FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is Super Cpen???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Super Cpen???
    Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:31pm
A good friend mentioned this to me yesterday & despite some semi-cursory searches (I forgot the site he referenced) I am coming up with nothing. I am still curious all the same; maybe even moreso.

Thanks in advance.
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Sponsored Links

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:34pm
It's a c-pen that will give you super table tennis power.... :))
You must not been checking mytt. The guy who invented it made a thread on it. Anton even bought one, i believe...
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:35pm
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:44pm
And the thread on it at the moment is on page 3 on the forum's equipment section. Can't get the link because I am on my mobile phone.. :)
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:45pm
Thanks guys! I think it's interesting. If you are going to employ new techniques they ~may~ be suited or better employed from a different structure. It goes without saying; though I will say it anyway, should it interfere, subsantially or not,  with the "classic" penhold devastating FH & serving possibilities, I would hesitate, if not abstain outright.  

Edited by Heimdallalso - 02/22/2011 at 4:20pm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:55pm
There is only one way to beat a SuperCPen player: get a blade made of Kryptonite. LOL

Edited by shaolinTT - 02/22/2011 at 3:55pm
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 4:50pm
Don't worry guys, the ITTF will ban it soon enough :)
GO MUSTANGS!
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 6:46pm
In short: The SuperCpen is a grip modification for the Chinese penhold grip that makes every stroke in the Cpen repertoire much easier and much stabler. If given a chance, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were shown to be the future of the Cpen grip. Big smile

If you want me to expound upon that then you'll have to wait for my formal review of the grip, which I should have completed in the next couple of weeks... perhaps with a video accompaniment, assuming I don't feel that I look too foolish. Wink

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/22/2011 at 6:47pm
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 6:49pm
I hope Wang Hao can try it out.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

I hope Wang Hao can try it out.

I would really like to see that... or Xu Xin! (My personal favorite. Smile) However, I doubt we'll see that in our lifetime. Tradition plays a strong role in most cultures--especially when "winning" of some sort is on the line (which is understandable).

For a more general example from some of the research literature: Human beings are more risk averse when loss is on the line and more risk-taking when gains are on the line. So what that means is, as long as their penhold players are winning then I doubt they'll be trying out new "technology" any time soon... even if that technology would make their lives better.

One of the biggest hopes I have for this grip is the newer generations of Cpen players. I don't want to go too much into this here (I'm saving something for my review), but I think that a lot of people (outside of China or Korea) are scared off by Cpen for two main reasons:

1) There aren't many coaches in other places to teach one the Cpen grip "properly".
2) The grip is "odd" or "awkward" for most people at first, in that it creates less intuitive angles than shakehand, and until you get it down well it feels very unstable.

I think the SuperCpen definitely addresses #2 extremely well. Once #2 is addressed, I think finding coaches for Cpen will be easier, since once it's easier to use there will be more people using it, and hence, probably more coaches. Smile

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 7:27pm
Anton!! you ej Heart
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

The grip is "odd" or "awkward" for most people at first, in that it creates less intuitive angles than shakehand, and until you get it down well it feels very unstable.

I'd have to say it feels odd and awkward when playing against a good cpen player when one is used to playing shakehand so often. Side spin backhand loops, flat-ish traditional block hits, and different services all make chinese penhold so unique.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 1:03am

The grip is "odd" or "awkward" for most people at first, in that it creates less intuitive angles than shakehand, and until you get it down well it feels very unstable.

I'd have to say it feels odd and awkward when playing against a good cpen player when one is used to playing shakehand so often. Side spin backhand loops, flat-ish traditional block hits, and different services all make chinese penhold so unique.

I absolutely agree. I have the good fortune of having three good Cpen players to play with/against, and I still get weirded out by some of their shots. One guy just joined our club so I'm still getting accustomed to his style. There are at least 3 or 4 points per game that the ball does the opposite of what I expect it would do based on his stroke. This bizarreness fascinates me and is just another thing that compelled me to switch grips permanently. Wacko  Smile

TT_haru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_haru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 1:23am

That's the beauty. When less and less much uses cpen or even jpen, it makes the remaining unique ...:)

cpen & jpen strength in wrist movement. All these wrist movement confuses people ... Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic