Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waldi & Appel in New York!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waldi & Appel in New York!!!
    Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:06pm
next month (June), on the 23rd.  go here for more info:

http://www.spinyc.com/champions.php
Sponsored Links

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:09pm
$75 for tickets?! Wowee! Confused
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 1:01pm
i just wonder how they're gonna see the ball, cuz it's so dark in there, i mean, it's a bar after all...
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 2:53pm
as for the ticket price, it kinda has to be high, cuz if it's too low, you'll have too many people there (in addition to the people who go there just to drink) and they don't have the space to handle that large a crowd.
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:29pm
Um tickets are $200 for seats and $75 for standing room, really?
For $200 you will see them do an exhibition  i.e. lob to smash at 50%, and try to throw in your typical tt humour made popular by Secretin and Surbek in the '70's.
You will also see them play with Wally Green and Michael Landers.
Definitely a once in a lifetime deal, but I think you will be left with a slightly anti-climatic feeling. At least you can drink away the pain of having just spent $200.

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:38pm
wally and michael??

all the good players that live in the ny area and that's the best they could find????   uh, with all due respect, of course...
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:45pm

I agree.....
Well there might be others too, but both those players play at Spin so you do the math.......
It just seems a little elitist if you ask me, as there are legitimate table tennis fans that live in NYC, that actually know who Waldner and Appelgren are that will not be able to afford to go. For me and my wife it will cost for standing, and I am old and don't want to stand, $150. I don't know, I might just watch some youtube of this table%20tennis tabletennis101 This is what you get http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz7Q6cy8gy8 7:27 AM May 5th via web. Taken from tabletennis101 twitter.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:49pm
anyhow, i've seen quite a few waldner exhibitions already--enough to not want to spend 200 or even 75 bucks...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 4:06pm
They should have just auctioned a match then 2 hour coaching session with Waldner and same thing with Appelgren. They'd have probably made more money.
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 4:13pm
that's a  great idea!
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 4:29pm
Good idea.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 6:58pm
Does anyone play in this club at SPIN???? Heard it's more like a dance club than a tt clubConfused

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 7:03pm
I was thinking of going, but I can't really stand that long And there isn't a large ceiling for Waldner to lob high.
SoWhySoSerious View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoWhySoSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by raflispet raflispet wrote:

Um tickets are $200 for seats and $75 for standing room, really?
For $200 you will see them do an exhibition  i.e. lob to smash at 50%, and try to throw in your typical tt humour made popular by Secretin and Surbek in the '70's.
You will also see them play with Wally Green and Michael Landers.
Definitely a once in a lifetime deal, but I think you will be left with a slightly anti-climatic feeling. At least you can drink away the pain of having just spent $200.

Wally Green...He's the man!He was so friendly at Polish Open in last year.He has been playing tt for like only couple years and he's around 30 yrs old.
http://www.youtube.com/ttCountenance

Don't lose yourself in table tennis, whatever it means to you.

lehua011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lehua011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 11:35pm
Well there might be others too, but both those players play at Spin so you do the math.......
It just seems a little elitist if you ask me, as there are legitimate table tennis fans that live in NYC, that actually know who Waldner and Appelgren are that will not be able to afford to go.
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 9:51pm
if you cant afford it so what idiots pay hundreds of dollars to see millionaires play basketball here in Canada
people pay quite a lot to see Hockey games stop the negative comments against table tennis promotion if you are broke ass keep it to yourself
sharkcard
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by takethat takethat wrote:

if you cant afford it so what idiots pay hundreds of dollars to see millionaires play basketball here in Canada
people pay quite a lot to see Hockey games stop the negative comments against table tennis promotion if you are broke ass keep it to yourself

If you think the ticket price is fair or not expensive at all for NYC just voice your opinion without calling people who disagree asses. They happen to be the majority here.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by takethat takethat wrote:

It's not a matter of can or cannot afford, it is about the cost vs. the return. It is not a good investment of time or money IMO
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 10:51pm
I think its a reasonable cost, music concerts are about the same money, except it is in a bar setting. But in the U.S we are accustomed to watching table tennis for free because it is a basically non-existent sport.
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 1:00am
In the US we are not  accustomed to watching table tennis at all.
That is why we can charge $200 to be a part of US table tennis history and watch two great players, one all time great, both who are way passed their prime, play a half assed BS exhibition, and still wipe the floor with the US's top prospects while drinking a martini at a black tie event that is sponsored by Ferrari.
Maybe introduce some mini bats too!

I would be the first in line to pay $200 to watch the final of an ITTF pro tour tournament, but I would rather watch the exhibition for free. Heck I'll by some drinks and still spend a pretty fortune at the bar.

People travel to Vegas to see Liza Minnelli for way more than $200. Let me know what it was like Kenney88 and Takethat, can't wait to hear all about it!
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 1:52am
hahahahahaha!!  great post!!

i actually saw a waldner exhibition a long time ago...  for free...
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 1:28pm
saw him twice once at his best i think all TT players should see him at least once before he hangs it up always
smooth as silk always cool against any type of player and finally nothing beats live and in person
sharkcard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic