FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Galaxy Mercury II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 2:33pm

34 Deg M2 for my FH. I thought people use M2 as the FH??

Edited by dual700 - 05/02/2011 at 2:33pm
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 3:19pm
I was just letting you know because it's such a soft number :) who knows if that will work or not, I've never used such a soft rubber before on FH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 9:50am
I've played with the 34 degree M2, I like it. Spinny, pretty slow and good control. It's a great rubber for most players, probably not fast enough at a higher level though, the harder ones might be fast enough
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 10:03am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

34 Deg M2 for my FH. I thought people use M2 as the FH??

I tried both 37 and 34 deg.

34 deg bottoms out even at low power, so you will have less spin, not more. I see it as a backhand rubber for beginners.

37 deg bottoms out in loops at medium-high power. I see it as a good backhand rubber, very spinny. Also very good for forehand but only for spin-oriented loopers with a fast blade. not for hitters.

Edited by seguso - 05/28/2011 at 10:30am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:15pm
Had another session with M2 37deg red on FH. The sponge is still making a loud cracking sound when engaged. Some of the tack has went away and I feel I lost a tiny bit of spin. The tack won't catch the ball anymore.

I prefer my T05 for FH. The one thing that M2 is doing better is short pushing due to the tack and slower speed. T05 has more linearity and more top end spin/speed. The sponge feels much better and does not crack either.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:42pm
i compared 2 rubbers head to head on my F-1 blade, switching back and forth and judging the FH performance. And it was such a nice experience...

- mercury 2 - 37 degree black
- globe 999T with white (japanese?) sponge - black (marginally harder than mercury).. with one layer of Paraffin Oil tuning

both chinese, both black both tacky, both hardish sponged.... but playing characteristics markedly different.

M2-37 felt softer and i was getting the spin by digging the ball deep into the sponge. it was very like euro rubbers...even though it was tacky.
Speed was very nice... in fact i wasn't expecting this with the reviews here. And it was a little more cushioned safe feeling.
It was good on the table, but not as good as tuned 999T. Away from table it was little better ...but read on.

999T has evolved and is a much better rubber than the 999T i played 3 years back.
the first difference from M2 was the crisp feeling of a hard topsheet, giving more accurate feedback. less cushioning than M2, but i will argue do i need it close to table?
999T was as fast as M2 but may be a little faster on harder strokes. A well executed loop drive had way more punch than all the Tenergies , more like Palio Thors.
it was more little more reactive to incoming spin than the M2, but still less than tenergies.
Serves were awesome with 999T, but not bad with M2.
where it clearly outshines M2 is opening loop with significant power and spin. Now i know many guys here would feel M2 does that so well. Yes i agree, M2 37 degree is very good in opening loops; and even them 999T PO tuned is another step ahead.

i played with players mostly inferior to me...so i can't predict whether 999T will have issues while playing with higher rated players.

but the funniest thing happened when i decided to take 999T off the blade and paste my regular BH Palio Thor's on the other side of the Black M2 37 degree.

i played the first shot ... and i thought i may not have pasted the rubber correctly!!!
then i took it off and pasted again... and it was the same... M2 was a SLOTH. i struggled to get the ball to curve and hit the table!! it was miserable little piece of rubber....
i figured palio THors is way lighter than the 999T.. which probably resulted into this significant drop in speed due to lower weight of the racket.

i don't think M2 37 is viable for FH. may be i will try M2 41 sometimes... because otherwise it has some nice characteristics. For now i need to compare 999T with renanos hold head to head with a layer of PO; as a prospective FH rubber.

those who are struggling with H3 NEOs lack of speed, lack of pop, lack of tack etc etc... but still like that crisp hard topsheet feel and spin... should rather try 999T with a layer of tuning, instead of trying to re-tune H3 NEO. because that way it is way superior rubber than H3 NEO. Its a very mature topsheet, and responsive japanese sponge.

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 5:30pm
another thing on this rubber: the sponge cannot be tuned with paraffin oil. I tuned the sponge (37 deg) with two thin layers: speed increased only barely, and when I removed the rubber from the blade, it tore in many places. it is now full of cracks and unusable.

Edit: later the same happened with an untuned M2 37. The problem is not the tuning, it is that the sponge is very fragile, it cracks when removed.

Also one time a big bubble formed between the sponge and the topsheet.

Edited by seguso - 05/28/2011 at 10:35am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 6:08pm
Which 999T are you using? globe or three nine and which hardness?. Also with the rubbers on the other side I'm not convinced it's all about weight, I think the hardness and type of sponge effects the way the blade works more than the weight itself, although hardness and weight are related :).

I have some sheets of three nine in 45 degree, M2 is a nice rubber but it's a different kind of nice compared to three nine 45 degree because that's a really old school power rubber. M2 is more a finesse kind of rubber, very euro feeling for a tacky, euro in a Mark V Japan way :p way not a Thors way

Edited by bluebucket - 05/05/2011 at 6:09pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 6:20pm
999T i thought is only manufactured by globe. or is it not? the other 999 i knew was juic. 

i actually got this rubber for free, courtesy eacheng. when they shipped my 729 F-1 blade. It has a white sponge which has the same 'dough' like feel of M2. 

but the topsheet made me wonder... if i were to use a chinese type rubber and tune it myself, why would i ever use DHS NEO ??????  

i wish thors had the same topsheet.. with esn tensor technology. 
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 6:21pm
seguso.. i think 37 degree is pretty soft ... and with a tacky grippy topsheet if you make it any softer ... it is uncontrollable. 

may be you can tune the 41 degree M2, without detrimental effect. 

its the same reason why Palio Thors actually degrades in performance if you tune it. 

vid1
Vid 2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 6:36pm
I like the Mercury 2 topsheet but I wish the sponge was better. I may tune or speedglue later but I hope the sponge doesn't crumble on me. It sounds like it is brittle and dry. If this topsheet had say an ESN sponge, it would be a great rubber.

Debraj, can't you save the Thors sponge once the rubber wears out then put on a globe topsheet? That would probably be a great combo.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 6:39pm
Yes thee nine make what is basically the same topsheet  as globe apart from the brand name etc, same pimple structure etc but it's not made from the same rubber compound/ingredients so looks a bit different. Globe's 999 normally comes in a much softer sponge than the three nine, the standard issue three nine is 45 degree. There's a good picture of it from back in the day when the Chinese team used it...

Here

Edited by bluebucket - 05/05/2011 at 6:40pm
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 10:18pm
Mercury 2 is a decent rubber, but the sponge is kinda flimsy and fragile. It performs OK as long as it is not moved excessively from blade to blade.

Three nine (999T) have different sponges of different hardness 40-42, 42-44 and 44-45 as far as I've seen. Globe 999T of the same hardness has a softer topsheet, a softer sponge and is faster, has a better sound and lasts longer but has less control and is less sticky than 999T Three-Nine IMHO. I am not sure this is due to different rubber formulation, I think Globe and Three-Nine are targeted at different customers and thus quality control of Three-Nine is somewhat lacking.

999T is a very good rubber no doubt (esp. with speed glue, although it changes slightly after the ban)

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:39pm
The Mercury 2 topsheet is worth what I paid for the whole rubber. I think of the sponge comes as a bonus. Maybe the fellows that had their sponge crumble on them can reglue the top on to a different sponge and try it out.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Debraj, can't you save the Thors sponge once the rubber wears out then put on a globe topsheet? That would probably be a great combo.

dont think so... i am very convinced ESN rubbers are not about the sponge... (or not only about the sponge) but more to do with topsheets. that's the reason why when a new generation hits the market all the topsheets are similar...with diff pip structure and thickness.

plus the glue they use is stronger than the sponges... so if you want to take out the topsheet... there will be pieces of sponge stuck on the pips.

and lastly i am not really ga ga over the mercury topsheet.

vid1
Vid 2
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:28pm
You guys do realize that this is ONLY a $4 rubber, right?? Big smile
Just checking!!! LOLWink
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:44pm

Just checking!!! LOLWink
I need to keep reminding myself of that fact. It truly is the best bang for the buck. A great rubber for someone starting off assembling their first bat.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:52pm

Just checking!!! LOLWink

if i could have an extra rubber on my paddle i would keep it. 

but unfortunately $4 or $40 .... it's competing for only 2 spots one FH and one BH. 

vid1
Vid 2
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:05pm

Just checking!!! LOLWink
I need to keep reminding myself of that fact. It truly is the best bang for the buck. A great rubber for someone starting off assembling their first bat.

I think I'll try to take it beyond that. Big smile
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

[QUOTE=sweetstrike]
plus the glue they use is stronger than the sponges... so if you want to take out the topsheet... there will be pieces of sponge stuck on the pips.

If you want to take off the rubber from the blade for 3 consecutive times, WYSIWYG on the Moon. Craters.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:13pm
I agree with debraj, the trick with ESN is the top sheets, I've removed them roughly and they are stretchier and more elastic than anything else on the market by a long way, this is kind of always a good thing but I think they have to incorporate this goodness into a thicker sheet so that the rubber behaves more normally (normal amounts of stretch but far stronger rebound) that's what I think they should be doing anyway, then you should see them easily beat butterfly for spin and match them on control
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:42pm
ESN claims they are using 100% natural rubber for topsheets, while tenergies are 95% natural and 5% artificial (similar to Sriver I think). ESN topsheets are very grippy but they are more fragile than tenergy 05. Tenergy 05 seems to have just as much grip as the grippiest ESN sheets. I agree that ESN has the most elastic topsheets but maybe the 5% artificial rubber Butterfly uses is doing something with the underpip structure and making the interaction with the sponge a little more favorable? I'm also thinking that the 100% pure natural rubber claim is impossible, since at least 1 or 2% of that would need to be red or black colorant. If it was 100% rubber, it would have the color of a rubber band.

This is my source:
http://web.me.com/igsstern/tabletennis/Rubber_DB/Entries/2010/9/15_Butterfly_Tenergy_Series.html.
It is a great read on what Butterfly and ESN have been up to recently.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 4:41pm
good read.. but that's it. It's someones site.. someone's opinions. that's it. 

ESN claimed  to use 100% natural rubber only for the hexer generation rubbers. not earlier... and not for all rubbers later. 
vid1
Vid 2
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 4:47pm

Just checking!!! LOLWink
$6 to be exact.  Yes! 
This rubber is inexpensive and usable!

2 thumbs up for M2.   I love it!
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 4:50pm

ESN topsheets are very grippy

I tested the grip of a Palio Macro Era with my finger and the top sheet felt pretty slippery. It's only a couple of weeks old. Is it just the Palio? I heard all ESN rubbers are made from the same factory..
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

good read.. but that's it. It's someones site.. someone's opinions. that's it. 

ESN claimed  to use 100% natural rubber only for the hexer generation rubbers. not earlier... and not for all rubbers later. 
You are right, I can't find any claims of 100% natural rubber on any other ESN products.

edit: and whoops I went off topic again.

Edited by sweetstrike - 05/06/2011 at 5:54pm
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 10:42pm
Just tried the 36 degree Mercury 2 on FH, on a ZLC blade, indeed a nice rubber. Not as spinny compare to T05 but good enough for me.. 

Got this rubber used from my friend, who had used it for a couple of weeks already and it is still sticky. Any tip on removing the stickiness fast? Gathered that it is better when the stickiness is gone.

Edited by Antiq - 05/08/2011 at 11:31pm
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 11:29pm
Just found out that eacheng had the following hardness:

34, 36, 37, 38,  39, 40 , 41 degree, red or black.

Anybody tried the harder rubber, 38 to 41 degrees? Any review/comparision?

Edited by Antiq - 05/08/2011 at 11:31pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 1:35am
39 black looks harder than 41 red.
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Just found out that eacheng had the following hardness:

34, 36, 37, 38,  39, 40 , 41 degree, red or black.

Anybody tried the harder rubber, 38 to 41 degrees? Any review/comparision?

Anybody?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic