FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Bw2:red sponge Review - Fruitloop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bw2:red sponge Review - Fruitloop
    Posted: 08/02/2011 at 12:42pm
1. The reviewer:
I'm from Australia so i do not have a usatt rating. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and I'm a two-winged looper. I have the bw2r "hard" which i think is 39-40 degree(?) in black on a timo boll spark. It's the tuned version. I'm using it on the forehand side.

2. Physical Properties:
It looks/feels like the original bw2 except with a deep red sponge. Topsheet slight tack like the original. Same tuning layer. The only difference i noticed was it felt slightly softer when you pressed down on it.

3. Speed:
- Speed on slow strokes - I was actually surprised by how fast this rubber was on slow strokes like counter-hitting. The rubber just seemed to exude power from the first ball I hit, even on my all-round blade. It wasn't overly fast like a bryce or even tenergy but just more than I had expected after my experience with the original bw2.
- Speed on power loops - Very, very good. Not much else I can say, it's just really good in this area.
- Speed on power drives/smashes - For smashing, this is the best traditional tacky chinese rubber that i've used. Drives and kill loops are every bit as good as the black sponge version. Best rubber i've played with in this area. Take this with a grain of salt though, as my technique has probably improved as well.

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loops - Like all tacky rubbers it's great in this area. It's definitely spinny enough for its speed but i do wish it had a little more spin (who doesn't wish they had more spin). It's not near hurricane levels of spin but still better than 95% of other rubbers. On par with tenergy imo.
- Spin on serves/pushes - Just like with loops i wish it was spinnier but serving was very easy and still loaded with spin. I felt heavily dug long pushes had a lot of spin and were very dangerous which i havn't exactly felt with other rubbers.

5. Control:
I think the control was the thing i was most impressed about with this rubber. Most notably the blocking. Being a little softer and bouncier blocking was a lot easier. Placement on loops i didn't find any harder than with any other rubber. Every shot went where I told it and the loops had enough dip to find the table. Short game was really strong as well. Short pushes were better than the original whale almost always 2 bounce not amazingly spinny but low and not attack-able. Aggressive flips were also really good with this rubber being a little bit bouncier once you engage the sponge. This isn't one of my best shots but the ones that went on were hard to deal with.

6. Other Playing properties:
Thow angle - i don't want to get flamed for the definition of throw angle but i struggled a little bit with the throw angle at first. On slow shots the throw was quite low and i'd frequently hit into the net and on faster shots i was hitting out of the table. This was mainly on the first open against no spin/backspin. At first i was perplexed but I adjusted and quite like it. The higher throw lets me hit lower over table balls with a more closed angle when i really want to hit hard making the shot almost unreturnable. In general, higher than bw2b but not as high as h3.

Sensitivity to spin - This rubber is actually really sensitive to incoming spin, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I feel that it gives me more options in terms of placement when in position. But out of position or even a misread of spin and you can send the ball off or into the net. Similar with most tacky style rubbers.

Sound/glue effect - I've never used speed glue so i can't really comment on the glue effect. Being a chinese rubber it doesn't make a lot of sound but when you loop hard it does make quite a big sound, akin to the old bw2. With the timobollspark it's a sortof "cork-ish" sound.

Bottoming out - Only happened once or twice when i was far off the table and really ripping into the ball. Pretty much non existent issue.

7. Reference: I felt the best reference point for this rubber would be the original whale and hurricane 3 pro neo. Probably the 2 rubbers i've used the most in recent times. To start with whale 2 black sponge. Red sponge is better. Fullstop. It's fixed the weight issue, everything else is better apart from the ability to hit the biggest booming forehand you've ever seen. If you want to hit those, stick with the whale 2. If you want to win matches and use a bw2, chose the red sponge.
In regards to hurricane 3. I've always felt as though h3 has more point "opportunity" whereas bw2 has a point "conversion" power. By this i mean h3 has better tools and advantage to get into control of a rally or have a chance to win the point outright but bw2 has more finishing power and it's easier to stay in control of the rally and finish the point easier. With the red sponge i think haifu have bridged the "opportunity" chance closer to h3. To this point i felt h3 was better, now i'm leaning more in favour of bw2r.

8. Other comments
Bw2r is amazing for counter looping. Close table, mid range. Hands down best rubber I've used for this. From far, best chinese rubber i've used. Side spin loops are also really impressive.

Please be kind, this is my first review(i think). Any feedback and constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged. I'll try to answer any questions. Hope you enjoy the rubber as much as I have so far Big smile

Edited by Fruit loop - 08/02/2011 at 12:48pm
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 12:54pm
Thanks.. this review made me want to try a chinese rubber after more than 15 years using Euro/Jap rubbers both sides.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Thanks.. this review made me want to try a chinese rubber after more than 15 years using Euro/Jap rubbers both sides.

Haha sorry. I promise I don't work for haifu or mytt LOL
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 1:56pm
Woot. Nice review.

Mytt.com is out of stock :(
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 2:29pm
that's a great review. I'd agree whole heartedly with what you said.

I was going to buy some more for my Defense II, but unfortunately according to icontek it's out.

damn.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 2:40pm
Nice review.  I concur with OP on the review of this rubber.  However, I find that the spin is very good, but it could be because mine is medium sponge, and I play on a rather soft but stiff blade, so I was able to engage the sponge more to generate spin.  I love the old BWII, but wish it's a bit lighter, so this upgraded one has everything I need (lighter weight), and more (speed).
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Nice review.  I concur with OP on the review of this rubber.  However, I find that the spin is very good, but it could be because mine is medium sponge, and I play on a rather soft but stiff blade, so I was able to engage the sponge more to generate spin.  I love the old BWII, but wish it's a bit lighter, so this upgraded one has everything I need (lighter weight), and more (speed).

It is spinny! I said it was on par with t05. how much more do you want!?

and beeray, i got mine from ttnpp
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 3:08pm
Wow you're review has convinced me this going to be my new forehand rubber. I was looking for something that's good for looping and flat hitting.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 11:03pm
I would get it from ttnpp, but I like picking my hardness vs. getting 'medium' or 'hard' because the 39dg one I played was great.
tianhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tianhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 11:37pm
how about the weight? is it heavier or lighter than h3 pro neo or tenergy05?
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 11:43pm
I am using BWII redsponge and Tin Arc 3.  I really like both of them.  BWII redsponge is a bit faster and spinner than Tin Arc 3 or H3 Neo.  I feel BWII redsponge is also spinner than Tenergy 05.  

Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 12:09am
Originally posted by tianhai tianhai wrote:

how about the weight? is it heavier or lighter than h3 pro neo or tenergy05?

I didn't weigh it but it's definitely heavier than h3. at most 1-2 grams but i could feel it was slightly heavier when i picked up my blade. It's pretty much the same tho.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
ttran82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttran82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 1:01am
Very good review.  Similar to my story.  I've been playing TT less than 3 years ago.  My FH rubber of choice changed from NEO H3 -> Neo TG2 -> BW2 -> BW2R and I had almost the same feeling.  I feel that even though NEo rubbers can finish the point faster in loop kills and spins, but BW overall is just more complete especially for developing different skills and stills can the power loops and kills when need it.  It seemed to be very durable so far as well.  
tianhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tianhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 1:21am
thanks a lot. you can try tin arc 1 too. i have been using it for the past 2 months. My previous rubber was Palio Thors. Tin Arc 1 is very good. Will try bw2 red sponge next to decide on which rubber to be for me for the rest of 2011.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 9:35am
I will try and comment on durability as i continue to play with this rubber. I think this is where the rubber might come up a little short.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 12:26pm

I think If a rubber performs as well as this one and only lasts 4-6 weeks, it's still worth it. I'm pretty sure it will last at least a couple months when it comes to durability though.

PedramTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedramTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 4:06am
does anyone know the official website of Haifu Factory

I coudnt find it with google
    The movement which is the existence of the universe is the movement of love.

Ibn 'Arabi, Fusûs al-Hikam
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 10:02am
To all BW2 red sponge users,

Do you only put waterbased glue on the blade or also on the rubber when glueing this rubber?

I'm afraid that if I only put glue on the blade that the bond is not strong enough and the rubber will play differently.

Edited by Skyline - 08/06/2011 at 10:03am
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I would get it from ttnpp, but I like picking my hardness vs. getting 'medium' or 'hard' because the 39dg one I played was great.

I agree too, unfortunately 35 through 41 hardness was the first batch that was offered by Haifu, just like the black sponge, they offered so many different hardness ratings that it caused people to stay away from the rubber because of too high of a cost to find the perfect hardness for their style.

All future batches are only availble in soft, medium, or hard. 35-37 is soft, 38-39 is medium, and 40-41 is hard.

Btw, the black sponge BW2 is being phased out of production so the red sponge will be replacing it as the new lead for the product line.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2011 at 2:38am
that's unfortunate, I like 39 more than I like 38 for sure, but it sounds like it's going to vary now.

good to see you post, albert :)
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 2:45am
I got my 36 degree last month..
Roughly had 40 matches (giant RR, 3 events tourneys, and regular plays) and I rotated it to different bats. So far so good. No complains. It's a keeper.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 3:17am
I will say the key is to keep the tuning layer on. It really is no good without it.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

To all BW2 red sponge users,

Do you only put waterbased glue on the blade or also on the rubber when glueing this rubber?

I'm afraid that if I only put glue on the blade that the bond is not strong enough and the rubber will play differently.

only on blade is just fine. There's already like 10 layers of water glue on the rubber no need for more, its tack dry just like if you were to glue it and let it dry your self.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 4:24pm
Just an update to my review.

Although quite delayed in this update, i found that the tuning effect or just the general top performance of this rubber really dies after about 10 days. This is a pretty huge deal considered i don't have the luxury of changing my rubber more than every 2 months. After the tuning wears off the rubber is still "good" but not amazing. Since i use a slow blade i found that i was struggling a little bit once the rubber lost it's tuning or new rubber effect.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 10:01pm
That's sad really. A product that costs 2$ to make, costs 30+ and needs to be replaced monthly.

I'm starting to sympathize with people who self tune; buying your factory tuning is cost prohibitive.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

That's sad really. A product that costs 2$ to make, costs 30+ and needs to be replaced monthly.

I'm starting to sympathize with people who self tune; buying your factory tuning is cost prohibitive.

I'm finding it really hard using chinese rubber for this exact reason. It's difficult to play with them untuned and i struggle a lot with my game when they lose their edge. maybe i just have to learn a bit more finesse in my game :]
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 11:38pm
I dunno guys, mines are still great.. Way over 1 month, I even peeled the tuning layer off one and transferred it to different bats and still impressed by it. Speed and spin doesn't change one bit. I dunno....Big smile
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2011 at 2:16am
once that tuning layer is gone the rubber is crap to me. It loses it's pop and feel.

That's why I'm trying so hard to make myself the right tuner.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2011 at 5:12am
So in your opinion fruitloop BW2 red is only better than H3 prov for the first month (or 10 days)? And after that H3 prov is better?

Maybe this only applies to the harder sponges, maybe 37 or 38 is ok for longer?

Edited by Vassily - 08/31/2011 at 5:13am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

So in your opinion fruitloop BW2 red is only better than H3 prov for the first month (or 10 days)? And after that H3 prov is better?

Maybe this only applies to the harder sponges, maybe 37 or 38 is ok for longer?

Pretty much what i'm getting at.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic