Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS 40+ Ball Pix and Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 8:01pm
Quote After all, if you had control of the situation, would you be moving to the polyball?

Yes I would actually, to make the world a safer place...

It has to go... It's very dangerous stuff...

Edited by CraneStyle - 07/01/2014 at 8:02pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Big sweeping statements...

You don't know who will be the market leader with the poly ball...

One major competition with too many broken balls could see the crumbling of a leading brand...

XuShaofa Sponsorship of a few comps. .... A few banners on TV... Who knows...?

There's always space for good quality 3 Star balls at a good price for amateur players...

I think the fact that DHS has the ITTF contract and was "in bed" with the ITTF from the beginning on the switch to non-celluloid really increases the likelihood that the DHS ball will be a market leader for a while.  They'd have to produce junk ball for that not to be the case.  And that, while possible, seems unlikely.

Yeah, DHS may sanction a lot of competitions but we will buy what has consistent quality and good value...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 9:40pm

Quote After all, if you had control of the situation, would you be moving to the polyball?

No, it is not very dangerous stuff. The safety history of the celluloid ball (including its manufacture) over the past 100 years (and especially the last 50 years) is actually quite good.  The cars we use to drive to and from table tennis halls, club and tournaments are tremendously more dangerous.  Government labor laws in China are far more dangerous.  You want a safer ball?  Mandate that it be manufactured in Europe, Japan or the USA.

Considering the fact that we don't really know much about the materials and methods that are used and that will be used to make the new poly balls, it is very difficult to say that there has been even a small marginal improvement in safety with this switch.  You could argue, that for vendors and suppliers the new poly ball will a bit more convenient.  But I think that's about as far as it goes.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 9:43pm

Yeah, DHS may sanction a lot of competitions but we will buy what has consistent quality and good value...

My observation in the U.S. is that the ball used in sanctioned tournaments has a huge influence on what players purchase and play with.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:17am
Does anyone know or have a good indication of the number of ball producing companies/factories?
From what I gather from forum browsing, there are 4 or 5 majors.
Xushafu
DHS
Double Fish
Butterfly
and maybe Nittaku

Are the others are too small to affect anything except the fakes?

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Does anyone know or have a good indication of the number of ball producing companies/factories?
From what I gather from forum browsing, there are 4 or 5 majors.
Xushafu
DHS
Double Fish
Butterfly
and maybe Nittaku

Are the others are too small to affect anything except the fakes?

As for now, it looks like DHS/DF joint affair is producing the seamed ball for the majority of companies (also for Butterfly or TSP, it's clearly stamped "made in China")

The other seamed ball is made by Nittaku - while Nittaku is also offering a chinese made seamed ball called Nittaku SHA 40+

The seamless balls are Palio and XSF - obviously also sold to some other brands....
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 3:23am
That looks like 4 manufacturers, 2 seamed and 2 seamless. Interesting.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 5:12am

No, it is not very dangerous stuff. The safety history of the celluloid ball (including its manufacture) over the past 100 years (and especially the last 50 years) is actually quite good.  The cars we use to drive to and from table tennis halls, club and tournaments are tremendously more dangerous.  Government labor laws in China are far more dangerous.  You want a safer ball?  Mandate that it be manufactured in Europe, Japan or the USA.

Considering the fact that we don't really know much about the materials and methods that are used and that will be used to make the new poly balls, it is very difficult to say that there has been even a small marginal improvement in safety with this switch.  You could argue, that for vendors and suppliers the new poly ball will a bit more convenient.  But I think that's about as far as it goes.

YES IT IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS!

I'm not going to say anymore, but this...

The terrible T's can use the old balls as an accelerant to make big bangs...

Its lighter and more combustable than sugar...

Table tennis opinions have nothing to do with it...

This ball has got to go....

Think about it... The WORLD will be a safer place...

Edited by CraneStyle - 07/02/2014 at 4:20pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 8:42am

DHS/DF who manufacture for the rest - seamed.
Nittaku 40 SHA+ - I suspect this is a DHS ball, but I may be wrong - seamed.
Nittaku Premium - seamed.
XuShaofa/Palio - seamless (have no reason to believe they have independent manufacturers at the current time). 

So to me, it really looks more like 2 (maybe 3) seamed and 1 seamless.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:08am
Thanks for the info.
I wonder if we can speculate that Butterfly is holding back as they know something that the rest don't?
Maybe it's a marketing ploy or a technical one as they are just not ready and want to see what's out there.

Edited by Tinykin - 07/02/2014 at 9:09am
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:39am

Thanks for the info.
I wonder if we can speculate that Butterfly is holding back as they know something that the rest don't?
Maybe it's a marketing ploy or a technical one as they are just not ready and want to see what's out there.

Based on the country where Butterfly's ball is manufactured (I believe it has just been approved), we will have an answer.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:47am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The XuShaofa ball, because it is seamless, is going to be nothing more than an interesting side conversation - nothing leads me to believe it will be widely adopted - it got most of its recognition by being first to market.

I disagree with the recognition bit.  It got most of its recognition because this was the design we were "promised" when the non-celluloid ball "program" was first announced and promoted by Adham Sharara.  This was what the new ball was "supposed" to be.  But they had problems keeping the wall thickness consistent.  Then there were disputes between the companies.  So DHS and others "punted" and developed non-celluloid seamed balls as a solution - possibly also as a solution to the problem of certain patents which were covered by patents.  A seamed ball should allow more flexibility in the choice of plastics that are used.

I agree that the seamless ball has been marginalized.  That's a shame, because the seamless concept has the theoretical potential to finally deliver balls with a "true" flight and bounce.

I understand your disagreement and I think that disagreement likely applies to people who know all the nuances of these things like you.  For most of us, what we wanted was an approved plastic ball and XuShaofa had the first approved plastic ball.  If DHS had a seamed approved plastic ball, most people would not have known the difference or that it wasn't what the ITTF promised originally.  If fact, people still use the term poly ball to apply to all plastic balls, just not the original seamless design that the ITTF promised.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:51am

Thanks for the info.

Based on the country where Butterfly's ball is manufactured (I believe it has just been approved), we will have an answer.

As I already wrote before - Butterfly is "Made in China", i.e. DHS - as long as I know (well, that's only a few years) Butterfly seemed never very interested in investing more than necessary in quality balls (ok, that's my personal perception opnly) TSP and Nittaku have been the ones to go looking for the "best".
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 10:07am

Edited by CraneStyle - 07/02/2014 at 10:49am
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 10:44am
Talked to a tsp distributor he sad that tsp didn't even started producing cell free balls yet.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Talked to a tsp distributor he sad that tsp didn't even started producing cell free balls yet.

Well, they probably don't have to "produce", they just sell them....
At least they must have sent in some for approval to ITTF as they're already on the list:
With seam and "Made in China" = DHS

Edited by tt-panopticum - 07/02/2014 at 10:55am
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 1:48pm
He says they want to produce a cell free ball with premium quality in Japan. But "they had to wait for nittaku" maybe they are using the same facility
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:43pm

YES IT IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS!

I'm not going to say anymore, but this...

The terrible T's can use the old balls as an accelerant to make big bangs...

Its lighter and more combustable than sugar...

Table tennis opinions have nothing to do with it...

This ball has got to go....

Think about it... The WORLD will be a safer place...

I have thought about it and I've actually looked into it. It is very hard to find anyone harmed by TT balls or the manufacture of TT balls.  Considering that millions of them have been made for decades, you would think that if they were unsafe that there would be all kinds of reports of harm.  But such reports are hard to find. On the scale of hazardous items that we live with, TT balls are way, way, way down on the list - somewhere below water buckets.

There are many things more flammable than sugar (odd choice of comparison there) and we keep them safely in our homes all the time - rubbing alcohol, butane, propane, natural gas, lighter fluid, rubber cement, wood (we build homes and make table tennis rackets with wood), matches, kerosene, gasoline, gunpowder, candle wax, and probably much more.

As I said, given what we do know about celluloid balls and their track record and what we don't know about the new balls, there's no good way of knowing if there will be an even miniscule improvement in safety from the new balls.  I think any difference will be far to small to measure with any accuracy.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

DHS BALLS have just emerged on Taobao,   fairly affordable pricing.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39077740479

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8093901345

Boys,
In the case somebody has came in possession of this product, take care to instantly post here your own findings&impression of the DHS product in most scrupulous manner and with less possible delay.
Please.

I just hope they're genuine, or there's little point in a review. Embarrassed

I have had a look at one of the TaoBao links.

A few things don't add up, here is one of them. The inconsistent labelling where one ball shows "40+ ITTF APPROVED" and the other shows "40+ITTF APPROVED". Where has the space character gone to? (see below image)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Please note, I am not here to say the seller is a cheat. I just want to point out a few flaws with the image used on their site.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:49pm

DHS/DF who manufacture for the rest - seamed.
Nittaku 40 SHA+ - I suspect this is a DHS ball, but I may be wrong - seamed.
Nittaku Premium - seamed.
XuShaofa/Palio - seamless (have no reason to believe they have independent manufacturers at the current time). 

So to me, it really looks more like 2 (maybe 3) seamed and 1 seamless.

DHS and DFish produce their celluloid balls in their own factories, separate from each other. It follows that they will continue to do so for the cellulose diacetate ball.
Nittaku's celluloid balls are produced in Koga, Ibaraki Prefecture. The material for their new seamed ball is currently unknown. I can only assume it's the same material as in DHS/DFish case.
According to Table Tennis Kingdom report, TSP's new seamed ball is made of the same material. It comes as an unexpected surprise they opt to source from China.
Butterfly new seamed ball is made in China. At this moment the only sources are either DHS or DFish.

Palio have their own factory/-ies somewhere in China. It's likely they've bought the polyball assembly lines along with the patent.
Xushaofa do not have any factory to the best of my knowledge.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 3:10pm
I wouldn't be surprised to find that there is some kind of dual pass method when two different ink colors are used and that there can be registration variations because of this.  In other words, the balls are probably "stamped" twice and there can be some shift in registration between the two "stamps."  Not that the red "Made in China" portion is shifted in the same direction as the "+" sign.

Edited by wturber - 07/02/2014 at 3:12pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 3:36pm

I wouldn't be surprised to find that there is some kind of dual pass method when two different ink colors are used and that there can be registration variations because of this.  In other words, the balls are probably "stamped" twice and there can be some shift in registration between the two "stamps."  Not that the red "Made in China" portion is shifted in the same direction as the "+" sign.

I see your point :) However, it is still much deviation I reckon. So let's look beyond the ball. Let's look at the packaging.

I have compared the image of the packaging shown on the TaoBao website versus the image on the DHS website. They are not the same. The 3rd star should touch the edge of the top flap. But this is not the case with the image on TaoBao - which shows the 3rd star significantly away from the edge of the top flap.

Sounds fishy to me. Again, there are other inconsistencies; but I will not mention them.

The box on the right is from the DHS website.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

I see your point :) However, it is still much deviation I reckon. So let's look beyond the ball. Let's look at the packaging.

I have compared the image of the packaging shown on the TaoBao website versus the image on the DHS website. They are not the same. The 3rd star should touch the edge of the top flap. But this is not the case with the image on TaoBao - which shows the 3rd star significantly away from the edge of the top flap.

Sounds fishy to me. Again, there are other inconsistencies; but I will not mention them.

You are assuming a degree of precision in the printing, cutting and folding processes used to make those boxes that I don't think is realistic.

Professional printing expects and allows for these kind of variatons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleed_%28printing%29

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 5:25pm

You are assuming a degree of precision in the printing, cutting and folding processes used to make those boxes that I don't think is realistic.

Professional printing expects and allows for these kind of variatons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleed_%28printing%29

Ok, valid point. So, let's continue looking at the bigger picture. Here's another difference with the packaging.

The packaging on the TaoBao website shows "40+ ITTF APPROVED" whereas on the DHS website shows "40+ I.T.T.F. APPROVED".

But just to repeat, in no ways am I saying that the seller on TaoBao is a cheat. I just want to highlight my observation. What I think probably has happened is DHS has changed the packaging and what is on their website is an old photo.

Anyway, I have ordered some DHS plastic balls from an online retailer so I will find out a bit more about it once my parcel arrives.

(See the bits highlighted in the yellow box).

Edited by hithithit - 07/02/2014 at 5:31pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 8:24pm
TAKE IT, WEIGH IT... LIVE SECURE LIFE..

Just subjected a most convincing request into DHS factory's technical department asking for THE actual mass of the dhs elite-quality plastic balls, special selection.

Every conscious man should be in possession of fine pocket jewlry scale, I truly delighed to be a happy owner of this nice electronic device. Truth is in numbers, you know.     

So now., once we know a true weight of DHS balls as coming directly out of factory source, we could surely tell if the products with DHS logo to come to our hand from a casual shop is a fake or original ball, by trying the ball in most accurate manner on digital balance to 0.01 g.
NOTE: All balls *** (ITTF logo) from a pack must be of one same mass with possible divergence of weight no more than 0.03 g.
Weight evaluation is the best practical test to verify authentity of the balls. I like doing this...

LO... LO.. LO.. LO..
You, dirty Faker, go and eat your ear, never can you cheat a smart engineer. Just don't mind it.      

Edited by igorponger - 07/03/2014 at 9:26am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 8:29pm
Perhaps we can ask AndySmith to take some real pictures of the package of the one(s) he got from tt11?

The stamp of the DHS cellulose diacetate ball from ITTF corresponds with that on the one the dude got from taobao.

The stamp from the one on tt11 looks like this, which doesn't look right:

The ads on tt11 even has "CTTA APPROVED" instead:

Verdict: Pre-production vs market release.

Edited by zeio - 07/02/2014 at 8:56pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

Ok, valid point. So, let's continue looking at the bigger picture. Here's another difference with the packaging.

The packaging on the TaoBao website shows "40+ ITTF APPROVED" whereas on the DHS website shows "40+ I.T.T.F. APPROVED".

But just to repeat, in no ways am I saying that the seller on TaoBao is a cheat. I just want to highlight my observation. What I think probably has happened is DHS has changed the packaging and what is on their website is an old photo.

Anyway, I have ordered some DHS plastic balls from an online retailer so I will find out a bit more about it once my parcel arrives.

(See the bits highlighted in the yellow box).

The change in ITTF is the first thing you've brought up that I think may be worth being concerned about.  But even then, this is a new product and I can easily imagine how subtle changes can be made as the product and its availability evolve.  I produce video and graphics for a living and can tell you first hand that little details like this get changed for reasons that most people would consider to be inconsequential.  Also, if I was going to counterfeit a package, I'd probably manage to get the periods right if I did pretty well on the rest of the package.  I think counterfeits are more likely to be revealed by things like quality of printing and materials than a discrepancy on the periods.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Verdict: Pre-production vs market release.

I think you have nailed it.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:45pm

The change in ITTF is the first thing you've brought up that I think may be worth being concerned about.  But even then, this is a new product and I can easily imagine how subtle changes can be made as the product and its availability evolve.  I produce video and graphics for a living and can tell you first hand that little details like this get changed for reasons that most people would consider to be inconsequential.  Also, if I was going to counterfeit a package, I'd probably manage to get the periods right if I did pretty well on the rest of the package.  I think counterfeits are more likely to be revealed by things like quality of printing and materials than a discrepancy on the periods.

True. I think zeio has nailed it. Pre-production vs market release.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 11:41pm
Got mine from tt11 today
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic