FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Robot Reviews !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 10:51am
I did not have time to create any vids of the Double Snakes new robot, so here are some vid clips from someone in China with a FQJ-4 robot in use.  

TUDOU
http://www.tudou.com/home/item_u1302284s0p1.html VIDS OF FQJ-4

Sponsored Links

shamoo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 1:52am
Great review Rich. You seem to have gleaned more from the robot than I have in weeks lol! you definitely live up to your title. Those are some nice videos, thanks for the link...

incidentally, if there are any other FQJ-4 owners or even version 2 or 3, if you have favorite settings to post that would be great.

alexcsibi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexcsibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 3:01am
Good job Rich! Sent you a PM. Would appreciate a quick response if you have the time...
Blade: Stiga Infinity VPS

FH: Spinart

BH: Stiga Clippa
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2009 at 11:22am
Thanks shamoo and alexcsibi (pm sent)  

alex, I would seriously talk to someone that has used the Amicus 3000 pro before you make the decision that it is the best.  I have no actual experience with this robot, but have talked to several that have.  Most regretted the purchase and wished they had spent less than half on another robot. The biggest issue was setup and dealing with the catch net.  They were tired quickly of the setup time for home use going from playing with partner to setting up robot..to playing with partner again.   But for club or training facility, it may be more appreciated. 

I will be doing a review on the new Oukei TW 2700-S9 dual head in the nest  month or so. At half the cost of the Amicus, it may be a much better alternative.  Oukei does a fantastic job of making controls.....but I am not much of a fan of their foam throwing wheels and "tunnel" deflector.  Butterfly and Oukei are the exact same heads in this regards. 

sonydn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonydn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:07am
Hi Rich;
Thank you for all the great reviews. They are very detail and informative. I have a question about the tw2700-8 and YT 989E. I know that, with these, you cannot have the subsequence ball with different type of spin. But can you program the spin intensitive for each ball. For example, ball 1 with heavy under spin follow by ball 2 with mild underspin and then ball 3 with litle under spin.

Thanks;
Sony
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 5:57pm
sonydn....thanks for your support!

The 989E and the Oukei 08 robots will not do as you wish unfortunately.  
ausinator View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 8:40pm
Hey Rich, quick question. If lets say i wanted to buy the donic robot, where would i get it? Why does the official donic robot not have the robot on their website. When i visit the official Donic website and go to their robot section it seems they are selling rebranded newgy robots.

http://www.donic.de/index.php?screen=dstore.home&CVID=18773

this is really wierd. Does donic still support the robot you reviewed? and why do they not even have a website for it?

thnx
Donic Waldner Black Devil
FH - Andro Roxon 330
BH - Joola Energy Green Power X-sfot
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 9:42pm
ausinator,  good guestion.  I always wondered that too.  When I did the review for it, far east sports called it a donic.  There were no Donic logos or names on the box or any lititure.  Maybe it was something lost in translation. 

The company is called DDNO in China.   DDNO WEBSITE

Its basically a Y&T type build with a real nice digital control pad.  Very nice robot.  It looks like the changed the ball pushing mechanism on the new colored versions (DL 263-DL 261) from a piston device to a cork screw one like Oukei uses.  I believe it is the same robot otherwise. 

Far East Sports is the only place with English I have ever seen it sold.  Let me know if you have any other questions about it. 

ausinator View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:36pm
thnx for asking if I had another question, I actually do. three questions to be more precise.

First: there seems to be 3 "donic" robots.

dl-163 - $950
http://www.fareastsports.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=690

dl - 261 - $835
http://www.fareastsports.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=222&productname=

dl - 263 - $1075
http://www.fareastsports.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=221&productname=

Which one is best for bang for the buck? which one would you recommend? Is there really any difference between the three?

and my second question is, the prices are in which currency? u.s?

and my third question is regarding shipping, the site says that they ship to the u.s. I live in Canada. do they ship to Canada?

thank you Rich
FH - Andro Roxon 330
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:55pm
Aus....  The prior year models are DL163 and DL161.  The new ones are almost identical except for the mechanism that pushes the balls up to the head.   The only other change I can see is the color of the new DL263 and DL261.  The 263 has 2 throwing wheels, and the 261 only has 1 throwing wheel. 

When I did the review on the DL163, I had a Y&T 989E.  The DL163 seemed to have faster throwing wheel motors.  Like I said in my review, this is the best bang for the buck!  

Yes, they sell worldwide and prices are in US currency. 
ausinator View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ausinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 11:32pm
thnx rich, i guess the dl163 it is.

appreciate all the help

FH - Andro Roxon 330
Eli 1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli 1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2009 at 4:24pm
We talked a year ago about robots and am using a friends Newgy. I see that AMDT came out with a new robot and Y&T is also suppost to come out with one. Any new info? review in the future? thanks ELi
THE BIG E
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2009 at 7:00pm
Eli 1212......your the guy in the Chicago area?      How have you been?

Scroll up if you have not read my review on the Double Snakes FQJ-4 !

I may do a review on the Oukei S9 soon....my initial impression is that they still do not have the ability to rotate the heads 90 degrees for pure side spin shots.  This looks to be the case too with the Y&T versions, but I am not completely sure. 

If you look at the pictures of these robots with the dual heads, the heads are very close together and it appears they do not have enough space to line them up at 90 degree angles.....but I could be wrong as I also see that Y&T has used short stack type throwing wheel motors. The Y&T dual heads are not released yet.

I must admit, I am not that fond of the Butterfly/Oukei heads with the foam wheels or the tunnel deflection design.  Although Oukei does have very good control pad designs and functions. 

shamoo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2009 at 11:49pm
Some update about using the FQJ-4..

Definitely lots of functions to sift through. One thing that I was surprised to learn is that the robot isn't really capable of doing alternating full back to top spin. it can do full right to left, in either top or backspin, but it can't go from top to back alternating (as far as I can figure out anyway). A little disappointing but the other functions make up for it I think. It does, however, have the ability to do a short backspin serve followed by a topspin shot.

I still haven't explored all the functions yet.. but I did a combo today of alternating right and left topspin with short back-side spin serves mixed in, alternating 2 balls to forehand 1 ball to backhand. that was definitely a tiring workout!
olmosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olmosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 1:39pm
Hi Rich,did You test y&ts-27?It is now on FES site for sale.Thanks.
newcomer
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 2:14pm
The Y&T and Oukei Dual Head robots are now available, but it may be January before I will be able to do any reviews on them.  They do look pretty promising from what little technical info I have learned lately. 

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 6:41pm
@Rich

I see AMDTrading has a dual head robot too.  Is that the same as Oukei one you mentioned?  Thanks.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

@Rich

I see AMDTrading has a dual head robot too.  Is that the same as Oukei one you mentioned?  Thanks.

Yes, this is the new Oukei TW2700-S9. 
olmosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olmosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:28pm
Will look forward,Rich,for your S-27 review.Hope it wiil be free of (dual)troubles,like his one head "brother"V-989G
newcomer
sonydn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonydn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Vikroda Vikroda wrote:

I was thinking to replace the foam throwing wheels of the Amicus with something with a little more grip.  The double snake throwing wheels look that they would be better than the Amicus wheels.  I've also been looking at some model airplane wheels http://www.servocity.com/html/precision_disk_wheels.html  (I also want to upgrade the Amicus  motors and add something to make it automatically rotate for side-spin or to compensate for the side-spin that's induced by the deflectors.  By the time I'm done I'll have almost a completely new robot ^^)

Hi Vikroda;
With the deflector, how accurate is the ball landing in the Amicus? Let's say when setting only one type A ball with top spin which landing in the middle of one half of the table, when playing repeately at the speed of 65-75 balls per minute, have you ever seen the ball landing off more than 6-12 inches right or left the desire spot? What is the percentage of off landing spot balls if any?
Have you successfully replaced the foam wheels with something with more grip?

Regards;
Sony

sonydn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonydn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Eli 1212......your the guy in the Chicago area?      How have you been?

Scroll up if you have not read my review on the Double Snakes FQJ-4 !

I may do a review on the Oukei S9 soon....my initial impression is that they still do not have the ability to rotate the heads 90 degrees for pure side spin shots.  This looks to be the case too with the Y&T versions, but I am not completely sure. 

If you look at the pictures of these robots with the dual heads, the heads are very close together and it appears they do not have enough space to line them up at 90 degree angles.....but I could be wrong as I also see that Y&T has used short stack type throwing wheel motors. The Y&T dual heads are not released yet.

I must admit, I am not that fond of the Butterfly/Oukei heads with the foam wheels or the tunnel deflection design.  Although Oukei does have very good control pad designs and functions. 

Hi Rich;
Would you please provide some inside why you don't like the foam wheels and the tunnel deflection design.

Thanks;
Sony
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 9:51am
Sonydn,  basically on the foam wheels, they wear down and thus have to be adjusted.  While this may not happen very quickly for some, it may happen faster for others pending on how many hours the robot is used (such as clubs, training centers, etc.).  Just seems like the design could of used a hard rubber type wheel. 

As for the tunnel deflectors.......they make the robot loud and the ball spin off the wheels gets changed. But a good point on them is that they allow the control of up and down to be set from a control pad with the build design, and not from the manual adjustment at the head of the robot with other designs.  But also, the Y&T 989G and all the Double Snakes robots have this up and down control set by the control pad and not a manual adjustment at the head of the robot.  Double Snakes is far the best designed and implemented in the control factors for moving the head to various places with the control pad. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2010 at 11:58am
News.....     The Double Snakes FQJ-2 and FQJ-4 robots now have universal power supplies.  So there is no need for a voltage transformer. 

Other news....I will most likely have a Y&T S27 Dual Head robot to test in about 1 month.  I finally sold my snowmobile...and will either keep this robot or just buy the Double Snakes FQJ-4 robot.  These are the two best ones it seems at this point.  The Oukei S9 dual head is an option....but I just don't like the foam wheels and tunnel deflector part.  The Oukei's have very good control pads though. 

More later......
altaylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altaylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2010 at 12:07pm
hi
will you do a review for oueki s-9
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by altaylar altaylar wrote:

hi
will you do a review for oueki s-9

I will have something soon.  Check my other posting on the Y&T dual head, it will be posted and discussed there.

pbirchmeier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbirchmeier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 12:47pm
Hi,
I have been searching for a good robot for quite a while. Based on the many helpful reviews here on the forum, I tend to see the Double Snakes FQJ-4 as the option for me. However, I would have some open questions before buying it.

- It was said that the robot was capable of doing top- and back-spin within the same sequence. However, alternating full top- and back-spin would not be possible. Shamoo even mentioned that the only combination of top- and back-spin he found was a short back-spin serve followed by a long top-spin. Does this mean that a long back-spin serve followed by a long top-spin for instance is not possible? How about alternating no-spins and top-spins?

- How is the sequence short back-spin serve - long top-spin generated? By turning the head 180 degree or by inverting the wheels' rotation direction?

- A more general question I have is related to the wheels: are they capable of rotating in both directions?

I know these questions are very technical. I hoped that one of the newly presented double headed robots would convince me. This hasn't happened so far. I consider the one head's configuration flexibility (FQJ-4) as more useful than the fact that I can alternate back-spin and top-spin. In a real game scenario, I don't think it happens very often that I have to play top-spins and back-spins alternating, unless I am some sort of a defense player. In my opinion, a long back-spin followed by an unlimited number of top-spins is a more typical scenario. That's why I hope that the FQJ-4 supports this combo.
TT_64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 6:57am
Hi pbirchmeier,

For what it's worth, allow me to share my evaluation process like yours which I did recently and concluded that the double head Y&T robot serves almost all my purposes.

You are right about the fact that in real life matches it is usually a few strokes of underspin followed by a series of top spins rather than alternating unsderspin and top spin. Effectively, the FQJ4 and both the double head robots would perform this task well. FQJ has the added advantage of being fully adjustable although it is at a much higher cost.

However, since you mention technical considerations, you might want to consider the engineering side of things which I went through. The Y&T S27 has 4 motors for the serving.

The 4 serving motors are high speed motors which have to withstand tremendous stress throwing out balls continuously. Sometimes it will even have to withstand strikes from balls struck back. If there is any failure in the robot I'd expect it to occur in any of these 4 motors. With 2 heads it means there is redundancy.

If you look at the FQJ4, it has only 2 motors for serving. Effectively, the two motors are already working twice as hard as the double head since it cannot alternate its serving between two heads. If you look at the dynamics of just 1 sequence of serving 1 underspin followed immediately by 1 topspin, the amount of stress on the motors are tremendous. The two motors have to spin one way to serve underspin balls, decelerate to zero speed and then accelerate hard in the other direction to top speed for topspin loops all within 1 second for realistic shots.

It sounds like alot for the motors to do to me.

The other issue I had to consider is that in the event that any of the rotational motors fail, will I still be able to adjust the angle of trajectory, type of spin etc manually and carry on using it. The FQJ does not seem to have any manual adjustment knobs.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 9:34am
pbirchmeier,  let me address a few of your questions and concerns.

The Double Snakes robots are in a league all their own as far as ability to control all the movements and motors of the head from the control pad. No other robot comes close in my mind with Double Snakes abilities in this regard. 

I never got to use the Double Snakes FQJ-4 long enough to do anything but a simple test and quick review.  So I never had a good chance to figure out all the advanced button functions and how they interact to make possible backspin to topspin combinations.  I have a contact in NY that got the FQJ-4 in the past month or less.  I am going to contact them at some point soon to see what they have figured out with the advanced functions. 

It's rather odd to me that most of the robot manufactures are not including exact data or a complete breakdown of their programmed sequences built in to the robot.  The Double Snakes FQJ-4 and the Oukei S-9 are the 2 that stand out the most to me in this area as far as this need.

As far as the ability to program a few of the sequences you have described, such as no spin to top spins, or alternating different spins on consecutive balls, I'm not totally sure the FQJ-4 will do exactly what you want here. But I would like to find out more about the FQJ-4's full abilities before I can make any claim in this area of the robot.  It does cost a lot more than most of the other advanced robots, but there are many factors about it that makes it so enjoyable to use compared to other high end robots.  It is still the one robot that I wish I owned. Like the Y&T robots, the Double Snakes robots excel at quickly setting up various shots and changing between them.  But with the various preset shots and serves buttons, it is more in depth in this regard compared tot he Y&T designs. Add in the fact that it is the most quiet robot around, and its ability to create excellent ball flights, it's just simply a pleasure to use.  Also, it is built quite strong and I do not see any motor or other parts failing with extended use. 

Most all the higher end robots use larger motors that can handle the stress of shooting balls out for a long lifespan in my opinion. But to also answer your questions directly about throwing wheel motors reversing or the head turning 180 degrees to make one ball a backspin and then next a topspin per say.....NO...the throwing wheel motors only spin consistently in one direction.  They will however slow down or speed up with some robot designs. 

The difference in the speeds from top to bottom throwing wheels (offset of speeds between the top and bottom wheels), is what makes the spin or speed changes from ball to ball on some robots with that capability. For instance, on the Y&T 989E robot and a couple others, the long/short landing function was merely allowing the speeds of the throwing wheels to slow down for that particular shot that was to be the short landing spot.  Other robots would make a short landing spot by the vertical head angle actually changing slightly. 

So as far as choosing between the advanced head controlling features of the FQJ-4, or one of the new double head robots with the ability to change ball spins from ball to ball and program the landing spots, it is a hard decision for many.  I would not have this choice problem if Double Snakes comes out with a new robot that has dual heads and programmable landing spots....but at this point....who knows if that may happen. 

So you have to pick out the main area of your importance with choosing the higher end robots.  As with all robots, they all have pro's and con's.  No perfect robot has been created yet......unfortunately...I'm still waiting.  This is why I have conducted so many reviews on robots.  I hope I have helped many in the decision of which robot to purchase for their needs/wants. 

TT_64,  I do not think the stress of throwing balls from a 2 head robot is much different in the lifespan or work load of the motors in any of the $1000 plus robots out there. The motors are all pretty heavy duty as far as the cans and magnets inside them go.  These motors produce plenty of torque.  I must say though, the new short can motors on the Y&T S-27 are highly impressive to what they use on their other robots. They are faster and slightly more quiet than the past ones used.  Those were a huge upgrade in my opinion. 

And as far as motors failing...or i think you mean degrading in its speed or torque, this should not happen as fast as you are worried about.  The cost of new motors is not expensive at all anyway if you need to replace them.  I'm not sure what you are worried about if the motors fail on the FQJ-4 robot.  Which ones are you referring to here?   I see absolutely no possible situation of this happening to any of the motors that move the head to various positions.  Those motors are not over worked at all because of the little use they get.  But on the rare possibility that one does fail, those motors are much more cheaper than the larger throwing wheel motors, so I would never be concerned with that. 

The motors on a Super Master or Newgy for instance are very small and cheap in built compared to what the higher end robots use.  But still there is not many failures with the cheaper motors used in the Newgy or Super Master robots these days. 

TT_64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 11:11am
Hello Rich215

Thanks for your clarification. If it is just acceleration and deceleration of the two wheels to different relative speed without actual reversal in rotation, the stress on the motors would be alot less. I've understood that one wrongly.

As to my worry about possible failure to the motors, I am more referring to the change of spin as well as the up/down motors. It is true that they are seldom used and the loads are relatively light, however, being an engineer, I am just being paranoid about having a manual override when things go wrong so that I can carry on using it while waiting for replacement parts. Considering the temperature and the humidity variation over here in Singapore, it may cause some problems to the plastic gears or overheating. I still remember the problems that continental cars had when they were first imported into Singapore.

twain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2010 at 5:31pm
Rich, I read with much interest your reviews, and very comprehensive they are. One question I wonder if you or anyone knows is this. I have used a newgy robopong and on oscillation you can set it to fire balls slowly or quickly whilst oscillating at the same speed - thus you never quite know where the ball is going to land.

With the Double Snake 2 it seems to operate the same, but there is mention on the Double snake 4 that it is different. Do you know what this difference is and whether you can still set the oscillation on this basis, or whether the ball fires at exact fixed points and this sort of randomness is lost?

Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic