Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (YEO) Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (YEO) Review
    Posted: 12/16/2007 at 3:00am
I got this baby this Tuesday, and now have played with it for two nights, so here's what I think of it so far, keep in mind that this is based on my experience playing my very offensive third ball attack style of game.  And as I was told by many people, I'm able to generate very fast arm speed which can cause differences for others in the categories listed below.
Speed:  It does not lose to Ma Lin Carbon, if possible, might even be a little faster when loop driving; I was very pleasantly surprised to find that.
Weight:  Quite a bit lighter than my previous setup, I'm usually more used to heavier sets, but it's in the agreeable not too light range.  Don't have a scale, so can't tell you the exact weight, but consider a mlc with tg2 with about 10 layers of normal glue, and pro xt with about 7 layers (no I didn't do it to enhance performance, the rubbers just transfered between a few blades, and i kept peeling them by scraping the table when pushing), and now think noticeably lighter than that, but not much.
Feel:  This is the reason I will be making the switch from mlc to yeo.  Before actually playing with it, I thought it had a rather soft and springy feel by bouncing the ball on it, and sorta just playing around with it.  Once I actually got on the court, it feels solid with a bit of springiness, good initial impact vibration with virtually no disruptive aftershocks (pretty much the only knock I have against the mlc, cuz of its tiny bit of sorta carbon-y shatter-y post impact feel).  The bottom-out feel when I loop drive is a lot less frequent than the mlc, which I would attribute as neither a positive nor a negative, just something I'll have to get used to.  My current setup's feel reminds me a bit of Darker Jspeed 70 10mm with Mark V 2.0mm back when I was messing around with a friend's JPens.  In short, I love the feel.
Control:  Can't really say much yet as I'm far from getting used to it, but it does have a little higher throw than mlc which makes controlled transitional loops easier for me.  Close to table blocking seems pretty good as well, there's less flex than mlc, which is a good thing for my play;  but since the areas sanded down for comfort is different from blade to blade, and my hand is still more used to mlc, I'm losing just about 1 more point per match blocking compared to mlc.
Can't think of anymore to say other than those above, I'll add onto it when a light bulb appears in my head, or when people ask.
Per O! Ju Qian's request, more detailed pictures showing the plies (used dad's more professional/manual camera, didn't know how to make the adjustments, so this is as detailed as I could shoot):

BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
Sponsored Links

gene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 3:25am
looks good. thanks for the review.
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 4:23am
blade looks very similar to allround 40. thanks for the pictures rachie85. i am pretty sure you will like the feel of all wood. Forehand power all the way.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 8:32am
Where did you get it from? I'm interested in one  now :P
Potato Face
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:55am
had a relative bring it back from China, others have been saying that you might be able to get it from saga-sport; or if O! Ju Qian's play experience with his Allround 40 is similar to what i have with my YEO, then getting All40 would be a lot easier:  iruiru
kei123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kei123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 2:35pm
nice racket ,and nice laptop.
I really wannt give it a try.
somebody actually gave a call to the japanese company( i think it is iriru?) for the YEO. and they said they just rename the all 40 to YEO. and since they are the same blade, the keep the price the same.

but that's wut i heard. I m not sure tat is ture or not.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 4:50pm

soon it will be available to non-asian market also in shakehand. according to the yasaka newsletter. I can't wait to try it out!

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 4:52pm
I guess that'll be my first Yasaka blade purchase. shouldn't really break my bank
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
speed_king View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 5:40pm
Very nice blade!
speed_king View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 5:41pm
How much you paid for YEO?
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 11:25pm
not sure, relative got it for me as a xmas present from china.  if she went with my price guide, it shouldn't be more than 60 usd.
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 4:17pm
reachie85 how is the quality of blue whale 2?
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 4:28pm
n8stee

just fyi

the post you replied to was posted in march of 2008

:)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 8:31pm
you know its one of my favorite blades. its fast and its nice for looping. goes well even with  neo h3 on the fh. similar blade to this is the adidas avenger 5
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

n8stee

just fyi

the post you replied to was posted in march of 2008

:)
maybe it will bring ol' reachie back... looks like he hasn't posted in over 4 years
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 8:44pm
So, I find this  version (shakehand, flared) as great for blocking and counterdriving, but for looping ... I don't know, it must be my technique because the shakehand YEO seems a little too stiff when I loop. I had also tried Vega Japan on it, same story...

Edited by JacekGM - 10/23/2013 at 9:03pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 10:00pm
Sorry I'm new here
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 4:06am
jack it is stiff, but with a chinese rubber like neo h3 i never had any problems looping
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 1:28pm
I have changed my setup to Stiga Calibra LT Spin on FH and Xiom Vega Japan on BH .

This has changed my way of playing with this blade for the better but practice is so important. 
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 1:36pm
The shakehand yeo is not a loopers bade, it's too stiff and too fast. It's a great blade that's certain, it's just not very happy when looping. Very hard to get any worthwhile throw and spin out of it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic