FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Designer's diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
Author
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2012 at 1:44am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

I have started a thread -- "Catapult" vs. "Trampoline" Effect  -- basically, I am wondering if different blades (thin, thick, balsa, composite) can generate speed/spin in different ways.  
      I would be interested in hearing your opinion on the topic, since you are an experienced blade designer.  
Thank you Smile
Thank you.
Actually, I'm not used to with terms in English, so I dont't think I can be a help for your thread.
But I think I need to start writing more with better plan.
And that would help you make your thoughts clearer.

I will try to make some more time to restart basic ideas about blade designing.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Sponsored Links

Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2012 at 6:59am
Nexy, I am really interested in an impact that a middle play of a blade makes on its characteristics; manufacturers seem to just put an ayous or kiri there while not giving it much thought, but with middle layer comprising like 80% of blade's weight I think it surely should matter what's in there.. Have you make some deeper studies on this subject?

Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 2:23am
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Nexy, I am really interested in an impact that a middle play of a blade makes on its characteristics; manufacturers seem to just put an ayous or kiri there while not giving it much thought, but with middle layer comprising like 80% of blade's weight I think it surely should matter what's in there.. Have you make some deeper studies on this subject?

The center wood influence on the whole. 
I found one wood that's really good, and I used it for hannibal, oscar, lissom, color, spear, spartacus.  
But I don't want to reveal it.
So, please, let me tell you more when it coems due in my mind.

With thanks, Oscar 
Brand Manager of NEXY
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 3:40am
Very interesting post about Ayous, and I understand you don't want to reveal the wood used in the core of most of your recent blades. But maybe you are willing to explain why in Calix you selected Kiri for the core instead of this "secret wood"?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 1:04pm

Haha, good arg0, now you are getting everyone interested to hear the story. I don't know myself, but i really played better TT a few months after using slower (slower than TBS) blades for a few months. Those times made me think more about placement and control, plus the blade itself forced me to make more positive strokes, that once I got back to using the TBS, I was killing the ball and controlling the ball when I had to. That was a huge difference. I do not know the core wood myself either, but I don't care so much. i had a great time using the Nexy gear, plus it was excellent help in my training/development.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 4:14pm
That Ayous Amazon sound very interesting, looking forward to pictures of the prototype 
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Very interesting post about Ayous, and I understand you don't want to reveal the wood used in the core of most of your recent blades. But maybe you are willing to explain why in Calix you selected Kiri for the core instead of this "secret wood"?

Thank you for the inquiry. 
I chose Kiri because I needed harder feeling for Calix. 
Calix is thin, so it does not need that lightness and wooden feeling much for the center wood, rather it needed more or less speed and power to it.

Brand Manager of NEXY
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2012 at 5:32pm
Any CALIX users here ? Is it good blade ?

Edited by melarimsa - 02/14/2012 at 5:33pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2012 at 7:01pm
It is a great blade!
See the official thread: mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2012 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Any CALIX users here ?...

... soon to be Wink
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2012 at 3:24am

Any CALIX users here ? Is it good blade ?

My current main blade. It's fantastic.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2012 at 6:45am
Melarimsa

The Calix gets my vote as the most versatile composite blade I've played with to date; because it has a wider dynamic speed range, than any other composite blade; I've played with before.The blades I'm referring to are the Timo Boll Spirit, Timo Boll ALC, Michael Maze, 729 V6, Galaxy T2, Galaxy K4, Andro Kinetic Carbo Aramid, Ishlion, Dawei Wavestone, Dawei GTO and Ulmo Rosewood Carbon.

It has a lower first gear more akin to a flexible 5 ply wooden blade; which makes it easier to control in the short game and it's just as fast as the Michael Maze; when you make use of  the blade's catapult effect; when playing with power and speed.

When playing with 2mm Vega Pro or 2mm Vega Europe on the backhand of the Calix; my angled drop shot, wide to the forehand of a right hander; is just as short and accurate, as when I play the same shot, with the OSP Expert or Stiga Offensive Classic WRB.

It is expensive; but it's still a blade that's worth checking out.

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2012 at 10:39am
...oh man, can't wait for mine to arrive!
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2012 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Melarimsa

The Calix gets my vote as the most versatile composite blade I've played with to date; because it has a wider dynamic speed range, than any other composite blade; I've played with before.The blades I'm referring to are the Timo Boll Spirit, Timo Boll ALC, Michael Maze, 729 V6, Galaxy T2, Galaxy K4, Andro Kinetic Carbo Aramid, Ishlion, Dawei Wavestone, Dawei GTO and Ulmo Rosewood Carbon.

It has a lower first gear more akin to a flexible 5 ply wooden blade; which makes it easier to control in the short game and it's just as fast as the Michael Maze; when you make use of  the blade's catapult effect; when playing with power and speed.

When playing with 2mm Vega Pro or 2mm Vega Europe on the backhand of the Calix; my angled drop shot, wide to the forehand of a right hander; is just as short and accurate, as when I play the same shot, with the OSP Expert or Stiga Offensive Classic WRB.

It is expensive; but it's still a blade that's worth checking out.

I am more of a defensive player, so I am thinking of trying Labyronthos as it does have one Carbon layer. I like Nittaku Monophonic, and wanted one to order from RL, but as of now he do not put any Carbon, GLas Fiber, Kevlar ... in his blades. So, my bet now is to try Labyrinthos ...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2012 at 11:04am

I am more of a defensive player, so I am thinking of trying Labyronthos as it does have one Carbon layer. I like Nittaku Monophonic, and wanted one to order from RL, but as of now he do not put any Carbon, GLas Fiber, Kevlar ... in his blades. So, my bet now is to try Labyrinthos ...

I haven't used Labyrinthos, but I can speak for the craftsmanship of Nexy's blades.  They are high-quality.

Earlier in this thread, Nexy mentioned that he has a new two-speed defensive blade coming soon called Tuvalu...
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I haven't used Labyrinthos, but I can speak for the craftsmanship of Nexy's blades.  They are high-quality.

Earlier in this thread, Nexy mentioned that he has a new two-speed defensive blade coming soon called Tuvalu...

Tubalu is becoming a headache for me.
If I try to use a new material, it asks me to test the durability.
So, testing new material takes much more longer time than I expected.
I hope I can finish the test soon... but it seems a kind of endless study.
Any how, I will get it done.
Thank you for your nice comment.

Brand Manager of NEXY
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 3:03am
Man, I'm gonna have to pop into Nexy's HQ after I get done with annual stuff here in Daegu. Hope he has a sheet of Aurus on one of his test blades...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Tubalu is becoming a headache for me.

Is it Tuvalu or Tubalu? Because there is a island country named Tuvalu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuvalu

and I don't think you want the troubles of dealing with the rights to use its name in a commercial product...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
szikorz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szikorz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 5:11pm
The thread on Ayous and its unique characteristics as of an blade´s inner ply reminds me a of the Clipper Wood. The Clipper Wood, out of all my blades, is the one with the best and most precise placement of the ball (remarkable especially in the push, block and counterattack). And, isn´t it, that the Clipper has Limba outer plies and another 5 inner Ayous plies? Indeed! So in this point of view, the thread on Ayous brings another new and extra valuable information on blade´s composition that I can personlly take as an empirically approved fact. Thanks. 

Concerning your testing of your new blades in the design process, Mr. Nexy - isn´t there some information on your method, that you can share with us ? For instance, do you use one type of univrsal rubbers when testing your new blade during the design process or do you have a special sets for particular type of blade, like for 5 ply allwood blades,  for carbon blades,  for 7 ply allwood blades etc?

Edited by szikorz - 02/29/2012 at 5:15pm
Stiga Clipper Wood CR WRB - Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 - Bh: Tibhar 5Q

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by szikorz szikorz wrote:

The thread on Ayous and its unique characteristics as of an blade´s inner ply reminds me a of the Clipper Wood. The Clipper Wood, out of all my blades, is the one with the best and most precise placement of the ball (remarkable especially in the push, block and counterattack). And, isn´t it, that the Clipper has Limba outer plies and another 5 inner Ayous plies? Indeed! So in this point of view, the thread on Ayous brings another new and extra valuable information on blade´s composition that I can personlly take as an empirically approved fact. Thanks. 

Concerning your testing of your new blades in the design process, Mr. Nexy - isn´t there some information on your method, that you can share with us ? For instance, do you use one type of univrsal rubbers when testing your new blade during the design process or do you have a special sets for particular type of blade, like for 5 ply allwood blades,  for carbon blades,  for 7 ply allwood blades etc?

szijorz : 

Did you compare your Clipper with any other 7 ply 7mm thick wood blade, which doesn't have ayous?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
szikorz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szikorz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 5:43pm
Debraj, why only 7 ply?

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 6:12pm
clipper is 7 ply right? ...

seven ply, thick wood blades do not flex much... which means:

- they are not bouncy at least not in short game, and great to push with
- when placing balls with them... since the flex is less, the blade remains flat ...and hence allows for more accurate ball placement. 
- same is true for blcosk... if the blade doesn't flex, and is not too springy, and is not too fast with composite layers... then they block better. and lower hold time doesn't allow the incoming spin to deflect return path too much.

so i don't see much "ayous magic"  there !! but its me... and i'm a skeptic  Wink 

vid1
Vid 2
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 9:46pm
Of course you can also push and block with a flexible blade on areas of the blade that don't flex much, most of those blades have hard and fast areas near the handle
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 7:35am
bluebucket

It's worth remembering that some players learn to play the game with a stiff blade; which means their timing and technique, is geared towards getting the best out of that type of blade.

In my experience; if you give a stiif blade to a player, whose learnt to play the game with a flexible blade; they tend to have a much easier time adapting their game; than if you give a flexible blade to a player, whose learnt to play the game with a stiff blade.

That's because playing consistently with a flexible blade requires learning an extra skill set, that isn't required when playing with a stiff blade and a timing adjustment, on some shots too; in order to take advantage of the catapult effect within a flexible blade.

szikorz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szikorz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 3:43pm
When I am thinking of relation between the blade´s stiffness and blade´s shot precisness, I figure out, that you are right, but I feel, there´s few words to be added.

The stability and constistancy of the blade coming from its stiffness may be a crucial reason for the ball´s exact placement in terms of the LENGHT of the shot. 

It certainly makes good 50 percent of that marvellous feeling of  the exact ball placement precisness: to have as many as possible shots landing in the desired distance.

But my concern on Ayous, based on the above article brought by Nexy, as I understood it, was more about the DIRECTION of the shots. 

This was what I understood and understand to be unique feature of Ayous that " Ayous has a focus. It absorbs and repel on the same spot." My understanding is, that Ayous is the right wood for the good directional placement of the ball - e.g. what you aim is what you get. 

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 5:45pm
yeah.. but try to do that with a thin 5-5.4mm ayous blade... and ayous will not be directional any more. 

on contrary play with schlager carbon ...balsa core ... and you will see balls reaching exactly when your want them.. although some of them would land farther due to the higher speed of the blade. 

" Ayous has a focus. It absorbs and repel on the same spot." ... 

frankly this is a big joke to me. if material science engineering was about mystic language... then save the world!! 

" i picked this alloy to design the boeing 777 because at the same time it floats and also brings the plane down, which helps in landing".... 

repel = elastic deformation ... i.e impact with low energy loss
absorb = in-elastic /plastic deformation ... i.e impact converts part of the kinetic energy into sound, heat and breaking of lattice... or creating lattice defects like 'dislocations'. 

i wish table tennis equipment talks, were about mechanics and material properties and  than fantasy literature ... 

its not developing a perfume... where you can describe  the smell by contradicting flowery terms.... and still nobody can prove you wrong. 

sorry if i sound severely skeptic... but i'm also a material science engineer. 

Edited by debraj - 03/01/2012 at 5:49pm
vid1
Vid 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 7:09pm
The only opinion I have after putting lots of blades together made from various woods is that Ayous is the nicest feeling core, Limba is the spinniest second ply and Koto is the best top ply. You don't have to think too hard about what is the best possible complete blade. Ayous as a second ply doesn't feel anywhere near as good as Limba on a second ply imho

Edited by bluebucket - 03/01/2012 at 7:10pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 8:25pm
most popular blades have kiri core ......like TBS, Strad.

the so called heavenly feel blades ......Violin(kiri core) , acoustic (tung ), viscaria (balsa).... ...don't have ayous in them.

Frankly, in my opinion, feeling depends way more on the blade thickness and core:outer ply ratios .... and to some extent on vague marketing literature... Clap 

...how the wood focuses the ball, then absorbs the ball and then changes its mind, and repels the ball etc....

Edited by debraj - 03/01/2012 at 8:29pm
vid1
Vid 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:00pm
Those heavenly feel blades are called that because they have a "buttery smooth" feel ie none :), that's a character of kiri cored blades and also to a lesser smooth extent basla.

If you are looking for feedback into the handle you really need Ayous, I used to like the smooth feel but never again after getting used to being able to feel the impact of the ball. A limba-limba-kiri blade like the acoustic feels nothing like a limba-limba-ayous blade. Performance is similar except the Ayous blade will be "tighter" and have 1000 times more ball feel

Edited by bluebucket - 03/01/2012 at 9:03pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 12:37pm
 Boss, if you mean to say ayous-core clipper has better ball feel than Violin or Viscaria, Stern SmileWackoStern Smile, i concede!!  

You win... Clap !!  

vid1
Vid 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
  Share Topic