Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double hit is legal!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by jumpulse jumpulse wrote:

Double-hit is hard to see, but when the racket can move faster than the ball, it becomes a definitive prove of the possibility of prolonged contact.
The reason it's hard to see is because it's not happening.  Watching the interminable loop of a tennis backhand, there is no double hit.  There is not even any "prolonged contact".

If you are a genuine scientist - as you claim to be - why not simply get a high speed camera and provide us with proof?  Until then, you have nothing to say.
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 11:07pm
Happened to me at the LA Open. I did a double hit and scored the point. Opponent pointed out that I did a double hit (finger, then racket) and I confirmed that indeed, it was a double hit. Opponent thought that it was his point but I informed him that the rules changed and brought a umpire to the table to explain the changed rule to my opponent..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Happened to me at the LA Open. I did a double hit and scored the point. Opponent pointed out that I did a double hit (finger, then racket) and I confirmed that indeed, it was a double hit. Opponent thought that it was his point but I informed him that the rules changed and brought a umpire to the table to explain the changed rule to my opponent..

Happened at least twice to me during club league matches and once at a USATT tournament. Two out of three cases my opponents stopped and thought they won the point.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
fall_river View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fall_river Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 8:12am
deliberately double hits serve?
https://youtu.be/UiEcqpDBiFc

Also prolonged contact might be the key to consistency and power.
We need to keep our mind open.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by fall_river fall_river wrote:

If you'd like to identify which of these serves he "deliberately double hits", I'd be most interested.  As far as I can see, there are no double hits; just great serves.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 2:47pm

Those of us who have looked into dwell times and have viewed high speed photos and videos have little reason to have an "open mind" mind about this.  The actual dwell time is so short that the idea that a human bean could somehow modulated their stroke so as to extend our somehow double up this contact seem absurd.  I'm with Tassie on this.  My mind is at "show me" on this topic.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Those of us who have looked into dwell times and have viewed high speed photos and videos have little reason to have an "open mind" mind about this.  The actual dwell time is so short that the idea that a human bean could somehow modulated their stroke so as to extend our somehow double up this contact seem absurd.  I'm with Tassie on this.  My mind is at "show me" on this topic.
How about the idea of racquet acceleration causing multiple hits or increased dwell time?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:21pm
No.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

How about the idea of racquet acceleration causing multiple hits or increased dwell time?

Given the differences in mass, no.  To clarify where I am on this, theorize away.  I just don't think it is worth paying attention to anything short of direct physical evidence.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 5:00pm
A accidental double hit is just play on, but could we learn to do it on purpose?
 when we were kids my brother could somehow do this double hit sliding serve anytime he wanted
I still never knew how (even 40+ years later)
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by jumpulse jumpulse wrote:

Dear jrscatman,

Thank you for raising a good and subtle question: “I watched the Del Potro backhand video on youtube - why do you say that was a double hit? It looked like clean hit, with the racquet accelerating on contact.

I am missing the concept, links are very confusing.”

Double-hit is hard to see, but when the racket can move faster than the ball, it becomes a definitive prove of the possibility of prolonged contact. When the racket is accelerating during a prolonged contact, the acceleration has to slow down sometime and the ball might microscopically oscillate in and out of the ball. You can try double hit by 1. Moving your racket slowly to a standing ball (zero velocity), 2. Upon contact, swing your racket with as much acceleration as possible (you are applying a jumpulse, a sudden change of force), 3. End the swing with an extreme follow through (this is the real reason for follow through). Please report back to me, if you are successful. Thanks. Hugh

jumpulse - I tried the experiment you suggested. I feel it was successful - but need to test it more. I decide to start another thread on the subject. This thread is about legality of double hits - jumpulse topic is different. Here is the link to the new thread:
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:44pm
Could it be Sid messing with people again?
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by hungry cow hungry cow wrote:

Could it be Sid messing with people again?

that was one of my guesses for the culprit
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic