Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

My uneducated guess is that the shop cut the rubbers before sticking them on, and got the cut slightly wrong.  I do this myself all the time.  It doesn't bother me, but everyone's expectations are different of course.

really? who the heck cuts them first? why would you do that?

i'd say they either moved the rubbers from another blade for some reason, or stretched them and they shrunk back... which means that's probably as far as they'll retreat at this point
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Rhyzm does shrink, but much less than other tensors.    The Emotion isn't the same head size as other blades so this was likely a mistake along the lines that Andy suggested.  On the other than hand, this is quite trivial IMO, but people who pay are the ones who should determine what they are willing to accept.

I agree this shouldn't affect play much (other than my own fear of hitting the table anywhere near those parts to damage the blade). That said, for the price I paid I do expect the shop to meet an acceptable standard. I can understand if a mistake was made, as Andy suggested, but what I can't understand is the "oh well" mentality to let the mistake slide onto the customer. Basically, if I were assembling a paddle for a customer and that happened, you bet that I'd re-do it. I just think it's the right thing to do over assuming the customer also won't care. It seems I'm more picky about my paddles than some of you here Embarrassed, but I think it's fair to expect something to be done right when purchased brand new from a shop. 

Does this blade feel lighter than it actually is? I requested a blade between 80-85g, the box I got is stickered with the number 67, which I hope isn't the weight. It does feel light just swinging, but the headsize is smaller than what I typically use and the rubbers on mine are even smaller than the blade face so it might just be more headlight than what I'm used to.
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:47pm
Ztec, timtts is also a discount shop. That factors into my assessment of the situation. Not a big excuse, but I would hold full price retailers to a higher standard and do the things an experienced player should do myself.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 9:11pm

Ztec, timtts is also a discount shop. That factors into my assessment of the situation. Not a big excuse, but I would hold full price retailers to a higher standard and do the things an experienced player should do myself.

I've been refraining from mentioning the shop out of respect until the situation is resolved, but I did NOT buy this from timtts. 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 11:30pm
Thank God for that. Since we all bought ours from Timtts, this is great news.
Cybershape Carbon
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 11:43pm

Thank God for that. Since we all bought ours from Timtts, this is great news.

Yep, I can't speak for Timtts, but from this thread it sounds like everyone got the order they wanted. 

Back to the blade: does yours feel lighter compared to a blade of similar weight? Most of the blades I've used in the past have been on the more head heavy side, so I'm not really familiar with what head light blades feel like LOL

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 12:21am
I think there is some balance towards the handle, but I think that balances out with head heavy rubbers like the modern ones (Tenergy, Rhyzm etc.).   I like light rubbers and blades in any case so I have no complaints about the weight distribution - I have 72, 74 and 84 g blades, the first two being straight and the last being a flare, and they all play pretty similarly.
Cybershape Carbon
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 12:58am
With a 50+g rhyzm max and lighter but still 45g nimbus max, I get a balance neutral setup with my 84g emotion and that tends to show me the blade's center of gravity is closer to the handle than its direct competitors as nl points out.
That could actually be one of the reasons of its success: people do not feel the setup much head heavy even when they have 50+gr on both sides; many people do not like anything that grabs their attention without making them play any better and head heavy would do that for them; another possibility is that they want head heavy like before the tensor era which is about the same than a JRE + 2 max tensors today; just speculating here.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2013 at 11:36pm
I also coach with the rossi emotion and those rubbers. I decided not to touch anymore the slow setup that I used for coaching; now I do everything with the JRE and those rubbers in my signature and it translates in better play overall for me. A few people contacted me in the same week 2 weeks ago to come in my basement and get info, playtime; I have been busy with the JRE for all those hours. I wanted before to give them a slower block and easier balls with an ALL blade + cheap rubbers but I am convinced now the pace is what beginners really need to get used to so it's better for them and my own game that I use my personal setup with them, not too fast for them, not to slow for me --> one more good point for the blade!
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 4:19am
You sealed the Rosskopf Emotion?

Edited by Ray - 12/15/2013 at 4:19am
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I also coach with the rossi emotion and those rubbers. I decided not to touch anymore the slow setup that I used for coaching; now I do everything with the JRE and those rubbers in my signature and it translates in better play overall for me. A few people contacted me in the same week 2 weeks ago to come in my basement and get info, playtime; I have been busy with the JRE for all those hours. I wanted before to give them a slower block and easier balls with an ALL blade + cheap rubbers but I am convinced now the pace is what beginners really need to get used to so it's better for them and my own game that I use my personal setup with them, not too fast for them, not to slow for me --> one more good point for the blade!

I've always thought about this but never made up my mind.
Most player/coaches that I see in action, use their regular blade 100% of the time. I think it's because they never had an EJ streak in them.
Yet, I also know a very successful coach, who created several internationals from near scratch, and is an EJ. His bag always has >5 combo bats from regular to HB & LP/anti stuff. During the multi-ball portion of a coaching session, he twiddles the combo blades. All his students that I know turned out to be either very good against combo stuff or became  combo users themselves.
Rowden is still active even though he's >80yo. 

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 12:39am
Is sealing required / recommended for the JRE?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 2:28am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

only if you want to protect the blade
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:15am
I haven't sealed any of mine, but I haven't changed any of my rubbers either so take that with a pinch of salt.  Well, I probably have removed and reglued one of them, but that was about it.
Cybershape Carbon
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:29am
I have one for sale, brand new for 40 euros shipping included.
Blade: Viscaria
FH: Dignics 05 2.1
BH: ABS 2 pro
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:33am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I have glued and removed rubbers from my JRE.

I use WBG (Copydex) and find that the Hinoki does not require sealing as its fibres are quite densely packed. The surface is very smooth and rubbers peel away without problem.

So as far as I'm concerned, my 2 hinoki blades (JRE + XZQ) do not require sealing.

Note that this is not true with Koto and Limba, especially for the slower blades (e.g. appelgreen senso) where sealing is compulsory if you want the blade to remain in good condition.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 8:55am
It's interesting that you do not need to seal the JRE.  From the closed-up picture that Fatt took, it looks like it needs to be sealed.  I did not seal my Primorac Carbon (which also has Hinoki top), and even with a weak bond from Tear Mender, I got a splinter when I removed the rubber a few months later (Note: I think if you change rubbers frequently, it may not cause problem, my 1st rubber change at 2 weeks, did not cause problem).  I now seal my PC, but even with a light seal, it become extremely fast.  I guess the Hinoki absorbs the sealant well, and becomes harder, so be careful when you seal.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 12:28pm
I'll forever be baffled that members of this forum won't simply apply a thin coat of minwax satin poly

it's a no-brainer to me

oh well
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 1:18pm
I use exclusively copydex now; too easy not to switch to it; I have not had pbs taking off rubbers but before applying rubbers i did slightly sprayed poly with a paper towell just in case and sanded with 800 grit. the blade's faces feels as smooth as some parts of my body when I was  a baby and I did not have adherence pbs after getting better at gluing, after finding the right amount for the highest adherence/[(quantity-of-glue) x (marks- visible-through-topsheet)] ratio.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

I'll forever be baffled that members of this forum won't simply apply a thin coat of minwax satin poly

it's a no-brainer to me

oh well

Maybe that's why your blade played badly...
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:26pm

it's a no-brainer to me

oh well

Maybe that's why your blade played badly...

lol
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:40pm

My uneducated guess is that the shop cut the rubbers before sticking them on, and got the cut slightly wrong.  I do this myself all the time.  It doesn't bother me, but everyone's expectations are different of course.

I always cut first. it just easier
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I always cut first. it just easier

this is the weirdest approach i can think of guys

p.s. I've easily assembled 100 new sheets of rubber
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 4:03pm

this is the weirdest approach i can think of guys

p.s. I've easily assembled 100 new sheets of rubber

I don't know - I can think of some pretty weird ways.

I cut first, glue later.  I find it easier to get a nice smooth cut with scissors on the rubber first.  I'm a lot faster this way too - takes me ages to cut cleanly if the rubber is already on the blade.  Also, since the water-based glue came in, if I cut around the blade then the very edge of the rubber comes away slightly, and it's hard to just stick it down again.  With old glue this wasn't a problem because it stayed slightly tacky for ages.

I'm not saying it's the best way, but it's not a bad way either.

Edited by AndySmith - 12/17/2013 at 4:06pm
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 4:06pm
okay well now that you mention the wbg part, i can see part of the argument, as i've noticed that edge issue

just another reason why i use regular rubber cement

DEATH TO WBG!!!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 4:11pm

okay well now that you mention the wbg part, i can see part of the argument, as i've noticed that edge issue

DEATH TO WBG!!!

I'm just a WBG hipster.  I cut first because it's cool, yo.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 4:14pm

DEATH TO WBG!!!
Now I know you are really lost... sealing blades and using rubber cement???
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 4:18pm

DEATH TO WBG!!!
Now I know you are really lost... sealing blades and using rubber cement???

yep, the best of both worlds
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2013 at 1:22am
I understand purists who do not seal but I can't help it since my work is so light it can't possibly be felt afterwards yet the splintering risk is gone for good. spraying poly followed by a very light sanding job offers too many advantages to be avoided while the inconveniences are just purely psychological; however when something bothers a player it WILL affect play and that's why the rather extremist position of not sealing for purity reasons is respectable.
water based glue is my way today after many years of paper cement+ bestine. wbg is just too easy to control (after a few screw ups) to be avoided; also the satisfaction to be sure not to change any characteristics of the sponge is rewarding; not even counting the fact it is easy to remove.

Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2013 at 4:04am
Sealing makes bat feel harder. Several blind tests from myself and other players across my many years of play have proved that.

I have never tried to put a single very thin coat though, but anything that hardens has to make the outer ply behave differently, and I want my Hinoki / Limba to be as soft as they are supposed to.

With Copydex and dense wood like Hinoki (or Koto), I have not had a splintering problem yet (/touches wood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic