were easy everyone would so it.
Cybershape Carbon
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 6:02pm
Hey, keep changing equipment as much as you want and your game requires. Costs me nothing and means nothing to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic