Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming Joola X-plode Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming Joola X-plode Review
    Posted: 03/21/2010 at 12:24am
I am going to give this a go again with my new DotecHinoki blade :)
Sponsored Links

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 2:41am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

Day 3: X-plode is a little softer than the day before. Loops are easily landing on the table; the rubber bites the ball and then slings it out. Countering is still really good with this rubber; it is linear and has good pace. Blocking is pretty good, balls will land where I want them to. Flipping is good since the medium-hard sponge and the grippy topsheet do lots of the work.

Compared to Vega Pro:
Speed
X-Plode > Pro
Spin
X-Plode ~ Pro (Need more time to decide)
Control
Pro > X-Plode
I say the Vega Pro had a little bit more spin. And if all your backhand blocks with X-plode were going where you wanted them to then you are a sadist Tongue
Hey- all my FH blocks were going where I wanted them
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 1:46am
holda: i've had it for 3 months now and it's still grippy. slight rips near the edges but that's it.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

Day 3: X-plode is a little softer than the day before. Loops are easily landing on the table; the rubber bites the ball and then slings it out. Countering is still really good with this rubber; it is linear and has good pace. Blocking is pretty good, balls will land where I want them to. Flipping is good since the medium-hard sponge and the grippy topsheet do lots of the work.

Compared to Vega Pro:
Speed
X-Plode > Pro
Spin
Control
Pro > X-Plode
I say the Vega Pro had a little bit more spin. And if all your backhand blocks with X-plode were going where you wanted them to then you are a sadist Tongue
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 12:48am
saw this rubber today.hated the 50$ sticker price.i wonder if this rubber retains its grip for any longer time vs jo platinum or joola x-energy.i like tensors ,but they become worn so fast
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 12:33am
welcome to the club jeff =). you've fully converted to xplode!

i'll add something...after 3 months of playing, i think the blocks have suffered a bit....not sure if it's b/c of me or b/c of the rubber. but we'll see!
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 12:05am

Compared to Vega Pro:
Speed
X-Plode > Pro
Spin
Control
Pro > X-Plode
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 2:21am
it does lose some speed after a few days/weeks...but that only happens for blocks and counters. when you start hitting harder it's all the same.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 2:04am
did your explode lose some speed after about a week or so?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 1:20am
Originally posted by BHDoom BHDoom wrote:

ive been playing with it on my BH, i havent noticed any fragility problems, this rubber seems very very mildly tacky in contrast to the ultra grippiness of tenergy 05, so that might be why people think it plays slightly better broken in, the rubber has good click sound, sometimes i do feel like it might stick too much because of the slight tacky, not a good thing for BH loop, when i put a sheet of plastic to protect rubber, the plastic slips right off of tenergy, the plastic cover sticks to the x-plode
I spent a lot of time at my local club today to soften the sponge up. I countered and looped with it for a while and beat it lightly with a rubber roller. At the end of the day the X-plode was a little softer and I found looping with it easier. Some of my club mates have told me that it takes roughly a week of normal playing to break X-plode in. The same clubmates also have x-plode on their blades; the weird thing is their x-plode is softer than my Vega Pro.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 8:30pm
This is a very good review so far ,I like the tone as well as the fact that your experience comes through your written words ,nice.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 8:26pm
QUOTE  tpgh2k

"the blocks are a lot better (compared to bryce speed)"

I agree with you here but these rubbers  are no where near Bryce Speed FX in the blocking department
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 7:49pm
ive been playing with it on my BH, i havent noticed any fragility problems, this rubber seems very very mildly tacky in contrast to the ultra grippiness of tenergy 05, so that might be why people think it plays slightly better broken in, the rubber has good click sound, sometimes i do feel like it might stick too much because of the slight tacky, not a good thing for BH loop, when i put a sheet of plastic to protect rubber, the plastic slips right off of tenergy, the plastic cover sticks to the x-plode
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 1:55am
@jeff: i seem to like it better when its new. but it plays just as well when it's worn in...i feel like the sponge might get a bit softer and it wraps the ball a lot. but either way, i think it's plays well out of the box and worn in until it literally falls apart.

@vik: platin and express are about the same, xplode is a bit slower on passive shots but at higher gears they all are about the same.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 5:35pm
To compare speed : Platin,Express1,X-Plode ?
Thanks.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

the spin from xplode is so much better than any other tensor i've tried. paired with a YEO, it is absolutely lovely for the bh or the fh. the topsheet is very grippy but soft at the same time. this really helps with spin and loops but there is a drawback.

after nearly 3 months, i now see small chips on the edges. that's pretty much the only bad thing i've seen so far.
A few of my friends say that X-plode plays better after it breaks in. Is that true? Have you experienced and increases in performance after several sessions?
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 9:35am
the spin from xplode is so much better than any other tensor i've tried. paired with a YEO, it is absolutely lovely for the bh or the fh. the topsheet is very grippy but soft at the same time. this really helps with spin and loops but there is a drawback.

after nearly 3 months, i now see small chips on the edges. that's pretty much the only bad thing i've seen so far.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 9:30am
There are some more reviews on the Table Tennis Database:

Joola Express X-plode Reviews

Feel free to post your reviews there too.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 7:54am
Someone can compare X-Plode vs Platin.
Thanks.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 2:48am
Today I put on a sheet of Black, MAX JOOLA X-plode on my the FH of my Avalox P700. X-plode has a very firm sponge on a nice grippy topsheet. Countering, blocking, and looping are good (will follow up with more details after my practice session later today). I feel that this rubber needs to be broken in before I can really get some serious speed and spin.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2009 at 12:50pm
i've only had chances to do flat hits over the table with my bh on chance balls. so from that point of view it's pretty good. the rubber itself is only about medium speed (i like that) so if you feel like it lacks some umph then you'll just need to muscle it a little bit more.

on the fh side i have absolutely no problem looping very hard with it. the ball travels surprisingly fast even from 8-10 feet behind the table.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2009 at 4:08am
Tpgh2k,

What do you think of it's flat hitting capabilities? For the little I've played with it, it's much easier to smash with than tenergies or even genius for that matter, but it lacks a bit of put away power. However, for low fast loop drives it's up there with the best of them. I agree that the blocking is surprisingly controllable. It also seems to have a bit more sound than it's other brand competitors.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2009 at 11:43pm
it's be decided. xplode is now my new permanent backhand rubber. paired with the YEO, it is truly a deadly weapon (for me).

speed wise, i find it just perfect...not too fast, not too slow. it allows me to pretty much block comfortable no matter what kind of ball comes my way. when i try to block strong loops, i miss sometimes but that's more my fault than anything else.

the sponge hardness is just great. i can counterloop so well with this it's scary.

i even managed to beat an 1800 player 3-0 earlier tonight =x. so yea, i think i've finally found something that truly works for me now =D
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2009 at 10:28am
there's no reason why you can't use rubber cement. i'd just suggest that you apply the glue slowly and in a thin layer so that it doesn't sink into the sponge so much.

all rubber are sensitive to humidity in the end. that might be why it dropped off the first time you tried it too.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2009 at 3:10am
Here's an update to my strange X-plode experience. I bought some tear mender and reattached the rubber sheet to my blade and went to the club for a couple of hours tonight to hit with it. The good news is for the first half hour that Iplayed with it the playing characteristics were on par with what others had claimed about the rubber. I was happy to see that the throw angle was lower than tenergy and that I could smash with reasonable consistency, although my EGP is much better in this regard. However, after about 45 minutes I began to get some of the random responses - balls falling off the rubber while looping or leaving the rubber in a slow and dead fashion.

My best guess is that the humidity from the rainy weather along with me still not being able to achieve and optimal water glue job are the culprit to the problem. It seems that the X-plode rubber is sensitive to humidity at least more so than my EGP. At this point I don't think that the sheet is defective since it will perform normally for a while. I'm really tempted to clean off the blade and rubber and glue it on with rubber cement, because I never have any of these water glue problems when I use it. I don't play tournaments so the only reason I didn't use rubber cement initially is because I was afraid it might damage the rubber.

Thanks for the input guys, especially tpgh2k!
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 6:47pm
very strange indeed then....where did you buy the xplode from? directly from joolausa or from a reseller?

or was it a used sheet?
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 5:49pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try a new glue job and see if the results are different. It was a rainy day when I tried it, but my other rubbers Joola EGP and JO platin played normally.

T0 answer debraj's question: the throw was very non-linear.

In terms of the timing of my strokes, the other sheets on the blade were playing fine. I had another player try it (we're both in the 1800-2000 usatt range) and he had the same problems.

I'll see if I can get a good picture to post.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:32pm
to be honest blade....the only reason the ball should be going all over the place is b/c you're most likely not timing it right. the trajectory is about medium (bryce speed would be low). on that note, i prefer blocking with xplode on both wings more than bryce speed.

the rubber is most certainly grippy. i can spin the ball really well with it. i'm just using some x-glue to stick on the rubber. since you didn't know what kind of glue you were using, i'll assume that you didnt know how to apply it well enough to get a proper layer all over.

it sounds like your rubber had some dead spots (ie: some places didn't even stick).

take a picture of the rubber and i'll tell you if its defective or not. most likely it's just the same one everyone else uses and has no defects.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Blade Blade wrote:

The sponge is really, really porous� and kind of mushy. When I first tried to counter with it it was very slow. When I tried to loop with it the ball just fell into the net.� The top sheet is barely grippy. The throw seems totally erratic even while just counter hitting? It feels like the ball goes almost directly to the wood without really hitting into it. Are the sheets you other players are using like this?I usually use rubber cement to attach rubber to my blades, but I didn't want to take a chance on damaging this rubber so I used a water based glue� (some people say even the low voc content of rubber cement can damage these new rubbers).Is it possible it was just a bad glue job? I've never had any rubber play so strangely. I can send it back to the vendor for an exchange if I am willing to pay the shipping costs, but that's kind of a hassle. Should I try to glue it on again and give it another try or from what I've described does it sound like it's a defective sheet?Any thoughts would be appreciated!Blade

hmm...

did you mean the throw was unpredictable depending on the force you applied?...non-linear?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 11:27am
i would be using xplode on both sides of my YEO if i didn't like bw2 so much =p
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic