Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Rubbers
    Posted: 05/15/2012 at 8:21pm
I am wondering if anyone can give me a rundown on the Xiom rubbers. 
If you can compare them to any Donic or Tibhar or Yasaka rubbers that would be great. 

* edit - I am looking for info on the Xiom rubbers. I am familiar with the Donic, Tibhar and Yasaka tensors so comparison with those is particularly useful. 

Edited by alphapong - 05/16/2012 at 1:29am
Sponsored Links

roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 10:40pm
Here's a few I have tried:

Donic:
- Acuda s1

Xiom:
- Vega Asia
- Vega Elite
- Vega Pro

Butterfly:
- Tenergy 05
- Tenergy 64
- SpinArt
- Bryce

I know you didn't ask for butterfly, but it seems to be a good brand to use for comparison since it's so widely used.  

The Donic Acuda s1 reminded me a lot of bryce with a softer sponge.  The topsheet isn't sticky and it feels like it needs to be boosted or glued to play correctly.  It would probably play well on an offensive blade, but it's on the slower side in my opinion.  The max sponge version of s1 felt a lot like my 1.7mm sheet of tenergy 05.  The topsheet also feels fairly sturdy, but I didn't play with it for as long as I probably should have.

All three of the Xiom rubbers I have tried are not subject to this problem of feeling like they need boosting.  The Xiom Vega series is very good in terms of blocking and flat hitting, but they all seem to be missing something which gives that extra 'umph' for a loop.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I find all three rubbers to be much less spinny than tenergys or even acuda s1.  I've found this particularly obvious when I try to slow loop against backspin.  One thing which is common among all three that I've tried is that the topsheet is extremely fragile.  That topsheet, although different among the different rubbers, always seems to crack on the edges lightning fast.  The topsheet seems very thin on the Vega series.  Xiom Vega Elite is the softest by far, and probably plays the best of the three I've tried.  If I couldn't afford tenergy, I'd be satisfied playing with Vega Elite, but I'd always prefer to cough up that extra $40 for tenergy 05 or 64.

Edited by roar - 05/15/2012 at 10:42pm
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 11:44pm
go with T05 on FH and T64 on BH. there is no other such rubber out yet that beats them! Close calls yes but no cigar!
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 12:19am
i have used tibhar aurus, rakza 7, most of the xiom rubbers vega pro,europe and asia, but not elite or china. i have also used omega iv europe and pro plus sigma pro and europe.

Xiom rubbers are durable and very good for the price. 
xiom is the fastest amongst the rubbers that i have used. i terms of spin the omega iv pro, europe, vega pro and europe are all excellent. the sigma pro and europe did not thrill me that much, the did have a nicer top sheet though.
i quite like using xiom as my BH rubber because they are so fast compare to other rubbers. i like the Rakza 7 over the Omega IV pro for FH but it's really so that i do not use xiom on both sides. i change bats all the time. sometimes i play Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta on my BH and xiom or Rakza 7 FH. it's not difficult to change from rakza 7 to xiom rubbers

Edited by silva7 - 07/27/2012 at 12:30am
RSM Special Platinum T64
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 12:53am
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

i have used tibhar aurus, rakza 7, most of the xiom rubbers vega pro,europe and asia, but not elite or china. i have also used omega iv europe and pro plus sigma pro and europe.

Xiom rubbers are durable and very good for the price. 
xiom is the fastest amongst the rubbers that i have used. i terms of spin the omega iv pro, europe, vega pro and europe are all excellent. the sigma pro and europe did not thrill me one bit, if anything i was disappointed...
i quite like using xiom as my BH rubber because they are so fast compare to other rubbers. i like the Rakza 7 over the Omega IV pro for FH but it's really so that i do not use xiom on both sides. i change bats all the time. sometimes i play Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta on my BH and xiom or Rakza 7 FH. it's not difficult to change from rakza 7 to xiom rubbers

sorry to be out of topic how do you find tibhar aurus? does it compete well with new gen rubbers?

Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

If you can compare them to any Donic or Tibhar or Yasaka rubbers that would be great. 

* edit - I am looking for info on the Xiom rubbers. I am familiar with the Donic, Tibhar and Yasaka tensors so comparison with those is particularly useful. 

tried Xiom vega pro, its good offensive rubber, high throw and good for loops and counter loops with reasonable control, spin and speed is enough for high level play

ive only tried acuda s2 and rakza 7, vega pro is faster than rakza and s2 spin lower than rakza and more or less the same with s2, definitely higher throw than rakza and s2, just my opinion though and im no expert in equipments nor a high level player, im sure others might view it differently

Edited by mikepong - 05/17/2012 at 12:59am
Viscaria

silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 6:22am
aurus is good but i do not like it as much as the others that i have tried... xiom and rakza are way better than aurus. when i first play with Aurus, it was great but then i started playing terribly with it. i am not sure why... i have since switched back to Xiom.
Aurus is very spiny but it is not fast like other German rubbers that i have used. 
RSM Special Platinum T64
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 7:32am

Hi,

Basically Xiom rubbers are categorized into 3 groups: Asia version, European version and Vegra Pro and black sponge version with built-in glue.

Asia version - hard and very fast rubber, heavy
European version - medium and fast rubber, medium weight
Vega Pro version or those with black sponge - soft and good control, medium light weight and not durable.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 8:39am
Vega Pro - "medium light weight"??? As compared to what?
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by jinlai jinlai wrote:

Hi,Basically Xiom rubbers are categorized into 3 groups: Asia version, European version and Vegra Pro and black sponge version with built-in glue.Asia version - hard and very fast rubber, heavyEuropean version - medium and fast rubber, medium weightVega Pro version or those with black sponge - soft and good control, medium light weight and not durable.

how many months before you change a sheet of vega pro?
Viscaria

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 8:59am

aurus is good but i do not like it as much as the others that i have tried... xiom and rakza are way better than aurus. when i first play with Aurus, it was great but then i started playing terribly with it. i am not sure why... i have since switched back to Xiom.
Aurus is very spiny but it is not fast like other German rubbers that i have used. 

would you say that aurus is a durable rubber? How long does it last on an average?
Viscaria

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

Hi,Basically Xiom rubbers are categorized into 3 groups: Asia version, European version and Vegra Pro and black sponge version with built-in glue.Asia version - hard and very fast rubber, heavyEuropean version - medium and fast rubber, medium weightVega Pro version or those with black sponge - soft and good control, medium light weight and not durable.

I used Vega Pro for almost 2 years. Changed rubber sheets every 6-7 months (playing 2-3 times a week).
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

I used Vega Pro for almost 2 years. Changed rubber sheets every 6-7 months (playing 2-3 times a week).

thats good to hear
Viscaria

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 11:46am
Been using Omega IV Asia for about 2 months now - the topsheet is slowly wearing out but still plays really good, no other durability issues.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
jmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Been using Omega IV Asia for about 2 months now - the topsheet is slowly wearing out but still plays really good, no other durability issues.

How you can compares Omega 4 Asia  with Vega Asia? Is Omega 4 asia is better than Vega Asia?

FH :Rakza 7
BH : Donic Barracuda
Blade : Avalox P700

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 3:50pm
At my club, Xiom users (Omega 4 Asia, Vega Asia and Omega 4 Pro) are getting bubbles in 1 month..
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 4:35pm
My Vega Asia I have been using for about 5 months!  No bubbles, hasn't lost tackiness.  I play 4 times a week and it's still going.  Very good rubber, I'd say.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 4:57pm
Different levels, different durability. Xiom rubbers are very good but most of german made rubbers last less compared to japanese made..
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 7:30pm
OK, I think I understand how the sponges differ. How about the topsheets? Can anyone compare Vega, Omega and Sigma topsheets and what Donic, Tibhar and Yasaka topsheets are they similar to?

When I asked Xiom for information, they provided me with a chart that compared all their rubbers to the different Tenergies. It was not very useful. Ermm
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 9:27pm
hey Mikepong i cannot tell you the durability of Aurus sorry because i only used it for 2 weeks.... it was still good after 10 hours of playing. 
RSM Special Platinum T64
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 10:04am

Asia version - hard and very fast rubber, heavy
European version - medium and fast rubber, medium weight
Vega Pro version or those with black sponge - soft and good control, medium light weight and not durable.

I didn't play with Asia and European versions but I found Vega Pro very heavy. I compare to Acuda S2 that I used before got Vega Pro
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 12:18pm
I found that the Vega series has better dwell and control than the Omega 4 series.  I only tried the Omega4 Europe, but I didn't like it when comparing to Vega Europe, Elite or Pro.

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

At my club, Xiom users (Omega 4 Asia, Vega Asia and Omega 4 Pro) are getting bubbles in 1 month..

How often to they play in a week?
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 2:38pm
I've used Vega Elite, Europe and Pro and have yet to develop a bubble.  I didn't use Omega4 Euro long enough to find out.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

How often to they play in a week?

About 10 hrs a week including training and matches.

silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 11:47pm
bubbles?? lol
do these players 'slap' the ball or can they loop???
bubbles in the rubber is usually associated with players who cannot loop, instead they slap the ball....
i quite like Vega Pro and Europe. for some reason i have stopped using them.
the rubber structure in Omega IV and Sigma is slightly denser and harder than vega's top sheet.
more durable than Donic S2 and Rakza 7.

RSM Special Platinum T64
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 1:18am
I have tested:

Donic F3 Bigslam
Xiom Omega 3 Euro
Xiom Vega Euro
Xiom Omega 4 Pro
Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

I found R7S very similar to the Vega Euro but Vega slightly springer than R7S. R7S is probably the best backhand rubber I tested yet. Fantastic control and fast enough to kill points. Very good spin also. I have it on a Photino. Vega Euro was not fast enough on forehand of this blade so I put an Omega 4 Pro which I found a bit too fast. As I have an uncut sheet of Vega Pro to test, it might be exactly what i want in this combo.
My other blade is a Darker Speed 90 (hinoki single ply). Here the story is completely different. Due to hinoki spring nature I had to choose slower rubbers. F3 Bigslam in the backhand of this blade is probably most fun I played with. On forehand Vega Euro proved to be too spring, Omega 3 Euro fitted perfectly, giving amazing control and speed.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 1:39am
So far Vega is the best series in terms of durability and playability. Omega is faster.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 7:30am

bubbles?? lol
bubbles in the rubber is usually associated with players who cannot loop, instead they slap the ball....
i quite like Vega Pro and Europe. for some reason i have stopped using them.
the rubber structure in Omega IV and Sigma is slightly denser and harder than vega's top sheet.
more durable than Donic S2 and Rakza 7.

Of course they can loop, loop and drive very strong.. We are talking about table tennis not ping pong. That's why they get bubbles.

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 8:45pm

bubbles?? lol

When players have experienced topsheet bubbles in our club it has always been the result of counter looping.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic