Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic Table Tennis Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by ttCrawsaive ttCrawsaive wrote:

But He Zhi Wen? Did he actually reach big titles?
When and why did he leave China?
He still plays great xD

He Zhiwen was in the Chinese team for the 85 and 87 Worlds, best result was a bronze in the MD.

Who was his doubles partner? I know Wei and Chen won the 87 worlds for doubles. 

In '85 he partnered Fan Changmao to the semi-final (and made the last 16 of the singles).
In '87 he partnered Jiang Jialiang to the QF, and He Zhili (that years women's world champion) in the Mixed, where they also made the QF.
I guess he left China, along with lots of others, when he lost his place in the National squad but was free to play abroad.

Interesting, I was curious to see who won the mixed doubles that year, and surprisingly it was Hui Jun (who I've never even heard of) and Geng Lijuan (runner up to Cao Yanhua in 85). I'm surprised He and He (haha) didn't win that year, considering she won singles and went undefeated in team events. 
Sponsored Links

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:15am
Hui Jun won the Asian Cup in '84, and was RU in the Asian Games in '86. I think Doubles was his speciality,he and Teng Yi won the Asian Games and Asian Champs in '86, but were surprised in the '87 Worlds by a pair from Taipei. He got to the last 8 of the singles without dropping a game but was blasted away by Jiang.
As to the Mixed Doubles, Hui and Geng beat He and He (hehe) in the QF. It was probably fixed; back then when China were so dominant, they liked to give as many people as possible a share of the medals, it seems.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2011 at 2:36am

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by DHSriver DHSriver wrote:

Great photos. Heard a lot about Zhuang Zedong, never seen his picture until now. BTY, of the 5 in the photo, which one is Zhuang Zedong. from L to R ?

From L:R

Zhuang Zedong, Xi Enting, Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, and the fifth I'm not sure. 

Um, that's not right-
From L to R- Zhuang Zedong, ZHANG XIELIN, Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, XU YINSHENG

Xi Enting came much later. This is the 1961 SC winning team.
I think this is the 1961 World Team Champ. (Beijing or Peking):

L to R:
Zhuang Zedong
Wang Chuanyao
Rong Guotuan
Li Furong
Xu Yinsheng

Wang like Zhuang is a 2 Wing (dual sided) attacker.

Edited by shaolinTT - 04/30/2011 at 2:41am
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:21am
That picture with China 1st/2nd/3rd in the women's singles (1988 Olympics in South Korea).
Jiao Zhimin got a bronze but she knew it would at least be a silver and possibly a gold.  She was told to lose in the semi-final.  A possible first ever Olympics TT Gold medal she was ordered to give up...Cry
A final between Chen Jing and Jiao Zhimin would have been more interesting and exciting.
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 6:38am
I don't think he'd won World's at this point.  Just an up-and-comer. Smile
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by shaolinTT shaolinTT wrote:

That picture with China 1st/2nd/3rd in the women's singles (1988 Olympics in South Korea).
Jiao Zhimin got a bronze but she knew it would at least be a silver and possibly a gold.  She was told to lose in the semi-final.  A possible first ever Olympics TT Gold medal she was ordered to give up...Cry
A final between Chen Jing and Jiao Zhimin would have been more interesting and exciting.

how do you know  that???  jiang jialiang lose to yu from china in 1989wttc would have been better  for china if jiang would have overcome  yu..how do you back those conspiracy?? hope soemthing better  than" my coach was a friend  of...""  ------>  one of the biggest lies heard in tt circles
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 3:12pm
This has been discussed recently. Jiao Zhimin was ordered to throw the Olympic semi; she says as much in a recent interview which ShaolinTT will remember the link for.
The reason was thus: in the '87 Worlds Jiao was surpirisingly beaten in the last 16 by Hrachova of Czechoslovakia. In Seoul Hrachova reached the semi-final to face Chen Jing. If Jiao beat Li Huifen in the other semi, she might end up facing Hrachova in the Final, and possibly lose again, so that China would lose the Gold despite having three semi-finalists.
So Jiao was ordered to lose. As it happened, Chen beat Hrachova comfortably, and eventually so did Jiao, in the Bronze match. Which must have really pissed her off, a hollow victory.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 5:01pm
Yeah, we can always add a lot of "ifs".
If He Zhili was allowed to play.
If Cao Yanhua did not quit TT abruptly at her prime.  She now says that looking back, she would have stayed on to play the 1st Olympics TT.
I am not saying Chen Jing doesn't deserve her Gold.  She is a great player.
All these ladies are great players and great people.  "If" they are players of today, be allowed to compete fairly, that would be nice!

Edited by shaolinTT - 05/05/2011 at 5:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic