Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palatinus OSP Expert ALL+ Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 4:45pm
@Jay, I am not sure if there is anyone after me on the list.  I will send the Expert to you next if no one else is in line behind me. 

@bluebucket,  I have a feeling my club mate will like this blade a lot.  he was talking about trying a different rubber besides the Calibra again.  He did try the Rakza 7 regular, but in Max, he might have a different feeling after trying it in 2.0 instead especially on the Expert......we shall see. 
Sponsored Links

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 5:33pm
I have Virtuoso OFF-. Seems a bit too fast and handle is too big. Can I try this one as well? Where is the list? What do I need to do?
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

@Jay, I am not sure if there is anyone after me on the list.  I will send the Expert to you next if no one else is in line behind me. 

@bluebucket,  I have a feeling my club mate will like this blade a lot.  he was talking about trying a different rubber besides the Calibra again.  He did try the Rakza 7 regular, but in Max, he might have a different feeling after trying it in 2.0 instead especially on the Expert......we shall see. 
We skipped arg0 because he said he is busy until September. So I would think that after Rich it would go as requested...Jay then assiduous and then probably to arg0.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

We skipped arg0 because he said he is busy until September. So I would think that after Rich it would go as requested...Jay then assiduous and then probably to arg0.

OK.  So I PMed Rich with my address info. I look forward to slapping some different hardbat rubbers on it.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 12:31am
nice! :)
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 1:00am
hardbat rubbers? Why would you rough up this beautiful blade?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 1:54am
Yes, thanks, September would be great. I also need to get my Virtuoso back, so that I can compare them.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 10:57am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I might try a virtuoso myself one day but I would try the large head version because the whip and change up in speed when I want it is a good thing for me. Icontek is your virtuoso the medium head? or large head?

I own two Virtuoso blades. One with S-size (157mm), one L-size (159mm). The difference in flex is minimal, but there is a difference. I like the L-size a tad more.

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Icontek is your virtuoso the medium head? or large head?

Afaik he has the original size, so it is large head.
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Why would anybody muffle its fine qualities with layers of mushy sponge?  :^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 11:28am
Correct. I have the original headsize; I haven't played with any other Virtuoso's, so I can't comment on how they play.

But the Virtuoso was enough to end my EJ'ing; it even stopped me buying different rubbers. I estimate that buying the Virtuoso saved me at least $500 in the past year.

The blade:
1 easy enough to use (a little bit more challenging than an allround blade)
2 feels great with the rubbers I picked (on the majority of shots i use)
3 is quality equipment that will last a solid 10 years (unless I start looping the table edge)
4 gives confidence that I will never "outgrow" it

And even with H3NP 38/2.15 and Acuda S3/2.0mm, (two medium heavy rubbers) the balance is still pretty good. Maybe a a little head heavy, but not nearly as pronounced as some of my previous setups (H3 2.1 and Mendo 2.0 on the Avalox BT550 for example).

However, I am wishing that H3NP was available in 38/2.0, and that I could find Acuda S3 1.8mm for less than $50 shipped. TTNPP's $33/2.0mm is hard to beat.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Why would anybody muffle its fine qualities with layers of mushy sponge?  :^)

LOL

PM received Jay!  

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 10:05am
Another review or comments:

After 3 good sessions with the Expert blade...I am starting to really like this thing!  Easily it allows me to play better than I ever have with any other setup by far.....I mean FAR!   I have ordered a Virtuoso with a slightly custom 103mm AN handle and will probably get it in another couple weeks.  I may just end up also ordering a Expert as well.  I really have to hand it to the OSP crew.....they make one incredible product for performance!!!   Can't wait to try the Virtuoso now. 

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 10:20am
It should be called OSP Expert (rating improver) Which Virtuoso did you order?
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I have ordered a Virtuoso with a slightly custom 103mm AN handle and will probably get it in another couple weeks. 

Sorry....forgot to put that there   I ordered the L one.  Wink

Edited by Rich215 - 08/15/2011 at 11:56am
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 11:56am
I've tried expert, virtuoso and musko. All of them are very very similar. thin but hard blades with fantastic ball feeling.  But I have to say I'm a bit surprised that all 3 of them are very similar in speed category. in my mind expert is a slow 0ff-, virtuoso is a fast off- and musko is a not so fast a off blade. I think even tb ALC is faster than musko... Maybe they should try a bit thicker but flexy blade. Same top and secondary ply but softer and thicker inner plies.  something like  clipper but crisper.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Maybe they should try a bit thicker but flexy blade. Same top and secondary ply but softer and thicker inner plies.  something like  clipper but crisper.

I will have to order one if that happens!

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 6:45pm
I spent an evening with a virtuoso tonight. Got it from a forum member here a few weeks ago, but tonight was my first chance to use it. Incredible touch over the table, and felt fantastic to use. Easily the best all wood I've ever used.

Didn't get along with the rubbers tho. Backhand was calibra sound, monster for hitting. Forehand was calibra, which didn't suit me. Will try 999 nat or H3NP next instead.

Short game control and blocking was the best I've ever experienced. Will hopefully stick with this for some time now, but still interested in the Expert...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 6:59pm
Pretty funny because I'm still interested in the Virtuoso... :) Given what I think is a finite chance to get blades of this standard I'm sure I'll order more of them and probably several of each in the coming months. The Expert is (and it seems the Virtuoso is similar) so far ahead of any other blade I've used it would be a monumental mistake not do that
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 6:08am
From my experience Expert and Virtuoso are totally different. If I should compare with well known blades Expert to Virtuoso is like Stiga OC to Korbel. Expert is medium hard, flexy, speed is right all+. Virtuoso  is much stiffer than Expert, medium soft, speed more OFF than OFF-.
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 7:53am
Originally posted by barnie barnie wrote:

From my experience Expert and Virtuoso are totally different. If I should compare with well known blades Expert to Virtuoso is like Stiga OC to Korbel. Expert is medium hard, flexy, speed is right all+. Virtuoso  is much stiffer than Expert, medium soft, speed more OFF than OFF-.

I'm confused. I have the original L size Virtuoso, and it seems to have some flex. I don't find it anywhere near OFF speed. For reference, the only OFF blades I've owned recently are a 1990's Clipper (slower than modern clippers, thinner, more flexy) and an Avalox Ma Wenge Carbon.

What size Virtuoso do you have?

When I tested the Expert, I did a side by side with my Virtuoso and my thin 1990's Clipper, here's what I saw:

Speed on Blocks
90s Clipper > Ma Wenge > Virtuoso > Expert

Speed on Smashes
90s Clipper > Ma Wenge > Virtuoso = Expert (Virtuoso easier to control placement)

Speed on Loopkills (drives)
Ma Wenge > 90s Clipper > Expert = Virtuoso (Expert had more spin)

Speed on over the table pushing
90s Clipper > Ma Wenge > Virtuoso = Expert

Speed on brushloops
90s Clipper > Ma Wenge > Virtuoso = Expert

I think Virtuoso is correctly labelled as OFF-, compared to many modern blades. Perhaps it's performance with different rubbers brings out different characteristics?

For example, on the Virtuoso, Acuda S3 is slow at many contact speeds, but is a a very fast rubber on the much stiffer Clipper.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 7:57am
My expert's head size was 157x150 mm(much smaller than regular) maybe thats why expert felt stiff and low throw to me...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 8:16am
I have both of them in 157 x 150.
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 8:52am
An Expert in 157mm isn't an Expert; it's a customized blade.

That size would drastically alter flex from the standard 160mm.

I have Virtuoso OFF-. Seems a bit too fast and handle is too big. Can I try this one as well? Where is the list? What do I need to do?

Would be curious if all the posters who are saying that Virtuoso is fast are using the 157mm (S) model.

Note:

The original design was the 159mm L, (for purposes of flex, higher throw, more catapult and bigger spin compared to similar designs) but so many people clamored for 157mm (TBS size) that Palatinus made that size, rather than have a bunch of folks hand-modify his design.

I amended my signature to show the L; I suggest that folks edit their posts to include that information, as that 2mm difference seems to affect feel greatly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 10:56am
I'd agree that's no longer an Expert, those extra couple mm of blade and rubber at full swing would add considerable swing weight and flex. It would change the feeling of the blade a lot
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 12:01pm
another +1 for that idea...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 2:46pm
I only modified my handle. Told them to make it wider. Now I wana hit my head against a brick wall.

Anyone wana trade? I have a straight Sq, with 30mm wide instead of 28mm. Everything else the same. Paper says 89 gr.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 2:47pm
Can someone pm me when it's my turn? I don't always remember to check this thread..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 2:52pm
assiduous, that's all talking about head size not the handle, 2mm on the handle wont do anything 
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 2:54pm
Is there a list for testing a cpen version of an OSP blade?
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 8:40am
So I've tested the Expert some hours and here my impressions.

Data according to the "birth certificate" which is supplied to each blade:
Thickness: 5.4mm
Weight: 88.9g
Handle: ELcon

The Expert has reminded me immediately of the P500. Those who have played with it may have a good impression of the Expert. I think it was in all aspects better than the P500.

• Vibrations can be felt clearly. But not uncomfortable, just as short to get a clear ball feddback.
  • Hard, clear and sharp ball feeling. Dark Limba outerply seems much harder than usual limba.
  • Fairly bouncy. Rebound effect is rather linear.
  • The Expert is rated as head-balanced, according to OSP. I found it was pretty balanced and minimal head-heavy, despite the slightly larger head size (with 2x Moon medium 2.1). The WSC was certainly much more head-heavy. Maybe the thicker Elcon handle gives a little more balance to the blade.
  • Ball throw is imho relatively high. I appreciate it a little higher than the Virtuoso, which I would class medium high. But I'm not an expert to determine this fine tuned
  • Ball feel and control in the short game is excellent. There it plays like an All+ blade.
  • Blocks, counterattacks and shots worked for such a bouncy blade very well. But it was not as precise as the stiffer Virtuoso.
  • Topspin is the top discipline of the Expert. The balls has more spin and a higher trajectory than with the Virtuoso.
  • Swinging harder the catapult effect is noticeable. Expert is clearly faster than a classic All + (my reference: Stiga AE). The speed is almost identical imho with the Virtuoso.
  • Craftmanship is, as always by Palatinus, first class.
Conclusion: Loopers who wants a springy offensive blade with great feeling and sharp contact touch will like the Expert.

But for me the Virtuoso remains the blade of my choice and I'll stick with it. I like it's dull, somewhat hollow feeling and the more stiffness and less bounciness compared to Expert. From the first hits I liked the Virtuoso and knew: this is my blade. Hug

Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic