Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade similar to Clipper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
manishpai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manishpai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade similar to Clipper
    Posted: 05/17/2009 at 1:11am
I played with my friends Clipper and liked it. Are there any other alternatives to this which is as good or better than clipper?
Sponsored Links

Geddoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geddoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 1:24am
Some say Galaxy M6 is like it.
KLHS
Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm
Gambler Outlaw 2.0mm
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 1:33am
I think the P700 might be like it if i remember hearsay correctly.

why not just get a clipper?
manishpai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manishpai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 1:47am
That is a option. But I was trying to see if there are alternatives
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 3:26am
Yin-he M6 is similar to Clipper Wood Non CR. But I would recommend Clipper Wood CR Non-WRB or Stiga's OC (offensive class) CR Non-WRB
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 3:30am
I have both the Clipper Wood and Galaxy M6.

The Clipper Wood is my main blade, as it's good at everything; whereas my Galaxy M6 isn't used much these days.

The Galaxy M6 is a 5.8mm thick blade, that is good for looping, has decent touch; but is not as good as the 6.8mm thick Clipper Wood for blocking or smashing. It's also slower than the Clipper too.

The Galaxy M6 is a good blade and value for money, which might dictate your choice.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 5:24am
persson powerplay blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
octopus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 11:00am
hi.. this blade is very similar to clipper in construction

photos by www.ttball.com

Blade : DHS PG7

FH: Bluefire M1

BH: Bluefire M3

Bio Booster

BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 11:28am
baum carrera maybe?
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
phantagarow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantagarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 4:07pm
Nittaku Ludeack is very similar in construction. I found it to be slower than Clipper and costs more than twice the price.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 5:40pm
A lot of blades are similar to the Clipper, the clipper is a true classic!
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

A lot of blades are similar to the Clipper, the clipper is a true classic!
+1. As far as I'm concerned, Clipper Wood is the benchmark of all the 7 ply pure all wood blades out there. Relatively affordable, rugged, powerful yet controllable (Just played it this morning w/Banda Sigma FH/Focus 3 BH, 173g total!). It's, i believe, all any1 would ever need. period.
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 8:19pm
manishpai

go for the Clipper !
e-pingpongshop
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 9:09pm
I found that Avalox BT777 has better feeling compared to Clipper (the new one).  I heard that Stiga had modified Clipper since everybody said that the old clippers were the best.  The new one that I have tried is not good and is 99 gr!!!.  Avalox is better and mine is only 82 gr.  I heard P700 is good also but I have never tried it.
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 9:53pm
I also suggest just to get the Clipper. They are cheap and mighty.
Great offensive blade, good for everything. BTW that Viva blade pictured few posts above looks just like the Clipper.
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by octopus octopus wrote:

hi.. this blade is very similar to clipper in construction
How does it play compared to Clipper?
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2009 at 10:53pm
I remember reading a thread in OOAK about "hybrid" blades that have all positive aspects of 5-ply and 7-ply.  "Hybrid" here is only a term that I use (not mentioned in the thread at all) to describe a 5-ply (which is usually good for almost anything but has less power) with more power and a 7-ply (which usually has good power but less feel or touch) with more feel/touch.  The two examples discussed there are BTY Korbel (5-ply with more power) and Joola VIVA (7-ply with soft feel).

Back to the topic, it is mentioned there that Joola VIVA is softer, has better feel and slower compared to Clipper.  If Clipper is described as traditional 7-ply, VIVA is 7-ply that still has 5-ply characteristics in term of touch/feel.  Donic Powerplay is being mentioned also as being a bit softer and slower compared to VIVA.  That's what I remember, maybe I can go back and read again.

The thread is a translated article from Chinese Magazine, posted by Gekogark.  The title is "Hard 5-ply and Soft 7-ply" if I remember correctly.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 12:27am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I found that Avalox BT777 has better feeling compared to Clipper (the new one).� The new one that I have tried is not good and is 99 gr!!!.� Avalox is better and mine is only 82 gr.� I heard P700 is good also but I have never tried it.

I traded my P700 AN 84g to Clipper CR WRB 92g... And didn't regret it...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 12:53am
come to think of my last Clipper Wood An. which i actually bought it...ermmm...from an almighty t/t member whom i think now is some1 of higher authority here btw. It has a "notch", dare I say QA/QC imperfection on the side of the handle? I paid higher $$$$ compared to the amount I would've paid if i had bought it from Dandoy then. But since it was from supposedly a reliable so called "friend" whom i "trusted". That blade's weight was like 87g -89g which was just few grams heavier than my most desired 84g. It played so so/ok but i felt the "notch" all the time in my palm and it really bothered me and most importantly I thought it was from my most reliable source..i was disappointed so I ended up giving it away to an old friend from Seattle as he told me his Optimum Plus was stolen few days ago. He happily accepted it and didn't mind 1 bit abt the "imperfection".
I then ordered my An. handled one, 84g from Dandoy and have bn loving it since then..It wasn't that expensive, like 35.00 to 40.00 USD then?...
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 2:17am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

The thread is a translated article from Chinese Magazine, posted by Gekogark.  The title is "Hard 5-ply and Soft 7-ply" if I remember correctly.

lol, thx for reading it. I haven't done a translation in a while. Hoping to get some good stuff and more free time!

But I would recommend the M6 as a starting point. It is like a Clipper, but just slower and has better arc.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 7:32am
Bearing in mind the Clipper Wood is a great blade and popular, it makes sense for Joola to produce the Viva, as a suitable choice for sponsored players, who liked playing with a Clipper Wood prior to the sponsorship deal.

Like 7plywood, I noticed the Joola Viva blade is the same thickness and construction, as a modern Clipper Wood, with only the handle and the print on the forehand side of the Viva being different. As such I'd be surprised if they didn't play very simlar.

Regarding other blades like the Clipper :

Galaxy M6 :

A good blade in it's own right and a valid choice for those wanting a Clipper style blade. Don't be fooled by it's price, it's a good performer and well made. It has a more pronounced arc than the Clipper, because it's a thinner 5.8mm blade, which makes it more flexible, slower and less powerful than the Clipper Wood.  It's a more forgiving blade when looping than the Clipper Wood, due to it's higher throw and better dwell time; but not as good as the Clipper when blocking and smashing, because the Clipper's 6.8mm thickness makes it easier to accurately place smashes and blocks.

Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1:

Another classic blade like the Clipper Wood. It's quicker and slightly stiffer than the Galaxy M6, due to it's more compact head and 6mm thickness. It's got good control and a better feel to it than the Galaxy M6. The blade has enough flex to generate good spin on loops, whilst being a more stable blade for blocking and smashing than the Galaxy M6.  Even so, it's still not as good a smashing or blocking blade as the 6.8mm Clipper Wood.

I rate the Clipper Wood highly because I find it a versatile blade, that suits my game; closely followed by the Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1, which is probably the most versatile of the three. The Galaxy M6 is a blade I'd be perfectly happy using if i hadn't tried the other two and a good choice for the budget conscious TT player.

The good news is all three are good blades, worth playing with.

flatulenzio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 9:28am
I wonder how many people still think M6 is a clipper clone...

M5 is much more similar than M6!

Maybe Donic Baum Carrera Senso is a kind of clipper clone...
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by flatulenzio flatulenzio wrote:

I wonder how many people still think M6 is a clipper clone...

M5 is much more similar than M6!

Impressive knowledge! Few people actually know that Yinhe's blade maker Han GuoHua, designed the M5 to substitute for the Clipper, but we EJs later thought the M6 was.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 7:09pm
The Donic Baum Carrera Senso is a Clipper style blade and a good one too.

Judging by the description and look of the M5, I agree that it is the real substitute for the modern Clipper Wood; rather than the M6.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

The Donic Baum Carrera Senso is a Clipper style blade and a good one too.

Judging by the description and look of the M5, I agree that it is the real substitute for the modern Clipper Wood; rather than the M6.

@Peter:  Just curious, what do you think of Avalox P700 and BT777? (if you have ever used one).  Many people said that P700 is a Clipper clone as well.  BT777 is just a refinement of P700 in term of weight and trampoline effect.

For me, I found that BT777 feels better.  It feels like stiffer 5-ply and a bit springy.  Probably because my BT777 is 82 grams.  I believe if it's >90 grams, I believe I can compare with Clipper better.  The Clipper that I tried is 99 grams!!!

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 9:12pm
Clippers are heavier, thicker, harder and faster than P700 and BT777.

One blade I tried a couple of weeks ago and plays almost like Clipper is BTY SK7. It's just softer than Clipper but also fast, heavy and same thickness.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by flatulenzio flatulenzio wrote:

Maybe Donic Baum Carrera Senso is a kind of clipper clone...

Donic Baum Carrera is a 7ply limba+ayous so in that regard it is similar to Clipper. It is also a great blade.
Comparing to Clipper it is thinner (6mm), slower, slightly more control and feels harder and stiffer than Clipper. I has a smaller head than Clipper (but still rather normal size blade, not compact).
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 11:07pm
I just read the fore-mentioned article translated by geko on the "other" TT forum. Great read - thanks geko! It sort of answers my question about Viva.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 12:21am
Originally posted by 7plywood 7plywood wrote:

I just read the fore-mentioned article translated by geko on the "other" TT forum. Great read - thanks geko! It sort of answers my question about Viva.
Could you post the link here? I tried to find it, but I got no success Ouch
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 12:45am
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Originally posted by 7plywood 7plywood wrote:

Could you post the link here? I tried to find it, but I got no success Ouch

Here is the link:
http://forums.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4061

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic