Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

If an electrical fire broke out, I would want my balls to be as far away from anything that can be damaged as possible. They are a risk in a fire.  There.

Normal storage of celluloid balls is always possible, hence your insurance risk lie, sorry, your insurance risk conjecture is a l..., sorry, a mistake. Better now?

I am rendered speechless by your madness.  I find you to be childish, offensive, and really very difficult to understand.  I can see why many avoid trying to start any kind of dialog with you now.

If you can't see why a flammable material is a higher risk in a fire than a non-flammable material then I suggest you spend less time on this forum and more time at school.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 12:45pm
IMO Our problem here is that Mastermind and J-bo are school-kids (i guess 10,11 years old) who dont have the knowledge or ability to discuss in an adult way.
And probably they are getting a childish thrill from being rude to adults in a way their teachers or parents would never allow.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 12:53pm

If you can't see why a flammable material is a higher risk in a fire than a non-flammable material...

Your point was that insurances see it somehow as a higher risk and charge therefore more. Then you said you had no proof. You was trying to sell a fiction as a fact, as I see it.

With regards to celluloid balls people are interested in facts, I guess, and care about your fantasizing about unsurance policies very little.

You have no facts.

Plus, your conjuncture about insurance is absurd, because, as I said, normal safe storage of celluloid balls is always possible, it does not require any special treatment or special facilities etc.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

IMO Our problem here is that Mastermind and J-bo are school-kids

Well, to me the problem here is that some people try to shift the focus from the "celluloid ban" lie and based on this lie BoD decision to lies, sorry, conjectures about celluloid balls getting burned when put on fire.

Very clever but still transparent.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:10pm
and how old are you?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:17pm

I think stop is not the word. Rather that significant savings on fire insurance and therefore profits can be made by using a different material. In view of the size of the tt ball market these are big numbers which make the cost of investing in new technology easy to bear

The retail price of celluloid ping-pong balls ranges from about 20 cents each to ten times that at $2 each.  That suggests that the fire insurance and similar hazards costs per ball must be on the order of pennies per ball and at worst might represent 1-2% of the ball's cost.  Compare that to the cost of retooling and developing new manufacturing schemes. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:27pm

[QUOTE=Tinykin]
To say there is "zero risk" in TT ball storage when they are clearly flammable is just incorrect.

Of course there is risk.  They are flammable.  There's risk to storing paper as well. But ping-pong balls don't sweat nitroglycerin and become unstable and they don't ignite explosively. So the dynamite comparison is very poor.

To answer Tinykin, I'm pretty sure that table tennis balls burn a bit more rapidly than loose paper. OTOH, they don't have a lot of BTU generating potential for a given volume since they are hollow. They need something very close to an open flame in order to ignite.  I couldn't ignite one with the Arizona sun and a 2" magnifying glass. They also extinguish with water.

So stored in a warehouse or in any other such ordinary way, they don't represent much real hazard at all.  The problem is that they are made of celluloid and the classification of celluloid doesn't account for the variety of products and nitrate content in different forms of celluloid - probably because there are so few celluloid products made these days.  So some companies and authorities may over-estimate the real hazard.

Edited by wturber - 12/31/2012 at 9:37pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I think stop is not the word. Rather that significant savings on fire insurance and therefore profits can be made by using a different material. In view of the size of the tt ball market these are big numbers which make the cost of investing in new technology easy to bear
The retail price of celluloid ping-pong balls ranges from about 20 cents each to ten times that at $2 each.  That suggests that the fire insurance and similar hazards costs per ball must be on the order of pennies per ball and at worst might represent 1-2% of the ball's cost.  Compare that to the cost of retooling and developing new manufacturing schemes. 

Whatever the percetage is, if you bear in mind the size of the tt ball market and its likely longevity, you are still talking about very big bucks, whereas the design and retooling costs are non repeating costs, so that it seems to be a winning proposition
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:30pm
Jay, yesterday I pasted a link to a previous thread in which you weighed in on celluloid manufacturing.  Is it still your contention that TT ball manufacturers are not going to have problems obtaining cellulose or nitrocellulose?  With some cursory searching I found many manufacturers selling the stuff in 450 kg drums --Dow includes a 45 pg brochure on safe handling procedures -- and could find no mention of any impending ban on manufacturing.  I suspect, though that you know a great deal more about this than I do, given your background and the pretty minimal effort I put into it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:34pm

So some companies and authorities may over-estimate the real hazard.

Welcome into the trap, Wturber.

He has no facts. "May over-estimate" is as worth discussing as "the Earth may stop spinning".
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:34pm

Sensible insurance companies will take this into account.  Sensible people also take this into account (I store my bulk TT balls in my garage, away from any potential flashpoints).  If a poly ball was non-flammable, I would worry a bit less about storing them in my home, and insurance premiums could be theoretically negotiated down for mass storage.

I store my bulk TT balls in the same closet where I store wrapping paper.  The risk of fire from the TT balls stored this way is essentially zero.  Storing them in the garage exposes them to summer heat which would cause the camphor to gas off possibly causing the balls to become less durable.  I live in a desert where the garage gets hot (over 100 F) in the summer.

Household items like rubbing alcohol, rubber cement, aerosol cans, water heaters, clothes driers, fireplaces, live Christmas trees and so forth are much bigger real hazards than TT balls.

Edited by wturber - 12/31/2012 at 9:51pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:35pm
It also occurs to me that plastics manufacturing has its own ongoing costs that might be higher than celluloid.  It depends on costs of raw materials and also waste disposal.  I could see how these might be considerably higher.  Also, the liquid reagents needed for polyball manufacture could be more flammable.  It's not obvious without knowing a great deal more than any of us seem to know about how manufacturers are making the new balls.    
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Jay, yesterday I pasted a link to a previous thread in which you weighed in on celluloid manufacturing.  Is it still your contention that TT ball manufacturers are not going to have problems obtaining cellulose or nitrocellulose?  With some cursory searching I found many manufacturers selling the stuff in 450 kg drums --Dow includes a 45 pg brochure on safe handling procedures -- and could find no mention of any impending ban on manufacturing.  I suspect, though that you know a great deal more about this than I do, given your background and the pretty minimal effort I put into it.

A 45 page brochure on safety procedures does seem to support the idea that TT might be better off using a safer material for balls!!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:42pm

If you can't see why a flammable material is a higher risk in a fire than a non-flammable material then I suggest you spend less time on this forum and more time at school.

But why only consider fire risk?  A non-flammable material can be very high risk.  Vastly more children die in bucket drowning accidents in any give year than die from TT balls.  There is no impending ban on buckets though.

It is easy to focus on some small aspect of something and lose focus on the larger and more important picture.  It seems to me that the ITTF has tried (and apparently succeeded) in doing just that based on some of the posts that I see online.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:43pm
Depends on what the alternative materials are!  Safety issues abound for any manufacturing process that uses organic solvents and materials.  Also, manufacturer's data safety sheets that come with pretty much all chemicals are fairly ridiculously wordy. 

Anyway, count me firmly in the camp of those who do not believe the explanation provided by ITTF for new balls.  Again, as I said somewhere else, I hope the new balls don't suck in terms of performance, price, durability.  But I am not optimistic.  

Edited by Baal - 12/31/2012 at 1:46pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:46pm

Whatever the percetage is, if you bear in mind the size of the tt ball market and its likely longevity, you are still talking about very big bucks, whereas the design and retooling costs are non repeating costs, so that it seems to be a winning proposition

So no matter what the cost is, it's too much and retooling would be "win"?  Wow.  That's amazing logic.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:47pm

But why only consider fire risk?  A non-flammable material can be very high risk.  Vastly more children die in bucket drowning accidents in any give year than die from TT balls.  There is no impending ban on buckets though. It is easy to focus on some small aspect of something and lose focus on the larger and more important picture.  It seems to me that the ITTF has tried (and apparently succeeded) in doing just that based on some of the posts that I see online.

Because flammability IS the risk associated with celluloid.
drowning doesntt come into it!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:48pm

I'm not an expert.  I merely researched the issue.  I've found no evidence that manufacturers would have a problem obtaining either cellulose (extremely abundant) or nitrocellulose (manufactured by many companies) for a variety of products. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:49pm
I still believe the new balls mean that (1) certain people in ITTF are trying to change the way the game is played for reasons that are only known to themselves, and/or (2) someone with the ability to strongly influence these rules is going to make money because of the change.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:50pm

But why only consider fire risk?  A non-flammable material can be very high risk.  Vastly more children die in bucket drowning accidents in any give year than die from TT balls.  There is no impending ban on buckets though. It is easy to focus on some small aspect of something and lose focus on the larger and more important picture.  It seems to me that the ITTF has tried (and apparently succeeded) in doing just that based on some of the posts that I see online.

You are assuming that the materials that would be used in making polyballs would not have fire risk.  Why?
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 1:57pm

A 45 page brochure on safety procedures does seem to support the idea that TT might be better off using a safer material for balls!!

Not really.  You need to evaluate the safety of the process, the end product and its use, not merely one component of it when shipped in huge drums as chips.  Keep in mind that most of us travel regularly in cars with enough gasoline in them to make the fire hazard of a TT ball seem like a tiny spark.

A better way to think about it is to ask how many people are harmed by TT balls or the making of TT balls. You will find almost zero.  Unfortunately, it isn't zero.  There was a factory fire where workers died.  But do you blame the celluloid or the locked doors that trapped the workers?  I'm going with the locked doors.  I'm with you if you want to campaign for unlocked exit doors in factories.  What a sad world if we went about eliminating all products that had any fire hazard.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:00pm

It did when someone introduced the comparison to bottles of water.

The key with the flammability of TT balls is to deal with the real risk.  But few seem to do that.  Instead we have hyperbolic comparisons to dynamite.  The real risk is pretty obviously very low.  Lower than for water or even for eating.

Further, we are pretty darned good at dealing with fire risks - especially in industrial settings.  A huge amount of what we do and make involves real fire risks.

Edited by wturber - 12/31/2012 at 9:54pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:11pm

So no matter what the cost is, it's too much and retooling would be "win"?  Wow.  That's amazing logic.

I am disappointed in you mr Turber. My point is that over time, because TT is not going to go away anytime soon, profits will be very large. On the other hand the retooling costs will be insignificant when compared with those profits.
If tt was a sport with no future it would be different and such investment would not be viable.
By the way do you have a personal axe to grind, in relation to TT retaining celluloid as its ball material?

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 12/31/2012 at 4:04pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:19pm

I am disappointed in you mr Turber. My point is that over time, because TT is not going to go away anytime soon, profits will be very large. On the other hand the retooling costs will be insignificant when compared with those profits.
If tt was a sport with no future it would be different and such investment would be viable.
By the way do you have a personal axe to grind, in relation to TT retaining celluloid as its ball material?

Disappointed?  Why?  That's your logic.  No matter how small, the hazard cost is too great.  That's what you said. "Whatever the percentage is ..."

People don't invest large sums of capital in pursuit of such small gains.  That is almost surely why they didn't do this without the urging and "support" of the ITTF.

I have no axe to grind.  In fact, I like the idea of a seamless ball.  I just don't like the way that this agenda is being pushed with misinformation and strong evidence for the existence of unstated agendas.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:23pm

You are assuming that the materials that would be used in making polyballs would not have fire risk.  Why?

Hi Baal
My stance is based on the idea that the poly ball material has been chosen with a view to reducing the tt balls 'Hazardous Material profile'(flammable or otherwise). If it turns out that it has a 'significant Hazardous Material Profile' I would be in line to condemn it, but so far I have not heard of such an issue.
Do you have info you want to share?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:23pm
If you don't know what the new process is, how can you say what the retooling costs might be?  Or what new hazards emerge?  And then there is the effect it may have on the sport itself.  In the end, maybe we will like the outcome.  All indications are, though, that they are back to the drawing board.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:33pm

If you don't know what the new process is, how can you say what the retooling costs might be?  Or what new hazards emerge?  And then there is the effect it may have on the sport itself.  In the end, maybe we will like the outcome.  All indications are, though, that they are back to the drawing board.

hi again
Like you I suspect I have to wait and see what the engineers do with those patents, and trust the judgement call of the engineers and financiers who have decided its a viable project. But from a laymans perspective the process seems very similar in scope to the manufacture of the celluloid balls (using molds etc). My take on it is
that a culture that can produce moon rockets and formula 1 cars should be able to manage pvc tt balls.
Perhaps i am more optimistic than some others in this thread.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:35pm

Hi Baal
My stance is based on the idea that the poly ball material has been chosen with a view to reducing the tt balls 'Hazardous Material profile'(flammable or otherwise). If it turns out that it has a 'significant Hazardous Material Profile' I would be in line to condemn it, but so far I have not heard of such an issue.
Do you have info you want to share?

My information is based only on the organic chemistry courses I took as an undergraduate, and based on that I know the factories will have to use all kinds of dangerous stuff -- solvents and other raw materials -- to make these new plastic balls.  They will also have many dangerous wastes to dispose.  This I know.  All of this is perfectly manageable of course, that's why there is a plastics industry.  But this is also true with current processes.  I am certainly not in the least bit concerned with the "flammability" of current balls.  Seriously. They do not spontaneously combust!!!!!!  I reserve judgement on how the new balls will play until we all get some, but there are many reports that they are giving up on the seamless design.  I am concerned that the new balls will be bigger.  I am concerned that they will cost much more.  They will be less porous, and will therefore move through the air a bit differently, and also react to the table differently.  So I wait and see, maybe we will like it eventually.

It may be that new companies will move into the manufacture of balls, which could be a good thing, but remains to be seen.  In the end, though, I am struck by the fact that the justification given by ITTF does not seem to hold water.  Bear in mind that flammability was not one of them.  So I distrust their motives.   

Edited by Baal - 12/31/2012 at 2:36pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:51pm

My take on it is  that a culture that can produce moon rockets and formula 1 cars should be able to manage pvc tt balls.

My take on it is that a culture that managed with celluloid TT balls for more than a century with almost no safety problems can probably manage to do so for another century or so- probably with an even better safety record.  But maybe I'm just too simple in my thinking compared to some others in this thread.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2012 at 2:55pm

My take on it is  that a culture that can produce moon rockets and formula 1 cars should be able to manage pvc tt balls.

My take on it is that a culture that managed with celluloid TT balls for more than a century with almost no safety problems can probably manage to do so for another century or so- probably with an even better safety record.  But maybe I'm just too simple in my thinking compared to some others in this thread.

My feelings exactly.  So I ask, what would motivate a change?  I suggest two reasons: (1) you want to change the way the game is played, or (2) you can find a way to make money by railroading the change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic