Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring your topsheet with oil (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring your topsheet with oil (video)
    Posted: 07/29/2010 at 11:08pm
Has anybody tried this? If so how did it go?

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 11:27pm
Hmmm, never tried sunflower oil. But I've tried using parafin oil with liquid soap. Not more than 5 minutes time, become grippy again.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 12:01am
I've had some good results w/ olive oil.

I would say, try in the last month, or so, of your rubbers life.

Let us know if you get a good result.
Smile
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 12:04am
Cool! I look forward to trying all types!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 12:35am
I should add; I simply used a clean finger to apply spreading the excess evenly.
I ~do~ like his brush application but would think two, maybe three coats max should do it...
maybe just two good coats.

I think the results are going to vary a good deal depending on the rubbers being treated.
again
Good Luck & Good Hitting!

I'd love to know The Architect's findings!
Wink 
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

I'd love to know The Architect's findings!
Wink 

In concordance Wink
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 4:54pm
I've done it a couple of times to force out the last life of the rubber =)

Works pretty good, but I've only applied one layer, applied it with a cloth and left it to soak for ~30 minutes. Removed the excess oil and the bat was ready to play. Gives more grip to grippy rubbers and restores the tackiness to tacky rubbers. Makes it able to squeeze out an extra month of usage for the rubber.
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Works pretty good, but I've only applied one layer, applied it with a cloth and left it to soak for ~30 minutes. Removed the excess oil and the bat was ready to play. Gives more grip to grippy rubbers and restores the tackiness to tacky rubbers. Makes it able to squeeze out an extra month of usage for the rubber.

Such an application will subsequently only garner a systemic performance enhancement for a set period of time... ergo, the suggestion to "squeeze out an extra month of usage for the rubber" is concrdantly a "correct" one. In this time line & any time line!
NEXY Lissom st 85g
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 9:49pm
Would adding 5 coats of oil, change the weight up?. Has anyone weighed thier bats before and after?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 9:55pm
I can tell you it will make the bat heavier over time. My dad used to wipe his with corn oil all the time. When he died I got his bat. It weighed a ton! The sponge was soaked with oil. It does not evaporate like water does. It builds up.When I took the rubbers off, the wood even had oil soaked into it.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 10:29pm
Only water should be used on newer sheets and lamp oil should be used lightly when the sheet is getting older...and more and more lamp oil. it will really take dust off and give a lot of spin for a couple hours or so.
The advantage of lamp oil is that it evaporate really quickly and does not get detected by enez.
For the lovers of broken in Chinese tacky rubbers this is the way to go. It's funny I won't do that with Tenergy rubbers....It seems like the lamp oil helps only rubbers that are already cheap in the first place. Sounds logical to me LOL.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Such an application will subsequently only garner a systemic performance enhancement for a set period of time... ergo, the suggestion to "squeeze out an extra month of usage for the rubber" is concrdantly a "correct" one. In this time line & any time line!

Vis-à-vis more spin and cash flow... while this answer functions it is obviously fundamentally flawed thus creating the otherwise buzzing sound on the enez machine at tournaments.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:13am
Recently, I have found that buying a hew rubber is the best topsheet restoration.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:28am
at last somebody makes sense here
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Recently, I have found that buying a hew rubber is the best topsheet restoration.

Spoken like a man who's never tried what has been tried & is under consideration.
Wink
NEXY Lissom st 85g
SuperFX View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 3:09am
did this with my neo prov. worked like a charm....gave me two more months before switching to blue sponge g999 national..
Yinhe/galaxy/milkyway mc-2
H3 PRO 20# 39 deg permtuned
Haifu Shark II Factorytuned 2.2 -36
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 3:15am

Interesting... I've got an old Spin Art topsheet... care to help me restore it?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 9:15am
I usually wet sanded old dead topsheets with 1000 then 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper if I wasdesperate to get some more life from them before I could get new ones. Well these days I just buy new ones, but for many years I did this, I was able to get 3 years from a Chinese rubber no problem if I sanded the dead outer layer off it once each 12 months. 

But today for an experiment I took a 20 year old Double fish 815 that hasn't been used in more than 15 years. This rubber was probably the most tacky tacky rubber ever by the way :), anyway I sanded the oxide off it, bit of oil, bit of soap, bit more sanding. Bit of glue to re-awaken the sponge, Now it's gone from a dead mirror to holding a ball for more than 5 seconds, which isn't much different to the last time it was used. I'm so impressed I'm going to use it and see how a old time classic Chinese rubber compares to a modern rubber
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 9:41am
why do you try the rubber revitalizer Kenetix, it works really well for restoring and maintaining the topsheet, what i know is the compound is made from the same compaund they use to preserved the rubber before packaging, cant beat that
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Interesting... I've got an old Spin Art topsheet... care to help me restore it?

LOL
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:23pm
Unfortunately, my Spin Arts are sold. If you can wait more than a month I can assist you in getting a new one @ $48 + shipping.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2010 at 12:16am
Well thanks that's very generous of you! Seeming that Spin Art is $65 I can use any break to get a lower price!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2010 at 2:21am
The new price of Spin Art at Megaspin will be $78, I suppose.

Anyway, from time to time, I revitalize some rubbers with ordinary baby oil from our local producer. This seems to be a viable practice considering the new soaring height of BTY prices.

TB ALC with Memo 3 on BH is also a good revenge.

Edited by Imago - 08/01/2010 at 2:29am
yassermuslim View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 1:01pm
To achieve the best results you better do this exercise while the rubber is off the blade

Re,
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 9:07pm
Does some people also apply the oil to the sponge itself? I would like to know the effects of paraffin oil on rubbers like Hurricane...
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 9:42pm
Anyone add oil to tenergy 64?  My sheet is pretty dead now and I'm tempted to try it.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by pdotec pdotec wrote:

Anyone add oil to tenergy 64?  My sheet is pretty dead now and I'm tempted to try it.

I might try it when it gets older... If I don't sell it to a friend first (still not completely sold on T64 but I am warming up to it)

@glanden.zheng - I think peter79 has tuned some sheets with it before...

Edited by Thaidog - 08/03/2010 at 2:44am
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 3:23am
Tuning H3 neo provincial or national is a must. My H3 national neo blue sponge loose it's factory tune in 2 weeks. It become slow and I got frustrated. I tune it with baby oil at first, but the result isn't that great.

Later I tune it with Parafin oil, it has been more than 2 weeks now, still plays very well and hasn't slow down from the first time tuning.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 1:36am
mine h3 prov tuned once 2 months ago and still playing well. but has been bored so
switching to a blue sponge now.. yet to test in details. but from the way i can feel,
orange sponge is more bouncy.. should suit me more then the blue sponge. --- shall see...
sugengz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugengz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 2:34am
I put parafin oil on topsheet of my Neo H3C 40degree, just like the video on the first post....

After one time application, and let it dry (more precisely soaked), and the topsheet become softer and more elastic... Become a little bit tacky, but not as tacky as it was when I open it for the first time from the plastic pack.

It play much better than the brand new.

When I remove it from the blade, the rubber is dome a lot, it seems like the topsheet expand...
Pretty tough to reglue it with that condition. FYI: I use Haifu WBG.

After reglue, it still plays very good.

Over all, after the tuning on topsheet using Parafin oil, my Neo H3C, softer more elastic, no significant change on speed, but spin much better....

Worth to try (of course at your own risk... :D )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic