FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing against short pips hitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 2:39am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

To me sp on bh means that's their weaker side and they are compensating for something.  It could be mobility, arm speed, spin recognition, etc.
Why does this myth get repeated over and over again?  There are a lot of very good Chinese players that play with SP on just one side of their cpen  What are they trying to cover up?  What can they cover up?  Do they have weak fore-hands too?  Perhaps you should discuss this with He Zhi Wen.

Sponsored Links

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:22am
Name a top 5 Chinese player with sp?
Sp on a top players blade means their paddle speed isn't competitive anymore for counter looping.  Or they are not as good in reading and countering spin fast enough.

Sp is like bringing a dagger into a sword fight.  Interesting but not as effective.

Señor He,  would you use sp if you were 18 again and on the cnt?  
Tu loco, I would use Ma Lin setup
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:26am

Edited by roundrobin - 10/27/2015 at 12:45pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 8:15am
Tt4me,

The 'hiding something' quote simply means that given the versatility of inverted rubbers, most pips users are people who are unable to use inverted for some reason. The 'good reason' for using pips is that one likes to chop. However, you don't give up a backhand loop unless you never had one. You typically go to pips on the backhand after you have given up on making this your main backhand shot.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 1:20pm

Irrelevant.  That doesn't mean that those use SP have weak BHs.   It doesn't even mean you can't loop with SP because you can.  Looping incoming server top spin balls is a problem and should be avoided but looping back spin or low spin balls is not.   I like the light weight and ease of control of SP.     

Sp is like bringing a dagger into a sword fight.  Interesting but not as effective.
Unless you are too close to use a sword.   SP players will avoid looping/counter looping rallies.

It seems to me that this is what TT is all about.  You chose your weapon and try to make your opponent play your game.

jrscatman is having problems because the SP players are forcing their game on him.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 2:25pm

Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Tt4me,

The 'hiding something' quote simply means that given the versatility of inverted rubbers, most pips users are people who are unable to use inverted for some reason. The 'good reason' for using pips is that one likes to chop. However, you don't give up a backhand loop unless you never had one. You typically go to pips on the backhand after you have given up on making this your main backhand shot.

Watch the SP backhand of Jiang Huajun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKZ2y0glCs

What is she hiding? 

There is a player, an average player, that I cannot frequently attack his SP backhand.  His SP backhand is stronger than his forehand.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 2:56pm
well said roundrobin! The "good reason" to use pips is that one likes to chop. Are you kidding me? I play with SPs to attack/block effectively. Jiang Jialiang and Liu Guoliang used SPs but were anything but a chopper.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

Tt4me,

Watch the SP backhand of Jiang Huajun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKZ2y0glCs

What is she hiding? 

There is a player, an average player, that I cannot frequently attack his SP backhand.  His SP backhand is stronger than his forehand.

Jiang Huajun paddle speed is not as fast as Liu Shi Wen.  Maybe because she's larger.  But many points were lost to Liu when Liu increased her paddle speed and started looping hard and fast.  Jiang even lost a few points against Liu in FH and FH counter looping exchanges, just illustrating she is not as fast as Jiang.

It's a classic game between a looper and a block/hitter.  So most of the points Jiang wins is the off blocking a loop with her BH SP, Liu slow to recover returns a weaker loop, then changing pace to hitting a smash on the next loop, Liu mis-reads the spin vs speed tries to loop and misses the table.

If you know his BH is stronger than is FH, then just keep attacking the FH.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Sp on a top players blade means their paddle speed isn't competitive anymore for counter looping.  Or they are not as good in reading and countering spin fast enough.

Señor He,  would you use sp if you were 18 again and on the cnt?  
Tu loco, I would use Ma Lin setup

The new poly ball may prove otherwise.

As to your assertion that sp users are not as good in reading spin and countering spin fast enough, that's pretty loco alright. 

I didn't say that exclusively.  I stated it might be one reason why they went to SP.  

Nor did I say SP players aren't good.  

What I am saying is that they went to SP to compensate for their inability to sustain a loop vs loop game.  

So you might want to use that against them, if you are a strong looper.  Also assuming you're about the same skill level too.  Because if you have a pretty weak loop, that you think is very strong, they'll smack it right back at you.

But the OP plays with LP on his BH...and twiddles...so maybe my advice is wrong.  But who knows, maybe at his club everyone has sandpaper, LP, anti, or SP on their BH?
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:46pm
Jiang Huajun plays medium pips BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:58pm
I am not ignorant of anything. I am making casual conversation. Short pips are also good for hitting or taking the ball early, and that is why they are more popular in the women's game. I still stand by the claim that a backhand looper will never even consider pips. I say this as a hitter.
Cybershape Carbon
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

Jiang Huajun plays medium pips BH.

I thought Jiang Huajun used TSP Spectol.  Does she use Nittaku or other medium pips?  Please specify.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

To me sp on bh means that's their weaker side and they are compensating for something.  It could be mobility, arm speed, spin recognition, etc.
Why does this myth get repeated over and over again?  There are a lot of very good Chinese players that play with SP on just one side of their cpen  What are they trying to cover up?  What can they cover up?  Do they have weak fore-hands too?  Perhaps you should discuss this with He Zhi Wen.

Well, please take it easy tt4... at a turning point in their development they may have chosen pips to make up for a weakness, and then they developed it nicely into a powerful weapon... I personally know a few who followed that path.

Edited by JacekGM - 04/26/2013 at 9:40pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Good point - my first instinct is to back up, especially trying to chop the ball. Maybe staying up trying to block is a better way to go.

I looked at Dimitri Oftacharov (sp?) play Zhan Jian - these pro guys just loop everything - Dimitri O was looping everything if JacekGM didn't mention Jian was using short pips - I wouldn't have known. I guess watching TT is far more complicated it appears.
Looping with SP is a little different (used to be called "rolling"). The 802-40 is quite spinny for a pip, but still it's a pip. To me there is a huge difference in the shot execution between a fast loop and how Zhan Jian uses his 802-40 for fast topspins. 
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 9:16am

I am not ignorant of anything. I am making casual conversation. Short pips are also good for hitting or taking the ball early, and that is why they are more popular in the women's game. I still stand by the claim that a backhand looper will never even consider pips. I say this as a hitter.

And, what is, to you, a bh looper? A player in our first team, with a Usatt rating of no less then 2500, changed to SP prior to this season. Are you saying that he couldn't loop with his bh? Cause I've seen him play and I certainly think he was perfectly capable of looping with his bh, but he decided to go with SP instead, as he thought this allowed him to finish the point quicker.
The holy grail
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 11:55am
You experiment with different styles and see what best fits your playing style and personality. You commit to a style when you believe it maximizes your game and potential. Some switch to pips because they prefer that playing style. Others do so because they can't get things done with inverted at their level. You can be a 2500 player or even a professional player, but if your BH loop is not good enough to win at your level, you just might consider switching to pips. A BH looper is then simply someone who has committed to looping with inverted on his BH wing because he believes it maximizes his game and potential.
Zhaoyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhaoyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 12:26pm
Whatever you call it, Zhan Jian's forehand is a fully developed, big stroke, and his legs and shoulders and footwork are fully developed too.

So, why would he not use inverted so he can loop? Probably for the same reason some pros use H2 instead of e.g. T05: because they believe driving is more effective than looping.

I agree with that. So, in reply to someone who says people use pips because they can't loop, I could reply that (most people) loop either because they can't hit straight or because they think a loop is more effective than a drive. That's an opinion and they choose their equipment accordingly, just like pips players.

What do I mean "can't hit straight"? On youtube are videos of Gao Jun vs. Ben Johnson (high ranking (U.S.) male looper). It's pretty funny; you should check it out. She makes him look goofy. (No, that doesn't prove anything. It's just funny, like this thread.) Smile

Edited by Zhaoyang - 04/27/2013 at 1:33pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 1:49pm
I can think of two example from the pro ranks that are interesting. Stellan Bengtsson, 1971 World Champion, originally played smooth on both sides. Somewhere in the late seventies or early eighties he switched to SP on the backhand. My impression is that he didn't feel confident that his BH loop was that strong at the world elite level.

Second, more recent example is Johnny Huang, who played SP on both sides. Johnny looped from both sides with his SP but he was able to vary the spin more and have more deception on his loops with SP.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I can think of two example from the pro ranks that are interesting. Stellan Bengtsson, 1971 World Champion, originally played smooth on both sides. Somewhere in the late seventies or early eighties he switched to SP on the backhand. My impression is that he didn't feel confident that his BH loop was that strong at the world elite level.

Second, more recent example is Johnny Huang, who played SP on both sides. Johnny looped from both sides with his SP but he was able to vary the spin more and have more deception on his loops with SP.
There was a time when I tried to mimic Johnny Huang's game... I am back to all inverted, my hitting was great but control on light, especially close to the net balls was terrible. I watched all  available Johnny's matches. I would never say he looped - he hit, blocked, smashed, played drop-shots and fast-rolled. A great athlete, player and a gracious sportsmen.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

You experiment with different styles and see what best fits your playing style and personality. You commit to a style when you believe it maximizes your game and potential. Some switch to pips because they prefer that playing style. Others do so because they can't get things done with inverted at their level. You can be a 2500 player or even a professional player, but if your BH loop is not good enough to win at your level, you just might consider switching to pips. A BH looper is then simply someone who has committed to looping with inverted on his BH wing because he believes it maximizes his game and potential.

+1000.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

And, what is, to you, a bh looper? A player in our first team, with a Usatt rating of no less then 2500, changed to SP prior to this season. Are you saying that he couldn't loop with his bh? Cause I've seen him play and I certainly think he was perfectly capable of looping with his bh, but he decided to go with SP instead, as he thought this allowed him to finish the point quicker.

So what about his game makes this so? He likes to take the ball earlier on just his backhand?

The point here is that looping is a devastating weapon.  If you win points with it a higher level, you would never use pips.
Cybershape Carbon
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

What are the suggested tactics against a backhand short pips hitter. He appears to be able to hit topspins or backspins without much problem. Plays very close to the table.

I am thinking deep shots to his body. But typically what are the shots that work against short pips - as mentioned above - he seems to have no trouble with my spins.
Not that I am trying to keep this thread on the topic... 
my answer is: don't give the short pip hitter spin, play low, light, and place it to move him out of position.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 11:23pm
Thanks JacekGM - As I mentioned earlier - quite a few suggestions have been given - I'll just try it all see which ones I can correctly execute and see which ones my friend has trouble with. Since we are both intermediate players it'll probably come down to least amount of unforced errors.  Taking pace off was something I wasn't trying - I was trying to hit it past him. I would like to beat his short pips BH rather than go away from it - it's sort of interesting trying to figure out a way to neutralize it! 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:43am

So what about his game makes this so? He likes to take the ball earlier on just his backhand?The point here is that looping is a devastating weapon.  If you win points with it a higher level, you would never use pips.

The same thing could be said about SP, they are a devestating weapon when it comes to hitting and if you win points with it at higher level, you would never use inverted.
The holy grail
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:56am

So what about his game makes this so? He likes to take the ball earlier on just his backhand?The point here is that looping is a devastating weapon.  If you win points with it a higher level, you would never use pips.

The same thing could be said about SP, they are a devestating weapon when it comes to hitting and if you win points with it at higher level, you would never use inverted.

Of course, you could say that.  The problem is that most top players don't use short pips and aren't beating double inverted players with them, making the claim empirically vacuous.  So in absolute terms given modern circumstances, inverted is the more flexible and powerful surface.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/28/2013 at 1:57am
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 4:09am

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 5:15am

Of course, you could say that.  The problem is that most top players don't use short pips and aren't beating double inverted players with them, making the claim empirically vacuous.  So in absolute terms given modern circumstances, inverted is the more flexible and powerful surface.

Inverted is the most practiced surface by the Chinese since late 80s because they lost to Sweden and wanted to copy their style.  They have succeeded beyond all expectations, and today they train them by the millions via a human conveyor belt system, in factory-like settings.  It's as simple as that.  The key for China is to keep doing exactly what they are successful in doing until another country starts to beat them.  Them they innovate and try to find something new again.  Short pips styles like LGL, Johnny Huang and Ding Song can definitely beat double inverted players at the very highest level.  The fact is even an Eric Boggan windshield-wiper style with anti on one side can be trained to become world champion if a country like China devote enough resources to it.  Ask LGL or KLH about it yourself.  You like to argue as if you know more than them, but I don't think so. Wink Both of them will tell you any style can be trained to become world champion regardless of the rubbers used, as long as one side has enough "killing" power.  Table tennis is all about strategy, power and positioning, and ultimately the ability to implement them.  Nothing else.  "Monster loop drives with devastating spin from both wings" does not matter if the opponent can consistently return one more shot to end the point.   As you learn more about table tennis in the next decade or two you will understand what I am talking about.  Repeatedly talking trash about other rubbers being "inferior" to inverted, and their users "don't have the ability to use inverted" make you sound extremely ignorant.  If LGL and KLH can respect all rubber surfaces and their users (most CNT coaches are big fans of Eric Boggan) you should listen too.  Wink

In what year did you have these conversations that you use to make it sound like you have experts on your side?  These all sound like ancient history from the spin pips, speed glue and 38mm ball days, and not related at all to contemporary table tennis.

I will let the results speak for themselves.  You simply want to imagine a world in which inverted players are dominated by pips players because you can imagine it.  That world passed away in the 1990s and early 2000s with the rule changes affecting the aspect ratio of pips.

In the real world, pips players are dominated by inverted players simply because the power and spin that inverted can generate from various distances makes it hard to play with pips in the men's game.  That is the sense in which pips are inferior.  If we could change the rules back to what they were before 1998, we would be on a more level playing field.  But pips are now inferior.  It doesn't mean that one can't play well without them. It doesn't mean that they aren't a good surface.   It does mean that if you decide to go with pips instead of inverted, you simply decided to give up on playing a high spin game.  And a high spin game, given the power men possess, is going to be the dominant TT game unless the new ball does something to change that (unlikely).
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 5:36am

Edited by roundrobin - 10/27/2015 at 12:46pm
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 7:33am

Inverted is the most practiced surface by the Chinese since late 80s because they lost to Sweden and wanted to copy their style.  They have succeeded beyond all expectations, and today they train them by the millions via a human conveyor belt system, in factory-like settings.  It's as simple as that.  The key for China is to keep doing exactly what they are successful in doing until another country starts to beat them.  Them they innovate and try to find something new again.  Short pips styles like LGL, Johnny Huang and Ding Song can definitely beat double inverted players at the very highest level.  The fact is even an Eric Boggan windshield-wiper style with anti on one side can be trained to become world champion if a country like China devote enough resources to it.  Ask LGL or KLH about it yourself.  You like to argue as if you know more than them, but I don't think so. Wink Both of them will tell you any style can be trained to become world champion regardless of the rubbers used, as long as one side has enough "killing" power.  Table tennis is all about strategy, power and positioning, and ultimately the ability to implement them.  Nothing else.  "Monster loop drives with devastating spin from both wings" does not matter if the opponent can consistently return one more shot to end the point.   As you learn more about table tennis in the next decade or two you will understand what I am talking about.  Repeatedly talking trash about other rubbers being "inferior" to inverted, and their users "don't have the ability to use inverted" make you sound extremely ignorant.  If LGL and KLH can respect all rubber surfaces and their users (most CNT coaches are big fans of Eric Boggan) you should listen too.  Wink

IMO roundrobin is right on the money, and NextLevel should give us all a rest from his tedious theories which only serve to highlight his lack of real knowledge which he tries to disguise with high school debating techniques. Its really sad that the few knowledgeable posters on the forum are continually interrupted by pathetic types, who are unable to admit that others are wiser.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic