Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boosters/Tuners: Your Results!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by spin_whisperer spin_whisperer wrote:

Oh ok..that makes sense. I boosted a few lol!. H3 neo, Bluefire M1 and M2, T64, Red Diamond, Venus 2, Hammond Pro Beta, I think that's it. I just wanted to experiment for fun and make some of the rubbers bigger because a few shrunk during use.

How is M1 responded and what did you use?
thx
Sponsored Links

osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 6:23pm
Spoke with someone who is elite player he told me that almost every top player uses booster.So if they do it then anyone may do it :)
chinoxcuevas View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinoxcuevas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Falco on T05, just one layer when new or used.

and for donic bluefire m2? 
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by chinoxcuevas chinoxcuevas wrote:

Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Falco on T05, just one layer when new or used.

and for donic bluefire m2? 

Never tried this rubber.

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 11:10pm
Works well too. 2 layers with a good dome

RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 7:26am
Hey all.

Got myself some cheapy sheets of commercial H3Neo, so I thought I'd experiment a little. I have one 2.15mm 40deg, and one 2.0mm 39deg. Both had 2 coats of Falco Long - 1st coat, wait 24 hours, 2nd coat. Today is day 3.

The dome on the 40deg one is massive. The sponge doesn't seem to have softened too much, but it is noticeable.

The dome on the 39deg one is limp and flaccid in comparison. The sponge has become extremely soft.

It's early days, but the 2.0mm 39deg sheet isn't looking too good...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 8:03am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hey all.

Got myself some cheapy sheets of commercial H3Neo, so I thought I'd experiment a little. I have one 2.15mm 40deg, and one 2.0mm 39deg. Both had 2 coats of Falco Long - 1st coat, wait 24 hours, 2nd coat. Today is day 3.

The dome on the 40deg one is massive. The sponge doesn't seem to have softened too much, but it is noticeable.

The dome on the 39deg one is limp and flaccid in comparison. The sponge has become extremely soft.

It's early days, but the 2.0mm 39deg sheet isn't looking too good...

I have also tuned a H3 Neo 39 deg commercial 2.15mm with Falco but I have not got round to testing it extensively yet. I am looking forward to your findings.

On another note but loosely related to tuning or the lack of it. My intention is not to start a flamewar only to share my experiences...

So I managed to have a hit with a pro T05 2.1 and BF M2 max this weekend. Sadly / shockingly, although their feel is similar, the brand new BF was nowhere near the speed of the T05. On fast loops, the T05 produced a like 30-40% faster ball, carrying extremely good spin. I did not have to hold myself back with the strokes I used. The curve was awesome. It made all rubbers I have previously tried look like a toy - what a shame on other manufacturers that they have not managed to come up with a rubber that can achieve this. And according to the bloke who owns that T05 it was not tuned.

My regular practice partner looped at me with it and his loops were noticeably faster and more dangerous although he does not have a really hefty FH loop stroke. He uses BF JP01 on both sides.

After this experience I no longer see a point in buying ESN rubbers as long as they do not raise their standard. Currently they still have some catching up to do.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:03am
Hmmm, well. It's a bit OT, but...

"Pro" status aside, I still think T05 is the best rubber available for a certain style of play, even after all these years. I don't use it because:

Expensive.
Initial "wow" factor from new disappears after a few weeks.
Mighty loop/counter winners, but many mistakes in short game/blocks.

ESN have gone in a different direction recently. I find most of their stuff these days to be incredibly easy to use, and durable too. In the absence of any time to train and adapt to T05 properly, I prefer ESN because I can get on and play at a reasonable standard. And I can get my rubber setup for half the price of a pair of T05s (without going all round the houses to get around Butterfly's shipping restrictions).

This is just a personal opinion, of course, and won't apply to everyone. Get to a high enough level, and T05 is probably more suited to most players' games.

That said, I'm still interested in trying 80-fx when it comes out. Just, you know, because.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:13am
Back OT:

Here are the rubbers after 24 hours:

And here after 48 hours:

The dome on the 39deg one looks better in the second image, but it's actually pretty lame and floppy in real life. The 40deg one is firm, and could do some real damage if you smacked a vicar in the face with it, Monty Python style.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:24am

Any problems with the rubber staying glued to the blade with all that arc ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:34am
how many days before that crazy dome disappears?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:40am
I'll keep you posted. They still look the same as the second pic at the moment (we're coming up to the 65 hour mark now). I'm going to wait until they relax a lot more before using them. I was hoping to try them at tonight's training session, but they'll have to wait until next week now.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 12:33pm
Sure, the main thing I wanted to say that  is that having seen what rubber quality can be produced if they really want, I am starting to think that it is futile to spend money on products that - maybe intentionally - are not of the level that they could produce if they wanted to.

That is the end of the off topic remarks from me and it is therefore that it is good fun to find a cheap tuned alternative.

H3Neo 39: I applied two thin coats and it reacted quickly to the tuner. The dome came down after about 10 days. It needed more time to become completely flat. I will try it out this week.

Also, I have got hold of a Three Sword Leap professional and have put one layer of Falco on it. It soaked it in immediately and the dome is strong and comes down extremely slow. I will put it on the same blade with the H3 Neo. Its sponge is interesting, it looks like a transition between ESN small porous sponges and Chinese traditional blue.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 4:01pm
I don't quite understand why such a big dome is needed. IMHO it is not really needed to put so much booster to make rubber play on its maximum ability, but it causes the rubber losing elasticity faster. I put more booster for bigger dome a couple of times and didn't feel much improvement comparing to times I put booster for just a little dome or to restore the flatness when sponge starts shrinking.

Do you guys really get different results with those enormous domes or you just think it's the way it works?
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 4:47pm
I have found that the the degree of the curl is not proportionate to the effect it has. In fact, my experience shows that one layer is enough.

The H3 Neo I am  going to test is totally flat now and I hope the Three Sword will be too by Friday.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 5:34pm
I'm no expert - this is just an experiment for me. Messing around. I'm (mostly) following the advice from the ppball video, and they use 2 thin layers. The theory is that the H3 topsheet is tough, so you need 2 layers to stretch it enough to make a noticeable difference. It will resist the sponge's expansion more than, say, an ESN rubber would. I would guess that provincial or national sheets already have more supple topsheets, and so would need less booster, but that's just my aimless thinking.

That doesn't mean that any of that is actually fact. I may try a single layer next time, if I try again.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 1:04am
for chinese rubbers, you ought to get a dome like this if you can. it doesn't matter much for h3 commercial. effect is small anyway. you can tell by it coming down within 24 hrs. curl is proportionate to effect in general though. if ur lucky and get a good sheet or get a provincial, it won't come down until ~3 days later. neo national took over a week to uncurl to where it could be glued:
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 3:33am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

for chinese rubbers, you ought to get a dome like this if you can. it doesn't matter much for h3 commercial. effect is small anyway. you can tell by it coming down within 24 hrs. curl is proportionate to effect in general though. 

So, I suppose you are talking about placebo effect Wink   I have a sheet of H3Neo from a CNT2 member taken right off his blade and there is no really big difference between it and a boosted commercial. IMO what makes it better is the topsheet (thinner and a bit more elastic) and denser sponge (40 deg while unmarked commercial are normally about 39 deg). The main thing remains the same - to use a Chinese rubber right, you should have proper technique and no booster can make you play better because it just helps to fix small mistakes and to get better feeling of a rubber.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 8:34am
Both rubbers have calmed down quite a lot today.

The 39deg one is still a lot softer than the 40deg one, and it also has some lumpy areas on the sponge. I'll probably order 40deg only in the future.

Will be putting them on blades soon - any recommendations from this list?

Rossi Emotion
Virtuoso Carbon
Avenger Carbon
Nexy Peterpan
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 8:58pm
normally softer and thinner sponge need less layers of booster. If your 39d rubber just use 2 layers. Maybe a thin and thicker layer booster, should be enough. And able to calm down faster too.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 6:06am
I went for the Rossi Emotion in the end. I put the 39deg on there - a clubmate will be trying the 40deg one on a Rapscallion.

Now it's on the blade, things seem pretty great. It doesn't feel too soft, and there's an obvious bit of springiness when bouncing the ball. It's still slow on low-impact bounces though, which you would expect with the tackiness. Hopefully the two thin layers were just enough...

Shame I have to wait until Monday to try it out. I do have a league match tomorrow night, but I'd have to be crazy to use the H3 without any table time. Wouldn't I????
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 7:52am
Yes you would. Specially if it's not broken in...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 9:57am
Ah, the voice of reason. If the fixture ends up being a total loss I might try it out for one set. It's my last league match for quite a while, so it only seems fair to make some effort to do something mental.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 1:22pm
Andy, note that if you can practice / play 2-3 times and break it in by Monday.... ;)

And if you / your team have nothing to lose...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 5:50am
So, not being of sound body OR mind, I ended up using the H3 in the match last night. I should really speak to a councillor or something.

I used my regular setup against their number 1, who is better than me and regularly beats me. Lost. No great shakes. So, the tie was gone and I switched to the H3 setup. And I beat their other two players, who are a similar standard to me. It's usually 50/50, but I beat both comfortably. Very happy with that.

I wasn't particularly happy with the H3 feel on the Rossi Emotion. It was awesome over the table, and I won a lot of points with slow, heavy loop shots. Heavier shots were a bit wild and flat. Obviously some adjustment would be needed, but I'm probably better using a harder feel blade. Not hard, just harder. So it's Virtuoso Carbon or Peterpan next...
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 6:16am
Hinoki + h3 its just wrong :) i know what you mean :)

It will be good on koto or hardened limba
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 6:46am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Hinoki + h3 its just wrong :) i know what you mean :)

It will be good on koto or hardened limba

Hmmm. I wish I hadn't sold my Hypertouch blades. TG3N was great on those.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by stefashka stefashka wrote:

for chinese rubbers, you ought to get a dome like this if you can. it doesn't matter much for h3 commercial. effect is small anyway. you can tell by it coming down within 24 hrs. curl is proportionate to effect in general though. 

So, I suppose you are talking about placebo effect Wink   I have a sheet of H3Neo from a CNT2 member taken right off his blade and there is no really big difference between it and a boosted commercial. IMO what makes it better is the topsheet (thinner and a bit more elastic) and denser sponge (40 deg while unmarked commercial are normally about 39 deg). The main thing remains the same - to use a Chinese rubber right, you should have proper technique and no booster can make you play better because it just helps to fix small mistakes and to get better feeling of a rubber.

it's not placebo effect. i've played with provincial and national hurricane 37-40 deg, then tried commercial briefly while waiting for more pieces. very big difference. 
which member u got from? i pretty much know all ex-CNT players in US. only pro i know who says he doesn't play with booster is zhong zongqi (2530) when i practiced with him. the guy u said probably didn't boost and might have been playing commercial. some of them do bc without boosting, there's only a small difference. a lot of the newer players not competing don't boost either. i practice daily with a shandong luneng (zjk's school) provincial player ~2250 and he said he's never boosted with WBG after the speed glue ban. 

Edited by kurokami - 02/15/2014 at 12:58am
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:36pm

it's not placebo effect. i've played with provincial and national hurricane 37-40 deg, then tried commercial briefly while waiting for more pieces. very big difference. 

So, what is the difference exactly? Maybe I'm making too few mistakes to see how much provincial is more forgiving than commercial or put just enough power and spin from myself that I don't see that the provincial version do it for me? Wink  I see that provincial version is a bit "nicer", "crispier" and more consistent (comparing to commercial, both boosted), but difference is not that big that I should care about adjusting my technique while switching between them.

which member u got from? i pretty much know all ex-CNT players in US. 

I am not in the US and it was not a ex-CNT player, it's a young player from CNT-2, they visited Europe January this year together with Chen Qi and Qiu Yike giving some training to European juniors. 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 3:51pm
I got to try Three Sword Leap professional boosted with one think layer of Falco Long.

It was spinnier than any euro rubber when the ball came to where I was but otherwise it is slow and when the timing is just a bit off, the spin was below average. It felt like I should have put a lot more layers.

H3 Neo 39 deg was very fast and spinny. It felt like an all-wood blade is best with it. More on that later.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 02/16/2014 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic