Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young Coach vs Old Coach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Coach vs Old Coach
    Posted: 10/06/2010 at 2:32pm
If you had the choice to pick between a young coach (who actively plays) and an old school coach (was pretty good in her/his youth, but doesn't play anymore), who would you pick? Assume both coaches are Chinese coaches.

What would be the cons and pros between them? What things would you consider in your critical choice?

Try to keep variables of the coach constant for the sake of this discussion (ie.assume you would have to pay the same amount for both)

----

My thoughts:

- I think the young coach could teach you how to win matches and increase your rating faster (which is unimportant to me at the moment - but just something to think about). But after a certain point I think as a player you would hit a plateau, which will be difficult to overcome.

-On the other hand, I feel that an old coach, especially if Chinese would focus more on teaching the fundamentals (since they are old school) and it would take longer for this player to get better and thus also longer to reach a certain rating. But, in the long run because this students basics are much stronger, this student's plateau would be much higher and will probably become a better player than the one from the young coach.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing key things and I'm assuming too much.

Therefore, I would like to hear your opinions.

Acoustic
BH: T64
FH: BW2
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 2:53pm
In China, I had three coaches. One was 17 years old. The others were provincial players in thier early 20s. All three used the lessons they were taught to teach me. Thier teachers were mostly in thier 20 and 30s.

The 17 year old had perfect form but the older coaches showed me more about stratigy. It was the experience that gave them the edge.

There was another coach that I never used. He was a former champion but played a flat hitting style. He would coach the modern game but I could tell, better to use the young players. I watched him coach others and do not think he was a good coach for learning the modern, double winged looping game.  The older guy owned the club.

The younger coaches got training 5 or 6 times a week, about 8 hours a day. They are pros, even the 17 year old. One day shortly after I met him, I asked him what he did, go to school or work a job? He gave a serious look, thought a moment and said, " I play ping pong, thats what I do".
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 3:12pm
I prefer a younger coach since younger coaches can teach you modern techniques.  From my experience, some old coaches seem to be outdated on technique.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 4:28pm
There are good and bad examples of both.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

I prefer a younger coach since younger coaches can teach you modern techniques.  From my experience, some old coaches seem to be outdated on technique.

define younger and old coaches?
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by pipigrande pipigrande wrote:

If you had the choice to pick between a young coach (who actively plays) and an old school coach (was pretty good in her/his youth, but doesn't play anymore), who would you pick? Assume both coaches are Chinese coaches.

What would be the cons and pros between them? What things would you consider in your critical choice?

Try to keep variables of the coach constant for the sake of this discussion (ie.assume you would have to pay the same amount for both)

----

My thoughts:

- I think the young coach could teach you how to win matches and increase your rating faster (which is unimportant to me at the moment - but just something to think about). But after a certain point I think as a player you would hit a plateau, which will be difficult to overcome.

-On the other hand, I feel that an old coach, especially if Chinese would focus more on teaching the fundamentals (since they are old school) and it would take longer for this player to get better and thus also longer to reach a certain rating. But, in the long run because this students basics are much stronger, this student's plateau would be much higher and will probably become a better player than the one from the young coach.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing key things and I'm assuming too much.

Therefore, I would like to hear your opinions.

Couple of points I'll make...

1)  I'm currently being coached by a former U.S. #1 player of Chinese descent who also played on the Chinese National Team from 1977 to 1987 and coached the U.S. national and olympic teams.  My coach is definitely taking his time in coaching me on all the fundamentals. 
I disagree with your logic that it will take longer for me to get better and to reach a certain rating because you forget one thing... me getting better is not solely dependent on my coaching... it's also dependent on how I PRACTICE what my coach has taught me... practicing my drills by myself and with others who are better than me... that key thing will play a huge role in the rate that I get better.

2)  Regarding getting coached by a younger coach... one thing you're not taking into account is who coached the younger coach.  If the younger coach was coached by either an older coach or even another younger coach who advents the "old school approach" as you called it, then the younger coach is going to teach the same way as the older coach in your scenario.

Bottom line here is you can't go by stereotypes... if you're looking at coaching then you need to examine the coaching styles of each coach, irregardless of their age.

Personally I prefer an older coach only because from an experience standpoint, they most likely would have had a much longer career than a younger coach, so I would have the benefit of learning from their experiences.

Hope this helps!  Smile

Navin
Hollywood Movie Actor - https://www.imdb.me/Navin-P-Kumar
USA Para Table Tennis Player & 1st w/ Parkinson's Disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHC9Bj64bg
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Yes, I have personally experienced both kinds.  Another thing to consider is that if you are not that young yourself, a somewhat older coach may have a more realistic approach to what you can actually do to make yourself better given some limitations.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:25pm
Young and old,,,how to define. I am 67 and am always being checked at senior events for my age. Usually by people I beat that are in their 50's. "He can't be 50!". Hear it all the time.  So old is not something you can define. Coaches or players. I chose the "older coaches" in their 20s over the 17 year old because of their experience. The owner used "old methods" and did not teach what I wanted to know. He was about 40.  And yes, the methods a coach uses will reflect the methods they were taught with. Smile
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:27pm

true, but if the younger guy is still competing in tournaments, then he's not gonna teach you much of anything, cuz it's not in his best interests to show you how to beat him.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:28pm
I find that coaches are very up to date with the game, so old or young generation of coach does not make a difference.  What I don't like is lazy coach Smile.
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

true, but if the younger guy is still competing in tournaments, then he's not gonna teach you much of anything, cuz it's not in his best interests to show you how to beat him.

If that's the case and the student realizes that the younger guy isn't teaching them much of anything then I'm sure the student will not continue to pay that coach for lessons... in that case it would be in the coach's best interests to teach the student properly.  Money talks.  Big smile
Hollywood Movie Actor - https://www.imdb.me/Navin-P-Kumar
USA Para Table Tennis Player & 1st w/ Parkinson's Disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHC9Bj64bg
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

Good coaches usually do not have to worry about that, it's take a life time and a lot of dedication to catch them Smile.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Young and old,,,how to define. I am 67 and am always being checked at senior events for my age. Usually by people I beat that are in their 50's. "He can't be 50!". Hear it all the time.  So old is not something you can define. Coaches or players. I chose the "older coaches" in their 20s over the 17 year old because of their experience. The owner used "old methods" and did not teach what I wanted to know. He was about 40.  And yes, the methods a coach uses will reflect the methods they were taught with. Smile

Let me give you an example of something I learned from Perry Schwartzberg, once a US team member, he is 50, still plays 2400+.  For awhile I was playing with him a couple of times a week.  He suggested that I should consider  serving and returning serve from just a little bit closer to the center of the table, say 8-10 inches or so, which is something he does himself.  Also, to really develop backhand openings which a twenty year old might step around and hit with a forehand, also something he does himself with great effectiveness and deceptiveness.  I have worked with him a lot on how to disguise direction. All of this is an accommodation to some loss of explosiveness that is natural and unavoidable in a person in middle age compared to really athletic players in the twenties and thirties.  It helps one maintain one's balance in attack. It works.  (He is chock full of useful stuff like that).  The first thing a young and pretty Chinese coach wanted to do was move me back over to the left, change my grip, etc. etc..  It never occurred to her for a second that there might be cogent reasons for some players to not do that.  (I wasn't actually looking for help from her, but she was, I think I mentioned, young and pretty and fun to play matches with).  I honestly do not think many younger coaches can see or think that deeply.  Certainly not one in their teens.  Hookshot maybe you are a freak of nature, I have no doubt you are quite remarkable.  I tried one of the exercises you mentioned on another thread somewhere.  It was a mother%%%%.  I am in 53, a guy I beat last week is rated 2217, I am in pretty good shape, but I can't move like a twenty year old and my tactics have to account for that or they are not realistic. 

Too many coaches spend too much time trying to change the way you move your arm when you hit the damned ball.  Chances are most of the players on this forum especially regular posters, are pretty well grooved in their stroke, with good points and bad points, but pretty much formed as it is.  Chances are remodeling a forehand loop to make it "more Chinese" or more "up to date" or whatever is not the area that is not going to help you win more matches.  Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't work on your strokes, but you need to work on making them better in real game situations, which means you can't be thinking about it too much.  Guys like Perry and ApW46, they can teach you how to win with what you have and make what you have work better.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 9:56pm
Very true Baal,
     Myself, I try to not limit myself. I did learn how to loops much better in China BUT,,,I had lessons 2 or 3 times a week from very good players and played everyday, sometimes 6 or 8 hours a day.  Now, I am still using what I learned. If I had not had so much time and a determination to learn, it would not have done me any good.

One of the things I learned was to lean back and do a huge loop that I would have taken backhand before. It is a great leap in attacking for me.  You have to be determined to learn things like this or don't bother. Don't know how many more years I will last but i will keep trying to learn everything I can.

I ride my mountain bike, go hiking, climbing, walk alot and play other sports. Being in shape is a requirement to do high level play at my age. In China, I saw many older players that were double winged loopers. Big difference there, They walk everyplace, and thier diet is much better than the average diet in the U.S.  Hardly ever saw anyone over weight. I brought back some things from China, one is a bamboo steamer. Makes very good veggies. I cook almost all my meals. Might eat out once a month.  Smile  
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 10:07pm
Good example of "age". I was coaching a student at the college today. About 20 years old. I kept telling him he needed a lower stance. He would do it for one or two minutes and then he was straight legged again. I finally told him, that is hurting all your strokes. He said his legs get tired. He does not do any other sports and has a car. He said he would not walk one block to the food store, he drives his car. He looks like he is in good shape but he really is not.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 8:39am
Both Baal and Hookshot seem to have different point of view, and yet both are so valid.  I am a tad younger than both of you, and still trying to learn the game :)  The way I see it, at my age there is probably no way I can play like a pro, so Baal is right that I should concentrate on what I can do and improve on it, but on the other hand at my age I am no longer that compatitive, I do not spend all that money (10% on coaching, 90% on equipment BTW :)) to beat other guys in matches (would be nice, but not the point).

What I want is to do it right, so when I am 90 yrs old, I can tell the guy sitting next to me, in the nursing home, "guess what, I used to be able to do monster loop 3 times in a row..." :).  For me a good coach should not assume what is good for me, base on my physical ability, a good coach should try (or at least find way to try) to help me achieve what I want, don't worry about me not making it, my goal will change along the way anyway, as I know more about the game :).
pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 12:04pm
You guys have very good points.

What do you guys think about female coaches? Obviously as a kid little girls and boys were trained differently. Perhaps, in the girls side they have been trained more on the BH, whereas boys focused more on the FH. Looping and blocking strokes could be different as well, since physically we are different.

Does having a female coach benefit more than a male coach in one way or another?
Acoustic
BH: T64
FH: BW2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Good example of "age". I was coaching a student at the college today. About 20 years old. I kept telling him he needed a lower stance. He would do it for one or two minutes and then he was straight legged again. I finally told him, that is hurting all your strokes. He said his legs get tired. He does not do any other sports and has a car. He said he would not walk one block to the food store, he drives his car. He looks like he is in good shape but he really is not.

I also noticed the same thing - even with younger players (teens), even when there is no car and they seem to be in good shape.

You tell them - you have to be on the balls of your feet ALL THE FRIGGING TIME! your knees have to be slightly bent ATFT!! you have to move/dance/rock from side to side ATFT (even if there is no apparent need, say, when ball comes at you in a convenient way) !!

What do they say back to me? This: oh, I tried that for a few minutes and I couldn't hit my strokes properly... or: my strokes are worse than before...

Of course they are! You have been playing standing on straight legs for a year now, clutching your hand to your body and your technique is awful! Of course when you try to move properly your usual strokes will feel clumsy and inconvenient. Do you expect to start playing like a champ in the first 5 minutes of doing proper footwork?

It seems that yes, they do expect that. There is no long term thinking there - they do think that if something doesn't work within 5-10 minutes then there is no use for it. I am amazed that they actually learn anything in school... who on Earth needs to know how to calculate rocket trajectory if that might be used only ten year later (and most likely, never!)? Cry

Oh god, I am so old... Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 5:51pm
Good thread. There are older coaches who stick to what they were taught 25 yrs ago, there are older coaches that keep up to date, there are young coaches who coach on the edge of fashion, there are younger coaches who coach on the edge of fashion (notice the last two statements are the same)
 The value of a coach needs to be back tracked from the pupil to see its worth, if the pupil is cutting edge young hopeful pro/semi pro, a younger coach (within the last 10 yrs as a player) must be of benefit.
If you pracitice 4/5/6 hours a week, are a social player just looking to improve, an older coach is almost definately better for you, you are not ever going to be a pro, an older coach has more experience of the fluctuations in TT style/ and usually has a ground base of coaching that is more likely to be a benefit to you. Less than 4 hours practice? just enjoy yourself, any coach is just taking your money, and after 5 years, you won't be much better than you are now

Edited by APW46 - 10/07/2010 at 5:55pm
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 8:26pm

Does having a female coach benefit more than a male coach in one way or another?

I don't think so. 

Language skills, on the other hand, are very important, especially if you are an advanced or intermediate player and need more than multiballs.  Thats why I learned a lot from guys like Perry Schwartzberg and Eric Owens.  They can communicate subtle ideas.  One of the coaches here I can tell it frustrates her that she cannot tell English speaking students some of what she thinks we need to hear.

Of course, when coaches are female, young and pretty (not common but once in awhile), I will always sign up for a few lessons because...   well, just because!  Big smile 
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 10:54pm

Call me immature, but, if I had a good looking female coach, I would be totally motivated to train hard, play hard and impress her. Evil Smile

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by infinite_loop infinite_loop wrote:

Call me immature, but, if I had a good looking female coach, I would be totally motivated to train hard, play hard and impress her. Evil Smile

I for one would never call you that.  I am old enough that I am like a dog chasing a car in that I'm not sure what I would do if I managed to catch it. Ermm And I know exactly what you mean!
Timo Boll2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2010 at 1:59pm
If i had female coach,a beautiful one i would train so hard that after the training i wouldn`t even hold my blade.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic