Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I find a coach?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BOLL_wlq_BigFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLL_wlq_BigFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I find a coach?
    Posted: 05/31/2007 at 7:35pm
Just curious, is anyone here from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada?  I would like to take some lessons.  I guess I can say that I'm somewhat like a beginner.  I heard that it's hard to find a coach that gives lessons to penholders.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 10:39pm
check out the local clubs in vancouver...i can't help you because i'm in toronto but you can most likely find a good coach for penhold.  i know a couple of good penhold coaches in the GTA though, too bad =P
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLL_wlq_BigFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2007 at 2:21am
Yea.  Do all coaches expect you to play so good that you'd join competitions?  Because, I just want to learn all the basics, that I could just walk into a table tennis club, and play anybody.  Are there private lessons, like one-on-one?  I'm only wanting to be a recreational player, nothing more, nothing less.
ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2007 at 2:49am
Frankly, many of the coaches I know don't really care if you want to compete in competitions unless you tell them or they can see that you have the motivation to be a skilled player.  Just find a penhold coach that suits your style and ask him/her.

For example, my coach is great because he understands what I want to be as a player and hes a great player and his coach was a chinese national team player(penhold).  He runs me through the hoops to get to whatever level I want to be and sets long and short term goals(be it technical, mental or competitive i.e. a certain rank, or beat a certain player that i previously couldn't beat).

One more thing....to go in to a tt club and play anyone....most clubs have some high level players lol.  
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLL_wlq_BigFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2007 at 4:11pm
I know... hahah... but, there are some community centers where there are some older players who aren't as crazy.  I don't have any friends who play tt, so, it would be nice for me if I could just go into a club and play anybody.  Instead, if I enter into one now, I'll just make myself look like a fool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLL_wlq_BigFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 7:38pm
I've seen in magazines that offer summer camps for table tennis.  Does anyone know if those are reliable?  It seems to me that it's safer to find an actual coach or training club instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic