Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your low level testing ground?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cynicyclonian View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your low level testing ground?
    Posted: 08/19/2011 at 2:03pm
You know..when you discover a technique..and when you play with someone low level and it works..but in a tournament it fails..well..we can't get  achance to play a world class player everytime..but how do we test then that we discovered works?  

I switch ball sizes and try sandpaper, hardbat, etc...a universal technique imo should work on all of them..what do you guys think?
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 1:38pm
I don't understand the question.

What does trying out different technique have to do with playing with non-ITTF approved equipment?

Why would what you learn need to be at all relevant what works with 38mm balls or sandpaper?

As each opponent is different, and most of them seem prefer matches to deliberate practice, lately I've been engaged in the "what can I learn against this player" game.

For example, if I am playing someone who is a weaker player, but has a stronger FH than I do, I will deliberately attempt to match the quality and/or consistency of their forehand and try to develop blocks and counterhits that approximate the level of their ability.

Recently, one of my opponents developed a strong FH flick against no-spin and light underspin serves short to his FH. We play a few times a month, and this was a bit of a surprise to me, as it is above his level significantly, and I've seen few players under US1700 make the shot with the consistency of which he is capable. So rather than try and win the game, I decided to learn to anticipate the flick. After losing about 4 points in the match, I found I was able to block his crosscourt flicks, and then develop a counterhit off the same shot.

To test this, and make sure I don't "lose it", I plan to use more short serves to opponent FH, against a variety of players above my level.

These are friendly club matches, and likely the best time to try out new ideas. If I can get enough repetition in before the State Tournament, I hope to be able to save some points and avoid losing points, games and matches on the 3rd ball.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Cynicyclonian Cynicyclonian wrote:

You know..when you discover a technique..and when you play with someone low level and it works..but in a tournament it fails..well..we can't get  achance to play a world class player everytime..but how do we test then that we discovered works?  

I switch ball sizes and try sandpaper, hardbat, etc...a universal technique imo should work on all of them..what do you guys think?

Your testing scheme might apply to some tactics and things like footwork. But it wouldn't apply to many strokes or other racket techniques.

Maybe you can be more specific and give an example or two.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 4:27pm
from time to time it is very good and important to play with higher level players.

Some people rely on wrong equipment and play because they just play with low level players or friends. 

At the time one is playing with a good player it is easy to find out that sometimes one is not offensive because can not go with the footwork in time to have an off standing, or does not have control, etc. etc. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic